New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rpgsr4me's Ravenous, Roaring, Raging Rampage of Random Banter #134

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    And this is why I failed Latin last year.
    Latin is a dead language... not written.. but it wasn't spoken for hundreds of years. The teacher at my school had an oral exam for Latin which was 90% of your grade. So it was really how did she think it should be pronounced.

-Wrath
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ettin in the Playground

Hah. I dropped Latin. That was more to do with the class and teacher being a rutting JOKE than anything else, but still.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    Latin is a dead language... not written.. but it wasn't spoken for hundreds of years. The teacher at my school had an oral exam for Latin which was 90% of your grade. So it was really how did she think it should be pronounced.

-Wrath
    Didn't the catholic church use spoken latin until fairly recently?

4. - Top - End - #1444

Quote Originally Posted by Fostire View Post
    Didn't the catholic church use spoken latin until fairly recently?
    well, not any I've been to. I might be wrong though, I mean, who knows?

but Frankly if someone has been...it doesn't matter. The teacher did the same based on her pronunciation so it wouldnt have mattered =(

-Wrath
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    And this is why I failed Latin last year.
    In concilio Scythiae, Latina relinquit te!

As the other fella mentioned, there is a contemporary church Latin pronunciation, and there is also an academically reconstructed classical pronunciation.

Still, the discourse of Latin studies is literary. It's totally ridiculous to make any oral component, in my opinion, especially with that much weight.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2009-12-08 at 06:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Dwarf in the Playground

-Wrath
    Why would you ever. My grasp of Latin grammar and structure was excellent when I took it (I was expressly forbidden from participating in class sight-reading a couple of times because I read too quickly to allow the other kids a chance ), but I could never translate aurally/orally. It processes differently. Seriously, 90% of your grade? That's not even remotely approaching fair unless oral translation was all you practiced, and, seriously, why would you? The only place Latin's spoken these days is in the Catholic church (and not even universally), and church Latin is pronounced differently, anyway.

</Latin-student-raaaeeeegg>
    Eat Poop You Cat
    Round 1 (0/8)- Currently Playing: N/A

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    In concilio Scythiae, Latina relinquit te!
    Yes. Yes it did.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

As I said awhile ago on an RB thread, I failed several subjects.

We had a few tests a week ago.

I got 90-100% on them all.
    trill in da playground

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Firbolg in the Playground

GRRARR!!!

These LaTeX errors make little or no sense, and I need to have this presentation ready by friday.

I mean, seriously, "Missing number, treated as zero"? why would there be a number in the \end{frame} command? Or, for that matter, units, since that's the next error? And why do these same nonsensical errors come up several times each? What is \@xdblarg ?

I could go on, but you get the idea. These error messages seem to be talking about a file which is not the one I just compiled.

About 12 hours ago, I thought this was really neat. Now, I'm wondering if I should just give up and do it in Powerpoint instead...
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations Phase.

You've officially proven to me that I am in love with Nicole Sullivan, or at the very least her voice.

Her eternally reoccurring voice.

She shows up in just as many as my favourite shows as Phil Freaking LaMarr.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

Even Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? She was in that, too.

12. - Top - End - #1452

So my car window was replaced today for only $148.

Hell yeah.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

It's still inconvenient to pay for some idiot's damage, but that's not a bank-breaker, huh?

So I ordered this underwear whose colour is called "Persimmon Orange."
    It arrives today, and on the bill the company mispelt it "Permission Orange," and I thought that's a bit cheeky, isn't it? If they have something to say to me, they should say it.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

It's still inconvenient to pay for some idiot's damage, but that's not a bank-breaker, huh?

So I ordered this underwear whose colour is called "Persimmon Orange."
    It arrives today, and on the bill the company mispelt it "Permission Orange," and I thought that's a bit cheeky, isn't it? If they have something to say to me, they should say it.
    ...The internet is a wonderful thing, in that it allows me to look up the color of Persimmons to know exactly what color you are referring to, and allows my curiosity to then lead me to finding out that persimmons are a slightly tart but sweet fruit with several species, but that the most common ones look like orange tomatoes.

Also, I often get them confused with pomegranate. Which I often misspell as pomegranite.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

15. - Top - End - #1455

Yeah, it's much better than I thought it would be. And, now I have money with which I can buy Christmas presents for several people. Hooray!
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

If they have something to say to me, they should say it.
    Yeah, okay. We here at the Subtle Reminders Underwear Corporation think you should stop sleeping around so much, it's bad for our image as a family underwear provider.

ION, 50%-off crotch-less lingerie! Buy your woman something you'll REALLY enjoy!

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HotAndCold View Post
    Also a fun fact! The word for mother starts with an m in most languages!
    Another fun fact, to a non-native speaker of Russian, the word for "mother" and the word for "vulgarity" are nearly identical.

Mother = mat (mot)
    Vulgarity = matj (same as above, but with a palatalized 't'. Since most of us speak a language that doesn't have a palatalization marker (in Russian, the "soft sign") it takes a lot of practice to be able to hear or pronounce the difference*.)

*This leads to a tangent story from when I was learning Russian. The Russian term for the soft sign is "myagkiy znak". In typically linguistic evolution, the "g" in myagkiy is often swallowed making the word sound more like myakiy when spoken. The Russian word for "with" is simply "c", pronounced as an "s". So, when asking for spelling of words, specifically "is this word spelled with a soft sign?" the question, applying proper declension is "c myagkim znakom?" which sounds a LOT like "smack 'im, snack 'im?"

Okay, that was a long way to go for a locality joke**. I apologize.

**You had to be there.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Yeah, okay. We here at the Subtle Reminders Underwear Corporation think you should stop sleeping around so much, it's bad for our image as a family underwear provider.

ION, 50%-off crotch-less lingerie! Buy your woman something you'll REALLY enjoy!
    Thank you. I'm glad you saw that subtext too.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Just checked the texts from my two main set texts, and it doesn't have a copy of that in it. Can you recommend a book with it in? Or a site? It sounds fascinating.
    I can't recommend a book, because the one I read it from was about 100 years old from my university's library, but I did find a site that has the text if you care to peruse it.
    This site has a million medieval studies resources: step into Old English, then the Old English Poetry, Alphabetical Index, and finally Genesis A, B (it's just plain text without commentary or glossary though). It looks like there's some interesting articles in the Old English section too.

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    ...The internet is a wonderful thing, in that it allows me to look up the color of Persimmons to know exactly what color you are referring to, and allows my curiosity to then lead me to finding out that persimmons are a slightly tart but sweet fruit with several species, but that the most common ones look like orange tomatoes.

Also, I often get them confused with pomegranate. Which I often misspell as pomegranite.
    Pomegranates are delicious.
    Persimmons only slightly less so. And not only are they nutritious, their namesake colour makes for sexy undies skivvies.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2009-12-09 at 02:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Another fun fact, to a non-native speaker of Russian, the word for "mother" and the word for "vulgarity" are nearly identical.

Mother = mat (mot)
    Vulgarity = matj (same as above, but with a palatalized 't'. Since most of us speak a language that doesn't have a palatalization marker (in Russian, the "soft sign") it takes a lot of practice to be able to hear or pronounce the difference*.)
    Hunh, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reason the two are similar, or if it's just a bizarre coincidence.

Continuing the lingual fun facts, here's one that's definitely not coincidental.

A Latin word for beautiful: bellum
    A Latin word for ugly: foedus

A Latin word for war: bellum
    A Latin word for treaty: foedus

The Romans were pretty big fans of that "war" thing.
    Eat Poop You Cat
    Round 1 (0/8)- Currently Playing: N/A

20. - Top - End - #1460

Hunh, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reason the two are similar, or if it's just a bizarre coincidence.
    We just have a thing for insulting each other's moms.

21. - Top - End - #1461

STUPID TROLL!
    Why doesn't he just go away!
    ARGH.

It's enough that I have to delete his posts. I hope he doesn't realise that if he starts posting in the other forums, I can't do anything there. GO AWAY TROLL.

I am cross about a troll!
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    STUPID TROLL!
    Why doesn't he just go away!
    ARGH.

It's enough that I have to delete his posts. I hope he doesn't realise that if he starts posting in the other forums, I can't do anything there. GO AWAY TROLL.

I am cross about a troll!
    Where is this troll? In the playground?

In other news time zone differences are annoying when your in the free form roleplaying section.

23. - Top - End - #1463

Nah, I can't delete posts here (or CAN I?)

Another forum which I frequent. He's so irritating and I thought I'd share my irritation! Damn Good Times, no?
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HotAndCold View Post

Continuing the lingual fun facts, here's one that's definitely not coincidental.

A Latin word for beautiful: bellum
    A Latin word for ugly: foedus

A Latin word for war: bellum
    A Latin word for treaty: foedus

The Romans were pretty big fans of that "war" thing.
    That's simplifying the matter a bit, innit? Bellum for war is a corruption of the older form duellum. The root for ugly (which is too simplistic a gloss for the word, btw) is foed* but the root for treaty is foeder* with a contraction in the nominative form. :P It is a coincidence.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Nah, I can't delete posts here (or CAN I?)

Another forum which I frequent. He's so irritating and I thought I'd share my irritation! Damn Good Times, no?
    Right I should have caught that. If you can deleat posts can't you ban him?

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Banned

Dogmantra: If you have the option "Approve by a moderator before posting", turn that on for your nuisance. It'll save your sanity.

Kneenibble: I don't know if I'm more titillated by the invoice or the etymology.

RPGSR4ME: I blame you for this second doubling of RB threads!
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2009-12-09 at 01:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'm just going to go on posting in 'dis thread till we reach 50.

Kids these days....Not even waiting till page 50.

Back in my day, there was always somebody who called dibs and we'd wait till page 50, sometimes even page 51!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post

Back in my day, there was always somebody who called dibs and we'd wait till page 50, sometimes even page 51!
    According to the rules you can go up to the 30th post of the 50th page (the 1500th post) before the thread has to be locked.
    So yeah, too early.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post

Wait, we don't call dibs anymore? Someone just goes?

Well back in MY day... eh we did it pretty much the same...

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like my thread is about to die. But once I become a master of the Black Arts nothing, not even the mods, can stop me from raising it as an undead abomination BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* hahahaha *cough* *sputters* HA
    Last edited by Gullara; 2009-12-09 at 02:47 PM.