New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: What do you think about Erfworld after reading the first few pages?

Voters
501. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it primarily because of the art style

163 32.53%
  • I like it primarily because of the "childlike" aesthetic

65 12.97%
  • I like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue

196 39.12%
  • I like it primarily because the story/plot seems interesting

184 36.73%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the art style

36 7.19%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the "childlike" aesthetic

93 18.56%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue

80 15.97%
  • I don't like it primarily because the story/plot seems boring/confusing/bad

99 19.76%
  • I will continue reading it regularly (as long as nothing changes for the worse).

253 50.50%
  • I will check it out from time to time, when I remember or OOTS is late

153 30.54%
  • I will not continue reading it at all.

28 5.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: First Impressions

Saying it is crap, would be too kind.
    ...It's worth ANY risk!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm kind of so-so on the new comic, but I'm hoping that is because there isn't much to read yet. (So smart to release several pages at once, because one page at a time at the beginning would have killed it.)

I will continue to read it (mostly because it's easy to go to, as I check OotS three times each week) and as the story develops, I hope I have reason to visit here five times each week! I like the characters from the first few pages. I'm hoping the others will flesh out as well. I probably depend more on good character development than I do on artwork to read a story.

Anyhow, my votes were I like the storyline/plot and I will continue reading the comic as long as it doesn't get worse. (I think that's a funny way of putting it, but probably very accurate for most voters.)
    "if you wannabe thog's lover, you gotta get with thog's friends..." OotS #387

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I rather like it, although I agree with some that it's a bit difficult to be absolutely sure; I takes a bit of time to get used to a new setting when you're a OOTS fan. Like many others I'll wait and give the story some time to unfurl.

On the positive side I must say that I really like the humourous twist to the normal RPG-language. Some roleplayers that I have known over the years have had that habit of taking themselves and the rules much too seriously. This is not in the spirit of the game if you ask me. Roleplaying is supposed to be fun, and you shouldn't too serious about it. At least not all the time. Everything needs to be poked fun at from time to time, and the twisting of the language - that some of the people, who don't like Erfworld, seems to take offense of - was the first thing that really made me look and read it again. To me at least, that's the main reason that I kept reading it - and will keep reading it in the near future.

Short comments :
    - The dialogue is good. Lots of dry intelligent wit and underplayed humour, which I like. Keep it up.

- The artwork is also good. Clean lines and nice crisp colours. Makes me think of classics like Bone and Cerebus (although both b/w) and web-comics Toysville and Wally & Osborne. It doesn't seem at all like manga to me, as some has mentioned. One of the main reasons : small eyes.

- The plot. Hmmm, not much of a plot up till now. We are just getting to know the characters for the moment, so I'll just wait and see. But it could get very interesting.

Signing off.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    First off, how did you get a transcript of that conversation?

Second, I wasn't aware that erf was a fruit. I'll have to wikipedia that sometime.

Third, you also managed to leave out the part where we both agreed to prance around naked throwing rose petals and rice whenever a bell rings!

That post was funnier than your entire comic! I can hear the smoke alarms going off right now, cause you just got BURNED!!!

Seriously though, it's a good thing you can laugh at yourself. It'll help during the long recovery from those third degree schorchings you just received.
    Last edited by theKOT; 2006-12-14 at 04:34 PM.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by theKOT View Post
    That post was funnier than your entire comic! I can hear the smoke alarms going off right now, cause you just got BURNED!!!

Seriously though, it's a good thing you can laugh at yourself. It'll help during the long recovery from those third degree schorchings you just recieved.
    I tend to not take myself too seriously.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

It's been said earlier in this thread, but I'll repeat it here. If this comic had not been posted on Rich's website, I suspect it would quickly go the way of the dinosaur. The artwork is somehow unappealing. I'm not saying the artist is unskilled, simply that the way the artwork for this particular comic comes together is somehow aesthetically displeasing.

The humour is lacking. I realize humour is subjective, but I can find just about anything funny. This strip lacks humour, in a large way.

My final complaint has to be the baby tawk. It's not cute, or funny, it is irritating. Calling a dragon a dwagon doesn't make me want to read your comic. Calling a griffon a gwiffon doesn't do the job either. In fact, these devices are simply making me shake my head in the realization that this webcomic will be dead to me. Again, if this comic made it's debut anywhere other than here, it would be dead before it started.

Just my 2 cents worth.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    I tend to not take myself too seriously.
    As opposed to some other people on the boards.... who appear to take themselves waaay too seriously.

Not to mention the huge egos. "I don't like the comic, therefore it won't do well." It is quite amusing that these people think their opinion actually makes a difference, or that anyone should care.

Constructive criticism is handy, explanations of why you like the comic is handy. Otherwise it is just a bunch of words on a screen wasting bandwidth.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGreek View Post
    The humour is lacking. I realize humour is subjective, but I can find just about anything funny. This strip lacks humour, in a large way.
    And I thought the TV show Full House was a complete waste of time with no entertainment value at all.... yet it continued to run for years and years.

Clearly my disdain for the show didn't get it pulled off the air.

So I say to those of you who dislike this comic and think it will die:
    "Don't hold your breath"

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    And I thought the TV show Full House was a complete waste of time with no entertainment value at all.... yet it continued to run for years and years.

Clearly my disdain for the show didn't get it pulled off the air.

So I say to those of you who dislike this comic and think it will die:
    "Don't hold your breath"
    So this webcomic will do well because you like it? Or will it succeed because a poll in its section of the forums yields positive results? Unless you... Scratch that; unless anyone is psychic, they don't know what will happen, period. It is very presumptuous of you to soapbox and call everybody out like that.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by theKOT View Post
    So this webcomic will do well because you like it?
    I don't know if it will do well or not, and I never claimed I did. And I never said that I liked it (or didn't like it). I said that people who think the comic will die because they don't like it shouldn't hold their breath.

[edit]I thought I made it clear in my post that my opinion makes no difference... [/edit]

Or will it succeed because a poll in its section of the forums yields positive results? Unless you... Scratch that; unless anyone is psychic, they don't know what will happen, period.
    Exactly. Nobody knows how well it will do, but a bunch of people are arrogant enought to post comments saying that the comic won't last becasue they don't like it.

It is very presumptuous of you to soapbox and call everybody out like that.
    I calls them as I sees them
    Last edited by Aliquid; 2006-12-14 at 06:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

I calls them as I sees them
    And everyone predicting failure was simply doing the same.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

The Giant was asking people for opinions, and the author and artist also seem interested in what we think of the comic. I think they're thick skinned enough to be able to handle constructive criticism, and witty enough to deal with anything not-quite-constructive too

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

As opposed to some other people on the boards.... who appear to take themselves waaay too seriously.

Not to mention the huge egos. "I don't like the comic, therefore it won't do well." It is quite amusing that these people think their opinion actually makes a difference, or that anyone should care.

Constructive criticism is handy, explanations of why you like the comic is handy. Otherwise it is just a bunch of words on a screen wasting bandwidth.
    And I find it amusing that you're giving your opinion on how little people's opinions matter, and thinking that yours means anything either.

Not all criticism need be constructive, especially when the call was for opinions, not help writing comics. Likewise, neither does making an opinion-based prediction offer evidence of an inflated ego.

Soapbox speeches whitewashing groups of people, on the other hand.

Funny how that works.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, the comic confused me, I don't get the plot and the names are confusing. I'll probably get it later on, but that's my first impression.
    Blah!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, I guess I'm in the same boat as many people... I'll wait until a few pages have accumulated before reading more and hopefully that will help since the plot will need time to unfold. I think that's the main reason I'm not getting into it at all... it's like the author knows that the plot will take forever to develop so tries to speed it up by cramming alot into one panel. There's not really any way around it though. Artwork is good, not my style but the talent is there, nonetheless. The baby-talk has got to go for me to keep reading it, but I don't really count since the polls indicate people love it and maybe it won't get as stale as I think. Overall at this point: not particularly interested and I wouldn't ever see it again if it weren't linked below OOTS but I'll at least give it more time and a second chance.

Also, to theKOT and Aliquid: Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics.. even if you win, you're still retarded.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

On first impressions, I can't say that it really 'does it' for me. The art has its moments, but it's not always clear what's going on. Without reading a load of other threads in this forum and thus not knowing how the art is produced, it almost looks like a mix of cel-rendered 3D character models over painted backgrounds - a good idea, and the actual character design seems solid (the girls in particular have a good overall style to them), but the characters seem to lack definition in the final product and the viewing angles aren't always intuitive.

The story and setting have some good touches - I particularly like the X-mancers as infuriatingly amusing puns - but I'm finding that it doesn't keep my interest, and some characters (Stanley - is he meant to look like Eminem, by the way? I'm presuming the reference is to 'Stan') annoy me more than intrigue me.

The one thing I really dislike, though, is the choice of font for the speech balloons. It's distractingly unclear and just doesn't flow well.

Overall, it scores a 'meh' so far. I'd like to like it, and I think it has potential, but at the moment it isn't pushing the buttons.
    Last edited by SiD; 2006-12-14 at 11:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Grungydan View Post
    And I find it amusing that you're giving your opinion on how little people's opinions matter, and thinking that yours means anything either.
    I don't think it does.

Not all criticism need be constructive, especially when the call was for opinions, not help writing comics. Likewise, neither does making an opinion-based prediction offer evidence of an inflated ego.
    No, but the way they phrase it does.

Soapbox speeches whitewashing groups of people, on the other hand.

Funny how that works.
    now now, if you are attacking my integrity, we are dealing with a pot calling a kettle black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingeloakastimizilian View Post
    Also, to theKOT and Aliquid: Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics.. even if you win, you're still retarded.
    Hey, don't knock winning at the special olympics. Seriously. Have you seen how happy those athletes are when they win? If I could get that level of joy by arguing on the internet, I would be glued to the screen 24/7

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey, don't knock winning at the special olympics. Seriously. Have you seen how happy those athletes are when they win? If I could get that level of joy by arguing on the internet, I would be glued to the screen 24/7
    HAHAHA!
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Ingeloakastimizilian View Post
    Comparing me to a retarded person is mean to him. Now apologize to jimmy!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I registered just to say this.

The comic is only 8 pages old so to you nay sayers give it time. If I based my opinion on the first 8 comics of many of the webcomics I read chances are I wouldn't have nearly as many comics as I do now on my list.

and now for something completely different

Its a good start, the story is semi interesting for only 8 pages, the characters seem a little lacking to me but that will change with time. It has some serious potential and has a very nice style of humor.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

I kinda think Erfworld isn't suposed to be slap-stic/over-the-top humor like OotS and 8BT...

that said...

i think i'm noticing a trend... the better the art work, the more serious the comic.

Don't get me wrong, I love OotS! the art, the jokes and the characters... and that story! best part of it! but it has only made me fall out of my chair laughing about 3 times. 8BT usualy has me ROFL every 30 to 60 pages... i think... but that's a Stabby/three stooges kind of funny.

any way, i'm gonna give Erfworld a try. i like all kinds of funny...

/stab!
    i think i need a Sig...
    oddly enough...

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

The languages bothers me a bit, but the plot is quite fascinating. I want to know more, so it does its job of pulling you in...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

Hey, Aliquid, can you please do something with me? DELETED Please read aloud with me, the title of this thread. Ready?

"What do you think of Erfworld after reading the first few pages?"

DELETED Now, please explain how you feel justified in showing disdain for those of us who shared our thoughts, but felt that it sucked? The question was given, many answered, yet you felt the need to be antagonistic? Is there any particular reason for this? DELETED

Voice of Mod: Couching personal attacks in the form of "questions" is still flaming.

EDIT> In the future I will endeavour to not let myself become baited by other's veiled attacks ('huge egos', 'arrogant' (where I come from, telling someone they have a huge ego, or that they are arrogant is considered offensive)) and keep to the topic at hand. As an aside, it's good to see the red letters are back :) <EDIT
    Last edited by AngryGreek; 2006-12-15 at 11:20 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Hey, Aliquid, can you please do something with me? Please read aloud with me, the title of this thread. Ready?

"What do you think of Erfworld after reading the first few pages?"

Now, please explain how you feel justified in showing disdain for those of us who shared our thoughts, but felt that it sucked?
    Personally, I've got no problem with people who say what they thought of Erfworld. If they thought it sucked and said so, fair play to 'em. What's irritating is the people who've interpreted 'what did you think of it' as 'please abuse the creators and make blanket statements like "this lacks all humour" despite the fact that lots of people have already said they've found it funny.' That, I think, is arrogant.

But yeah, I'm not Aliquid but for my part I'm sorry if my irritation at the minority of arrogrant pricks has come out in replies to those who've just been giving their honest opinion.
    Last edited by Jorkens; 2006-12-15 at 08:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

Normally I would precede posts like that with "I think" or "I feel", to make it clear that these beliefs are my own. I didn't think it was necessary in this thread given the title *shrug*. Goes to show the old adage 'never assume' still holds true.

To clarify, my statements about this comic (that I obviously do not like much at all) are my personal opinions. I hope that clarifies a few things. In the future, maybe we should have threads titled 'Please tell us what you think as long as it's positive' to save us from public crucifixion.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

I didn't expect an 'OotS' spin off. I did expect it to be of the same quality and for the humor to be more intelligent and relevant. I have to say I'm mostly disappointed. I'll continue to read it for a time to give it some room to grow on me but the first few issues really left me scratching my head more often than not.

27. - Top - End - #147

Normally I would precede posts like that with "I think" or "I feel", to make it clear that these beliefs are my own. I didn't think it was necessary in this thread given the title *shrug*. Goes to show the old adage 'never assume' still holds true.

To clarify, my statements about this comic (that I obviously do not like much at all) are my personal opinions. I hope that clarifies a few things. In the future, maybe we should have threads titled 'Please tell us what you think as long as it's positive' to save us from public crucifixion.
    FWIW (and I'm not expecting you to frame this and stick it on the wall or anything) I had you in with the honest opinions rather than arrogant pricks.

Anyway, I'm going to go and do something constructive...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Too late, already framed, matted, and hanging beautifully on my wall :-P

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm on the fence for now. I really like the art style and technique. I like some of where this has gone so far, but I'm afraid that some of the game-oriented "jokes" that appear to be just part of the world, such as "doombats only have 22 move" could get annoying if they are used throughout the life of the comic. The pace seems very slow so far and, if it is only updated twice a week, it seems like it might take way too long to get anywhere. For strips 7 and 8 I got to the end of each and thought, "That's it?"

I think I will probably stick with it, but will probably only read it once every other week or so when I have at least four new strips at one time. Maybe then I won't feel it is so slow.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Halfling in the Playground

i dont realy think it's that great, im gonna keep reading it though, cos you never know how it might get better. i just remebered i came on the computer to look fo a zelda guide... ok goodby
    proud founder of the cult of
    orthodox Banjoists
    we currently have: 4 members

(copy and paste that into your signiture to join, and send me a sacrificed goat and/or a message saying you have joined)

Visit Weebl you'll like him if you like funny things