New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1467
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

Ben's dialogue is rather odd in these strips While it's an excellent echo of Obi-Wan's lines in the film, it just doesn't seem to flow well from the previous dialouge. This could, however, be a setup for a joke on the different style of writing in the OT compared to the PT.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Anyway, I'm a little confused why his name is not Luke but I guess it would be a bit obvious...
    Because his real parents were adventurers. And the Lars...es won't have any of that.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Ben's dialogue is rather odd in these strips While it's an excellent echo of Obi-Wan's lines in the film, it just doesn't seem to flow well from the previous dialouge. This could, however, be a setup for a joke on the different style of writing in the OT compared to the PT.
    Does feel a little odd, doesn't it? I suspect it's intentional; Ben has just returned from his journey of self-discovery and finding himself, complete with long beard and slightly spacey attitude. Or maybe it's just been a while since he gamed and he's trying to get back in-character, I don't know. We'll see.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Remember, the hook that got Luke to go to Alderaan in the first place was the death of Owen and Beru. I have no doubt that something similar will be the plot railroad for Corey/Adam.
    I'll just leave this here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bocmVZXXY8w
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; 2012-05-04 at 08:17 AM.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    I'll just leave this in response http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtRi011FLY
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

I nerdgasmed a little bit at at today's author comments.
    Though I was again reminded how confusing it has to be to be an English speaking chemistry student... Sodium is Na, potassium is K... okay, we Germans got issues with other element, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

But hey, we learned something about nuclear power today!

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, now what to do with this new knowledge...
    Fallout RPG? Tomb of Horrors: Nuclear Meltdown Edition?
    Or we could try to build a huge bomb, threaten all the major countries and hope for a big ransom for not destroying the earth. Or sell the bomb to the highest bidder.
    Each day of internet gives me new ideas to conquer the world.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Ben seems to be very spaced out.

And I admit, I giggled at "Can it!"
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I nerdgasmed a little bit at at today's author comments.
    Though I was again reminded how confusing it has to be to be an English speaking chemistry student... Sodium is Na, potassium is K... okay, we Germans got issues with other element, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

But hey, we learned something about nuclear power today!
    Yeah, you pretty much get used to the element abbreviations not making any sense whatsoever in English, since they mostly come from Latin and English is two or three steps removed from that.

For great fun, ask an American eighth grader to find lead on the periodic table. They'll be at it for hours.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    For great fun, ask an American eighth grader to find lead on the periodic table. They'll be at it for hours.
    That seems... mean. But hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    That seems... mean. But hilarious.
    Well, I don't think lead is easy for anyone... (random claim from a guy who knows like three languages). It's 'Blei' in German... who the hell calls an element/metal plumbum anyway?

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Orc in the Playground

I do. Well, in chemistry class anyway. It's easier to find in the tables if you just call it how the tables call it. So Hg is hydrargyrum, not mercury. Even quicksilver makes more sense than mercury. It looks like silver, it's quick, but what has it to do with mercury? Nothing.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    I do. Well, in chemistry class anyway. It's easier to find in the tables if you just call it how the tables call it. So Hg is hydrargyrum, not mercury. Even quicksilver makes more sense than mercury. It looks like silver, it's quick, but what has it to do with mercury? Nothing.
    Mercury, the god, was known for his speed, I guess? And uh...fluidity?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Colossus in the Playground

I might have been lost in 8th grade, but thats because for me chemistry was, I think, 10th grade. Up till then it was mostly "earth sciences" and stuff like that. General overview of all different fields from biology to molecular bonds, to geology to whatever. Learning the table of elements wasnt really on the table until we started doing chemistry work in the labs. But even now, 18 years after I learned it, I can still find lead on the table, or really, any element in 30 seconds of looking or less.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #1065

RogueGuy

Well, I don't think lead is easy for anyone... (random claim from a guy who knows like three languages)
    The French, maybe? 'Plomb'.

Also, it gets easier to remember in English once you make the etymological link to the word 'plumber'.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ettin in the Playground

Since one was named for the other, that connection is made explicit in every chemistry text I've ever read.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's all the alchemist's fault. In short, mercury is named after Mercury because Mercury got named after Mercury and yo dawg...
    Truth resists simplicity.

18. - Top - End - #1068

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Since one was named for the other, that connection is made explicit in every chemistry text I've ever read.
    Well, yes, hence the word 'etymological'.

I suppose you could do something similar with words like 'auric' and 'aurous', although, realistically speaking, by the time you come across them you've probably already learnt the chemical symbol for gold.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, I don't think lead is easy for anyone... (random claim from a guy who knows like three languages). It's 'Blei' in German... who the hell calls an element/metal plumbum anyway?
    The Romans used it to build pipes.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, that was not one of their brighter long-term decisions.

21. - Top - End - #1071

It was used for their sewage pipes mostly. Hence the word plumber and lead being related
    Edit; Ninjaed
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    Yeah, that was not one of their brighter long-term decisions.
    Actually there were far worse uses of it. Cheating merchants would use lead shavings to make their grain supplies weigh more, thus mixing it in with their food. Dementia was kinda common actually.
    Last edited by Othniel Edden; 2012-05-08 at 01:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

Okay guys, aren't you kind of mixing up cause and effect if you justify calling the element plumbum because your language later decided to use 'plumber' for a job... probably centuries later as well, since I guess plumbing was still not that common in England for a while...
    (Also, damn you French for ruining my argument.)

Well, we really can't blame the people back then for not knowing lead is poisonous... it's so slow acting most of the time. But yeah, I guess it caused quite a few deaths.

Ben's mind manipulation even works in real life! He learned the way of the jedi!

23. - Top - End - #1073

Okay guys, aren't you kind of mixing up cause and effect if you justify calling the element plumbum because your language later decided to use 'plumber' for a job... probably centuries later as well, since I guess plumbing was still not that common in England for a while...
    (Also, damn you French for ruining my argument.)

Well, we really can't blame the people back then for not knowing lead is poisonous... it's so slow acting most of the time. But yeah, I guess it caused quite a few deaths.

Ben's mind manipulation even works in real life! He learned the way of the jedi!
    No - the word plumber describes someone who works with pipes because the ancient Romans made their pipes out of lead, plumbum; the profession is named after the element. You've got the cause and effect reversed.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    No - the word plumber describes someone who works with pipes because the ancient Romans made their pipes out of lead, plumbum; the profession is named after the element. You've got the cause and effect reversed.
    I am aware of that but as I said, the posts before seemed to me like explaining it's fine if the elements name is plumbum since plumbers are called plumbers for the lead pipes they work with. But the element can obviously not be called after plumbers since they are older so they must have another reasoning for the stupid name.
    I mean... you know what I mean?

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I am aware of that but as I said, the posts before seemed to me like explaining it's fine if the elements name is plumbum since plumbers are called plumbers for the lead pipes they work with. But the element can obviously not be called after plumbers since they are older so they must have another reasoning for the stupid name.
    No, we don't know what you mean.

In Latin, lead was called Plumbum. Latin is where the elemental symbol comes from (just like gold=Au, silver=Ag, iron=Fe, etc.) The elemental symbol is Pb because of the Latin name for the metal.

Now, in English, and many other languages, the name of the metal is lead. However, the names of things relating to pipes - plumber, plumbing - derivce from Latin, the same as the elemental symbol. So by knowing some obscure trivia about the origins of words, you can remember that Pb=plumbum=pipes=lead.

At that point, though, it's easier just to memorize two letters.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1076

Since when has easier trumped interesting?

27. - Top - End - #1077

...Latin is older than English. The element is not named after plumbers, plumbers are named after the element, because the element was named first and became associated with pipes before they had an English word to describe 'plumbing', and then 'plumber'.

Remember, English doesn't have any words of its own, it lures older and better languages into dark alleyways, then mugs them and loots their pockets for interesting vocabulary.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Remember, English doesn't have any words of its own, it lures older and better languages into dark alleyways, then mugs them and loots their pockets for interesting vocabulary.
    And proud! Britanniaaaa!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Pixie in the Playground

Others have already explained why you are the one who is backwards. What I would like to know is where this idea that "plumbum" is a stupid name came from. Does it sound funny? Perhaps it makes you giggle to hear "bum" in a serious scientific term? Is it the repetition "um...um" that gives it a comical aspect? It could be the "p"; I've heard that letter is undignified. I guess "plumb" looks sort of like "dumb".

The real reason you think it's stupid is that you think the alternative is that you are stupid for not getting it. As you can see, the reason is just that it's an obscure term with two millenia of history, so it's not a matter of being smart on either side.

Am I overreacting? Probably; I'm an elitist. But this tactic of yours is usually reserved for children.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Firbolg in the Playground

What about the profession named after the current English appellation of the element? Leader?!

Which explains why english-speaking head of states always drag you down and become toxic over time...