New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 136 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344456085135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

I still say it'd be neat to see T-shirts added to the options. I know I'd definitely fork over money for it.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by keldorn View Post
    Well, if it's uncertain what comes next, I have two ideas for squeezing money out of online OOTS readers.

One is that about a week before the drive ends, a message should go up saying that the online comic will be quiet for several weeks after the Kickstarter whilst Rich works on the creative material for the OOTS drive but How the Paladin got his Scar is already written and will be sent out as soon as Kickstarter passon the contact details of everyone whose payment has fully gone through. I'm sure a number of people who haven't yet forked out will be persuaded to pay up by the threat of going cold turkey.

As far as getting extra money out of those of us who have already paid, then my idea is a voucher scheme. As an example, it could be to spend $5 or more above the cost of everything you are already paying for (including postage etc) to get $10 off an OOTS order of $20 or more from Ookookdook. This would be limited to one voucher per person. The vouchers would expire at the end of 2013.

It would leave Rich not having to commit to what the next book is or when it comes out. We would hope that some new book would appear in that time but would know that there was always the option of buying something else as a Xmas present at the end of next year. And he can even adjust the price of the next book if 100,000 people sign up for the voucher. If it were added as a $5 option, it would even give something for the people who already have all the books and don't want knickknacks something to sign up to.
    Originally coupons were going to be in the rewards but kickstarter won't allow that, iirc

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    I still say it'd be neat to see T-shirts added to the options. I know I'd definitely fork over money for it.
    I would up my pledge in a heartbeat if I could get more copies of some of the Con exclusive shirts. Specifically, Davinci Roy (Scroll down to update on 7/30/2006). Yes there is text on the shirt and it is mirrored and inverted.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    I would up my pledge in a heartbeat if I could get more copies of some of the Con exclusive shirts. Specifically, Davinci Roy (Scroll down to update on 7/30/2006). Yes there is text on the shirt and it is mirrored and inverted.
    I'd love to get my hands on the other two shirts there.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huh. 45 minutes after I change my pledge, and no one has grabbed the now-available $57 signed NCftPB.

I wonder how long that will last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I had grabbed it, but then I realized it didn't do what I needed it to do, and I don't need a signed book that much. So I let it go again and changed back up to my original gift.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Firbolg in the Playground

Useless but neat little factoid: the number of backers just crept up above 4000.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thri-Kreen Vaarsuvius looks terrifying . I have to admit, I'd prefer it if V was still an elf in that. Still, it looks like it'll be an awesome story, and I'm so glad I could be a backer in this drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Agreed. I'd be willing to increase my pledge if t-shirt options were added. Or basically any other non-book rewards are added, since I already own all the books (and I've already pledged for the print as well).
    Last edited by Lira; 2012-01-29 at 11:03 PM.
    Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lira View Post
    Thri-Kreen Vaarsuvius looks terrifying . I have to admit, I'd prefer it if V was still an elf in that.
    Yes, but a Thri-Kreen can so easily be stated to be the opposite of androgynous: Rich could declare the entire race to be hermaphrodite. Which it is absolutely perfect for DS!V: we not only know for sure what hirs sex is, it is both.

And I can see DS!V being a psionic, now that someone has suggested it, rather than a straight wizard. And if V can change species, that means Roy is likely a Mul, which is admittedly even more fitting.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Personally, I'm particularly interested to see how/if any of the villains appear in DS-world.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2012-01-29 at 11:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Personally, I'm particularly interested to see how/if any of the villains appear in DS-world.
    Well, Xykon would be working towards immortality by means of defiling magic and attempting to become a dragon, so he'd have to be a Sorcerer-King. But RC's entire race is extinct, so your guess is likely better than mine. MitD of course, presents little difficulty.

The B-Villains would need to switch out Thog, probably to a half-giant, but otherwise they are fine.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-01-29 at 11:15 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Firbolg in the Playground

smile Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Heads up, Ookoodook had linked to the Kickstarter on their front page.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    Huh. 45 minutes after I change my pledge, and no one has grabbed the now-available $57 signed NCftPB.

I wonder how long that will last.
    Somebody did pick it up, but a few times in the past 12 hours I have seen the total drop. Overall the numbers are still rising but it's slowing down. I hope we don't have to worry too much about people lowering their pledges.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Weird that DS got abandoned in 3.5. Was there a port to 3.0, at least? Or did the whole setting got thrown under a bus for 10 years?
    All of the old TSR settings were abandoned by WotC after they bought it (other than Forgotten Realms which was screwed up in other ways). The reason was very simple. Money. TSR went out of business because it created so many settings that did not have buyer support. So while some high number of DMs might buy Monster Manual 34, only Planescape invested DMs would by Planescape Monsters 34. So by having a bunch of settings, TSR was fracturing its own consumers. Putting out 20 small print run books in a year is nowhere near as good as putting out 5 big print run books in a year monetarily.
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 2012-01-30 at 02:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CloakedDancer View Post
    Somebody did pick it up, but a few times in the past 12 hours I have seen the total drop. Overall the numbers are still rising but it's slowing down. I hope we don't have to worry too much about people lowering their pledges.
    Really? I haven't seen any totals drop yet. Then again, I haven't refreshed exery second or anything...
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    All of the old TSR settings were abandoned by WotC after they bought it (other than Forgotten Realms which was screwed up in other ways).
    It took them a while to do that, then--they bought TSR in 1997, and only with the release of 3rd edition in 2000 did most of the ancillary settings get dropped. Besides, TSR over-extended themselves in plenty of ways other than having too many settings in D&D--their attempt to out-Magic Magic the Gathering with Dragon Dice, for example, which failed utterly.

As for this drive slowing down, that was always going to happen at some point...but we have more than 20 days left, so even if money only comes in at a quarter of the rate it's been doing up until now for those remaining 20 days, that's still more than $100k added to the total!
    Last edited by factotum; 2012-01-30 at 02:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

What's interesting to me is that the drive did better today than I was expecting it to. In fact, by some measurements it did better today than yesterday. Yes, the "overnight" period was down, as I thought it would. Though even there it beat my eyeball estimate (I was expecting no more than $400 an hour and it averaged $436 between Midnight PST and 10am PST).

Here's some sample data from today and yesterday:

Saturday - (10am PST - Midnight PST)
    $7,449 (114 new backers)

Sunday - (10am PST - Midnight PST)
    $7,665 (141 new backers)

No new pledge points to spurn interest in that time. Yes, there was the Dark Sun news, which might have helped. But still.

Today, the drive earned $4179 between midnight and 10am. It will be interesting to see how much lower it is than that tomorrow, if it is at all. How well the drive does overnight and early in the morning, Western Hemisphere time, might just decide whether or not the $255K threshold is met on late Monday night or early Tuesday.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think an update post by Rich on the front page will give us a new surge. People who read the original and weren't interested enough to look at the kickstarter (or looked only once) don't know the additional books that have been added, or the mystery prizes, or the additional goodies.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Quote Originally Posted by inky13112 View Post
    Originally coupons were going to be in the rewards but kickstarter won't allow that, iirc
    Thinking about it, a voucher scheme can be done without Kickstarter being directly involved. I have various thoughts on this in relation to if and when the drive stories are eventually anthologised but don't want to say more because of the forum rules on not discussing how Rich runs his business.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ettin in the Playground

Just so you guys don't go nuts on wacky theories, "Book 5" is absolutely, positively, in no way shape or form going to be included in this Kickstarter drive.
    Oh please, when have we ever gone nuts on wacky theories on these boards?

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, but a Thri-Kreen can so easily be stated to be the opposite of androgynous: Rich could declare the entire race to be hermaphrodite. Which it is absolutely perfect for DS!V: we not only know for sure what hirs sex is, it is both.

And I can see DS!V being a psionic, now that someone has suggested it, rather than a straight wizard. And if V can change species, that means Roy is likely a Mul, which is admittedly even more fitting.

Grey Wolf
    Bah, the next thing you'll suggest is that Elan should be an Elan.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Oh please, when have we ever gone nuts on wacky theories on these boards?
    I know, right? He must be talking about a different forum.

So, only about $11k to go...as was discussed before, we seem to be reaching a plateau. It's likely that the 4,000+ backers represent the forumites (mostly). What other groups can we spread the word to?
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

My observation today is that the money is increasing at approximately $500 an hour, so $12,000 a day. If this continues we will hit the Don't Split the Party pledge line at approximately 1pm GMT (8am EST) on Tuesday.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Really? I haven't seen any totals drop yet. Then again, I haven't refreshed exery second or anything...
    I haven't been refreshing every second myself. I hit refresh after probably about 15 minutes or so and the total dropped $40. It was just kind of odd to see after how much it had been going up regularly beforehand.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Just a question... I see several pledge levels that I was interested in but due to being slow to the party missed out. Is there a reason that certain levels are capped and could some of these levels potentially be reopened at a later date?

PS I understand that some of the higher pledge levels represent a significant amount of time for Rich to undertake and also there is a non-cash premium that is added to something being of limited time/duration but since it's a vehicle for raising capital I was just wondering what the reason could be for capping the less time intensive levels (unless it is a supply/demand deal where only X of a certain item are available any longer).

thanks!

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Exactly this: all limited rewards were limited either because of a limited number of items (at least at the time the reward was opened) or because there is a significant amount of time the Giant has to invest in the reward. As far as i know it's not possible to reopen a limited reward, but there should be a possibility to make a second reward similar to the first.

As for the "multiple rewards for one level" - i have seen some projects here where there are two or more different rewards for the same pledge level.

27. - Top - End - #1047

DrowGirl

Mainly, it varies. Some are limited because he doesn't have the time and resources to offer it more (such as the autographed things or extra stories), some are because it's an item that's not being produced any more and only a limited quantity are available. Is there a certain one you're looking at?

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, at least one of them is limited because of an error when posting the reward.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bubba0077 View Post
    I think an update post by Rich on the front page will give us a new surge. People who read the original and weren't interested enough to look at the kickstarter (or looked only once) don't know the additional books that have been added, or the mystery prizes, or the additional goodies.
    I'm quoting this in case Rich didn't see it the first time. This is probably a very good idea. And the link should point to the UPDATES page, not the home page.

Unrelated...
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It took them a while to do that, then--they bought TSR in 1997, and only with the release of 3rd edition in 2000 did most of the ancillary settings get dropped.
    WotC did not make any 2e material for the various settings unless the product was in production at the time of the sale. There were warehouses full of existing product to maintain sales for years to come, at the rate they were selling. 1998 and 1999 saw a lot "Return to the ..." adventures released.
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 2012-01-30 at 12:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Got a question that might have been answered, but I haven't noticed while watching this thread. If it's not necessary, I'd rather not ask Rich as I'm sure he's already got plenty of questions per day with over 4100 donors now.

Can we add an additional book to any level of pledge? I see that adding NCftPB can be added to some pledge levels for an additional $30. But I hadn't seen it clarified if we could do that at any level, or just the ones that specify it.

Also, I saw a link to the KS campaign on the boardgamegeek forums this weekend. A couple of people replied they were glad to see it linked, as they hadn't heard about it. If you're active on any other comic/gaming forums that aren't talking about this, probably worth dropping a link in there.