New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Crack Pairings VI - We've Finally Stooped to Shipping Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
    Coincidentally, I just finished reading The Shining this morning.
    Did you enjoy it? I was reading it at the same time I read Great Expectations for school. All of my dreams were bizarre crossovers.

...And that is how I met your father.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Wait, not everyone can finish all of them in under a day to mitigate the agony?
    Nope.
    *casts detect evil*
    You are currently reading as "super evil." Thats how much evil and horror Twilight is.
    Your local Cleric.

Cleric of the Murphy's Law Thread
    (yes, that is possible)

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

I'm reading it now, as you probably surmised. I've only read it in Swedish translation before, and even if the translation is excellent you lose a little... something. Too bad I don't have the patience to learn Latin, because I would really like to read works like the Aeneid and authors like Livius and Tacitus in original. Ah, well...

Coffee, can you translate this:

Infandum, regina, iubes renouare dolorem,
    Without cheating?

And, oooh. We could be having our first forum couple (that I know of).
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2010-02-01 at 03:50 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Why do I have a picture in my head where that sparkling thing tries to flirt with Miko who does the same and proceeds to smite it...
    Trying to return to some communities from where I've vanished in the last few years. Trying to become more active in general. Social connections are like drugs xD"
    So, I'm in college now! In a city at the other end of the country, five hours by train.
    I can't choose between my Internet Nicknames. Have about 4 of them atm.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    ...Meep!
    Closak.

You're a black Dragon

You have Acid breath.

It's not too hard to know what to do in that situation.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I'm reading it now, as you probably surmised. I've only read it in Swedish translation before, and even if the translation is excellent you lose a little... something. Too bad I don't have the patience to learn Latin, because I would really like to read works like the Aeneid and authors like Livius and Tacitus in original. Ah, well...

Coffee, can you translate this:
    Infandum, regina, iubes renouare dolorem

Without cheating?
    I'm not a Latin expert (because I never followed up on my admittedly excellent distant learning courses to get better), but I believe it translates like:
    "Unspeakable, queen, to order renewed pain"...there's a few ways to translate some of the words, but if I have their endings correctly that should be rightish?
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed

Without improvisation, magic is inherently limited

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

According to my sources it's

"O queen, you command me to renew unspeakable grief,"

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    According to my sources it's

"O queen, you command me to renew unspeakable grief,"
    See, this is why I'm not an expert One of the things I hate about Latin grammar is that it's VERY counterintuitive to a native english speaker. The words themselves and finding the words they modify aren't really difficult, but the word order gets me turned around sometimes.

Clarification: my latin vocabulary is fairly large. My latin syntax blows chunks.

Even better, here's some Latin phrasology I don't need the interwebz to translate, and their direct English translation if read/spoken the way a native English speaker follows the words:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. The internet favorite "I have a catapult" threat.

A catapult have I. Unless the money (all of [it]) of yours you give [to] me, at [the] head [(of) yours] rocks enormous fling will I.

A little practice reading and experience with romantic languages lets you get your brain about the 'endings more important' and get rid of some of the obstacle, but it still seems clumsy or awkward to a brain that only speaks English natively. English sytnax on the sentance makes it:
    Habeo catapultam. Nisi dabis mihi omnem pecuniam, mittam immane saxum ad tuum caput. or 'I have a catapult. Unless you give me all the/your money, I will fling enormous rocks at your head.' Which would be clumsy and awkward to a Latin speker
    Last edited by NemoUtopia; 2010-02-01 at 06:04 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Colossus in the Playground

Wait, what changed the topic to Latin?

Because while we're on the subject...I have some Livy to go and translate right now.

Also, with 702, the inevitable question now becomes:

Would Tia be accepted in Gobbotopia?

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Dwarf in the Playground

That depends on how gobbotopia defines 'goblinoid' and the sway of powerful patrons to portray and validate the image of being a citizen of the nation.

[edit]Oh, and because my brain like to think about things long after I'm done with them: the reason Orcs are defined as 'humanoid' and not 'goblinoid' is because they can interbreed [and have fertile offspring with!] other humanoids. Goblinoids, while sharing many physical definitions of humans, have shorter lifespans, higher fertility rates, and interbreed among each other the way humanoids do [see: half-elf and half-orc]. So as long as the parent is clearly goblin, the other parent almost doesn't matter. Gobbotopia clearly accepts slavery in all the negative forms, and if a certain leader had a love-child of a 'slave species/race', it would likely be treated much like other bastard children...the way the parents chose to treat them. If the parents disown/treat-like-slave the child, the society will do the same. If the parents treat the child lovingly and as their own, there may be some disparaging comments but nothing is likely to come of it.

Yay, sociology! And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming:
    Last edited by NemoUtopia; 2010-02-01 at 08:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Orc in the Playground

Mmmm... Thanks for visiting from the fanservice thread, Ninjamuffin. I love your work.

Your latest funny little oneshot made me laugh as usual, Sereg.

Yay for Water-Smurf's update! My thoughts are:

1. Where are Durkon and Belkar?
    2. Poor Redcloak
    3. Looks like V's rocketing toward a major breakdown
    4. Can't wait for the next chapter!
    5. I use smilies too much

Loved your Haley/Sabine fic, gosh. That's probably one of the best "first shots" I've ever read, so keep it up! Also, is the Elven Affair going to be a multi-chapter fic?

Speaking of best first fics I've ever read, that Miko/Snarl fic was simply amazing, KnightMysterio! Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Crack Pairings thread, and I hope to see a lot from you in the future! I also quite enjoyed Miko/Vaarsuvius.

You're clearly having fun with the roller, icastflare!, and it looks like a lot of good could come of it.

Nice sketch, Eztheria!

I've enjoyed the latest three updates of Miko's Heart as much as the other chapters, NemoUtopia, mostly for their surreal feeling and building conflict. I found the latest of these updates especially engrossing and intriguing.

Heheheh, cute interpretation and banner, Felyndiira.

Hey! Guys! CHECK THIS OUT!!!

MANNA! MANNA FROM THE HEAVENS!!!
    OooOooOoo... *wishes I had Inkscape and/or could hand-draw OotS characters aside from Elan and Mr. Scruffy*

(Everyone: My feedback tends to be short when I come back from doing that "log off and lurk a few days" thing (although I'm trying harder than usual in this post), so if you would like a longer, more detailed, review, feel free to ask! Although there's no guarantee I'll have much more to say...)
    That's what she said.
    Susan Sto Helit avatar by Felyndiira.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyDelusion View Post
    OooOooOoo... *wishes I had Inkscape and/or could hand-draw OotS characters aside from Elan and Mr. Scruffy*
    You can solve both of these.

1) Download inkscape, it's free.

2) Follow Trazoi's OOTS making guide.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Pixie in the Playground

Loved your Haley/Sabine fic, gosh. That's probably one of the best "first shots" I've ever read, so keep it up! Also, is the Elven Affair going to be a multi-chapter fic?[/SIZE])
    Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I thought about the Elven Affair being a multi-chapter fic, but I wasn't sure where to go with it so I decided to just post it as is and see the responses. If I can come up with a second chapter, you'll see one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Halfling Bard/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-11
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-12
    Find yours here,

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    You can solve both of these.

1) Download inkscape, it's free.

2) Follow Trazoi's OOTS making guide.
    Woot! Thanks for the tips. Linky to the guide?

I've enjoyed the latest three updates of Miko's Heart as much as the other chapters, NemoUtopia, mostly for their surreal feeling and building conflict. I found the latest of these updates especially engrossing and intriguing.
    Thank ye! I especially tried to make the IFCC work in a way that was obvious but not overdone, and I'm glad the surreality of that particular section came through. Speaking of which, I was torn about how to do this next bit, which is longer than an extra-long section. As such, I have deemed it to be two sections: one non-crack section necessary to the arc immediately followed by a full crack story. It does, however, clearly time-stamp the arc within parallel OotS continuity, with Part 8 occuring right between the events of the last two panels of #499. As such, I've split up the parts for easier reading, but they're both right here:

Miko's Heart, Part 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have traveled through the day, and the words of the fiends weigh heavily on my soul. I know that I need guidance now, some reference to myself. The Twelve remain silent to my prayers. It is the setting of the sun that things suddenly change; the world seems to swirl around me. Have I been betrayed once more? Are the fiends no better to their words than the others? It seems my fears are unfounded, however, for I find myself above the clouds without having even walked the winds.

There is no one around me, but I recognize this place. I was here before I was raised, alone as now. It seems my mount has not accompanied me. But I am not dead. Why am I here once more, left alone as before? I hope the answer comes as a beautiful winged creature appears, flying swiftly from the horizon. It speaks, and it seems as though the air itself tinkles with beauty, “Miko, Miko, Miko, what are we to do with you?”

I blink in confusion. I do not know this creature, though tales of angels are not unknown to me. I make my demands, “Why are you here? Where are the Twelve if I am in the heavens?”

The creature pulls a board of wood with some documents and leafs through them while speaking again, “I am your case handler, Miko. With so many dead after the battle of Azure City, I was unable to reach you. We were backlogged for days! I gained special permission from all the deities of Good and Law to make an exception and appear to you now.”

There is some sense in the creature’s claim…but why did I not then see all the other dead? “Because of my special purpose?”

The creature sighs, “Yes, Miko, but not the way you mean. The Twelve are keeping me from saying certain things, but they wanted you to know that your atonement is personal. No one else can do it for you. They asked me to relate a familiar proverb to you, ‘The loving parent cannot do their children’s learning.’ I am only permitted to say that they hope speaking to me and another acquaintance will help you.”

I feel the tears in my eyes, unbidden, “Then the Twelve still love me. How could I have doubted it?”

Case Handler smiles warmly, “Because you are mortal, Miko. Doubt leads to greater faith, just as encounters lead to levels…but there is always the danger of death. Now let us review your life.”

I shy away from this forward creature, uncomfortable despite its clear good intentions, “My entire life? Must we?”

I cannot escape the motherly and friendly aspect of this creature, “Yes, Miko, we must. The trouble with your case is that it hangs on the border between Lawful Neutral and Lawful Good. There is no doubt at all to your Lawfulness…you value and live by honor, the legal code of the Sapphire Guard and Azure City, and duty. They drive you forward. The trouble is that so little of your paladin work falls straight into the ‘good’ bin. And that’s ignoring your disturbing time after meeting the Order of the Stick.”

I cannot believe this insolence! “You must be joking, I undertook more than any others among the guard! I smote evil all over the world, defended the city valiantly, did my duty for the good of the people!”

The creature shakes her head sadly, “Yes Miko, you did more preemptive striking than any other. But attacking creatures who tend to be evil without provocation is a neutral act at best. The defense of others is certainly good, and your attitude and attempts to do so are very high marks in your favor. But most of your paladin activity is very strongly Lawful and only weakly Good. You’ve shown far more devotion to the letter of Law than its spirit, Miko, and that screams ‘Neutral’ in these parts.”

I contain my fury, for I now know this creature is not the cause. Striking the messenger is dishonorable! I must…must ask…myself? Who I’m really angry at? I speak slowly, “I…think I understand. That part. But I brought in criminals to see justice fairly! I slew a traitor!”

The creature sighs again, “Do you hear yourself Miko? You brought in prisoners fair trial, but denied that trial to an old man, and very nearly killed one…no, at least two adventurers for the same reason. He was unarmed and being taken into custody, Miko.”

I slash my verbal fury, “I have heard this argument before! How can that traitor not have deserved death! How can he be in paradise?!”

The seraph shakes her head, “Miko, his personal failure to you is a mitigating circumstance, but only to a degree. You passed summary judgment without looking at any other evidence, in ignorance of the laws in Azure City you were sword to uphold. Even if the laws he himself enacted or change counted as illegitimate authority, Soon’s original laws about justice remained largely intact. It was this consideration and Soon’s personal request that has given you this shot at redemption.”

The tears come once more, that kind and powerful Soon believed I deserved this chance. But he himself told me what redemption took. How rare and precious, how fragile and tenuous, how difficult and heartbreaking the road can be. I must….I must accept his words. I mumble in defeat, feeling so very tired, “I understand. Why haven’t you passed my application on then? You don’t seem to believe I belong on the Celestial Mountain.”

Now the seraph’s smile is warm and comforting, “Miko, I am not and cannot be like that. I just needed to help you see yourself truly. You are trying, Miko, so very hard. That itself means more than you can possibly know. I know you don’t agree with Shojo, and I certainly find his methods undeserving, but he also tried as hard as he could to be good, not evil. He has faced his purgatory and pain, and come through to his deserved afterlife.”

I hear all of my knuckles pop with the force of my clenched hands, trembling with fury, “He stole me from my home and left me to rot without a care.”

I feel the seraph’s empathy, “I know, Miko. His mistake is inexcusable. But inexcusable does not mean unforgivable. Any more than your own destruction of the Sapphire is unforgivable. Think of your own laws, Miko. It may not seem so, but he has paid his debt. We are not asking you to forgive him, Miko. Only to understand and move on. Did not your own training teach you the value of not letting one thing consume you?”

I choke past my tears, feeling as lost as that first night away from the monastery, “…yes.”

The seraph cups my face, wiping the tear away in a motherly fashion, “Miko, we know it’s hard. That’s why the rewards are so high, because we know your struggle are so very hard and your toil so very long. For now, though, a certain friend of yours is rushing down the mountain this very moment…”

Miko's Heart, Part 8
    Spoiler
    Show
    I see handsome Roy rushing blindly from the opposite horizon towards some unknown destination, followed by a spinning ball of light. Without conscious thought, he is not running anymore. I am not sitting anymore. The seraph and glowing ball stand like mediators between Roy and myself. It is Roy who speaks first, “I so do not have time for another nuisance, I’m trying to find out why it’s taken so long the Order to get me back to the land of the living. The last thing I need is some crazy bitch on a revenge fantasy because she never grew up. Still not getting any Treasure Type O?”

The ball of light speaks much like the seraph, but I cannot discern a gender, before I can respond from shock, “Uh, Roy? You remember those things we wanted you to cut back on? You’re about to get a sharp lesson in why. And you aren’t on Paradise anymore, so can the lip about the oh-so-woeful distress to your delicate psyche.”

My anger rises, and it takes everything I have to keep my hands from my blades, “I am not some honorless dog for you to kick because of the past! I am not here to be in your way or harm you, I am not even here by my own will! I was about to commend you for your bravery against the lich, to tell you that I was mistaken about your deeds, but it seems you are not worth the time!”

Roy is taken aback and immediately apologetic, “Geez, I’m sorry, alright? I’m trying to get back to the land of the living to stop Xykon for real this time, and our past few encounters haven’t exactly been CR 0. Why the hell wasn’t I briefed on this, Roy’s Archon?”

The little ball of light interjects as Roy rubs his temples, “If you hadn’t been babbling all eigh…nine days down the mountain with your circular worry, you might have made a single Listen check. I don’t have the hands the hands or feet to get your attention, remember?”

Roy groans and my anger calms somewhat. He spoke in haste. We all make mistakes like that, and I suppose…I suppose I am not one to point fingers about making assumptions after all. Roy speaks slowly at first, “Alright. Alright! I really am sorry, Miko. I know you were trying to do what you thought was right, but they briefed me on the Sapphire. We almost had that bony bastard, and I wouldn’t be rushing back to my ignoramus of a father!”

I speak softly, “I know that now, I acted in error. You surely do not deserve the outcome. I am…coming to accept that. I…you…maybe…”

Roy’s eyes sparkle handsomely for a moment as he mumbles under his breath, something I believe I was not meant to fully hear, “Miko…admitting she was wrong? Trying to make up for it? I…never thought…damn, I remember now why I wanted to get along with her.”

The hot blush rises, but I bow my head slightly and hope the shade of my hood hides it. So it is true! That what others see in me is tarnished by my…my what? Immediate aggression? Assumptions? Roy speaks words I am meant to hear that break through my thoughts, “Look, Miko…we got off on a bad foot and sort of made poor dance partners. Ah, crap, these are character development panels, aren’t they? At least no matter how much we blab in those panels, no time seems to pass…alright, Miko, is there anything you want to ask me? Talk to me about?”

The seraph smiles warmly at Roy and the light archon bobs up and down with a vague sense of approval. The words form from my heart, “Why was I so misguided? Why was my upholding the laws not good?”

The seraph frowns now and starts to speak, but Roy interrupts her with an open palm, “Okay, I think I get it now. Look, I know I’m not an expert on law and chaos here, and they almost made a lateral pass with me because of it. But Miko, the goodness comes from the individual. If you act with rationality or purpose, that’s just personal conviction or Lawfulness…that’s not good or evil in itself. The goodness comes from why you make those choices and being honest with yourself about them.”

Coming from Roy, I believe I finally understand why the Gods stripped me of the Paladin’s Mantle. I cannot escape my personal anger with Shojo and its influence on my actions. Or how often mere anger, not righteous anger, guided my blade. I step slowly across the space to him and lean my forehead against his strong chest. Roy seems surprised but pleased, and his arms wrap around my shoulders. I find this…very pleasing. I wrap my arms around him and lean further into him, blushing as I glance to the Seraph and the archon, “Are they trying to make me feel guilty about personal…about intimate…about…”

Roy chuckles strongly, “I’ve already had this particular discussion, and yes they are. That doesn’t mean you should. You really are beautiful when you smile, Miko.”

I avert my eyes for a moment before looking up to him, my strength returning. “Thank you for being understanding. For helping me. Maybe if we meet again…”

I cannot finish my sentence but lean as much as I can into his muscled torso, fingers twirling idly on his back. Roy grins in a way that seems knowing, “Oh, absolutely. You bring the tea and we can talk all we want. Tactics and old fights aren’t the only things about that interest me, you know.”

I smile contentedly and sigh against him, “…but for now you must go? And I think so must I.”

Roy grunts, “I don’t like it either, but you’re right. I think your case handler is at the edge of her leeway by that stern look and I really do need to find out what’s holding up my other friends. I really hate dramatic irony sometimes, it just slays me.”

I giggle a bit as we pull away, finding it hard to let go of Roy and very pleased that he seems to have the same reluctance. The world swirls again as we are no longer touching, and I touch my cheek to keep the warmness of him close a moment longer. Night falls and I am mounted again, as smoothly as though no time had passed at all. Making camp is not difficult this night, and neither is sleep. My dreams are not so troubled.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1245

I have two minutes to type this so any replies I have will have to wait until tomorrow.

Could someone give me an overview of their impressions of Mijung and Yutrin and the relationship dynamic between the two?

Spoiler
    Show

The April Squickies Award for Best Crack Pairing Story

Thank you so much to Kaytara for the avatar! It's of Redcloak's and Vaarsuvius's love child.

16. - Top - End - #1246

Griffon

Thank you to those who liked my fics. Alright, I’ve finally finished that fic that I’ve been working on. So here it is:

Spliced!V x Dark Mistress Shadowgale:

Spoiler
    Show
    Vaarsuvius was really starting to get annoyed. They had left already. Now the only individuals here were the stupid Azurites. At least Vaarsuvius knew that they were headed to Greysky now. However, it may have already been to late to repair all the damage that this situation had caused. “You know,” whispered Ganneron, “my epic teleport allows you to arrive before you left.”
    “Then I shall go to Miss Starshine’s past!” declared Vaarsuvius, “Epic teleport!”

Haley Starshine, or Dark Mistress Shadowgale as she liked to call herself, was in a bad mood. Her stupid father had grounded her and now she had to stay in her room until she was ready to apologise. Like that was going to happen. Suddenly there was a loud noise and a bright flash of pink light. A pale creature with fangs, wild hair and glowing eyes dressed in black had appeared. Was this some kind of dark, powerful vampire necromancer? That would be so cool! “Like, hi,” said Haley, “I’m Dark Mistress Shadowgale and I must say that your outfit is super hot!” Vaarsuvius stared down at the human teenager. “My outfit is not important.” declared Vaarsuvius, “I seek Miss Haley Starshine.” Haley frowned.
    “I don’t go by that name anymore!” she growled. Vaarsuvius stared at this human. This was obviously further back than was intended. Having a caster level this high took some getting used to. Vaarsuvius scrutinized the human further. Haley Starshine had always been attractive, yet seeing her as her younger self in this different outfit whilst knowing whom she would grow up to be, combined with missing her for so long gave Vaarsuvius cravings. “Very well Miss Shadowgale. I am merely glad to meet you.” said Vaarsuvius. “So are you a necromancer or something?” asked Haley.
    “I do have the abilities of a necromancer at the moment,” answered Vaarsuvius, “however, “or something” is probably a better description of me.”
    “Necromancy is totally hot!” said Haley. “Are you going to make me part of your legion of the damned?”
    “No, I am not.” answered Vaarsuvius. Haley’s face fell. “For you are perfect just the way you are and becoming undead would not improve you.” Vaaruvius continued, “Also I will enjoy spending time with you as you are now.” Haley’s face brightened again.
    “Are you saying that you are interested in me?” she asked.
    “Of course,” answered Vaarsuvius, “you are a highly attractive individual.”
    “Then show me that you mean that.” said Haley with a grin, “Kiss me.” Vaarsuvius was glad to oblige.

I’ve been trying to do a Miko x Sangwaan fic to, but my ideas keep getting hindered by that bane of all crack pairers known as logic. It even slowed down this one that I just wrote. Hopefully I’ll come up with a solution.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. The majority of the offenses against Redcloak and Xykon were done by Humans, not Elves, and they have proven more than willing to accept half-humans to their country, as long as they are part-greenskin(half-orc, half-ogre, and Lycanthrope were all on the list). Tia should be fine.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

18. - Top - End - #1248

Quote Originally Posted by Sereg View Post
    I’ve been trying to do a Miko x Sangwaan fic to, but my ideas keep getting hindered by that bane of all crack pairers known as logic. It even slowed down this one that I just wrote. Hopefully I’ll come up with a solution.
    Nice one.

Logic? Logic?

AHAHAHAH!!!

Then take the easy way out and say "Love potion!"

19. - Top - End - #1249

Griffon

Nice one.

Logic? Logic?

AHAHAHAH!!!

Then take the easy way out and say "Love potion!"
    That's not the issue. The issue is when this should take place so that canon events still make some sort of "sense".

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's not the issue. The issue is when this should take place so that canon events still make some sort of "sense".
    What about in a time before they ever heard of the OotS? That's what I did for mine.
    Beware the many wrong things in this spoiler!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Order of the Stick Jr.
    Meet : Alexander, Joan, Ross, Leilandius, Hitomi, Ngoc and Arduvanius

As interpreted (and drawn) by yours truly, Yiuel

Yiuel LeMelvillois
    Only on blank paper do we write the best stories...

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

Before strip 120? Saangwan Scrying? Does the prison allow conjugal visits?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, what changed the topic to Latin?

Because while we're on the subject...I have some Livy to go and translate right now.

She's the daughter of the Supreme Grand Phoobah. Yes, she'd be accepted.

― Tim Fargo

23. - Top - End - #1253

Nice continuation of Miko's Heart NemoUtopia. I have to say I'm a little confused though, is Miko actually dead? I didn't think she was but now I'm not so sure... Still a very enjoyable read.
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NemoUtopia View Post
    Woot! Thanks for the tips. Linky to the guide?
    Here it is. Follow the instructions to the letter. That's how I became as good a comic maker myself.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

25. - Top - End - #1255

Again, I don't have a lot of time to type this, so I'm waiting until my next message to reply/respond to things, but I've gone over this and I figure I might as well post it.

Next chapter for PotG.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mijung reclined on the bed, frowning at the door. She had no way of telling time or figuring how long Yutrin had been gone, but it felt like a while. He may be dead out there. Or lost. Or he could have just run away.

Guilt wriggled in her heart, burying itself and growing doubt. She hadn’t been right to say all those things to him. He had been cowardly and dishonorable, but he had still done the smartest thing. They both were useless without their magic; they wouldn’t have been able to help Kraagor anyway.

Of course, she was still angry. Maybe if Soon had been with them, they would have been okay. Her heart ached for her husband. Kraagor had been her last connection with him.

Water gathered at the back of her eyes, but she refused to acknowledge it. She had to stay strong. Yutrin certainly wouldn’t, and if she really was pregnant, she’d have to hold out for the sake of her husband and her unborn child. She refused to admit to the possibility that she would never see Soon again, let alone the possibility of raising his child without him.

The saddest smile graced her lips. One wouldn’t guess it because of his stern demeanor, but Soon had always wanted children. They had been trying for a while. How cruelly ironic it would be if she actually was pregnant and there was a possibility—Twelve Gods forbid—that he wouldn’t be able to be there through the pregnancy and to hold his newborn before it grew into a toddler.

But Mijung wouldn’t think about that.

She fingered the bandages on her arm, frowning. Well, Yutrin may have been a coward, but at least he was gentle and knew how to tend to the wounded. If they could stand each other long enough and he didn’t abandon her and her unborn child the moment it looked like he would suffer for their presence, he could be very helpful through the pregnancy and birthing process.

She hugged herself, pulling the old but warm covers up, and dozed, keeping her ear out for the sound of a goblin opening the door.

“Mmmm… Wide hips… youth… health… Fauna’s blessing… yes, you’ll do just fine.”

Mijung jerked awake, opening her mouth to scream, but something seemed to contain any sound she could make deep in her throat. Someone almost uncomfortably warm was pressed up against her back, fingering her bare stomach. She tried to swat them away, but her arms stayed still against the covers.

“I hope that Hecate is right about that green man, though. If she is not, I’m sure that Eros or a satyr will take the job. Maybe Robin Goodfellow. Or Dionysus—I’m sure he’ll be fine with it…”

Mijung struggled to breathe, noting with panic that the air was choked with the smell of sex. What was going on?! Who was this person?! Why couldn’t she move?!

The hand rubbing her stomach slipped down and Mijung tried to scream, but her indignant fury was frozen in her throat.

“I’m in a good mood, so I’ll bless your children.” Lips brushed against Mijung’s neck slowly. She wanted to shout that only her husband was allowed to kiss and touch her like this, but her control was gone. The person holding her was in charge. “No one save for the ones they consider family will be able to resist their beauty and charm, regardless of anything else.” She could hear the smirk in the person’s voice and lips pressed against her neck again. “Their appeal will be irresistible, and it will be their greatest weapon when they have nothing left. They will never live a chaste life.” The lips brushed slowly against Mijung’s ear. “Isn’t that a gift?”

The spell holding Mijung in place faded. She immediately squirmed away, standing up sharply, uncaring of her wounded feet, and glared fiercely at the bed.

A radiant blonde woman—easily the most beautiful being Mijung had ever laid eyes on—casually lay down, the covers lying at her hips lazily and her breasts exposed in the light of the fire.

“How dare you?! How DARE you?! Who do you thin you are?! Get out of here and never touch me again!”

The woman scowled darkly, the glow in her skin rippling. “That’s no way to speak to someone who has just blessed your children.”

“You call that a blessing?!” Mijung made a violent warding gesture with her hand. “Leave here! No one may touch me besides my husband!”

There was a long silence.

“Do you know who I am?” the woman asked, voice dangerously soft.

“I do not care! No man or woman may touch me but my husband.” Mijung make a move to hit the woman. “Be gone!”

She narrowed her eyes. “…You will pay for your disrespect, mortal.”

The woman stood up from the bed, armor morphing on her otherwise naked body, blue eyes streaming fire. She turned from a lady of lovemaking to an oddly sexualized woman of war, the scent of blood, sweat, sex, and passion seeping through her pores. “I came to tell you that the gods have decided that you will produce our vassals. The child you carry will be born by decree of Hecate, and within two moons of that birth, you will be pregnant again, regardless of whether you willingly lie with a man or not. This cycle will continue until every living god has a vassal.”

Mijung spat spitefully at the woman. “I will bear only Soon Kim’s children and no one else’s, be they god or man. Once I am back home, then you may have your cycle.”

“You still think that you will see your husband again?!” The light from the fire dimmed and the woman’s eyes glowed furiously, tangible power rearing up in her veins and armor becoming molten on her skin. “Foolish mortal! For your impudence, I will take that which you hold dearest. By the time your child is born, all you will have left of your memory of Soon Kim is the knowledge that you once had a husband in the other world. When that child hits puberty, you won’t have even that.”

Something snapped in the air and the woman glowed gold, and Mijung’s ears popped.

Mijung stiffened, something cracking in her mind. She could see the image of Soon, the feel of his bare chest against her palm, the sound of his scarcely-heard chuckle just next to her ear… fading. It was all not as vibrant as it was a mere moment ago. It had only just started, but she knew what was happening—she was forgetting. The curse was taking effect.

This was a goddess before her.

This was a goddess, and she was stealing all Mijung had left of Soon.

“No! Stop!”

The goddess only glared.

Her hands went to her temples, squeezing them as if she could force the memories to stay inside. “No! Soon! SOON!”

The goddess sneered, voice dropping to a whisper. “If he ever comes to find you, he will only find a woman with a brood of bastards from monsters, fairies, and gods. You will not remember him. He will forsake your unfaithful heart.”

“STOP!” Mijung squeezed her head tighter. “SOON!”

“And you won’t remember to grieve.” The woman walked towards the door. “This and nothing less is the price you pay for offending Aphrodite.”

The goddess disappeared in a shower of gold sparkles. The fire in the hearth went out.

Mijung sat on the bed and started to cry in earnest.

She cried herself to sleep.

---

Yutrin stayed in a tight fetal position, squinting out into the darkness. Hands were stroking his naked body, but he wanted them to stop. He wasn’t sure why, but he wanted them to stop.

“Yes… he would be a good vassal.”

A hand ran down his chest while another stroked his face. “A good donor as well.”

“He has to consent to this, though.”

“Oh, he will.”

Yutrin curled up in a tighter ball.

“He’s awake.”

“Child, would you like to be able to heal again?”

He uncurled without meaning to and a naked body pressed against his, uncomfortably hot. He squirmed, unwilling to make love to this person of darkness, but he didn’t feel her do anything but touch him. “Would you?”

“…” Yutrin struggled with the fog of his mind for a while. “…Yes. Mijung needs it…”

“And she will get hurt eventually. And if you can’t heal her, she’ll die.” The woman kissed his jaw line, brushing her lips against his throat. He squirmed uncomfortably, but he couldn’t feel his hands to push her away. “I can give you your ability to heal, but you must pay a price for it.”

The darkness shifted and the woman stroked his chest. “But you will not know that price until you take the deal. Will you?”

Yutrin shook, trying to see what was happening around him. “Where am I? Who are you?”

“Irrelevant.” He could hear the smile in the woman’s voice. “You can have your ability to heal back, but it comes at a price. Make a decision.”

Yutrin tried to think, squirming, getting a sense that he was in grave danger. His instinct was to run and hide. But there was nowhere to hide, and he couldn’t run. He was trapped. His nightmare.

His breath came in quick gasps and he started squirming desperately.

The woman simply chuckled softly, rubbing his sides and kissing his throat. “You have growth to undertake, Child.”

“Life has inhibited it,” a young child-like voice said right next to his ear, making him jump, “but it will have to come in this world.”

“Will you take the deal or not?”

Yutrin trembled like a newborn cast out into the cold. Realization was dawning. These people, whoever was touching him, were not mortals.

He was in the presence of a goddess.

Yutrin let out a fearful squeak, trying to curl up but unable to.

“Mmm. You’re not ready to make the choice.”

Yutrin felt something cold wrap around his neck and he had to force himself to stop panicking. He couldn’t run away. He couldn’t run away.

“There will come a time to make a decision. You have a locket. When you or someone you care for is mortally wounded, if you want the ability to heal them, open it. You will pay a price, but whosoever needs healing then and afterwards will have it.” Breath brushed against his ear. “But once you make the deal, you can never go back.”

Lips, so hot and cold that they burned, pressed against his forehead. “I am patient. I can wait.”

The darkness receded.

---

“Poor, poor child.”

Mijung didn’t want to wake up. She wanted to sleep forever until her husband came. She wanted to be in his arms. She wanted the color to come back to her memories. Already, she couldn’t quite place his scent. Was it woody? Incense? Sweat? She couldn’t really remember.

“The gods are cruel, I know, but I take pity on you.”

A gentle hand rested on her face, and she felt the despair lift. She sobbed softly, cracking her eyes open to see who had visited her this time. She wanted to be alone.

A man with short black hair, achingly kind blue eyes, and a white suit sat beside her, a red stain at his abdomen and broken shackles clinging to his wrists. His hand was on her hair, and his face bespoke compassion and genuine caring of the likes Mijung had never seen before. She was reminded of going to her father after a nightmare as a child.

She resisted the urge to put her head in his lap and cry as she did with her Daddy.

“I cannot undo Aphrodite’s curse, my child, but I can provide a way to fix the damage.”

Mijung sat up slowly, daring to hope.

“I must warn you that it comes at a price.”

The woman was trembling with grief, hugging herself and eyes getting wide. “What price?”

“You will not know until the time comes.” The man—no, not human, but deity—shifted, eyes sad, but loving. “I will give you something that used to be a little box, but has been changed since then. This box was given to someone I cared very much about, and after she opened it, it was turned into two lockets. If you wear the locket I give you, your memories will flow into it, rather then go out into the world. The day you forget everything save for the fact you have a husband is the day you can open it and safely keep all your memory without fear of it fading. Open it before then, and your memories will be lost forever, but open it afterwards, and you will keep them despite what rages you put the gods in.” He gently smoothed Mijung’s hair back. “But you will have to pay a terrible price, my dear, and the child you bear may have to pay it as well.”

The color drained from Mijung’s face. “No… my child wouldn’t have to…!”

The man’s face was strained with pain, and he slowly took a locket, a half of a broken heart with carved designs on it, out of his breast pocket, lovingly putting it around Mijung’s neck. “It is your choice. I am sorry, my child.”

He was gone. The hearth was out. Mijung was alone.

She was damned to lose her memories, and the possible consequences of getting them back were too much to ever risk.

She buried her face in her hands and started to cry quietly.

The door creaked open.

“Mijung?”

There was a soft shuffle, and someone sat beside her on the bed. “Mijung…?”

Mijung looked up, ready to either start crying with complete abandon or start beating up whoever was there if it turned out to be another god.

She made a vague motion to wipe her eyes, to preserve her dignity, but she just couldn’t get herself to care.

It was a familiar green goblin. His chest was bare, sweat streaking it and making the hair stick to the skin, and a locket, the other piece of the broken heart that Mijung wore, hung at his neck. She didn’t care to ask questions. She was too tired for questions. Too tired for anger. Too tired for anything but despair.

She really wasn’t going home.

And she really was losing the last she had of her husband.

Despite his half-naked state and the fact she was supposed to be hating him, Mijung wrapped her arms around Yutrin’s neck and buried her face there, starting to cry in earnest.

Yutrin stiffened a little, then slowly slipped his arms around her comfortingly, rubbing her back and resting his face in her hair.

She could feel his heart pounding against her breast. He was absolutely terrified.

He was still holding her. He was scared of her, but he was still holding her.

She kept crying for who-knew how long, and after that, she just clung to him.

After a while, she slowly let him go and lay back on the bed, drained and unwilling to worry about food or water or clothes. Yutrin started to crawl off the bed, presumably to sleep on the floor, but Mijung just grabbed his wrist.

He looked down at her hand hesitantly, then tugged. She didn’t loosen her grip.

He tentatively crawled up besides her, slipping under the covers and lying down. They didn’t touch each other, but they both dozed and eventually fell asleep.

The hearth started to crackle to life again.

From then on, neither one slept on the floor. No matter what argument they got into or how angry or frightened one was of the other, they never spent the night apart from one another.

Thoughts?

Edit: Thank you to Zanaril for tidying up the last line. :>
    Last edited by Water-Smurf; 2010-02-06 at 04:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

The April Squickies Award for Best Crack Pairing Story

Thank you so much to Kaytara for the avatar! It's of Redcloak's and Vaarsuvius's love child.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taekwondodo View Post
    Nice continuation of Miko's Heart NemoUtopia. I have to say I'm a little confused though, is Miko actually dead? I didn't think she was but now I'm not so sure... Still a very enjoyable read.
    The intent is very much alive.

Miko's early visit with Shojo was a dream-state and would be like the Twelve guiding an Astral Projection to him. The current state of meeting her case handler and Roy is meant to be a second 'rules-bending' to allow a still-living being temporary existence in the 'between' state. This hinges on the supposition that Miko indeed was caught there in limbo after the battle and returned to life before her case could be handled. So as a part of her learning, particularly in light [or I suppose dark] of the visit by the IFCC, the Twelve said 'well, okay, now she needs some balancing, Good intervention'.

And smurfy, that's a great installment! Glad to see you're dedicated to being back and kicking!
    Last edited by NemoUtopia; 2010-02-02 at 12:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Smurf View Post
    But how would he keep control of Vaarsuvius? Presumably the same way he controls Redcloak, but V is much more rash and more likely to blast her way out. Xykon's an epic-level sorcerer and should be able to control her fine, yeah, but not if she has the support of the next-highest level'd person in the tower and not if he's trying to keep her alive.
    Control V, or just imprison her? The former's seems unlikely to happen; no matter what was threatened, V would still eventually convince herself that she was capable of solving things with firepower. However I don't see it being too hard to stop her escaping, especially if it was by magical methods. As for preventing her causing trouble, there's little she can do without a spellbook and components (although I suppose Reddy could help there, but would he risk it knowing the consequences if he's found out?).

But there's also the factor that unlike Reddy, Xykon doesn't need V's co-operation. Reddy needs to be cowed into being trustworthy - V can just be meteor-swarmed into negative hitpoints a few times if she gets too uppity.

And of course, Xykon could always put the responsibility of keeping V under control into Reddy's hands. Have Redcloak explain what will happen to their little girl if V misbehaves.

Hmmm... *idea pops up*
    *hides under desk*

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Smurf View Post
    Thoughts?
    They're not very polite are they, deities? Not too mention too touchy-feely. And they really seem determined to screw over any mortals they come across. I do wonder what they're planning... to leave the Snarl'd world, maybe?

Poor Mijung. Quite apart from the prospect of the forced pregnancies (and how many gods are there??!) two months between is pretty short. I also wonder how they'll get around needing the amulet thing; they can't keep breaking it into pieces indefinitely.

Aphrodite is a real bitch.

The ending of that chapter made me go D'awww.

(Although that last bit, "neither slept on the floor apart from one another." sounds slightly awkward. )

And, I've got some new Fanficfanart. Reddy/V Crim/Elf

Spoiler
    Show
    CC?
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-02-02 at 03:05 PM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

28. - Top - End - #1258

Zanaril: Awwwwwww... I like how V's blushing, so cute!
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taekwondodo View Post
    Zanaril: Awwwwwww... I like how V's blushing, so cute!
    So's Crim, if you look closely...

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Did you enjoy it? I was reading it at the same time I read Great Expectations for school. All of my dreams were bizarre crossovers.
    I did. I put off reading it for quite a while, probably because I saw the film a few years ago (and I still remember the film pretty pretty good, especially for a film-of-the-book).

And crossovers with Great Expectations? Scarily plausable; you've got the child protagonist, the abusive parent, the creepy adults...

Spliced!V x Dark Mistress Shadowgale
    See? Evil V is hot! An angsty teenager thinks so, so it must be true!
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-02-02 at 03:52 PM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

30. - Top - End - #1260

Geehee! Nice work, everyone!

Water-Smurf: You know, I've always wondered why the Greeks and Romans worshiped jerks. Nice update. I suppose this is how the pairing will take place?