Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Default Careless Investigation WW

Careless Investigation WW
    Narrator: Count Dingdong

April 11th

The train was barreling along, steadfast, straight down the track. Its destination was sure, final, the town of Carrion. Why I was heading there, well, I'd never been, but it was a bit more. It all started on a blustery April afternoon, about a week back. There was rain in the air as I sat in my office, listening to the pitter-patter, pitter-patter. The mail had arrived recently, like clockwork, and the bills served only to elicit a sigh, as I flipped through one after another. The nights were growing long in their dreariness, my days spent in the doldrums. I'd expected the same again, bills racking up and no jobs to pay them, yet the final envelope caught my eye. Strange it was, no return address, no stamp. How had the post carried it?

I pushed the others aside and opened it, unsure what to expect. The situation it spoke of seemed dire, volatile, one straw from breaking backs. The police in some small town offered me pay, a steady stipend as I worked on the case, with a large sum on completion, and there was no reason to decline. Strange though it might have been, I'd worked on stranger cases before. They always seemed dull at first. And so I packed my bags, and here I was, the train bound for Carrion, bags packed and ready. Ready to escape the boredom of the past weeks.

It seemed a simple situation, a small town, known for its alcohol. Turns out the operation was run by a gang, the Mooney Gang, they called themselves. It brought profit, and they had power, though they didn't abuse it. The police let them keep to themselves more or less. Now, it seemed another group was putting down roots, and tensions were starting to grow high. They called themselves the Shiners, brewing even more alcohol. Some is their own mix, but others... well, the talk of the town seems to be of them stealing brews from the Mooney Gang. And if things come to blows, the Police will have no choice but to interfere.

They need a detective, someone to figure out truth from lie and stop this fight from breaking out. They needed the best, and the best they found. How they found me, well, I've yet to figure out, but I've accepted this job, and I'll see it through. My first objective: determine how tense the situation is. A step from blows? A word? If secrets have been stolen, there's no telling what will push the gangs into action. All it might take is one wrong word, one wrong step. With luck, it wouldn't grow worse before I arrived. In two day's time, my investigation begins. As the sun rests, so does my pen.

Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

THIS IS A NO PM, BLIND GAME. You cannot talk about this game outside of the thread or QTs and cannot share QTs (or make your own). You MAY quote role PMs/QTs in thread, but you can also create fake role PMs. If asked, I will create a fake role PM for a player with the power and alignment they ask for. The exact roles and powers in this game are unknown, and I will not confirm or deny the existence of a role. Teams generally follow a naming pattern, but that's not always the case. For example, the Mooney Gang generally have animal codenames. The Shiners generally have name puns. The Police generally have positions. Town can be anything. But again, these patterns are NOT always followed...

This is a THREE team, RECRUITMENT game. The three teams are mostly balanced, though not all roles have an exact counterpart on the opposite side. The first team are the Mooney Gang (Mooney-aligned). The second team are the Shiners (Shiner-aligned). The third team are the Police (Police-aligned). There is a fourth team of recruits, the Town (Town-aligned). Town players can be recruited to any side or any combination of sides per the recruitment rules spoilered below. Please read them.

There are a total of 60 roles in this game, each with its own win condition. However, if we get a large number of starting players, I may increase the total roles to allow the revival recruitment to retain some use.

Recruitment:
    Spoiler
    Show

Each team has a Recruiter role. The Mooney recruiter is Luke "The Loon" Morris. The Shiner recruiter is Alan "Sonny" Lanning. The Police recruiter is Chief Darell. This role is in addition to their normal role and is assigned randomly at the start of the game. During the night, each recruiter may target a player to try and turn them to their side. The target is informed that the team tried to recruit them, and the recruiter is informed whether or not they succeeded.

A Town player can take a total of 3 recruitments. If a player is recruited 3 times by a single team, they gain that team's alignment and win condition. If a player is recruited 2 times by Team A and 1 time by Team B, they gain Team A's alignment and win condition but will get a half-win for fulfilling Team B's win condition. If a player is recruited by all 3 teams, they become Unaligned and win with any team.

If a player gets more than 3 recruitments, they win with the team(s) which recruited them the most and half-win with the other team(s).

Win conditions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mooney-aligned: Survive to the end of the game by eliminating every player who is not Mooney-aligned.
    Shiner-aligned: Survive to the end of the game by eliminating every player who is not Shiner-aligned.
    Police-aligned: Survive to the end of the game by eliminating every player who is not Police-aligned.

Town players must be recruited and win with their team, as follows:
    3 {Alignment} recruitments - Become {Alignment}-aligned, see above.
    2 {Team A}, 1 {Team B} recruitments - Become {Team A}-aligned by scry, also {Team B}-aligned for win conditions; full win with {Team A}, half win with {Team B}, see above.
    1 Mooney, 1 Shiner, 1 Police recruitments - Become Unaligned and count for all alignments for win conditions; full win with any team, see above.

In addition, each role has its own individual win condition. Fulfilling that gets the player another win.

In addition, players get survival wins for every 5 day/night cycles that they survive. This tally will be kept public.

The game will last through all 60 roles and then until one team wins. It will not be announced when all Town players have been recruited...

Every day phase (48 hours), players will choose a player to lynch by writing their name in red. If you change your vote, make sure to cross out your old vote. If the player with the most votes has at least 25% of living players voting for them, that player is lynched. Role names are revealed upon lynch; powers and alignment are not. If the most votes are for a No Lynch, if there's a tie, or if the player with the most votes doesn't have at least 25% of the players, the Executioner role decides who to kill. I will periodically post public vote tallies. I will also note the minimum number of votes required to lynch.

Every night phase (24 hours), players send in their night actions by QT. Most if not all players have a night action, so please use them. Players killed at night do not have their roles revealed... It is not revealed whether kills fail by bane, void, missed action, no Night-Killers, etc.

Helgraf's Scry Interference is in effect (2 scries on the same person in the same night return "No Scry"). This is not the only way to get a result of "No Scry."

If a player does not vote for 3 days in a row, they are autolynched, and their character dies. Please don't let that happen. If you know you will be away, post an away notice in the thread, QT, or by PM, and I won't count you for autolynch. Of course, you could still be killed.

Signing Up/Revival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you sign up for this game, choose a role number. Each number has been assigned a role, and you will get that role. Because this is basically random, teams will not necessarily start off with an even number of players. The Mooney Gang, Shiners, Police, or Town might be the majority in play, but it will not be revealed which is the case...

48 hours after the 15th player has signed up, the game will begin. Players who sign up after that point (choose a number!) will be Clueless Newcomers for a day and night phase before gaining their role. Clueless Newcomers cannot be killed during those phases but can still vote. They also do not count toward the 25% minimum needed to lynch.

Players who die can sign up for another role after two day/night cycles have passed. There may or may not be some roles which cause players to skip that delay. Reviving players sign up just like new players, by choosing a role number and becoming Clueless Newcomers for a day and a night.

There are 60 roles available. If we start off with a large number of players, I may up that to 75. Once all roles have been taken, there will be no more recruitment.

Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The exact roles will not be revealed. However, you can expect some standard roles and some non-standard roles. Every role has a power, but it may be passive for some players. You can look at the previous games for examples. The following is a non-comprehensive list of possible roles. Feel free to ask for clarification on my terminology.

Seer - This is any role which can target a player and get information about that player. Variations include Alignment Seer, Power Seer, Full Seer, Public Seer, Tracker, and Watcher. Any role with a scry may be a Fool.

Baner - This is any role which can stop a player from dying at night. Variations include Careless Baner, Careful Baner, Non-Consecutive Baner, and Self-Baner. Generally speaking, a bane protects against only one kill.

Day Baner - This is any role which can stop a player from dying from the lynch or Executioner. Variations include Careless Day-Baner, Careful Day-Baner, Non-Consecutive Day-Baner, and Self-Day-Baner.

Killer - This is any role which can target a player to try and kill them in the night. Variations include Careful Killer, Careless Killer, and Power Killer.

Voider - This is any role which stops a target from using their power that day or night. Variations include Careful Voider and Careless Voider.

Beast - This is any role which kills a player when the role dies. Variations include Random Beast and Targeting Beast. A Beast kill cannot kill someone from the same team and bypasses banes.

Disguiser - This is any role which changes the result of a scried player. This may be a passive or active role. For example, the standard role Alpha falls under this category as a passive Self-Disguiser.

Multi-Voter - This is any role which has more than one vote. The number of votes may vary, and this may be a passive or active role.

Recruitment Blocker - This is a role which can stop a player from being recruited by another team. Each team has at least one of these.

Recruiter - This is a secondary role which recruits Town-aligned players to the player's team. Each team has one, and the role is passed around at death to someone on the same team.

Executioner - This is a secondary role which decides who dies during the day if no one is chosen for lynch. The role is passed around at death to a random player.

***IMPORTANT*** There are NO Masons, and no players will be connected to each other.

Role Claims:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Role claims are allowed and even encouraged. If you would like me to create you a role to fake-claim with, send me a name for the role, the team, and their power, and I will make the role. If you make your own role-claim and would like me to look at or edit it, you can PM it to me or post it in your QT. Remember that the list of roles above is not comprehensive, and any role might or might not be in the game.

Events:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you join, you get money in the form of dollars ($). Throughout the game, for voting and generally being active, you will gain money at the end of each night phase. Money is used for events which will happen throughout the game. The following events have been revealed...

Market Day: This has happened four times so far (Days 4, 18, 21, 26) and will happen sporadically. Essentially, you can spend your hard-earned money on items for extra powers! What you get is limited by what shops you go to. Generally speaking, the more money you spend, the better your item. In addition, the more money you spend, the greater chance your item will not be sold out by the time you get there.

Bargain Bill's: This happened on Day 7, where you could choose what sort of item you wanted to buy! Otherwise, it worked just like normal Market Day, with some better items.

The Postman: The Post Office is now open! Since PMs and sharing QTs is forbidden, this is the only way of private communication. Each recipient for a message costs $10. That is, if you send to one person, it's $10, to two people, it's $20, and so on. However, if you send a message to everyone, it's half off! If you would like to send an item to someone, that costs $20. Clueless Newcomers may send and receive messages and items, provided they have the money. Note that, as before, messages will be anonymous, so if you want the recipient to know you sent it, sign it with your name.

Postman Bargains: On Day/Night 25, the Postman had a half-off sale! This may happen in the future as well...

Delayed Messages: You may choose to delay a message or item to someone. If you do so, it costs an extra $2 for each full day or night phase that the Postman would be holding onto it. That is, if you want a message to arrive at the start of the next phase, it costs the same as normal, since the Postman doesn't hold onto it for a full phase. If you want a message to arrive at the start of two phases from now, it costs an extra $2. If you want a message to arrive at the start of three phases from now, it costs an extra $4. And so on.

The Mysterious Fog: Starting Day 9, a fog began to roll into town. It has not yet been revealed what this means or what it does... The Peddler's Charms seemed to protect against it, though the fog was gone by the end of Day 12.

The Peddler: Starting Day 10, he entered town. He has an assortment of items each day that do... things. Buy them in-thread through RP, and learn what they do at night! If you want something, buy it before someone else does! He left at the end of Day 16.

Option Auction: A public auction, items are auctioned off to the highest bidder. There may be any number of items up for auction, and the bidding may be public or private. There may or may not be a starting bid. The only auction so far (Day 24) had three hidden items up for a public auction with no starting bids.

More events will be revealed as they happen...

Player List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Living Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ## Player Name
    16 Duck999
    18 Ramsus
    25 Penguinator
    34 Tanar Aerdoth
    35 TFT
    45 Aventine
    47 aspi
    50 EmeraldRose
    51 Internet Flea
    53 BasketOfPuppies
    -- Clueless Newcomers
    48 IamL

Role List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ## Player Name Role? Died?
    01 Duck999 ??? Night 5
    02 Nonayer Recluse, The Loon Day 23
    03 Duck999 ??? Night 10
    04 DarkLightDragon ??? Night 5
    05 EmeraldRose ??? Night 2
    06 banjo1985 ??? Night 4
    07 The Fiery Tower ??? Night 10
    08 Duck999 Watch Day 19
    09 EmeraldRose Gurney Day 21
    10 Yumori123 ??? Night 3
    11 EmeraldRose The Cat, The Loon Day 15
    12 TFT Spy Day 24
    13 Ramsus ??? Night 1
    14 Ramsus ??? Night 20
    15 Nonayer Brock, Sonny Day 4
    16 Duck999
    17 aric_kale Axel Day 13
    18 Ramsus
    19 BasketOfPuppies ??? Night 13
    20 BasketOfPuppies ??? Night 1
    21 Aventine ??? Night 2
    22 Aventine Researcher, Chief Darell Day 8
    23 Tanar Aerdoth Loose Cannon Day 10
    24 Tanar Aerdoth ??? Night 23
    25 Penguinator
    26 Rain Dragon Forensics, Chief Darell Day 26
    27 DarkLightDragon ??? Night 12
    28 Rain Dragon Hank Day 20
    29 IamL Medic Day 25
    30 The Fiery Tower Assassin, The Loon Day 6
    31 Lex-Kat Fledgling Detective Day 12
    32 Lex-Kat The Crow Day 16
    33 Lex-Kat ??? Night 25
    34 Tanar Aerdoth
    35 TFT
    36 aric_kale Neil, Sonny Day 7
    37 aric_kale Detective Day 2
    39 IamL The Chameleon, The Loon Day 17
    40 Logic Good Cop Day 20
    41 BourgeoisJerry The Lamb Day 21
    42 firedaemon33 ??? Night 3
    43 Aventine ??? Night 23
    44 cardrian Illusionist, The Loon Day 27
    45 Aventine
    46 BourgeoisJerry ??? Night 26
    47 aspi
    48 IamL
    49 Penguinator Journalist, Sonny Day 14
    50 EmeraldRose
    51 Internet Flea
    52 Rain Dragon ??? Night 6
    53 BasketOfPuppies
    54 Internet Flea ??? Night 9
    56 Penguinator ??? Night 1
    58 lolthfollower ??? Night 14
    59 banjo1985 ??? Night 11
    60 Legato Endless Innkeeper, Sonny Day 5

Quick Rules Recap from the first narration:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1/4 of living non-Clueless Newcomers is required to lynch someone. Currently 5 votes minimum.
    Dead players can return as a new role after 2 day/night cycles pass. They enter as Clueless Newcomers.
    Players not in this game can enter at any time as Clueless Newcomers.
    Clueless Newcomers may vote to lynch but may not be lynched. Likewise, they cannot be targeted by any powers.
    Post lynch votes in red and remember to cross old ones out.
    If no player gets enough votes for lynch, Executioner decides who is lynched. The same applies for ties and No Lynch.
    In the event of a tie, the Executioner can choose anyone for lynch, not just the people in the tie.
    Role names are revealed on lynch but not on Night Kill. Powers and alignments aren't revealed.
    Everyone has a power role. There are no vanillagers in this game.
    No players are connected. There are no Masons.
    A scry is anything that reveals alignment or power information. Role names are not revealed by scry in this installment.
    Fools are told they are Seers. Any person with a Scry could be a Fool.
    If two players scry the same person, they return a No Scry.
    It is not revealed how many players of each alignment are alive, or even if all alignments are currently in play. You could be in the majority or the minority...
    Remember, Town-aligned players can be recruited to any combination of sides...
    Players get wins for fulfilling personal win conditions, surviving to get a team win, and for every 5 day/night cycles they're alive.
    The player with the most wins wins overall! The players on the winning team also win!
    NO PMs or sharing QTs!
    If you do not vote for 3 days in a row, you are autolynched. If you know that you will be away, tell me. If you want to make night actions in advance, I am fine with that.

You all have money in your QTs, and I've gotten questions about that, so I'll just address it publicly, though it is in the OP. Money will be used for events which have not yet been revealed. It has been revealed that the Postman mechanic of the last game will return, but it is not open yet. You can assume that there will also be events where you can buy items, similar to the Market/Auction of the last game. As the game goes on, you will receive money, generally as a result of activity. This information is under "Events" in the OP.

Narration links for quick reference:

If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification, and I will give it.
    Last edited by Count Dingdong; 2015-02-17 at 10:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Careless Investigation WW

I'll play. Sounds fun, will be fun, if anyone doesn't have fun... I'll make them have fun!!!
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    I'll play. Sounds fun, will be fun, if anyone doesn't have fun... I'll make them have fun!!!
    So, to start off, choose a role number (1-60), and I'll sign you up! Roles have been randomly assigned to each number, so the number is important, even if you don't know what you'll get!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'll play as number 13.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I will join as #13

Also a question about recruitment. You say that a player can take a total of 3 recruitments, but then later say what happens if they get more than 3. Is that only for if they get multiple recruitment attempts on the same night which puts them past 3?

Edit: Ok, nevermind to that, #21
    Last edited by Aventine; 2014-04-30 at 05:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I realized I forgot a number just as I read that post.
    I will go with 1.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Also a question about recruitment. You say that a player can take a total of 3 recruitments, but then later say what happens if they get more than 3. Is that only for if they get multiple recruitment attempts on the same night which puts them past 3?
    As soon as a player has 3 or more recruitments, they are recruited and can no longer receive recruitment requests. However, it's possible to get more than 3 recruitment requests before being recruited. For example, if you're recruited twice and then receive a recruitment from all three teams the next night, you would have 5 recruitment requests. Of course, that is a bit unlikely to happen, but I wanted to note it in case it happened. Generally speaking, once you have at least 3 recruitments, you are recruited to the team(s) which recruited you the most and get a half-win for any other teams which recruited you. Once you have at least 3 recruitments, you can no longer be recruited.

I hope that makes sense?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I started werewolf with careless. It's nice for it to be back. I'll start with 23 again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, All my games just finished so hopefully I have enough time for this one. I'll take #30
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'll join as #42. I could use another game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

redface Re: Careless Investigation WW

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    I'll join as #42. I could use another game.
    The answer to life, the universe, and everything! Why didn't I choose that?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The answer to life, the universe, and everything! Why didn't I choose that?
    Because you, my friend, are not Deep Thought, nor are you I, who has deduced the ultimate question: What number shall I play in a Count Dingdong game.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I'm up for a challenge. Recruitment is not my favorite, but what the heck.

The Lady in Green chooses the number 5.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

This sounds slightly mad, and my level of potential participation in May looks like it's going to be limited, but I cannot pass this up.

You are #6.

I am not a number, I am a free man!

*cue big white balls rolling along the beach and plenty of ham British acting*
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2014-05-01 at 02:44 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'll join with number 15.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hm... I'll give this a go. Role 4, please.
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'll take 56.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

18. - Top - End - #18

37 is a nice number.
    Why are these games so addicting?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

If Duck was the beginning, so shall I be the end.

I take Roll #60.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

If Duck was the beginning, so shall I be the end.

I take Roll #60.
    But how can the Endless end?

2 more people until the 48-hour countdown!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Count Dingdong View Post
    But how can the Endless end?

2 more people until the 48-hour countdown!
    Well you see, one day Morpheus realized-

*Bang* *body slumps over*

Spoiler Police: Nothing to see here folks, move along.

22. - Top - End - #22

Sure, I'll join. I'm down to Typical only, so might as well.

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Sure, I'll join. I'm down to Typical only, so might as well.
    *pssst* Choose a number! Otherwise, you don't have a role!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Can the rest of us all vote on numbers for the puppies? They should each get their own number right? It's only fair...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to sign up as well if I may. I would be interested in number 52.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Count Dingdong View Post
    *pssst* Choose a number! Otherwise, you don't have a role!
    I request 20.3

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    I request 20.3
    While I appreciate humor, it needs to be a number that corresponds to a role. In particular, a single integer from 1-60, inclusive, that hasn't been picked yet (i.e. not 1, 4, 5, 6, 13, 15, 21, 23, 30, 37, 42, 52, 56, 60).

28. - Top - End - #28

Awesome, once Basket joins we'll have our 15.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Then I'll just do 20.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

20 it is! And with that, we have 15! So, in 48 hours, I shall send each of you your QTs, and the game will start soon after. Following that, anyone who signs up will be a Clueless Newcomer and will receive their role one day/night cycle after picking a role number.