New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Banned

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Maybe that's a hint you should get the feat without meeting prerequisites
    If there are ways of doing such a thing, I would generally be more interested in banning those ways than using them. With the exception of enforced flavor like alignment preqs, I tend to assume that they're there for a reason and should not be bypassed (abilities like Primary Contact bug me for much this reason; they break an otherwise unbreakable rule that was probably better not broken, or at least broken for everyone instead of just those that spend a feat to break it).

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dairuga View Post
    Erm.. Not to poke any holes in anything. But really?

Here, from the D&D glossary from Wizard of the Coast.

I am pretty sure that means this is RAW? Or will it have to be printed in the Players handbook or such to be considered RAW?

Furthermore:

I would say it is very, very possible to die in a desert due to heat, by the looks of it.
    You're right about the heat damage . Starvation still doesn't look lethal under any circumstances, though.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

3. - Top - End - #843
    Banned

The shipping company (Power of Faerun) and Criminal company (DMG2) are both high resource, high capital, and high risk businesses, and all businesses use the same random encounter table and rules.

Therefore all that matters when whether you should ship drugs or food is which is higher charisma or wisdom (Assume equal optimzation) (criminal uses intimidate, shipping uses profession).

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

And both have a chance of spontaneously combusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    And both have a chance of spontaneously combusting.
    Even liquids and fire-retardants? Could my shipment of fire extinguishers in fireproof boxes spontaneously combust?
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #846

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Even liquids and fire-retardants? Could my shipment of fire extinguishers in fireproof boxes spontaneously combust?
    Everything burns. If something doesn't burn, it just needs more fire.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

There are no fire extinguishers or fireproof boxes.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Both meaning both companies, or more specifically the buildings thereof. I believe the relevant table was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #849

ElfWarriorGuy

I recall a few pages back someone saying heat, starvation, and thirst won't kill you. Heat has already been disproven, so here's page 15 of sandstorm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dehydrated: Characters who have taken nonlethal
    damage from lack of water are considered dehydrated and
    become fatigued. In addition, if a dehydrated character
    would take nonlethal damage from hot conditions
    (such
    as those described in this book or on page 303 of the
    Dungeon Master’s Guide), that damage instead becomes
    lethal damage.

A character who falls unconscious from nonlethal
    damage due to thirst begins to take the same amount of
    lethal damage instead.
    Damage from thirst, whether lethal
    or nonlethal, cannot be recovered until the character has
    been treated (see below); not even magic that restores hit
    points heals this damage.

Sections bolded for ease of access.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

The second part was removed in the Rules Compendium, and since that is supposed to take precedence, thirst by itself will not kill you.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    The second part was removed in the Rules Compendium, and since that is supposed to take precedence, thirst by itself will not kill you.
    WoTC may have intended that to be the case, but WoTC itself sets the Rules Compendium pretty low on the totem pole. Specifically, see the official Errata published on the web. The Rules Compendium does not override the WoTC errata published, due to the phrase(s):

Quote Originally Posted by WoTC Errata
    When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the DUNGEON MASTER's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The DUNGEON MASTER's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.
    As the Rules Compendium is not a primary source for any rules, it has lower precedence than other published sources.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    WoTC may have intended that to be the case, but WoTC itself sets the Rules Compendium pretty low on the totem pole. Specifically, see the official Errata published on the web. The Rules Compendium does not override the WoTC errata published, due to the phrase(s):

As the Rules Compendium is not a primary source for any rules, it has lower precedence than other published sources.
    No, it may have lower precedence than the errata, but it is mentioned inside it that
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium pg. 5
    When a preexisting core book or supplement differs with the rules herein, Rules Compendium is meant to take precedence.
    It may not override web errata, but Sandstorm isn't one ;P

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    No, it may have lower precedence than the errata, but it is mentioned inside it that

It may not override web errata, but Sandstorm isn't one ;P
    Kinda.

According to the Primary Source rule found in pretty much all of the errata files, The PHB, DMG, and MM take priority over the rules compendium.

According to the Rules Compendium, the Rules Compendium takes priority over the PHB, DMG, and MM.

I don't touch the Rules Compendium out of spite for what it seems to be to me.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #854

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Kinda.

According to the Primary Source rule found in pretty much all of the errata files, The PHB, DMG, and MM take priority over the rules compendium.

According to the Rules Compendium, the Rules Compendium takes priority over the PHB, DMG, and MM.

I don't touch the Rules Compendium out of spite for what it seems to be to me.
    This contradiction will be settled rather decisively when the 3.5 reprints hit the shelves and we find out which version of the rules got kept.

Personally though I'd think a book called the Rules Compendium would trump any source printed prior to it, since the entire stated purpose of said book was to clarify previous rule sets.

15. - Top - End - #855

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    This contradiction will be settled rather decisively when the 3.5 reprints hit the shelves and we find out which version of the rules got kept.

Personally though I'd think a book called the Rules Compendium would trump any source printed prior to it, since the entire stated purpose of said book was to clarify previous rule sets.
    Are they actually planning to reprint 3.5? I would never expect that to happen.

Personally, I think that the rulebooks are more like guidelinebooks, because I don't really respect WotC as competent rulemakers.
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Banned

Are they actually planning to reprint 3.5? I would never expect that to happen.
    It says "On Sale September 18th" (making me suddenly rather glad I got outbid on a 3.5 DMG on Ebay the other day). It also says they're going to contain "the latest" errata, making me wonder if that just means everything that they published over the life of 3.5 or if they've actually been working on it while 4E was going. What I'm really worred about though is what exactly "premium" means in this context. I'd like to buy them, but not if they come in a leather-bound slipcase for $100+....

17. - Top - End - #857

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    It says "On Sale September 18th" (making me suddenly rather glad I got outbid on a 3.5 DMG on Ebay the other day). It also says they're going to contain "the latest" errata, making me wonder if that just means everything that they published over the life of 3.5 or if they've actually been working on it while 4E was going. What I'm really worred about though is what exactly "premium" means in this context. I'd like to buy them, but not if they come in a leather-bound slipcase for $100+....
    I'm not sure my self, but I think it may just mean they've been updated with erratta rather than just a straight re-print of the original books.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

I tried taking the survey.
    Seems it doesn't work under FireFox, Opera or IE.
    This would seem to be an appropriate thread to mention this in.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #859
    Dwarf in the Playground

As per all the rules I could find about stealth and the FAQs I've read, you can make a full attack while hiding, you just have to roll a stealth check after each attack at -20.

The rules for sniping also give you -20, but they only let you attack once per round. So apparently striking from the shadows is easier in melee than it is at range.
    Last edited by LordotheMorning; 2012-08-19 at 05:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #860

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordotheMorning View Post
    As per all the rules I could find about stealth and the FAQs I've read, you can make a full attack while hiding, you just have to roll a stealth check after each attack at -20.

The rules for sniping also give you -20, but they only let you attack once per round. So apparently striking from the shadows is easier in melee than it is at range.
    IIRC, that's a cumulative -20, which the designers probably felt was penalty enough to prevent success after one, maybe two attacks. The validity of the designers' feelings on the matter is another topic.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #861
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Didn't work for me either; I'm guessing that it's been up for a while and the survey is already over.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Huh. Well, I have to decide whether or not to buy those, then.

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Which survey? The one for the first playtest packet? I don't think I got any emails about this second playtest packet.
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #863

MonkGuy

Which survey? The one for the first playtest packet? I don't think I got any emails about this second playtest packet.
    They are reprinting the 3 core books plus unspecified others based on player feedback, the survey was to gauge which books would sell best, and thus be worth reprinting.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

They are reprinting the 3 core books plus unspecified others based on player feedback, the survey was to gauge which books would sell best, and thus be worth reprinting.
    Yes there was a Survey button on the link willpell supplied.

You'd think that they would just look at the prices on ebay ?
    This should mean
    Spell Compendium - definite reprint
    Miniatures Handbook - not likely
    etc.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #865
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hope they'll reprint Tome of Battle with all of the Errata that never got released.
    Currently running the Heroes of Circumstance campaign!

In Character

Out of Character

Credit for my awesome avatar goes to the amazing Ceika.

26. - Top - End - #866

OHH. For some reason I thought I was in the 5e playtest thread. Maybe because both email notifications came at the same time. Okay. Confusion dispelled.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VGLordR2 View Post
    I hope they'll reprint Tome of Battle with all of the Errata that never got released.
    I hope they reprint the tome of magic. that sold fairly well. maybe they could fix truenamer, or at least remember to put in the DCs for all its abilities.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

28. - Top - End - #868
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I hope they reprint the tome of magic. that sold fairly well. maybe they could fix truenamer, or at least remember to put in the DCs for all its abilities.
    That was one of the best 3.5 books in terms of flavor. It's really too bad that the Shadowcaster and the Truenamer aren't a bit better.
    Currently running the Heroes of Circumstance campaign!

In Character

Out of Character

Credit for my awesome avatar goes to the amazing Ceika.

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I hope they scrap the Tome of Magic, rewrite it, and make it work. The concept and flavour were fine, but the mechanics were rubbish.
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VGLordR2 View Post
    Or maybe just, like, print the errata, instead of some random mash-up.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook