New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You mean the ones who grew up under the regime? Yes, that's the whole point.
    Well if a shift of power is done to favour people who weren't from the place where it happens then it's not a revolution, it's an invasion. I really have no idea what you're trying to say here.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I saw it on Saturday and thought the film worked better than the book. I was probably biased towards liking Jennifer Lawrence from being so impressed with her in Winter's Bone.

Anybody else here seen that movie? If not, go watch it now.

All numbers are grammatically correct

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    ...I have no idea what this analogy is supposed to mean.
    I suppose it's something along the lines of "The pre-teen camp where theres bad romance and jazz while the other is a "mature"(?) choice. Anyway, it does not fit too well (I mean, replace Hellsing with Buffy and I am all ears, but comparing Twilight with Helsing is like comparing rotten, crappy fruit with a blood-soaked piece of epic).

First and formost, the books are hardly "bad". Average, yes, but bad? Nope. Also, mearly stating the idea that a series is not as good as another because it just so happens to be rather popular with teens is not a accurate way of putting things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    I red the book. didnt see the movie. im going to wait untill it will be broadcasted on the HD movies channel on TV.

Can you tell me what story changes were there so i wont kill somone while watching it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Madge Undersee is cut out. Katniss finds the pin at the market and gives it to Prim who gives it back to Katniss. Makes for a more personal touch.

Cinna is downplayed.

The prep team are not named although they can be seen.

The term "Avox" is not used and Lavina is cut, although if you look closely, you see her in the background and early in the film cutting out tounges is mentioned.

Foxface is only called Foxface once, which is jarring.

Katniss's interview with Ceaser is slightly different (with a fake flame dress).

There are numerous scenes of the Hunger Games controllers in their control room. Also scenes with Seneca Crane and President Snow talking about eliminating Katniss.

No internal monologue from Katniss at all to avoid similarity with twilight so all emotions play a bigger role.

Tracker Jackers and the re-activated Mines are explained via Flickerman and Temple Smith commentating.

After Rue dies you see District 11 rioting.

The Mutts look different and they don't look like the fallen tributes.

Thresh is killed by the Mutts, not by Cato.

The ending does not make it clear whether Katniss and Peeta stay together or not.

Minor changes, probably more I've not noticed.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    The age restriction in theaters is 11 years old (both in the US as in Sweden, I believe). This means that a HUGE number of 11 year olds will see this. And subsequently will get these books by buy / lend / get for Christmas .

Edit: As I said, the highest maturity non XXX rated limit we have in Sweden is 15, so things like the Human Centipede and Saw 92 (or whatever they are up to now) all are available for 15 year olds. That is okay by me.
    Hunger Games in the US is PG-13. Heck, even Common Sense Media, a slightly alarmist organization, thinks its okay for kids 13 and up. That's a lot closer to the age that you think is okay to watch Saw and the Human Centipede. Does that mean its marketed towards 13 in the US and 11 in Sweden? Seriously?

There's a difference between availability/fanbase and marketing, as any brony could tell you.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post
    Well if a shift of power is done to favour people who weren't from the place where it happens then it's not a revolution, it's an invasion. I really have no idea what you're trying to say here.
    What are you talking about? If you grow up under a regime, then you are obviously from that area. Hence, revolution.

RE: Katniss - I'm glad they scrapped the internal monologue, and not just to avoid Katniss Swan syndrome. You got a lot more out of her acting that way, like when she was stalking that deer in the beginning - you could see everything she was doing and more importantly know why without her having to say a word. I thought it was a really good example of "show don't tell."

When she volunteered and everyone was trying to reassure her with "You know how to hunt!" I really believed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. plot diffrences are minor.
    now, can you tell me how the charecters look like in the movie?
    Despite everything, its still me.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Ah. plot diffrences are minor.
    now, can you tell me how the charecters look like in the movie?
    Just google image their names, they're pretty uncommon

Or you can check the TVTropes Character Sheet if you don't mind accidental spoilers.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What are you talking about? If you grow up under a regime, then you are obviously from that area. Hence, revolution.

RE: Katniss - I'm glad they scrapped the internal monologue, and not just to avoid Katniss Swan syndrome. You got a lot more out of her acting that way, like when she was stalking that deer in the beginning - you could see everything she was doing and more importantly know why without her having to say a word. I thought it was a really good example of "show don't tell."

When she volunteered and everyone was trying to reassure her with "You know how to hunt!" I really believed it.

I always seem to find in films, especially recently, that the best performances and character stuff is not spelled out by dialogue or monologue. It is in the acting when there is no sound at all, or merely music. This was the case here without doubt.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Admittedly a lot of the aspects I consider deconstruction come in the later novels, and also in reaction to the other series I've read by her. (which was also intended for young adults.)

I'm curious though, what themes would you consider it to hold then?
    The big ones were oppressive governments and big brother. Like I said, the thing that distinguishes the bad guys from the good guys is whether they play along with the Capital's games. The games themselves exist to demonstrate the power of the Capital. And because to this, the idea of resisting the oppression and keeping some measure of individuality is also important, even if it's only a small thing. We see it in Peeta's attitude about the games and wanting to die on his terms, in Cinna sneaking the Mockingjay pin to Katniss (I am remembering that right, aren't I?), and of course, in the way the games ended.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

The pin was snuck in in the film, not in the book. In the book tributes were allowed a token, though there was some small discussion if the needle on the pin could be used as a weapon.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know how I got that mixed up.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    The big ones were oppressive governments and big brother. Like I said, the thing that distinguishes the bad guys from the good guys is whether they play along with the Capital's games. The games themselves exist to demonstrate the power of the Capital. And because to this, the idea of resisting the oppression and keeping some measure of individuality is also important, even if it's only a small thing.
    Not to slide into IRL politics, but... This reminds me of a lot of political pundits in the big country across the pond.

I wonder if that is deliberate on the writer's part.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it wasn't all that violent in shown violence, though there was much implied violence and off camera violence, the most disturbing in my opinion was the wasps. A bit of weirdness was our heroines hallucination, quoting word for word something Caesar said, but which she would have had, I assume, no way of knowing or hearing herself. She could have gotten it from a past game, but it seems odd that the wording would be so similar.
    Still, the fact it wasn't as disturbing as I thought it would be, children killing each other, disturbs me somewhat.
    Casting mostly adults as teenagers helped with that I guess.
    I think I liked Caesar Flickerman best. Yes, he is a slimy bastard, but he is such a glittery slimy bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

So just got around to reading the book. For those who've done that and seen the film, do you think the film or the book was better?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm kind of ambivalent about the book - read all the way to the end but felt a bit unsatisfied having done it - and now I'm 50/50 on seeing the film.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    In theory, yes. In practicality? Not so much. It doesn't really matter what the original intent of the writer was ("Young Adult", which I always have found a very weird definition anyway; to me a young adult is 18+; a 16 year old is a teenager.). The target audience for the movie studio is 11+. It's as simple as that. And as I said, that means tons of 11 and 12 year olds will not only see the movie, but they'll be buying the books afterwards as well.
    This is frankly because Sweden's movie ranking system is absurd (assuming wikipedia is correct of course). There's the "everyone can see rating" then its brackets at 7, 11 and 15. Who came up with those numbers? The 11 cutoff seems pretty arbitrary since there's a fairly significant difference I'd say between 11, 12 and 13 year olds. Yet I can see hardly any difference between say a 6 year old and a 7 year old. I suppose it can be based on the earliest time puberty tends to hit (which I think is around 11) though for a general thing like movies I'd have to assume 11 and 13 is a pretty big difference in maturity.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    The big ones were oppressive governments and big brother. Like I said, the thing that distinguishes the bad guys from the good guys is whether they play along with the Capital's games. The games themselves exist to demonstrate the power of the Capital.
    I'll add the themes of sacrifice/martyrdom (Katniss does this to protect her sister, and again in the end to attempt to deny the games their victor), and friendship/teamwork (the perpetual and capable loner Katniss only succeeds in the games due to help, both during the event and before it even starts.)

Key takeaways from the movie:

"Freedom is worth fighting for"
    "No man (or woman) is an island"
    "Self-sacrifice is an admirable quality worthy of emulation"
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-03-29 at 09:25 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Well, it wasn't all that violent in shown violence, though there was much implied violence and off camera violence, the most disturbing in my opinion was the wasps.
    I've got to agree. The quick cuts and lack of gore really nerfed much of the violence, but that death scene was suitably slow and agonizing.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

It was good.
    I thought that the government cheated though.
    I mean,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creating Virtual dogs and casting fireballs at her
    seemed unfair.
    I liked the Wasp idea. I felt sorry for the youngest member, Ruth? I mean, the rest are at least a teen and she was a little girl.

I didn't understand the hand symbols though. What did it mean?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

I had a bit of a fridge logic moment on the reasoning behind the Hunger Games.
    I have not read the books, but from what I understand, going to the Guv'ment for aid in any fashion, food, supplies, likely even medical care, is done on a system where you get another ballot in the box.
    But wouldn't that engender a distrust and a desire for independence from the government as much as possible?
    In fact, we see just that with Katniss and her hunting.
    It just strikes me as a little Stupid Evil way to run a system, even for a culture that normally sends 23 kids to die every year.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I have not read the books, but from what I understand, going to the Guv'ment for aid in any fashion, food, supplies, likely even medical care, is done on a system where you get another ballot in the box.
    But wouldn't that engender a distrust and a desire for independence from the government as much as possible?
    It just strikes me as a little Stupid Evil way to run a system, even for a culture that normally sends 23 kids to die every year.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    It was good.
    I thought that the government cheated though.
    I mean,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creating Virtual dogs and casting fireballs at her
    seemed unfair.
    I liked the Wasp idea. I felt sorry for the youngest member, Ruth? I mean, the rest are at least a teen and she was a little girl.

I didn't understand the hand symbols though. What did it mean?
    That's kind of the point of the Games. Its really just a display to remind the Districts that the Capital has all the power, and it could play as unfair as it wants. The Hunger Games are essentially a show of power. The 'virtual' dogs are not exactly dogs, but they are very real and very dangerous.

Thats exactly what it means. For instance, Gale has put his name in multiple times to 'purchase' extra supplies. The point is that the Capital can help out the Districts, but chooses not to. See the above response. Another big thing is the concept of manipulation of hope. President Snow illustrates this. The system gives the Districts little hopes, like "I got extra food for my family, and chances are I won't be picked" and "Our sister was chosen, but she might survive and improve life for all of us." This is enough to keep the Districts operating without giving them big hopes like "We could rebel and beat the Capital".

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but those who need a lot of extra supplies,. the hard scrabbling poor, are also the most likely to rebel and are the most numerous.
    Really playing with fire there in my opinion.
    As we saw, it doesn't take much to set them off.
    And if the raw material production Districts, like 11 and 12, did rebel, what do you do?
    You destroy them like you did 13 and you slit your own throat, a pyrrhic victory at best.
    But don't destroy them and you show that rebellion is possible, which is incredibly dangerous for an oppressive regime.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-03-29 at 04:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Well clearly resentment has been building for a very long time. Initial fear after the capital crushed the districts is beginning to run thinner and thinner despite the horrific reminder of the games. That is why Snow is so set on crushing that hope into the ground in the hopes that this can maintain the peace the capital has enjoyed.

It just goes to show that in order to make people complacent about the horrible things in the world, you either need to make them comfortable with it (capital) or too hungry to do anything about it (district twelve.) It's districts like eleven that have better food supplies but equal discontent that become the problem.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, "Kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down"
    Of course, I doubt Snow cared much whether the structure would survive long after his death. Like Tarquin, he fundamentally only seems to care about his personal place in things, keeping things stable long enough for him to pass on.
    It is a fundamentally flawed system for long term stability.

26. - Top - End - #86

Yeah, MovieBob hangs a rather large lampshade on this very point. Not only are they encouraging all their disenfranchised young people to hate the government, they're also actively encouraging them to get combat training - particularly from the ones that survive the horror and go home to their respective districts.

So yeah, it's not the most brilliant writing around but it gets the job done (entertainment.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Nice to know someone else noticed it as well, that's always comforting.
    Only one (usually) each year survives, but that still doesn't mean those who weren't selected won't be next year, and fact 24 will be, and so it would be indeed best to get in as much combat and survival skills as possible, skills equally useful in a guerilla war against technologically superior foe, like our friends in the white suits and (anti-gravity?) hovercraft.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Nice to know someone else noticed it as well, that's always comforting.
    Only one (usually) each year survives, but that still doesn't mean those who weren't selected won't be next year, and fact 24 will be, and so it would be indeed best to get in as much combat and survival skills as possible, skills equally useful in a guerilla war against technologically superior foe, like our friends in the white suits and (anti-gravity?) hovercraft.
    If I recall correctly they weren't allowed to. Training was in fact strictly prohibited (you know, unless it was a favored district that just happened to have academies where most of the tributes come from. That would be inconclusive.)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Just saw the movie, it was well done. I especially like how they handled the switch from first-person novel to movie, by showing us more of what went behind the scenes as Katniss is doing her thing. Good casting choices overall too. They did like the shaky-cam a bit much though.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    If I recall correctly they weren't allowed to. Training was in fact strictly prohibited (you know, unless it was a favored district that just happened to have academies where most of the tributes come from. That would be inconclusive.)
    Sorry, I only have the movie to go by.
    Also, forbidden and not done are two completely different things, just ask any teenager.
    The heroine was able to get enough hunting practise to pick off squirrels on a regular enough basis to be well known in a rather formal looking 'black market' with a home made bow. My point is the system encourages this form of rebellion implicitly while trying to avoid the repercussions explicitly.
    And, as a I said, what do they do if they do rebel? You can't keep destroying Sectors without bringing the entire means of production, and hence your civilisation, to a screeching halt.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-03-29 at 10:52 PM.