New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Huh, no, that was more like a joke that could be summed up by "if get problems with the one last step of his transition, we'll riot, but not in a way that'll bring us more problems, hurr durr".
    ... maybe I should go back to just puns instead of elaborate un-funny humor.
    I grinned. You are funny.
    Also congrats for the boyfriend.

And ugh, the Savile thing is awful. :s
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground

I'm Belgian. Absurd humor is our thing. I'm forever doomed of telling jokes that will leave part of the audience perplexed and confused. Such is my load in life.
    Still, puns are always a hit, but it is a complicated art to master in any language that is not your first one.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Christmas present tips for our women - the symbol for femininity is the alchemical symbol for copper. Would copper bracelets, ear-rings, etc. be acceptable?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-10-23 at 01:45 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Huh, no, that was more like a joke that could be summed up by "if get problems with the one last step of his transition, we'll riot, but not in a way that'll bring us more problems, hurr durr".
    ... maybe I should go back to just puns instead of elaborate un-funny humor.
    I thought it was quite funny, you have plenty of great humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Christmas present tips for our women - the symbol for femininity is the alchemical symbol for copper. Would copper bracelets, ear-rings, etc. be acceptable?
    I may be undecided as of yet, but I really want that now. Symbolism in the material of accessories is a great idea. ^_^

Is the Mars symbol also an alchemical symbol for a metal? I am not sure what would represent other genders, but mixing the two should help with some of them. :3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I thought it was quite funny, you have plenty of great humour.

I may be undecided as of yet, but I really want that now. Symbolism in the material of accessories is a great idea. ^_^

Is the Mars symbol also an alchemical symbol for a metal? I am not sure what would represent other genders, but mixing the two should help with some of them. :3
    It's probably iron. I'd be willing to bet that it's iron.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Iron for the God of war.

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
    Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade."

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
    And copper probably because there were famous copper mines at Cyprus*, where Aphrodite stepped out of the foams.

*hence the name

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Only if you know she won't have a reaction to the copper that'll turn her skin green.

And if her complexion will actually work with copper.

Few things more awkward than seeing someone wearing jewelry that clashes with their very skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

I love how the male symbol is literally an erect penis.

― Tim Fargo

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

I'm Belgian. Absurd humor is our thing. I'm forever doomed of telling jokes that will leave part of the audience perplexed and confused. Such is my load in life.
    Still, puns are always a hit, but it is a complicated art to master in any language that is not your first one.
    Hehe, being Belgian as well I know your pain.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1390

I never noticed. Whoa.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Except it was science for a long time.

I'm sorry for the whole overexageration yesterday; I was frustrated and angry for a lot of reasons and overdid it.
    It's okay. I know you were upset. *hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I hope I wasn't being mean about it. I certainly didn't mean to be, and I'm sorry if I seemed it
    No, it's okay. I was just worried that people would start talking past each other, and then people would get hurt. I'm not the most aware or empathetic lass, but when I am I get really freaked out about it.

Astrella: eh, we all have our triggers. The status and use of sex is understandably one of yours. The use, misuse, attacks on and dismissal of science is one of mine. I think we resolved it well enough.
    That makes sense. I apologize in advance then. Enough people take te Science is Right, You Are Wrong approach that I get a little lopsided in my presentation of the counterpoint. Science is a body of knowledge. It can't be right or wrong, really (barring mistakes taken as fact, but that not science since it isn't supported procedurally, right?), but you can't separate what you know and what you do with it. Science is often great knowledge but terrible motive, and that's what I rail against.

Feel free to call me silly names if I go too far overboard.

I actually mostly popped in here to say I just watched an episode of My Transexual Summer. Part of it was a transwoman's job interview which was horribly painful to watch, and a transman wasn't allowed to get chest surgery until he got the bottom surgery. Big big BIG hugs for all the trans people here, because mein gotte the world sucks for you
    ...I mean, I knew that already, but seeing it like that really drives it home. It just left me wanting to hug you all and give you jobs and punch the world in the face for you.
    I have not heard of this show. What network is it?

Go for the gaps in the ozone layer, that's where the weak spots are! Unless its Globey, then to for his huge schnoz.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    ... You know we're a mixed-up little country with a startlingly homogeneous Catholic background, right? We don't have full gay marriage (we have civil partnership), we don't have proper recognition for trans rights, we send people abroad for SRS and abortions and stuff. I mean, as a people, we're fairly tolerant and certainly very friendly, and I think Ireland is a wonderful place to live, but you're not coming to an LGBT+ utopia!
    No, I know. I just wanted an excus to go to Ireland and was really unhappy with a law passing what's sole purpose was to remove rights from American citizens.

I do wonder though. If I were to go through transition here in the states, get all my paperwork in order and move to Ireland, would they even know or care that I was a trans individual I wonder if th lack of trans rights would matter in that situation. Hmm.

I suppose that's some sort of fraud though, shuffling citizenship to get your sex and hence lost in the red tape web.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Oh my dear sweet and fluffy Lord. How can anyone do something like this?
    for 40 YEARS?

This is, this is just so, so wrong!

Now I want to go punch the world in the face!
    Elbow the poles! We new more fresh water.

More seriously though, Gaia has suffered enough. Let's just punch each individual, instead.

BF's case will be going through the legal gears within a month. There's quite good documentation to back it up, and the lawyer submitting it is experienced in the matter of sex changes, so I think it should go fairly seamlessly. If it doesn't, I'm thinking about starting a small revolution using our LGBT+ buddies and setting fire to several things for good measure, mainly immaterial concepts and incense sticks. The incense sticks are so we can relax a bit and avoid getting overboard with the "setting things on fire" schtick. We're having enough legal paperwork already without intentionally adding to it.
    I'll be honest, I thought I had missed some big coming fiasco.

I always liked It being a spear and shield myself...

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless you're referring to those of lions (and other similar species, I think?), don't they generally have fewer pointy bits?

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Troll in the Playground

Hehe, being Belgian as well I know your pain.
    I didn't know that, or I must have missed it somehow!
    At least we've got chocolate, waffles, and chocolates waffles. Among others. Spread the divine word on your bread: Belgian Chocolate is the One True Chocolate. Accept no imitation.

Back on topic. I typed a first draft for the Aphrodite Machine challenge. I'm sure it's fewer than 10k words, and it is going to stay this way. Would anyone be interested in reading it?
    (Preemptive trigger warning behind the spoiler for those who won't mind being, well, spoilered key points, on top of transphobia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    rape, unwilling sex change, emotional abuse. As a bonus, you're also preemptively warned about possibly badly-written characters, but they also happen to be bigots, so it's not as bad. Could one consider that RL bigots are badly-written characters?

Oh, yeah, and as I said earlier, it's not a happy story. I'm not exactly a feel-good writer.)
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

It makes me sad because the BBC thought they could cover it up. And more than a little scared because there may be many cases where they were right. After all, saying that it always gets out is a bit of a Toupée fallacy, isn't it?

*sigh*
    Yes, exactly! Although there does seem to be loads coming out these past few years. I guess if some big one comes out, like the whole Catholic Church one in Ireland, seeing that happen and people actually being believed and the abusers being arrested and stuff, that could be the push someone needs to report their own story.

It is also a wonderful place to visit, you have such pretty buildings and mountains. And everybody said "Thank you"! @w@

Hopefully those things will get better soon. They seem to have here, and we are quite similar in size and background. Hope it will look up just around the corner.
    Thank you! And yes, things are definitely getting better. Hell, we only decriminalised homosexuality in 1993! We've made huge progress since then.

BF's case will be going through the legal gears within a month. There's quite good documentation to back it up, and the lawyer submitting it is experienced in the matter of sex changes, so I think it should go fairly seamlessly. If it doesn't, I'm thinking about starting a small revolution using our LGBT+ buddies and setting fire to several things for good measure, mainly immaterial concepts and incense sticks. The incense sticks are so we can relax a bit and avoid getting overboard with the "setting things on fire" schtick. We're having enough legal paperwork already without intentionally adding to it.
    Heehee! Good luck to him!

Um, depends on the woman?

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    It's probably iron. I'd be willing to bet that it's iron.
    Congratulations!

No, I know. I just wanted an excus to go to Ireland and was really unhappy with a law passing what's sole purpose was to remove rights from American citizens.

I do wonder though. If I were to go through transition here in the states, get all my paperwork in order and move to Ireland, would they even know or care that I was a trans individual I wonder if th lack of trans rights would matter in that situation. Hmm.

I suppose that's some sort of fraud though, shuffling citizenship to get your sex and hence lost in the red tape web.
    No, that's a great idea! If you're legally a ... I'm pretty sure you're a woman, are you legally male? Anyway, either way, provided it does actually work out that way and the new country just recognises your now-legal gender, it'd be awesome!

Article about a transitioning guy and his girlfriend. The story is cute, the person writing it seems a bit OTT about trans people (blew my mind, did you?), but it's good to show this kind of story! What do people think?

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you! And yes, things are definitely getting better. Hell, we only decriminalised homosexuality in 1993! We've made huge progress since then.
    I saw this just a little while ago.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Um, depends on the woman?
    Well, yeah. It was more of a PSA. Would you like some copper for Christmas?

― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #1397

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Unless you're referring to those of lions (and other similar species, I think?), don't they generally have fewer pointy bits?
    Depends. If you're one of those weird hermaphroditic sea slug things (I forgot which kind) with darts for penises, then no, that's pretty normal.
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know that, or I must have missed it somehow!
    At least we've got chocolate, waffles, and chocolates waffles. Among others. Spread the divine word on your bread: Belgian Chocolate is the One True Chocolate. Accept no imitation.
    Lies. Belgian chocolates are the best, I'll grant you, but in terms of the chocolate itself, as a slab or whatever, Swiss is superior.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

So... I was reading through the archives on Natalie's blog, and I ran across this. Does anyone know what the final resolution was?

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Irish people sound so peaceful. >.>

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh yeah, Bianca, by the way, thanks for the hug! *hugs back*

Huh. Maybe I'd fit in there...

Called it~

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Colossus in the Playground

Re. My Transexual Summer (on my phone, quotes too hard): it was showing on SBS, Australia's partially commercial partially government-funded station with a focus on international media and issues and fringe stuff. Or maybe it was the ABC... The show itself was British, though. I assume BBC, especially if it was on the ABC, but I'm not sure.
    It has an interesting mix of people who can pass really well and people who struggle in that regard, people who are only just starting to transission and people who have been 'complete" for decades, some who want the bottom surgery and some who don't and some who already have it (although the only ftm surgery was on a "guest"), some who are open about or even revel in their trans status (one particularly gorgeous woman was openly talking about all the details with random strangers in a pub, and said she'd never want to be magically born-female because she "loves the edge" of being trans), while others are scared even to go out. Just a really interesting mix.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Banned

You could use other astrological symbols (planets, satellites, sun)

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask
    literally
    That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Also it's a spear and shield. Venus (Female) is a mirror and comb.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Iron for the God of war.
    Aww, there are no alloys with primarily iron and copper. u_u

The symbols refer to the deities' attributes (items that represent them), not physical attributes. Probably did intend that image, though, subtlety was rather novel back then. ._.

That is amazing progress, especially compared to Denmark. We decriminalised it in 1933, were the first to allow same-sex unions and then kind of forgot to do much until this year. Ireland is going much faster. ^_^

Article about a transitioning guy and his girlfriend. The story is cute, the person writing it seems a bit OTT about trans people (blew my mind, did you?), but it's good to show this kind of story! What do people think?
    That story is adorable and it is interesting to hear about a relationship from the side of the partner trying to adjust. Thanks. ^_^

What is OTT, by the bee? I do not know. ^_^'

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Lies. Belgian chocolates are the best, I'll grant you, but in terms of the chocolate itself, as a slab or whatever, Swiss is superior.
    We must combine them!

I would be a terrible judge, as I have never had either Swiss or Belgian chocolate and just plain love all kinds of chocolate. Except milk chocolate, I somehow do not like that... Are my taste buds going mad? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Arti3 View Post
    You could use other astrological symbols (planets, satellites, sun)
    But which ones? There are so many fun symbols, but few that relate to gender, except for Mars and Venus... Maybe Neptune? The trident does work for taking a third option, but Neptunium is kind of radioactive. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Banned

But which ones? There are so many fun symbols, but few that relate to gender, except for Mars and Venus... Maybe Neptune? The trident does work for taking a third option, but Neptunium is kind of radioactive. ^_^'
    A selection~:

☿(Journeys)
    ♀ (Serenity)
    ⊕ (Body)
    ♂ (Battles)
    ♃ (Secrets)
    ♄ (Endings)
    ♅ (Mind)
    ♆ (Spirit)

source
    Last edited by Arti3; 2012-10-24 at 12:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    So... I was reading through the archives on Natalie's blog, and I ran across this. Does anyone know what the final resolution was?
    Yes, I'm not sure if I posted it here but it went to higher court and the mother got the custody in the end. So a good ending.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I'm not sure if I posted it here but it went to higher court and the mother got the custody in the end. So a good ending.
    Good to know. And I'm glad it worked out that way. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Banned

Oh bless you for vindicating me. I was afraid for a moment what I learned was wrong, and it actually was suppose to just be an erect phallus.

A selection~:

☿(Journeys)
    ♀ (Serenity)
    ⊕ (Body)
    ♂ (Battles)
    ♃ (Secrets)
    ♄ (Endings)
    ♅ (Mind)
    ♆ (Spirit)

source
    The lak of Pluto makes me sad, but it had a terrible symbol so I guess it's okay.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That's what our biology teacher told us in fifth grade. (well, actually she told us it was sword and shield and mirror and the thingy the mirror stands on, respectively, but generally same thing) She could have told us about the erect penis interpretation too, but maybe that wouldn't have been the best, for fifth-graders, at least.
    Wish is a 0-level spell, which\'s material component is a 100-dollar note given to your DM under the table.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

News from yesterday:

Spoiler
    Show
    First pair of boots - yay!

News from today:

Spoiler
    Show
    My GF and I just split up.
    Princess in the streets.