New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #805 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    A character is not "dead" while a statue, merely alterered. Classically, they are still aware of what goes on around them and can still see and hear, but cannot move their eyes or, obviously, speak.

When Haley is Stone to Fleshed, she will retain all memories of her time in the stone.

((This causes a fairly frenquent "timetravel" issue in D&D games where people get petrified and released years / centuries later, they haven't aged but have likely been trapped in a cave for just about ever))
    Wow...that's actually extremely horrifying. I imagine someone who gets stuck for centuries as a statue must be insane long before they're released...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post
    lol awesome bit with the lawyers :D And suddenly Durkon and Haley are back in the story. yay!

I sense a sneak attack BITCH! coming soon.
    Followed by "and I STILL don't know which arrow hurt her!"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    A character is not "dead" while a statue, merely alterered. Classically, they are still aware of what goes on around them and can still see and hear, but cannot move their eyes or, obviously, speak.

When Haley is Stone to Fleshed, she will retain all memories of her time in the stone.

((This causes a fairly frenquent "timetravel" issue in D&D games where people get petrified and released years / centuries later, they haven't aged but have likely been trapped in a cave for just about ever))
    "Classically" maybe- but not true in 3rd ed. The character is considered unconscious.

Petrified
    A petrified character has been turned to stone and is considered unconscious. If a petrified character cracks or breaks, but the broken pieces are joined with the body as he returns to flesh, he is unharmed. If the character’s petrified body is incomplete when it returns to flesh, the body is likewise incomplete and there is some amount of permanent hit point loss and/or debilitation.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another question: can Durkon remove the "Energy Drains" effects on Elan ( so he can still maintain his level)?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Another question: can Durkon remove the "Energy Drains" effects on Elan ( so he can still maintain his level)?
    Of course he can, casting restoration 2-3 times should do it and then he could cast deathward on him for protection.
    Last edited by kojar; 2011-09-16 at 04:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Perhaps the flumps (or their equivalents..) are the DMs way to balance out non-flying characters ? xD

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Finally.

The team really needs a Durkon signal.
    I just had a mental image of huge light shining on a cloud with a silhuoette of a tankard on it, Batman style.

8. - Top - End - #158

Lightbulb Re: OOTS #805 - The Discussion Thread

So does this count as fanservice? Cause I think the Giant just made lawyers into fanservice.
    Baby B-day Turtle Avatar by Savannah
    fnord
    Ex-Keeper of The Birthdays (The Birthday Thread)

Official president of the Teevo must die fanclub

9. - Top - End - #159

I just had a mental image of huge light shining on a cloud with a silhuoette of a tankard on it, Batman style.
    And a Steampunk Durkonmobile?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    PRATCHETT QUOTE!!!!! (note, five exclamation points)
    A Sure sign someone's not mentally Stable.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

11. - Top - End - #161

BardGuy

Some running gags run until they are at more of a limp, but I have to say that I like those tentacled pillows more and more every time I see them. :)

12. - Top - End - #162

I really like how adding just one tiny additional line near Sabine's eye manages to successfully transform the typical stick-figure expression of alarm into a full-fledged freak-out at having a creepy sloth hanging on you.

I think sloths are pretty neat, but clearly Sabine finds sloths (particularly celestial ones) to be absolutely horrifying.
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    I think sloths are pretty neat, but clearly Sabine finds sloths (particularly celestial ones) to be absolutely horrifying.
    Well she said it was HANGING on her.

If I remember my Sloth nature documentaries right (and I may not be) they like to hang on to thick tree branches by sticking their claws in them. And if she has DR/Good she may think a Celestial Sloth trying to stick it's claws in whatever part of her it can grab won't be blocked by her DR.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

14. - Top - End - #164

HalflingPirate

Durkon! Yes!

Lawyers! I knew there was going to be problem with Durkons' duration of stay.

"So, you have no legal troubles of any kind?"
    "No"

...um... I guess that's the Giants way of telling me to shut up. ;)

15. - Top - End - #165

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fibonnaciseries View Post
    I agree; after all, he was just on the brink of finishing it. It's really annoying to have it left as a cliffhanger.
    Don't you mean ledgehanger? He's on a ledge, not a cliff

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well she said it was HANGING on her.

If I remember my Sloth nature documentaries right (and I may not be) they like to hang on to thick tree branches by sticking their claws in them. And if she has DR/Good she may think a Celestial Sloth trying to stick it's claws in whatever part of her it can grab won't be blocked by her DR.
    Hehehehe Tree Branches not on a tree tend to be called 'Sticks', and since everyone is a stick figure, Sabine is justified in thinking the Celestial Tree Sloth is going to get clawy and clingy... neither of which she wants.

BTW, for those who were commenting on length of absences, I believe Blackwing holds the record, but then I can understand how you guys can overlook him, everyone else seems to.

My guess is the potion is a potion of insight. Haley meant to drink it so she'd finally know what to shoot Sabine with... either that or it will be a potion of greater flight and she's going to be chasing Sabine around with a speed, maneuverability, and action bonus for once instead of the usual slower grounded disadvantage status she usually has against Sabine.

----------------------------------

Now... since it was requested, and I'm bored, presenting... the stats for the Celestial Tree Sloth

Hit Dice: 5d8+6 (29 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 10 ft., climb 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 12 (+2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+6
    Attacks: Claw +6 melee (1d4+4)
    Full Attacks: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+4), bite +1 melee (1d6+2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft. /5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rend 1d4+6 ; Smite Evil Bite 1d6+7
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Darkvision 60ft, scent, Single Action Only; Resistance to acid, cold, and electricity 5 ; DR 5/magic ; SR 10
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Climb +12, Hide +7*, Swim +11
    Feats: Great Fortitude, Power Attack
    Environment: Warm forest
    Organization: Solitary or pair

Combat
    A celestial tree sloth attacks by biting and rending its
    opponent with its claws.

Rend (Ex): A celestial tree sloth that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This automatically deals an additional 1d4+6 points of damage.

Single Action Only (Ex): A celestial tree sloth has poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A celestial tree sloth can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial tree sloth can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD against an evil foe.

Skills: celestial tree sloths receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Swim checks. *In areas of dense undergrowth, the celestial tree sloth receives a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks. A celestial tree sloth has a +8 racial bonus on Climb and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2011-09-16 at 02:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground

So the flumphs and lawyers come back in the same comic? Perfect.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kolero View Post
    Excellent comic, I particularly enjoyed Elan's celestial tree sloth attack. Sometimes I forget he has spells.
    That's all right... so does he.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    Now... since it was requested, and I'm bored, presenting... the stats for the Celestial Tree Sloth.
    Thanks!

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

sloths. Yes.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

bravo giant, it always amazes me how effectively you can portray facial expressions using stick figures

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

I love the way the Celestial Tree Sloth looks as it's leaping into battle. One of the cutest things I've ever seen in this comic. Otherwise this comic is kinda meh IMO, but hopefully sets up some future epicness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Anti-durkon where are you?
    At this point I'm not at all sure there is an anti-Durkon. Nale wasn't expecting to encounter the OOTS, so he may just not have managed to recruit a divine spellcaster yet.

22. - Top - End - #172

HalflingPirate

Nale: "Oh. This is just great. Now the dwarf's in the fight. Excuse me, sir? Yes you. Are you a religious person? What? You're an atheist? Well, that's sort of an opposite. Check this out, that Dwarf down there, he worships Thor, in a land that Thor isn't allowed to intervene in. And he called your momma a Lizard. Off you go.

Wait.

Can somebody explain how I found an atheist in a world where Gods intervene on a daily basis?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

I want a Celestial tree sloth familiar.

24. - Top - End - #174

Flumph

Don't you mean ledgehanger? He's on a ledge, not a cliff
    Actually, he's not on that anymore.

Now... since it was requested, and I'm bored, presenting... the stats for the Celestial Tree Sloth

Hit Dice: 5d8+6 (29 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 10 ft., climb 40 ft.
    That's one ultrafast sloth.

per Wikipedia

On the ground the maximum speed of the three-toed sloth is 2 m or 6.5 feet per minute
    It doesn't give their climbing speed, but it isn't a whole lot faster. And yes, that's a two-toed sloth in the comic, but they don't move any faster than the three-toed variety.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

25. - Top - End - #175
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    It doesn't give their climbing speed, but it isn't a whole lot faster. And yes, that's a two-toed sloth in the comic, but they don't move any faster than the three-toed variety.
    But it's a *Celestial* sloth and therefore doesn't need to follow the rules of its earthbound cousins! (Not to mention the fact that it's an ILLUSION anyway).

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    But it's a *Celestial* sloth and therefore doesn't need to follow the rules of its earthbound cousins! (Not to mention the fact that it's an ILLUSION anyway).
    He was referring to the guy who made up stats for this proposed species, not the illusion in comic. People did ask for some stats from people earlier for a <real> Celestial tree sloth.
    He felt the movement speed was to high. But as long as it is slower than anything else on the field I think that would be good enough (please note, I have no knowledge of the D&D universe, I don't know if the 10ft per turn is fast or slow in comparison to all other classes/races).

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by J's View Post
    He was referring to the guy who made up stats for this proposed species, not the illusion in comic. People did ask for some stats from people earlier for a <real> Celestial tree sloth.
    He felt the movement speed was to high. But as long as it is slower than anything else on the field I think that would be good enough (please note, I have no knowledge of the D&D universe, I don't know if the 10ft per turn is fast or slow in comparison to all other classes/races).
    Humans and most other medium-sized beings move at 30ft per turn. Most small beings move at 20ft per turn.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgophlats View Post
    <snip>

Can somebody explain how I found an atheist in a world where Gods intervene on a daily basis?"
    Gods like to see an atheist around.
    Gives them something to aim at.
    incredibly awesome avatar by Zolkabro

I Am A:

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 8
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 11

29. - Top - End - #179

... the stats for the Celestial Tree Sloth...
    Well Done!

However, shouldn't the Special Attack have something more slothful? e.g. instead of rending, simply have the sloth cling to the target. Clinging prevents any use of the limb clung to - thus spellcasters cannot employ a gesture using that hand and two-handed weapons cannot be used. The victim may attempt to shake the sloth off, but any attack on the sloth has a 50% of hitting the victim instead. The sloth still gets a normal attack and so may eventually wear down the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    ...yes, that's a two-toed sloth in the comic, but they don't move any faster than the three-toed variety.
    Perhaps in OOTSverse, the varieties are the 1-toed sloth and the 2-toed sloth. In a world where humanoids have 3 digits, a 3-toed sloth would appear to be a polydactyl.

30. - Top - End - #180

Gods like to see an atheist around.
    Gives them something to aim at.

Terry Pratchett is actually an atheist. But even the Gods like him... most of the time