Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Inn at Candlekeep has one I believe.
    I guess I didn't look very hard...
    ~ZA

2. - Top - End - #932
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Anyone have a handy chart on what levels that cap gives?

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

This isn't bad.
    ~ZA

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, looks like my edits to the Defensive Spin files didn't work. I'm level 5 and it gives me -4 to AC. This is really bizzare. I guess they wrote the ability with Shadows of Amn in mind, and a bard starts it at level 9 anyway.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-12-10 at 04:46 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #935

So it looks like all classes will cap out at Level 8, except for Thieves and Druids capping at Level 10?

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So it looks like all classes will cap out at Level 8, except for Thieves and Druids capping at Level 10?
    Wait, so Druids get 5th level spells?

What about dual class: can you go Rogue 8 then Mage 8?

7. - Top - End - #937

Yeah, you could manage Thief 8/Mage 8 with the given cap. I was looking at single-classers.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Welp, looks like my edits to the Defensive Spin files didn't work. I'm level 5 and it gives me -4 to AC. This is really bizzare. I guess they wrote the ability with Shadows of Amn in mind, and a bard starts it at level 9 anyway.
    Probably also why that apparently wasn't really noticed up to now.

Have you reported that to Beamdog in any way? I thought about making a thread on their forum, but I don't have EE and so don't really know if the problem/fix is entirely the same or if there is any added weirdness.

On that note, I don't understand why it wouldn't register the changes you made and simply work exactly as before. I mean, usually, these things either work or fail spectaculary.

Yeah, they get levels really fast over the BG1 XP range (and a bit beyond).

They probably weren't that great in the original BG1, because they had exactly two level 5 spells to actually cast, but with BG2's spells added, they are.

I mean, when I had Faldorn in my BGT party once, she was pretty much my MVP, and it can't have been her stats that made her shine.

EDIT - random Black Pits thoughts:
    600k cap should be good for Sorcerers (because their spell progression catches up to Mages), and not so good for Bards and single-classed Thieves (fall just short of higher backstab modifier or spell level, respectively)

EDIT 2:

Just noticed you're talking about dualing and not going multi-classed here. Keep in mind that a level 8 Thief dualed to Mage won't actually get his Thief abilities back before Mage level 9.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-10 at 07:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #939

Ooh, right. So you'll need to dual out of Thief at Thief 7, so you get your abilities back at Mage 8.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

I'd probably just go multi-classed. Dualing takes forever when you take your first class so high.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Pixie in the Playground

So, excited about getting back into this, but I have a few questions...

Haven't played BG in over a decade and never was that into modding... how difficult is it? I saw people talking about making their own kits and didn't know if this was an integrated feature or a mod.

I was trying to figure out what kind of character I wanted to play, straight/multi/dual but got frustrated. I like the kits, but you can't multiclass with kits. OK, so that leaves dual-classing, but a) I dislike dual-classing and b) that leaves me with only 1 kit and 1 vanilla class. I realized what I want in the end is the ability to multiclass with kits - a desire in which I doubt I am alone.

I understand, flavor-wise and AD&D-wise, why the rules are such as they are in this regard. BUT, subjectively, this directly detracts from my enjoyment of the game, and, if I have the ability to correct this without breaking the game, then I would like to do so.

tl;dr - Is there a way to enable multi-class characters to use kits? (ala berserker/swashbuckler or enchanter/jester)?

Possibly relevant: I am an electrical engineer who has programmed videogames before.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Ooh, right. So you'll need to dual out of Thief at Thief 7, so you get your abilities back at Mage 8.
    Well, I'm talking about Imoen, but same idea I guess.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPoet View Post
    So, excited about getting back into this, but I have a few questions...

Haven't played BG in over a decade and never was that into modding... how difficult is it? I saw people talking about making their own kits and didn't know if this was an integrated feature or a mod.

I was trying to figure out what kind of character I wanted to play, straight/multi/dual but got frustrated. I like the kits, but you can't multiclass with kits. OK, so that leaves dual-classing, but a) I dislike dual-classing and b) that leaves me with only 1 kit and 1 vanilla class. I realized what I want in the end is the ability to multiclass with kits - a desire in which I doubt I am alone.

I understand, flavor-wise and AD&D-wise, why the rules are such as they are in this regard. BUT, subjectively, this directly detracts from my enjoyment of the game, and, if I have the ability to correct this without breaking the game, then I would like to do so.

tl;dr - Is there a way to enable multi-class characters to use kits? (ala berserker/swashbuckler or enchanter/jester)?

Possibly relevant: I am an electrical engineer who has programmed videogames before.
    CharacterEditors can combine one kit with a base class for a multi-class character. So, you can play, say a multi-class swashbuckler/mage, but swashbuckler/beserker is out.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

14. - Top - End - #944
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    CharacterEditors can combine one kit with a base class for a multi-class character. So, you can play, say a multi-class swashbuckler/mage, but swashbuckler/beserker is out.
    That would be very helpful, actually; I was just thinking I'd love to play an Elf swash-mage. Don't suppose you've got a link?

Edit: Oh yeah, I wanted to ask if all of the lower level spells from BG2 were included. I noticed that the first level spells are in, but can you find scrolls for like Phantom Blade and Sunfire (5th levels) later on?
    Last edited by Scarlet-Devil; 2012-12-11 at 01:59 AM.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

15. - Top - End - #945
    Dwarf in the Playground

Playing with Sword Coast Stratagems has made the game noticeably harder now that mages with access to third level spells have started appearing.
    My party is composed of CHARNAME (fighter/mage multiclass, level 4/4), Jaheira, Ajantis, Viconia, Mincs and Imoen (thief 4 / mage 4 dual class).

After the Nashkel mines, harder assassins appear to try to kill you. Nimbul is one, and he is located
    Spoiler
    Show
    in front of the inn in Nashkel.

I have installed the SCS component that allows enemy magic users to instantly buff themselves with spells that a prepared PC party would typically have, and thus Nimbul instantly has Protection from Normal Missiles (which with the mod also blocks +1 arrows), Stoneform, and at least one other spell that protects against spells. He then typically casts confusion and silence on my party, then kites my party. He has access to slow, more confusions, and various other spells that I currently cannot recall.

It seems imperative that I take down his magical defenses as fast as possible, but right now only Viconia has access to dispel magic, and she has only three level three slots. I have one slot for Animate Dead, and the other two for Dispel Magic. It seems that a major problem is that my casters do not have yet have access to spells that protect them from magic, and thus my casters can quickly become incapacitated by Confusion, Hold Person, etc. Another problem that is specific to this fight is that my confused characters sometimes attack townspeople, and thus I have to reload in order to not lose reputation.
    Last edited by Animastryfe; 2012-12-11 at 02:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Probably also why that apparently wasn't really noticed up to now.

Have you reported that to Beamdog in any way? I thought about making a thread on their forum, but I don't have EE and so don't really know if the problem/fix is entirely the same or if there is any added weirdness.

On that note, I don't understand why it wouldn't register the changes you made and simply work exactly as before. I mean, usually, these things either work or fail spectaculary.
    I haven't made any report to Beamdog, but I suppose I will. I have no idea why it doesn't work either. My guess is that the Enchanced Edition doesn't register the changes made.
    Speaking of the Defensive Spin, turns out that the bug that lets you move around freely while using it if you have Free Action - such as from the Spider's Bane sword - is still there.

Yeah, they get levels really fast over the BG1 XP range (and a bit beyond).

They probably weren't that great in the original BG1, because they had exactly two level 5 spells to actually cast, but with BG2's spells added, they are.

I mean, when I had Faldorn in my BGT party once, she was pretty much my MVP, and it can't have been her stats that made her shine.
    I'm actually considering taking Faldorn instead of Branwen along now. I've never taken druids too seriously, but it might be interesting.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-12-11 at 04:57 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually considering taking Faldorn instead of Branwen along now. I've never taken druids too seriously, but it might be interesting.
    I'm playing an Avenger Druid as mainchar right now. It's not half bad.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Does EE have the BG2 experience for learning spells from scrolls?

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPoet View Post
    It isn't that hard. I never did any complex modding, but you can change the game's rules pretty easily.

As Squark said, though, you can just use Shadowkeeper to make a multi-class character with a kit, and can't make a character with two kits at all. It's possible to change a base class to resemble a kit or to just give your character a kit's abilities through Shadowkeeper or console commands, and there's a mod out there that has its own workarounds as far as I know. But the one kit limit is hardcoded.

Well, I'm talking about Imoen, but same idea I guess.
    I'd dual Imoen as soon as possible, honestly. It's not like she'll be much of a backstabber unless you buy every strength potion you can possibly find. 6 Thief levels are probably enough for her, and you might even be able to make do with 5, especially if you give her the dexterity book to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Animastryfe View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing with Sword Coast Stratagems has made the game noticeably harder now that mages with access to third level spells have started appearing.
    My party is composed of CHARNAME (fighter/mage multiclass, level 4/4), Jaheira, Ajantis, Viconia, Mincs and Imoen (thief 4 / mage 4 dual class).

After the Nashkel mines, harder assassins appear to try to kill you. Nimbul is one, and he is located
    Spoiler
    Show
    in front of the inn in Nashkel.

I have installed the SCS component that allows enemy magic users to instantly buff themselves with spells that a prepared PC party would typically have, and thus Nimbul instantly has Protection from Normal Missiles (which with the mod also blocks +1 arrows), Stoneform, and at least one other spell that protects against spells. He then typically casts confusion and silence on my party, then kites my party. He has access to slow, more confusions, and various other spells that I currently cannot recall.

It seems imperative that I take down his magical defenses as fast as possible, but right now only Viconia has access to dispel magic, and she has only three level three slots. I have one slot for Animate Dead, and the other two for Dispel Magic. It seems that a major problem is that my casters do not have yet have access to spells that protect them from magic, and thus my casters can quickly become incapacitated by Confusion, Hold Person, etc. Another problem that is specific to this fight is that my confused characters sometimes attack townspeople, and thus I have to reload in order to not lose reputation.
    I no longer install pre-buffing mages myself pretty much due to this; it can get so tedious. It also seems Nimbul is cheating - assuming his spell protection is Minor Globe of Invulnerability, he is casting way too many level 4 spells. My guess is SCS cheats by not subtracting pre-buffs from his memorized spells.

Anyway, things that might help you:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Forget Dispel Magic to get rid of his protections. It won't work, your guys' aren't at high enough levels for it to dispel things reliably. Having one to cast defensively after getting hit with Slow is good, but usually, I find specific counters better in BG1. Not sure what exactly that would be in this case, since I don't know what all the spells he can cast are and what your guys actually have in their spellbooks, but that's my general advice for SCS.
    • Don't shoot him at all; he's got the Boots of Avoidance plus a relevant Protection spell.
    • Kite him while his spell protection is up. He can't be too high level, so it'll run out at some point. You can use this to get the fight away from the townspeople. If your main character is a gnome, he has saving throw bonuses that make him ideal for that, otherwise I guess Viconia will have to do.
    • If he doesn't have elemental protections up, might try using that to your advantage. If you have Agannazar's Scorcher, remember that you can always target your own guys with it after giving them fire resistance.
    • He's a Mage/Thief, which means horrible Save against Breath Weapons. If you can somehow get a Potion of Firebreath (Carnival, maybe?), that might just one-shot him.

Of course, if it really doesn't work, you can always leave him standing in front of the inn for a few weeks.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-11 at 12:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It has a pittance of experience, about 1% of what it is in BG2.

As for preferred builds I like to start as an unkitted fighter, then dual at the first available chance to thief and use Shadowkeeper to set my kit to Swashbuckler. Yeah, I know it's cheating a bit, but I figure if wizards get to do it, other classes should as well.

As for Imoen, I always Shadowkeeper her into a swashbuckler, so there's a good reason to hold off until level 5.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-12-11 at 08:57 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    As for preferred builds I like to start as an unkitted fighter, then dual at the first available chance to thief and use Shadowkeeper to set my kit to Swashbuckler. Yeah, I know it's cheating a bit, but I figure if wizards get to do it, other classes should as well.
    The purpose is to get percentage Strength, I assume?
    Speaking of Shadowkeeper editions, I'm contemplating switching Ajantis to Inquisitor. Normal Paladins just don't bring that much to the table. It'll require some work though, since he's already level 5.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say that if I were a developer, I'd have gone the route the BG tutorial and BGT people did and reduced the trap, lock, and spell learning XP by 90%, because 1000 xp for learning a 1st level spell really breaks BG1's lower XP rewards.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    That would be very helpful, actually; I was just thinking I'd love to play an Elf swash-mage. Don't suppose you've got a link?
    Can't link from work, but...

Google Sorcerer's Place.
    Select Baldur's Gate 2 from the side menu.
    Go to the Editors tab.
    ShadowKeeper should be at or near the top of the list. That's the one you want.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Hrrmmm... not quite sure where to put this, but, anyway, my laptop is stressed out by any sort of game beyond solitare, so I'm thinking of installing Baldur's gate on my desktop. This issue is that for some reason, my registry entries are messed up for Baldur's gate. Does anyone have any advice for fixing this? I've tried looking for the files in my registry (After setting up a restore point, of course), but the uninstall file (I think I mucked up the process of uninstalling somehow) isn't where it should be, but when I insert the disk, it still thinks the game is installed.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-12-11 at 11:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Is it just the Autorun being stupid (that happens to me all the time) or can you actually not install the game even when you open the CD and manually run the Setup?

26. - Top - End - #956
    Colossus in the Playground

Hrrmmm... not quite sure where to put this, but, anyway, my laptop is stressed out by any sort of game beyond solitare, so I'm thinking of installing Baldur's gate on my desktop. This issue is that for some reason, my registry entries are messed up for Baldur's gate. Does anyone have any advice for fixing this? I've tried looking for the files in my registry (After setting up a restore point, of course), but the uninstall file (I think I mucked up the process of uninstalling somehow) isn't where it should be, but when I insert the disk, it still thinks the game is installed.
    Sounds like you've been dabbling with the Dark Side Virus. (...Okay, it's technically a mod. Called Dark Side of the Sword Coast. I dubbed it the Dark Side Virus after I realized how horrible it is and had to manually delete registry keys to get rid of the thing.)

Unfortunately, my only advice, even if what's happening to you is exactly the same as what happened to me, is to find someone who can tell you exactly what to do while manually deleting registry keys, and be mortally careful.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Haven't tried that, but the program entry is still there as an option to unistall (Although when I went looking for the registry for it, it was curiously absent), so I'm not sure if that's the issue. The uninstall starts, it's just that it stops when it can't find the uninstall entry.

hrrrmmm... I could try sending a copy of the uninstall file that's on my laptop to my desktop.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-12-11 at 12:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

I used Faldorn in (I think) my last Tutu play and I will concur that she gets quite effective as the game goes on. Let's not forget that druids also get the 4th level spell Call Woodland Beings, which gives them a summon that can cast two 5th level spells (Mass Cure and Hold Monster).
    Oh, that reminds me: I need to go and check if the enhanced edition has altered Totemic Druid's spirit animals.
    EDIT: Looks like it has.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2012-12-11 at 01:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have the same problem. It was after I installed BGT that it dun broke for me. I think I had a weapon mastery mod as well, and nothing else.
    ~ZA

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. Does anyone know the easiest way to make Ajantis into an Inquisitor using Shadowkeeper? He's on level 5 right now, and simply giving him the kit in Shadowkeeper doesn't actually give him its abilities.