New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Can I use improved trip even with a weapon, say a sword or a lance?

also.. can I use a regular lance the way a tournament lance would be used, to spitroast my enemy charging him on horseback?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can I use improved trip even with a weapon, say a sword or a lance?

You can only make trip attempts with weaponsthat specifically allow such, like a guisarme or a spiked chain.

As for your second question, you can, however, use a lance like that. When making a mounted charge, a lance deals double damage.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

1. No. You can only trip either unarmed, or using a tripping weapon.
    2. That’s why lances do double damage on a mounted charge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

1. In Pathfinder you can trip with any weapon; in 3.5 only with weapons with the 'trip' quality.
    2. If by 'spitroast' you mean doing much more damage, then yes.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If you have Improved Trip, BAB +2, and Str 15 you can take Knock Down which would allow you to trip every time you deal 10+ damage with any attack (including a sword or a lance) which is neat because it carries the effect of a free attack following a successful trip attempt.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

we are limited to core books and dragon lance setting manual.
    I also made a boobie in that I meant to say Longspear, not lance

so.. can I use the longspear as a lance, or is it only the lance that can be used in that (jousting) fashion?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Weapons do what they say they do.

You can talk to the GM about treating a longspear as a lance, but you could also just use a lance.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Weapons do what they say they do.

You can talk to the GM about treating a longspear as a lance, but you could also just use a lance.
    yeah.. but I can use the longspear also when I'm on foot.. the lance doesn't seem geared in that direction (at least, not in my mind, it doesn't seem to be that way according to the rules, as far as I can tell).
    I'd rather not lug around a whole bunch of stuff when I can't use it.
    Last edited by dehro; 2018-01-03 at 10:15 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    yeah.. but I can use the longspear also when I'm on foot.. the lance doesn't seem geared in that direction (at least, not in my mind, it doesn't seem to be that way according to the rules, as far as I can tell).
    There's nothing stopping you from using a lance while on foot. It becomes two-handed instead of one-handed, and lacks the charging bonus, but it still works perfectly fine. Unless you find yourself having to brace against a charge with great frequency, there's very little difference between a lance and a longspear while on foot. Both are 1d8 piercing two-handed reach weapons with a x3 crit modifier.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    There's nothing stopping you from using a lance while on foot. It becomes two-handed instead of one-handed, and lacks the charging bonus, but it still works perfectly fine. Unless you find yourself having to brace against a charge with great frequency, there's very little difference between a lance and a longspear while on foot. Both are 1d8 piercing two-handed reach weapons with a x3 crit modifier.
    Piggybacking on this, a lance does not necessarily have to look like the ones used in jousting. A lighter weight, thinner, more manageable lance (that looks like a longspear) would probably do you and your character just fine.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

You can leave it in your horse's saddlebags (I'm guessing it'd just be held in there and be sticking out, not contained) and only equip it when you're riding it if you don't want to carry it around, though like the others said, you could also use the lance while on foot.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

heh.. I've started to kit out the character... so far I've bought him a halbert and a flail for tripping, a sword, a lance a dagger and a longbow...

I think that if the horse doesn't run off with my gear (again), I'll be able to focus on having precisely the wrong weapon in hands at the wrong time.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by radthemad4 View Post
    You can leave it in your horse's saddlebags (I'm guessing it'd just be held in there and be sticking out, not contained) and only equip it when you're riding it if you don't want to carry it around, though like the others said, you could also use the lance while on foot.
    Anyone, who's seen how the Old Shatterhand stored his 2 rifles on the Hatatitla, should be familiar with the way you store an oversized weapon on your horse (hint: it does stick out).
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow...That's a trip down memory lane...
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Anyone, who's seen how the Old Shatterhand stored his 2 rifles on the Hatatitla, should be familiar with the way you store an oversized weapon on your horse (hint: it does stick out).
    The who store his what on the where?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Hatatitla was Old Shatterhand's horse. Old Shatterhand had two rifles and would store one in his saddle bags.
    Old Shatterhand being one of the 2 protagonists of the books written by Karl May, whilst the other one was the archetypal noble savage, Winnetou, chief of the Apache nation.
    I read these books some 25 years ago, so this was a nice callback.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The who store his what on the where?
    I was wondering how many people here would get that reference. Though surely you know what a rifle is, right? That's the answer to the "what" part of your question

Hatatitla was Old Shatterhand's horse. Old Shatterhand had two rifles and would store one in his saddle bags.
    Old Shatterhand being one of the 2 protagonists of the books written by Karl May, whilst the other one was the archetypal noble savage, Winnetou, chief of the Apache nation.
    I read these books some 25 years ago, so this was a nice callback.
    Couldn't have explained it better myself. The fact that the OP got the reference, makes this even better.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    I was wondering how many people here would get that reference. Though surely you know what a rifle is, right? That's the answer to the "what" part of your question
    To be fair, 'rifle' is a term that includes anything from handguns to Schwerer Gustav, so isn't horribly specific.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    If you have Improved Trip, BAB +2, and Str 15 you can take Knock Down which would allow you to trip every time you deal 10+ damage with any attack (including a sword or a lance) which is neat because it carries the effect of a free attack following a successful trip attempt.
    Improved Trip lets you make an attack after a successful trip as if you had not used your attack for the trip attempt. If you made an attack using the Knock Down feat your attack was used to cause damage, then you got a free trip attempt as a result of the feat. Once your opponent is down you don't get an additional attack since you've already used your attack to cause the initial damage.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    To be fair, 'rifle' is a term that includes anything from handguns to Schwerer Gustav, so isn't horribly specific.
    Huh? Are you sure about that? I'm not a native speaker, but it's my understanding that while a gun, or a firearm is a more general term, a rifle is... well, a rifle.