New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    Like... reality is just an illusion, and my hat is just an illusion, ergo controlling my hat controls reality?

Fedora Solipsists with a dash of Buddhism?
    Yes. Exactly that. The hat rules the illusion, so mastering the hat gives you control over the illusion.

Teaser post for my class is up. Not much time to work on it RIGHT NOW, but will do so MOAR later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Good choice of item, Gareth. Good choice.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #753

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Yes. Exactly that. The hat rules the illusion, so mastering the hat gives you control over the illusion.
    While interesting, I think there are better items for this concept. Maybe some sort of cursed "Mask of False Sight" or something.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

What was the ruling on alchemical items? Such as, say, Universal Solvent?

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    What was the ruling on alchemical items? Such as, say, Universal Solvent?
    Universal Solvent isn't alchemical, its magical (Wondrous Item) but its a one use item. Just stay away from one use items, because they're not going to have the longevity. Now if you made yourself a brand new magic item that was like some sort of alchemical item producer as the centerpiece of the class, that's different. But generally, one use items like anti-glue isn't in keeping with an item of power. Anything that is wholly consumed by using it isn't fitting with the contest.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it have to be a single magic item, or can the class be focused on a "type" of magic items (as in, "lord of the rings", except I am not aiming for rings.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Universal Solvent isn't alchemical, its magical (Wondrous Item) but its a one use item. Just stay away from one use items, because they're not going to have the longevity. Now if you made yourself a brand new magic item that was like some sort of alchemical item producer as the centerpiece of the class, that's different. But generally, one use items like anti-glue isn't in keeping with an item of power. Anything that is wholly consumed by using it isn't fitting with the contest.

-X
    So a class based around the production and enhancement of one-use items would not be kosher, unless said production/enhancement came from a different item that did the producing/enhancing?

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Does it have to be a single magic item, or can the class be focused on a "type" of magic items (as in, "lord of the rings", except I am not aiming for rings.)
    Single item, the item has to be central to the class. A master of the rod of lordly might would work, but not a class based around using a plethora of rods.

So a class based around the production and enhancement of one-use items would not be kosher, unless said production/enhancement came from a different item that did the producing/enhancing?
    Correct. One item and one item only.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Well...there goes one concept out the window...

Fixing one magic item is hard...most of them do nothing more then mimicking spells, and the unique ones are usually too bizarre to base a class around, or too simple to properly expend upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

10. - Top - End - #760

Fixing one magic item is hard...most of them do nothing more then mimicking spells, and the unique ones are usually too bizarre to base a class around, or too simple to properly expend upon.
    The biggest obstacle I've seen is finding a magic item that is both useful and interesting without being prohibitively expensive. Something like the Helm of Brilliance (which I believe Glimbur is working with) is hundreds of thousands of gil.

This contest provides some interesting balance challenges from the get-go. I'm enjoying the mental exercise.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

The biggest obstacle I've seen is finding a magic item that is both useful and interesting without being prohibitively expensive. Something like the Helm of Brilliance (which I believe Glimbur is working with) is hundreds of thousands of gil.

This contest provides some interesting balance challenges from the get-go. I'm enjoying the mental exercise.
    You could always just invent your own brand new magic item to base a class on? That's totally okay and encouraged as well. As always, I've also placed suggestions that people can feel free to make a class based on.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

12. - Top - End - #762

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    You could always just invent your own brand new magic item to base a class on? That's totally okay and encouraged as well. As always, I've also placed suggestions that people can feel free to make a class based on.

-X
    Part of my goal for these contests has been to homebrew as little as possible. Not out of laziness, but out of a general design philosophy aimed toward universality. My starting point is making my homebrew as accessible to as many people as possible, and part of that is designing things such that as little as possible needs to be accepted by a theoretical DM. As much as I love ToB, I'm reluctant to submit homebrew classes with homebrew disciplines because that's a lot for a potential DM to sift through and accept.

Now, I've started the design process on a class that will make use of a homebrew item for this contest, because I will stray from said philosophy when inspiration calls for it, but I figured I'd at least explain my initial reluctance to jump out of the core items.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #763

My entry is up, I just have to finish the NPC build.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

14. - Top - End - #764

Opening fluff up, having some difficulty making some mechanical decisions about my PrC. We'll see how it goes.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #765

And now for the ever-popular, "Guess what Gareth's class does based on the ability names!" game!

My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #766
    Pixie in the Playground

quick question what do all of you think about a detective pcr based of the lens of detection. im shooting for Sherlock Holmes.
    Slet " Always the opportunist, Devlin."
    Devlin " As long as there are still opportunity."

Homebrew Signature

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by devlingreye View Post
    quick question what do all of you think about a detective pcr based of the lens of detection. im shooting for Sherlock Holmes.
    Go for it. My first PrC ever was something like that.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

18. - Top - End - #768
    Pixie in the Playground

oh its not my first. I have written plenty of homebrew Prc's. I just thought it would fill a hole that pathfinder hasn't filled yet.
    Slet " Always the opportunist, Devlin."
    Devlin " As long as there are still opportunity."

Homebrew Signature

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    And now for the ever-popular, "Guess what Gareth's class does based on the ability names!" game!
    Seven League Stride: Something mobility-enhancing, possibly for overland movement rather than tactical. I doubt that it literally involves taking seven-league steps, but who knows?

Walk it Off: Heal in any turn that you move? Could be almost any defensive ability, though.

Spring into Action: Sounds like either some measure of improved initiative, or a less-terrible Spring Attack option.

Eternal Traveler: Sounds kind of like a "turn into a [creature type]" capstone. Stops needing to sleep/eat/stop, maybe.

Footwork: Probably a list of abilities that you get to pick one from each level.

EDIT: I feel like some of the awesome rods deserve a class. Immovable, Absorbtion, Lordly Might, Wonder, Rulership... but if someone does a class for the Rod of Metal and Mineral Detection, I will tip my hat to them.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-08-22 at 05:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770

I'm trying to figure out an awesome name for a paladin PrC focusing on the Rod of the Python.

...I should probably figure out exactly which serpent mythos I want to pull from first.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

21. - Top - End - #771

I'm trying to figure out an awesome name for a paladin PrC focusing on the Rod of the Python.

...I should probably figure out exactly which serpent mythos I want to pull from first.
    Paladin++? Pyladin?

gitp extended sig

22. - Top - End - #772

I'm doing a PrC based on a Goodberry Bracelet.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Either Hand of the Mage or Glove of Storing. Haven't decided which one yet.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

I'll admit that a havversack is certainly handy, and that boots of striding and springing will take you far. There is a certain squamous appeal to a Knight of the Serpent, and something captivating about aberrant spheres, but even so I look upon these ideas and something occurs to me. If even the Apparatus of Kwalish is deserving of a prestige class, then what about the humble Cloak? How often has your character's life been saved by the Resistance it offers? How often has a saving throw's doom been averted by its gentle aegis? Yet it gets no respect, or gratitude when the greatest homage and dedication we can offer it is nigh?

This I will not stand for. When girding myself for adventure, without my Cloak I may as well be naked, and to it I will pay my respect and offering.

If you can't tell I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with a Cloak of Resistance based PrC because unless I'm a caster with Superior Resistance it is the top thing on my list to buy because that saving throw bonus is the difference between life and death all too often. Just need to actually buckle down and make it soon.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

25. - Top - End - #775

I have an interesting idea for this contest floating around in my head...

Would 'possessing' a Magical Location count as an Item for the purposes of this contest?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I have an interesting idea for this contest floating around in my head...

Would 'possessing' a Magical Location count as an Item for the purposes of this contest?
    I had forgotten about magical locations, maybe PM me a the dime store synopsis of your idea? I'm leery of it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

27. - Top - End - #777

I didn't even think about it but the most difficult part of writing up this class is phrasing things in a way that don't sound like horrible innuendo.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't even think about it but the most difficult part of writing up this class is phrasing things in a way that don't sound like horrible innuendo.
    I feel like you're doing it wrong.

29. - Top - End - #779

Question: Is an example encounter + NPC stat block a necessary fluff inclusion?

Also, inspired by this contest, I spurred one into motion over on minmaxboards if anyone wants to participate.

gitp extended sig

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Question: Is an example encounter + NPC stat block a necessary fluff inclusion?
    Nope. It is allowed, and maybe even encouraged, but not necessary.