New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lightbulb D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

I write to express my support for the thriving 3.5 community via the recently released Monster Advancer (http://www.monsteradvancer.com).

This free compact suite of online applications allows for swift monster & npc generation, advancement and customization, all within the context of 3rd edition(3.5). What once took up to an hour of dungeon masters' time, now takes seconds. Large Fiendish, Half-Dragon Dire Wolves with 18 hit dice can now take their place of honor amongst the kraken and the hydra.

There are currently three applications worthy of note: There is a version made for massive customization (allowing templates, magical items and equipment, stat adjustments and feat selection), a version made for speed and simplicity, and another which can generate multiple creatures randomly based on the challenge rating or encounter level desired.

The entire project is completely free and available now. It is continuing to be enhanced frequently but is fully functional now. All OGL creatures will be entered eventually as I am furiously entering more and more. (If there are creatures you really want right now just let me know and I will move them up the list.)

My goal is to help foster and reinvigorate the 3.5 community by contributing to the tools that enhance the game by allowing time for creativity rather than crunching numbers.

I would love to hear what people think and what you want to make your game planning sessions easier.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

Well, I'll have to try it out before I give it my full endorsement, but you've already got an A for effort in my book.

3. - Top - End - #3

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

I appreciate your initial support. I hope you enjoy it once you dig in. The Overlord's furnaces are fueled by the blood of...I mean, community support of course!

Once you have played please let me know what you love, what you think needs improvement or what might be lacking enough to cause people to turn away. I am spending enough time on data entry and feature edition now that I would love to know I am focusing on the right things at this point.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

Haven't had time to test it out like I would have liked to, but one thing I noticed is when you generate a random encounter, it really gives pretty much anything. I had a Centaur team up with 2 Ghast...

The monster advancement is awesome though! Only one little detail: When you give the monster spellcaster levels, you should ask up to select it's spells and such.

Overall, it's awesome keep working on it

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Random Encounter Generator is indeed truly random right now. I will definitely be spicing that up soon to allow more customization of creature types or groups and a more logical grouping...for now it revels in its total randomness. It is the only generator around that wiil give you back a half-dragon fiendish centaur at all.

As for the class level additions....they are indeed still in their infancy. I don't want people to be turned off but what it can't quite do yet as I only released it now because I thought it had immediate value to the community but in a short time I aim for it to be amazing. I will make sure that spell-casting has the ability to customize what spells and such...most likely you will see this on the main application.

Keep advancing 'em.

6. - Top - End - #6

OrcBarbarianGuy

There will be another update with more creatures this weekend so if you have requests post 'em.

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

Someone has recently been talking to me about what they would like the random encounter generator to do. Just so people are aware the random generator has been getting a lot of use so I am moving that up the design block for more functionality. Such as slightly more tailored encounters by creature type, environment and "themes." Just another heads up of things coming fairly soon.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

wink Re: D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

hay I love your monster generator, it lets me build my undead minions just the way I like them as I acquire them. the ability to add all the versatile templates is my favorite feature. keep up the good work.

9. - Top - End - #9

OrcBarbarianGuy

I am glad you are enjoying it. It has been a while since I got any changes actually put out for public consumption but fear not I am continuing to get work done. I will post a full update when I do my next release.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Just messed around with it, looks great. I haven't used it yet since I'm in the middle of my finals but I'll definitely use it to make some interesting encounter for my next session.

Quick question I didn't see any way to download any of the apps I'd love to have the them (especially the random encounter generator, a lifesaver for when the pc's go off my rails, damn pc's and them not doing what I expect them to do) on my non internet connected laptop that I use when I game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

This is awesome. I just made a 20HD half-black-dragon bulette, which is basically the coolest monster ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

12. - Top - End - #12

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    This is awesome. I just made a 20HD half-black-dragon bulette, which is basically the coolest monster ever.
    If I can add even one 20HD half-black-dragon bulette to a D&D universe, I believe I have done my part.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

This is not a tool, it's a work of art.

...and an incredibly useful tool!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thank you for linking to this website. Instant bookmark!

White Half-Dragon Ghost Fiendish Hydra, 9-headed, Barbarian 5 CR 19

I love template stacking.
    Just bear with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Nah, Anthropomorphic Bear Werebear Bear Totem Barbarian Bear Warrior Bearlord.
    See? Was that so unbearable?

15. - Top - End - #15

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Quick question I didn't see any way to download any of the apps I'd love to have the them (especially the random encounter generator, a lifesaver for when the pc's go off my rails, damn pc's and them not doing what I expect them to do) on my non internet connected laptop that I use when I game.
    An offline version of all of my apps is in the pipeline for development. I will be honest though. It is currently a long pipeline. Suffice it to say that you are amongst many others who would like such an offering and it is something I have every intention of seeing accomplished. My focus right now is getting to 100% coverage of SRD creatures and we are very close. (I will put out a full announcement when that phase is complete).

16. - Top - End - #16

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    This is not a tool, it's a work of art.

...and an incredibly useful tool!
    You are far too kind...although I must say you have a keen eye for excellence! I am glad you enjoy it. I shall endeavor to continue to exceed your expectations.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Bookmarked, and testing!

I'm sorry to report, that the Main advancer does not work on my computer. It's a pity, because I'd really like to work with templates, which your quick advancer does not do. Of course, It's partly due to the fact that this computer is still a windows '95 opperating system. And, since the Quick advancer does not appear to have templates, I'm stuck without.

Just, in short, I'd like to see a version more compatible with older version that DOES allow templates.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

18. - Top - End - #18

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    And, since the Quick advancer does not appear to have templates, I'm stuck without.
    I have been thinking of putting the templates on the Quickened version so I will try to get to that sooner rather than later just for you.

Currently, I believe I the site works on IE6 and greater, FireFox, Chrome 1.0+, Safari 3.0+, Opera at least 9...not sure, I have even seen Droid phones, ipod touch, and a number of other mobile browsers as well...so if moving to any of those is possible that is always an option as well.

If you send me an email of what browser and version you are using (usually on the "About" entry in the menu) I can see if it is something I can make more backwards compatible.

Thanks for letting me know!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's a wonderful tool. It exponentially increases the potential yield for a GM/DM/what have you in a pinch due to its simple controls and calculating capabilities. My only beef would be that you can't input any custom monsters or templates to go beyond the main threshold and into homebrew, but I imagine that's not something easy to program, so it's a minor beef.
    LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

This is an incredibly useful tool that I have been using for months now in my current campaign. Every DM should check this wonderful time saving device out.

You are definitely getting a donation from me this holiday season.

21. - Top - End - #21

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheOverlord View Post
    I have been thinking of putting the templates on the Quickened version so I will try to get to that sooner rather than later just for you.
    Just as a heads up I tested this functionality just yesterday as I was snowed in and had some nice free time on my hands. For the Quickened Advancer This will allow a single template to be added to any creature with a simple drop down with a default of "No Template" for now but I plan on making it work nicely for more than one template fairly soon. It is still lightning fast and just as quick for anyone who doesn't use templates. I will let you know when I release it as it should be ready for public consumption in the next couple days.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I like it. Although a standalone client would be nice as well.
    Your javascript is pritty cleen. I like your hack job there. heh...

What where you thinking about writing the Standalone in?

Not to be a **** or any thing just some constructive crit.
    I would expand your Recent creatures, templates, armour, shield and magic item fields by a little bit i think you won't loose to much realestate but you will get some better formatting in the lists.

PM if you want any help with the standalone.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by maestro78 View Post
    This is an incredibly useful tool
    I would appreciate it more if it calculated CR; at current my skeletal zombie fiendish orc is still rated as CR 1

I also noticed that a lot of templates were missing.

Also, yeah, the boxes that the lists are contained in could be larger
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2009-12-10 at 05:06 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

24. - Top - End - #24

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    ...my skeletal zombie fiendish orc is still rated as CR 1
    The CR calculation works fairly well. If you start combining templates that basically break all the rules (such as a skeletal zombie you will start to see some problems) Since both the skeletal and zombie templates are designed as to have fixed CR based on HD this calculation tends to win out over my actual calculated CR.

I will take a look at this to see if I can't make it a bit nicer and perhaps give a better guess at CR if you combine a fixed CR style calculation with something like fiendish which augments the CR based on HD.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I also noticed that a lot of templates were missing.
    I work on new content nearly every day that I can squeeze in a few more creatures or a template or two. (These take a while to release as my releases are more spread out to minimize down-time). Keep watching I will get them in. If you have specifics you are missing just let me know and I can bump them up the priority list.

25. - Top - End - #25

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    Your javascript is pritty cleen. I like your hack job there. heh....
    Just minimizing page loading times by both minifying/concatenating all my javascript files into one file. (See Yahoo best practices for speeding up your website)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    What where you thinking about writing the Standalone in?
    A standalone is down the pipeline a ways but it is on my radar. My application is written in java and I plan on using some basic tools to make it into a basic standalone executable...but this is still far enough off I am not making any technology decisions now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

The CR calculation works fairly well.
    Ah, okay then. I guess I just picked a bad thing to start with. I was under the impression there was none. Glad to hear everything is shipshape, keep up the great work, etc.

Eagerly awaiting the standalone version.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I have to say this is really really great. It is bookmarked and on my firefox toolbar. Excellent work.

I have some bugs to report though:
    1) the vampire template does not give the energy drain ability
    2) the fire immunity gained from a half dragon template does not show up.

Also are the stat points gained from advancement already factored in; or do we add them ourselves?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Just minimizing page loading times by both minifying/concatenating all my javascript files into one file. (See Yahoo best practices for speeding up your website)

A standalone is down the pipeline a ways but it is on my radar. My application is written in java and I plan on using some basic tools to make it into a basic standalone executable...but this is still far enough off I am not making any technology decisions now.
    ya i've read the yahoo article...

O if it is written in java not java script then porting it should be easy. Depending on how much you rely on the extend or includes applet, it shouldn't be to much of a problem. I am a big fan of java. if you want help let me know.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

29. - Top - End - #29

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    I have to say this is really really great. It is bookmarked and on my firefox toolbar. Excellent work.

I have some bugs to report though:
    1) the vampire template does not give the energy drain ability
    2) the fire immunity gained from a half dragon template does not show up.

Also are the stat points gained from advancement already factored in; or do we add them ourselves?
    I will add the energy drain to the vampire template and the energy immunity based on dragon type...these all appear to be oversights on my part as opposed to something that isn't working. Good catch though. As often as those templates are used I am surprised no one else has brought it to my attention.

30. - Top - End - #30

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    ...And, since the Quick advancer does not appear to have templates, I'm stuck without.

Just, in short, I'd like to see a version more compatible with older version that DOES allow templates.
    Your wish has been granted by the Overlord. The Quickened Advancer now allows templates...or 1 template to be exact...but that is merely to get the functionality in there right away. I just need to decide a nice way to allow multiple templates to be selected swiftly and I will make it ever better.

(Also added a bunch of creatures for mounts as well as added a quick print preview function--mostly to highlight that the print version is always made print-friendly...and to make it a bit more Chrome friendly.)