New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Sythesist(Summoner) Optimization[PF]

Here's how this works.

You take a Sythesist, and apply one of the Dread Wight or Wight templates. Because you're granted natural attacks by you eidlon suit, you can use them to bestow negative levels(Look under Energy Drain). From this point, you can either go one of two routes:

1. The classic Pounce mode, which is normally used for the Summoner. With a full attack, you're talking three negative levels/round at CR 2(Summoner 1/W 1).

or

2. The AoO buid, which uses your Eidlon's Dexterity for Combat Reflexes combined with the reach ability to threaten foes with negative levels if they try to get anywhere near you.

General Benefits of the Build in general: You know the problem with having CR instead of HD? Not enough HP. Well, the Eidlon gives you enough temporary hp to make up for you only having one HD, and the rules for negative levels say you gain 5 temp hp for every negative level you bestow. In theory, you could just carry around some weak animals and drain them for the temp hp at all times, but you'll likely never need that much temp hp. Other benefits include the Natural Armor stacking, and the synergy of both using your Charisma score. Both templates also increase your Charisma by 4, meaning you can make up for being one spell level behind via the bonus spells.

Thoughts? Any way we can make this even better?
    Last edited by Madara; 2012-10-27 at 10:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Sythesist(Summoner) Optimization[PF]

for the AoO guy i'd reccomend the evolutions, Reach: tentacles, Grab tentacles, constrict and of course lots and lots and lots of tentacles. Then Find yourself some Oriental schoolgirls and watch books be thrown at you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Do tentacles have any actual bonus over the other natural attacks? Because Reach can even be combined with Bite.
    Last edited by Madara; 2012-10-27 at 05:59 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malroth View Post
    lots and lots and lots of tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Do tentacles have any actual bonus over the other natural attacks?
    The advantage of Tentacles is that they are by FAR the cheapest way to get Natural Attacks. It costs 1 Evo for 1 Tentacle. The next cheapest attack(s) are 2 Evo for 1 attack.

The PROBLEM is that you still have the Eidolon's Natural Attack cap to worry about, so "loading up on Tentacles" isn't much of an option.
    I find Tentacles more useful for when you aren't at your Attack-Cap, but still have an Evo or two left over.
    The Rake attack is about the only way to "cheat" the limit, it gives 2 situational-attacks, but only counts as 1 for the Attack-Cap.

Also, the Reach evolution only applies on a per-attack basis, not on a per-attack-type basis.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2012-10-27 at 07:07 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    The advantage of Tentacles is that they are by FAR the cheapest way to get Natural Attacks. It costs 1 Evo for 1 Tentacle. The next cheapest attack(s) are 2 Evo for 1 attack.

The PROBLEM is that you still have the Eidolon's Natural Attack cap to worry about, so "loading up on Tentacles" isn't much of an option.
    I find Tentacles more useful for when you aren't at your Attack-Cap, but still have an Evo or two left over.
    The Rake attack is about the only way to "cheat" the limit, it gives 2 situational-attacks, but only counts as 1 for the Attack-Cap.

Also, the Reach evolution only applies on a per-attack basis, not on a per-attack-type basis.
    Interesting. I'm not worried about the Attack cap, because 3 negative levels/ turn isn't bad. So at first level you just spend all three points on tentacles? If you have more points, I'd likely boost a stat, or boost the Natural Armor. Too bad about reach, that seems to make it more difficult.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Interesting. I'm not worried about the Attack cap, because 3 negative levels/ turn isn't bad. So at first level you just spend all three points on tentacles? If you have more points, I'd likely boost a stat, or boost the Natural Armor. Too bad about reach, that seems to make it more difficult.
    First level Attack limit is 3, so depending on your base form you can only add 1 or 2 attacks.
    Still, Quad with Reach (Bite) (1), Tentacle (2) isn't too shabby for level 1.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    First level Attack limit is 3, so depending on your base form you can only add 1 or 2 attacks.
    Still, Quad with Reach (Bite) (1), Tentacle (2) isn't too shabby for level 1.
    Considering if all three hit, you deal 3 negative levels. So you one-hit mooks. Also, let's say you're fighting a boss with a CR for your whole party. That's 2x4= CR8 right? So they likely have about 8 HD(That doesn't sound right...)

Still, that means that it takes you three turns alone to down him, or you could do one turn(Go first) with your party. A boss with -3 to ability checks, attack rolls, combat maneuver/defense checks, saving throws, and skill checks is pretty debuffed. Plus their hp is down by 5 extra for each negative level. So 2d4+1d6+15= average 21 damage per round, without strength bonus. Besides, you get a slam attack by being a wright.

For each negative level a creature has, it takes a cumulative –1 penalty on all ability checks, attack rolls, combat maneuver checks, Combat Maneuver Defense, saving throws, and skill checks. In addition, the creature reduces its current and total hit points by 5 for each negative level it possesses.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Boss battles are usually highest level +2 or 3
    so for 4 lv 2's a boss battle is a CR 4 or 5 usually