New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default White Mages (and other FF types) in D&D

I have a friend online who has specifically requested that I run a campaign for her where she plays a white mage like out of Final Fantasy (she didn't specify which version).

On the crunch side, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for classes.
    "Healer" is an obvious possibility due to the low combat high healing abilities, but other than that, anything else?

On the flavor side, I'm debating between using a D&D world (Dragonlance, Ferun, Eberron, Greyhawk, or even one I know called Arcanis), stealing one from one of the Final Fantasy games, or making one up, inspired by the theme (Thus, there would have to be air ships, moogles, and a prominent guy named Cid).

If other people in the group want to continue the theme, any class suggestions for Black Mages, and the like?

She's played Faerun before. If I know her, she'll likely want the game to get... mature... in nature. And she has... exotic... tastes.
    Last edited by Josh the Aspie; 2007-10-22 at 06:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: White Mages (and other FF types) in D&D

White Mage - Healer's probably your best bet. Cloistered Cleric could work in a pinch.

Black Mage - Warmage's probably your best bet. Sorceror could work in a pinch.

Fighter - Fighter's actually a good enough fit. Possibly Knight.

Thief - This one's actually kind of tricky; thieves in the original final fantasy were basically agility-focused fighters over sneak attackers. Still, the rogue class is probably your best bet to grab the flavor and the skills thieves had in other games. Perhaps clap on the elven 'detect secret doors' for a nod to FFV.

Black Belt - This is another tricky one - FF1 Black Belts were glass cannons, not much like the monk class. Picking the D&D monk means you don't have to homebrew, but I really don't think it fits as well... perhaps something to give them added damage at the expense of their AC? (Rage?)

Red Mage - A red mage pretty much is a bard.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There's about a billion final fantasy rule sets people have come up with. But that being said
    The Cloistered Cleric from Arcana Unearthered (and also here) covers white mages rather nicely.
    Wizard covers Black Mage.

Since Final Fantasy itself has it's origins in dungeons and dragons, the classes really shouldn't be that distant.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Really, for the wizard types, you'd be better off designing a default "caster" class, and then building a custom spell list for each of them. Run it with a spell-point system (it's just like MP!) and you'll be most of the way there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well first of all, I'm not just talking about the original final fantasy, but the series as a whole.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The spellcaster generic class can be anything you want it to be. Leave it up to the player what constitutes a white mage or a black mage.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

From what I know of it, the Factotum from Dungeonscape strikes me as a good class for Red Mage; both combat-capable and possessed of decent spellcasting abilities, if he's so inclined.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd actually worry more about the problem of playing a mature game than the spellcasting system now that you have good examples from which to build up. A mature game requires very mature players, and games of seduction and treason, pacts and loyalty are not for everyone. As Paranoia would say: "Be Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually just slapped a modified cleric spell list to the Healer (and if they don't already have 1/2 BAB I slapped that on there; I can't exactly remember at this moment). Healers seemed really underpowered to me, so this works out better to me.

The Spellist I'm using:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall changes: Few direct damage spells, no Inflicts, basically no Evil spells; pick one of Lawful or Chaotic. Debuffs like Bane are a-ok. No summoning spells.

0-
    CMW (Cure Minor Wounds)
    Detect
    -Disease
    -Magic
    -Poison
    Guidance
    Mending
    Purify Food and Drink
    Read Magic
    Resistance
    Virtue

Change: I don't remember. :|

1-
    Animal Friendship
    Alarm
    Attraction
    Bane/Bless
    Bless/Curse Water
    Calm Animals
    CLW (Light Wounds)
    Deathwatch
    Detect Alignment
    Detect Undead
    Doom
    Endure Elements
    Entropic Shield
    Invisibility to Undead
    Obscuring Must
    Protection from Alignment
    Shield of Faith
    Speak with Animals
    Trance
    Weapon Bless

Change: Remove all evil spells.

2-
    Aid
    Align Weapon
    Ancestral Vengence
    Animal Messenger
    Augury
    Bear's CON booster.
    Calm Emotions
    Commune with Lesser Spirit
    Create Spring
    CMW
    Delay Poison
    Eagle's Splendor
    Enthrall
    Ghoul Touch
    Hold Person
    Invisibility to Spirits
    Know Motivation
    Lesser Restoration
    Owl's Wisdom
    Protection from Spirits
    Rebuke
    Remove Paralysis
    Speak with Plants
    Warning

Change: Remove all Evil spells, Remove Bull STR add Bear CON

3-
    Bestow Curse
    Blind/Deaf
    Castigate
    Contagion
    CSW
    Detect Curse
    Dispel Magic
    Invisibility to Enemies
    Levitate
    Locate Object
    Magic Circle against Alignment
    Magic Vestment
    Mental Strength/Weakness
    Posess Animal
    Prayer
    Protection from Elements
    Remove
    -Blind/Deaf
    -Curse
    -Disease
    Substitution

Change: Remove Speak w/dead

4-
    Air Walk
    Chaos Hammer
    CCW
    Discern Lies
    Discern Shapechanger
    Dismissal
    Divination
    Dream Sight
    Fatigue
    Holy Smite
    Lesser Spirit Ally
    Neutralize Poison
    Order's Wrath
    Polymorph Self
    Reanimation
    Reincarnate
    Remove Fatigue
    Restoration
    Snake Barrier
    Spell Immunity
    Sustain
    Unholy Blight

Change: Remove Evil spells,

5-
    Advice
    Atonement
    Blood of Fire
    Break Enchantment
    Circle of Doom
    Commune with Greater Spirit
    Control Winds
    Dispel Alignment
    Disrupting Weapon
    Dream
    Ethereal Jaunt
    Healing Circle
    Nightmare
    Possess
    Raise Dead
    Scrying
    Symbol of Sleep
    True Seeing

6-
    Animate Objects
    Antilife Shell
    Bear's Con spell, Mass
    CMW, Mass
    Eagle's Splendor, Mass
    Etherealness
    Find the Path
    Force Shapechange
    Geas/Quest
    Greater Dispelling
    Harm
    Heal
    Owl's Wisdom, Mass
    Planeshift
    Spirit Ally
    Stoneskin
    Symbol of Persuasion
    Undeath to Death
    Vulnerability
    Wind Walk

Change:

7-
    Blasphemy
    Control Weather
    CSW, Mass
    Dictum
    Greater Restoration
    Holy Word
    Refuge
    Regenerate
    Repulsion
    Resurrection
    Sunbeam
    Symbol of Stunning
    Word of Chaos

Change:

8-
    Antimagic Field
    Cloak of Chaos
    Compel
    CCW, Mass
    Dimensional Lock
    Discern Location
    Earthquake
    Greater Spirit Ally
    Holy Aura
    Mass Heal
    Shield of Law
    Spell Immunity, Greater
    Summon Nature's Ally VIII

9-
    Astral Projection
    Gate
    Miracle
    Soul Bind
    True Resurrection

Warmage with the Eclectic Learning variant's a good idea for the black mage, I'm using the Duskblade as a Red Mage, Bards are the same (with Dancers just being the Harbringer Bard variant), Knights work for, well, the Knights. I actually made a Dragoon class! , and I'm slowly working on making a FF10 setting. I've got a Blitzballer class in the wings (I'm stalled out on the last ability and some scaling of other abilities), and a FF-style monk is also vaguely being worked on. I might scrap it and go more FFT/FF6 style one, but whatever.

For the 'Mature' ideas, there's always the Book of Erotic Fantasy >:V. I actually have it, and where it's not being very silly and somewhat dumb about the, er, the more exotic things and the racial ideals on sex (especially the orcs and stuff) it's not a terrible book. You're not really going to get any better than it, anyway. I hope that's what you meant by Mature. I really hope that's what you meant.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I've determined that I'll go with healer, or a variation there of to represent an order of "White Mages".

Cloistered Cleric strikes me as a bit to focused on knowledge, and not quite enough on healing / positive energy for an order of white mages.

If I was trying to be reminiscent specifically of a game like FFX, where casters eventually learned both types of casting, and could access everything, I might use the generic spell casting class, but the flexibility to pick any spell doesn't lend it to white, black, red, or blue magic very well.

Oh. That reminds me. The spell theif class probably winds up being a good 'blue mage' class, especially if there is a feat, or variant out there that lets you steal supernatural abilities. Any ideas from the crowd?

As for Dragoons, something from the book of 9 swords, with all the jumping and weird maneuvers should fit just fine.

For red mage I'd probably point one of my players at Bard, or maybe at Mystic Theurge if they want to play up the two sides of magic angle. I'm not familiar with Dungeon Scape.

If I manage to gather any players, I won't force them into any of the FF roles. At this point I think I'd wind up making my own campaign world. None of the existing campaign worlds except Eberron fit the feel of Magi-Punk quite right, and that one's more Magical Pulp than Magi-punk, not epic enough, far to bleak.

As for the mature game angle... paraphrased quotes from her already include "Wiggles the white mage ass" and "I want to adventure into a village where healers are rare. Maybe because the orc hord carries them all off."

For her getting carried off by the orc hord would not necessarily be a bad thing, as long as she remained among the living, but 'useful' captives. *sigh*

I have other players who would definitely fit into a game where we actually give serious treatment to villain motivation and they aren't assured of winning, and betrayal is an option that I could count on or convince to join.

I'm still not sure just what she wants to get out of the campaign, but I am not going to run a D&D campaign where someone plays "to loose", or invite other players to it... and there's no way a white mage could really make it on their own.
    Last edited by Josh the Aspie; 2007-10-23 at 04:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    Fighter - Fighter's actually a good enough fit. Possibly Knight.
    Plus you need some kind of prestige class for the ability to wield swordchucks.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12

there is a black mage base class homebrew, made by deshrimp
    Useful for characters similar to Vivi (ff9) or black mage (8-bit theater)

Also: making sword-chucks (as well as other combination weapons)
    Last edited by Drglenn; 2007-10-23 at 07:41 AM.
    Amazing ponytar by Dirtytabs
    Larger Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Josh the Aspie View Post
    The spell theif class probably winds up being a good 'blue mage' class, especially if there is a feat, or variant out there that lets you steal supernatural abilities. Any ideas from the crowd?
    Something like the "Steal Spell Like Ability" class feature they get at level 5? :P

Anyway, I think that Final Fantasy magic works most like Domains or Mantles: either from the domain wizard variant, or obscure splatbook gods, or etc. White Mages get something like Healing and Protection; Black Mages get Fire, Thunder and Ice, Time Mages get Celerity and Trickery, etc, etc.

EDIT: For style points, name each domain after an Esper, and make once per day domain abilities accordingly. Old-School Magicite, yo.

However, it sounds like your friend isn't overly concerned about the mechanics of this game. Maybe you two should just do something freeform- or you could just turn her down if you're not comfortable with that kind of game.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2007-10-23 at 09:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Okay, so she's basically wanting to play with a rape fantasy, is what I'm reading into that. Maybe you should suggest something set in Gor as an alternative possibility.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Yes Fishy.

:P I'm not exactly familiar with Spell Theives okay? I know they exist, they steal magic, and work kind of sort of like rogues in other areas... and that a guy I know has wanted to play one for a while.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, it looks like I've got my second player, who is playing a spell theif, but I'm looking at the possibility of giving him skirmish instead of sneak attack, since he likes skirmish a lot better. We're dropping the AC bonus, and using the skirmish damage from Scout, at the same rate he would have gained sneak attack.

Any implications of this people can think of?

Also, I just read the class and there is no ability to steal supernatural abilities (rather than spell like abilities). Are there any feats out there that would let one do this?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skirmish instead of sneak shouldn't unbalance anything. As for the feat, just make one up. Spellthief level 6 should make a decent prerequisite for the feat. Here's an example of the wording:

A spellthief with this feat can use her steal spell ability to steal supernatural or spell-like abilities. The target of this feat must have hit dice equal to or less than the spellthief's character level.

You might want to drop that last, but I think it helps to prevent cheese (like stealing a great wyrm's breath weapon, for instance).
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I As for Dragoons, something from the book of 9 swords, with all the jumping and weird maneuvers should fit just fine.
    I've got a Dragoon class I homebrewed up just a week or so ago; have you seen it?

I ask mostly because I'd love to see it used and playtested.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

k i just have to say BARD IS NOT RED MAGE red mage was a rapier wielder with light armor and a slowly advanced version of both blasting and healing and don't say sublime chord, also in comparison to black mage / white mage they got the 2 biggest things of there spell lists fire,bliz,lightning and cure / double cast but none of the bigger things like flare,holy,life and such so yeah BARD doesn't = redmage nor does duskblade for that matter.... yeah!!!!!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by raichi View Post
    k i just have to say BARD IS NOT RED MAGE red mage was a rapier wielder with light armor and a slowly advanced version of both blasting and healing and don't say sublime chord, also in comparison to black mage / white mage they got the 2 biggest things of there spell lists fire,bliz,lightning and cure / double cast but none of the bigger things like flare,holy,life and such so yeah BARD doesn't = redmage nor does duskblade for that matter.... yeah!!!!!
    How about chameleon or even Jaerom Darkwind's red mage prestige class? Would that work?
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfFighterGuy

I have a friend online who has specifically requested that I run a campaign for her where she plays a white mage like out of Final Fantasy (she didn't specify which version).
    My first reaction is to recommend a cleric with the Good and Healing domains.

For the Black Mage, I would suggest a blaster sorcerer.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runolfr View Post
    My first reaction is to recommend a cleric with the Good and Healing domains.

For the Black Mage, I would suggest a blaster sorcerer.
    Spontaneous Cloistered Cleric (both variants found in the SRD and/or unearthed arcana) with the domain of Protection and Healing, if you ask me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for all the input guys.

We've currently got a Healer (white mage), a spell theif (blue mage), a bard (red mage), a barbarian, and a psion.

The Psion is an Elan (I know, I know) and the bard is based on the anthropomorphic species from the Monster manual. He's somewhere between the cat and the weasel. I basically used the weasel stats, but evened out the mental stats (all +0), took away the weasel's ability to hold on with a bite, and in it's place gave him a +4 racial bonus to hide, which matches the +4 racial bonus to move silently.

I'm using a variation on the training rules from the DMG. People can start training ahead, and you don't necessarily need a trainer... but working without a trainer doubles the training time (but it does save you some money at least). To "train" a skill you either need to use it extensively (like if you were going to add points to search, disable device, and open lock after going through a kobold warren), or specifically spend time training it.

Further, certain feats are "Regional" in that you need to travel to that region to reliably find a trainer. This will lead to sort of a circuit of the campaign world for the healer to find various temples, the barbarian to find training if he wants exotic techniques, and for the psion to find and study new powers and supernatural abilities. The spell theif will probably need to go someplace in particular to find someone to train them in how to steal supernatural abilities (once I finish fleshing out that feat).

We're starting in a city by the sea, and I've determined that it will be hobgoblins that capture the white mage. They're better at strategy, but have less raw physical power. This will let me play smart and still play them at APL without necessarily killing the party off.

There's going to be 4-5 of them at a time facing the challenge of the hobgoblins.

And I've let them either roll for gold (the local currency is the Gilder), or take a default package.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: White Mages (and other FF types) in D&D

Actually, I'm glad I found this thread because I've been wondering if there are any legitimate classes in D&D resembling the Time Mage from FF?

Nothing homebrew though, thanks, since those are often way too overpowered.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

5 months. Really now. 5 months! Does noone read the rules anymore? Does noone care? Why? Why is our world like this? What is happening to us all?
    *curls up into a huddled ball*
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Wizard. Prepare Slow, Haste and other Batman spells. Also...

Thread Necromancy

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

For Time Mage, what about Chronomancy? Is a chronomancer even available for PCs?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haborimasu View Post
    For Time Mage, what about Chronomancy? Is a chronomancer even available for PCs?
    Check out the time domain for clerics in regards to appropriate spells, alternately look at things like haste and time stop. Given the dramatic effect any manipulation of time and thus the combat system has, these spells are already viewed as extremely powerful.

Also, make a new thread. It's not that much to ask.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

29. - Top - End - #29

For the record, did you make any house rules to the Healer? It's a very, very bad class by its default.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

hang on, does this meas theres no final fantsy d20?, huh, it seems like sutch a natural fit too, they're super popular and have one medium, we have a whole new medium and a bunch of guys who'd homebrew any faults witch can be adapted into "1.5".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.