New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Skill Rules Absurdities (or, "Do you really want to do that?")

This came up in the last session.
    My Warforged Juggernaut wanted to jump a gap. A 5-foot gap.
    Simple, isn't it?
    No.

According to the rules, my Juggie takes a penalty for not having a 30-foot base movement. Because some of it's movement will be used in the jump, it doesn't have the required 'run-up' either, doubling the DC. Then there is the penalty for Adamantine Armour Plating (a requirement for Juggies).
    Basically, with no actual ranks in Jump, a Warforged Juggernaut needs to roll a 21 (on a D20) to make a 5-foot jump... even though the character is taller than that, and could simply fall across the hole and drag themselves up the other side.

Any more wierdities that people have noticed?
    Last edited by panaikhan; 2012-06-18 at 02:50 PM.
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rules Absurdities (or, "Do you really want to do that?")

No, you can make a 20' runup for the jump even if you don't have a 20' movement. There is no rule stating the runup and jump must be on the same round. Admittedly, then it's even more ridiculous (imagine jumping and freezing in midair as you run out of movement, to complete the jump on the next round), but works by the rules.

For something really absurd, check out the Faster-than-Light Horseback Travel:

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    Get a +19 Ride modifier. Line an arbitrarily-long row of horses, side to side. Mount one horse as a free action (DC 20 Ride check, achieved automatically), dismount as a free action on the other side (again, DC 20). Repeat as many times as needed, moving along the row of horses at arbitrarily high speed.
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2012-06-18 at 02:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Skill Rules Absurdities (or, "Do you really want to do that?")

You seem to have a very odd idea of what's trivial. A five foot standing jump is not something everyone can do and the character you described has numerous factors counting against him and may still be able to do it because of a most likely super human strength score.

Yes, your character could just fall across the gap, but then he'd need to make a climb check to scramble up the edge which the armor check penalty would still apply to. You'd more than likely succeed, but look lame doing it; the choice you made (or considered) leads to plenty of real world injuries.

4. - Top - End - #4

DC 5 normally for a 5-foot long jump. Double that for no running start, that's DC 10. -5 penalty for the Adamantine Body feat, equivalent to a DC 15. I assume that since you're a juggernaut, you also have a pretty good str score? That's nowhere near your numbers. What's the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    DC 5 normally for a 5-foot long jump. Double that for no running start, that's DC 10. -5 penalty for the Adamantine Body feat, equivalent to a DC 15. I assume that since you're a juggernaut, you also have a pretty good str score? That's nowhere near your numbers. What's the deal?
    Looks like he's also taking a -6 penalty for 20ft move speed. Still, I'd assume a character like that has a decent Str score.

As for the claim of that being absurd, I don't think so. I seriously doubt I could make a 5-foot jump without a running start, and my body isn't even made out of adamantine.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-06-18 at 06:14 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    Any more wierdities that people have noticed?
    Anything involving Diplomancy, Bluff, or Knowledge: Local as-written.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As for the claim of that being absurd, I don't think so. I seriously doubt I could make a 5-foot jump without a running start, and my body isn't even made out of adamantine.
    I agree. I wouldn't assume it to be too hard for a person, but that is still assuming completely unencumbered.

Of course, just because you cannot jump five feet doesn't mean you couldn't just reach over the gap - or even simply step over it. I'd certainly assume that someone weighing close to a ton would have poor jumping ability, which naturally limits their mobility in some ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A classic skill check absurdity: seeing the moon requires a spot check of over 100 million.

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    A classic skill check absurdity: seeing the moon requires a spot check of over 100 million.
    You do not need to make a spot check for something out in the open; plainly visible objects, especially light sources, are automatically seen.

Your required spot check is better for spotting, say, a specific lunar crater from under a forest canopy - something a bit more difficult.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Things like:
    1. How you can grab people who are climbing the same place as you without the need for an action (so even if its out of your turn, and without even needing a reflex save!).
    2. How you can turn everyone into you best buddies ever with diplomacy. (Hitting a DC of 50 isn't that hard even before epic, epic just makes it not need work at all, and allows you to become a god by converting everyone into fanatics that worship you. Better god for a day per charisma than never god at all)
    3. How only forgers can spot a forgery (Forgery is a resisted roll by a forgery check), so you can fake the king's seal and the king himself would be none the wiser.
    4. How you can strip someone naked, in less than 6 seconds? (Sleight of Hand rules). That has a fixed DC 20 to happen, and the oponent gets a spot check to notice you are picking them clean, not to stop you. So even if they see you, you continue your dire work, strip them naked, and just need to run away. (After at most rolling initiative, might want to see about just droping the enemy pants, that might count as entangling them...)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    You do not need to make a spot check for something out in the open; plainly visible objects, especially light sources, are automatically seen.

Your required spot check is better for spotting, say, a specific lunar crater from under a forest canopy - something a bit more difficult.
    The moon isn't a light source. Plus:

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Very easy (0) Notice something large in plain sight (Spot)
    plus
    Per 10 feet of distance -1

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Thats just a technicality. For all intents and purposes, it is a light source, even if it is just reflected light.

Also:

The Spot skill is used primarily to detect characters or creatures who are hiding
    Bolded for emphasis.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2012-06-18 at 06:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

About spot: Huh, never noticed that clause.

About SoH: The DC 20 check carries a -20 penalty, to be precise, and, well...look up the Lightning Thief/Air Goblin Express stuff on this site.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The moon counts as a colossal+++++++++++++++++... object (rules for larger than colossal objects from draconium) so the bonus from it's spot and penalty for distance largely cancel.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #14

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Very easy (0) Notice something large in plain sight (Spot)
    plus
    Per 10 feet of distance -1
    If we wish to get all technical and rules-lawyer-y, such penalities only apply to spot checks made to determine distance at the beginning of an encounter. SRD formatting isn't technically RAW-legal, if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty, and the penality is not mentioned anywhere else.

[Edit] You can also say the moon is an object without a dexterity score, and thus automatically fails all dex-based skill checks... such as a hide check. Unless there is something blocking line-of-sight, any spot check result will end up succeeding.

Also, where are you getting the idea that the moon isn't a light source? If you are basing it off the list of light sources, then that would mean the sun isn't a light source either. If you are basing it off common sense, then of course it is.
    Last edited by erikun; 2012-06-18 at 07:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Also, where are you getting the idea that the moon isn't a light source? If you are basing it off the list of light sources, then that would mean the sun isn't a light source either. If you are basing it off common sense, then of course it is.
    I have no clue what list of light sources you are referring to, but I'm applying real world logic here:

The moon reflects light, not generate it, thus it is a light source in the same way that a mirror is.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Airanath View Post
    Things like:
    1. How you can grab people who are climbing the same place as you without the need for an action (so even if its out of your turn, and without even needing a reflex save!).
    2. How you can turn everyone into you best buddies ever with diplomacy. (Hitting a DC of 50 isn't that hard even before epic, epic just makes it not need work at all, and allows you to become a god by converting everyone into fanatics that worship you. Better god for a day per charisma than never god at all)
    3. How only forgers can spot a forgery (Forgery is a resisted roll by a forgery check), so you can fake the king's seal and the king himself would be none the wiser.
    4. How you can strip someone naked, in less than 6 seconds? (Sleight of Hand rules). That has a fixed DC 20 to happen, and the oponent gets a spot check to notice you are picking them clean, not to stop you. So even if they see you, you continue your dire work, strip them naked, and just need to run away. (After at most rolling initiative, might want to see about just droping the enemy pants, that might count as entangling them...)
    .... I don't know what you're trying to say with the first one, and I know the second is true, but I want to ask about the other one....

1. Forgery is not a trained-only skill. The king himself might not be able to tell the difference, but one of his trained sages or a high int court-wizard might.
    2. ... Hoooooow? Yes, you can make sleight of hand checks at DC 40 as a free action, but you can only take 'small objects' from a person, not their clothing or weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spot checks, they make very little sense with a -1 every 10ft rule. I have a DM who sticks to that pretty close. Longbow has a range increment of 110ft, or a -11 spot check. Who's making that at low level? I have a total of a 14 before roll for spot but things that are 340 ft away are invisible to me if they would normally be a DC 0 to spot.

In real life, I need glasses or contacts to see clearly , but I can still make out people walking along a path at a thousand feet, even if I can't see what they look like.

That's always really bugged me about the system and why I don't use the -1 for every 10 ft rule when I run game.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    .... I don't know what you're trying to say with the first one, and I know the second is true, but I want to ask about the other one....

1. Forgery is not a trained-only skill. The king himself might not be able to tell the difference, but one of his trained sages or a high int court-wizard might.
    2. ... Hoooooow? Yes, you can make sleight of hand checks at DC 40 as a free action, but you can only take 'small objects' from a person, not their clothing or weapons.
    The weapons might be a bit tricky, but you could take armor from them a link/piece at a time, and anything made of cloth a thread at a time. Granted, that does make it difficult for you to use for your own purposes, so might not want to do it to enemy loot...
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    The weapons might be a bit tricky, but you could take armor from them a link/piece at a time, and anything made of cloth a thread at a time. Granted, that does make it difficult for you to use for your own purposes, so might not want to do it to enemy loot...
    I'm pretty sure the Sleight of Hand skill does not give you free reign to dismantle another persons equipment piece by piece.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    This came up in the last session.
    My Warforged Juggernaut wanted to jump a gap. A 5-foot gap.
    Simple, isn't it?
    No.
    As others have mentioned, this seems completely reasonable. I want to add one anecdote to point out that this does make sense from a simulationist perspective, at least.

An elephant can not jump a 5 foot gap. In fact, and elephant can't jump a ONE foot gap. Elephants, it turns out, can't jump at all. They are incapable of getting all their limbs off the ground at the same time.

As for weird skill things, my personal favorite is how large a variance there is in the physical skills. A commoner is running away from a zombie, and tries to make a long jump to clear a pit (as far as he can, because he doesn't know how wide the pit is). He will sometimes jump as far as 20 feet, and sometimes will jump only a single foot. Have you ever tried to jump only 1 foot while running? It's bloody hard!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Sleight of Hand skill does not give you free reign to dismantle another persons equipment piece by piece.
    Probably wouldn't be permitted as a reasonable extrapolation by a DM, but I'd say that it's a possible reading of the rules. Was mostly joking in any case, given that this thread's all about stupid ideas involving skills.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

By RAW, most farmers won't have enough ranks in Knowledge: Nature to have any idea what those large mooing creatures on their farm are.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Just remembered my favourite one: Wolves can't survive in the wild

It's a DC 10 Survival check to get along in the wild, +2 for each additional character. A wolf with 4 cubs will have to make a DC 18 Survival check each day. In which she is unlikely to succeed, since wolves only have +1 Survival.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Salanmander View Post
    An elephant can not jump a 5 foot gap. In fact, and elephant can't jump a ONE foot gap. Elephants, it turns out, can't jump at all. They are incapable of getting all their limbs off the ground at the same time.
    That's an entirely different issue. The way elephant legs are shaped preclude them from making proper jumps. A Warforged Juggernaut can jump just fine, he's just heavy and unwieldy.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It's a DC 10 Survival check to get along in the wild, +2 for each additional character. A wolf with 4 cubs will have to make a DC 18 Survival check each day. In which she is unlikely to succeed, since wolves only have +1 Survival.
    Wolves hunt in packs. For the Aid Another bonus. Specifically, both mates hunt for half their litter, 8 mated wolves with four litters and two older wolves that can still hunt means 8 checks with 9 aid anothers each; an average of five of those will work, giving a +10 to the check, which at DC 14 is not all that difficult.

And Now You Know!

The next question is, what about foxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

A survival check isn't the only means of survival in the wild. A wolf can wander around, find something, hunt it and bring it back to its cubs easily enough without using the skill. The skill is there for streamlining.

Likewise, you don't need a Profession skill to earn money in a job. It's there for quickening otherwise boring and mundane parts of the game.

27. - Top - End - #27

Let's not forget about using Knowledge checks to predict the future!

Skill Focus (Speak Language) is more of an odd feat, but is skill related, so may qualify.

Forget farmers not being able to identify their herds - Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Survival Check DC 60 - Identify race/kind of creature(s) by tracks.

That's directly from the SRD. That's right, you've got to be epic to go "hmm, that looks like a bear track".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Survival Check DC 60 - Identify race/kind of creature(s) by tracks.

That's directly from the SRD. That's right, you've got to be epic to go "hmm, that looks like a bear track".
    Actually, with a DC 60 you know it was a black bear. Not a brown bear, not a dire bear, not an owlbear. A black bear.
    60 is still very high, though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.
    Can I sig this?
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.