New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    Bwahahahahahaha. One of my best games ever Tonight!
    12. Freaking. Kills. My entire team sans a T-14 runs off to their deaths in the South leaving me in a bush guarding the North-West route to our base with the T-14 hiding behind a building somewhere near me. There after about the sixth or seventh kill my heart rate really started to go up and it got to be a really close one when they figured they could come see me more than one at a time. The T14 served as a great distraction until he got himself killed by leaving the comfort of cover with five or six enemy tanks still alive.
    I cackled furiously as the last remaining tank, an M2 Medium hid behind a rock after I killed the KV that he had come up the little slope with before finishing him off.
    God, what a rush.
    Spoiler
    Show

yeah i have had a 12 kill game and a 13 kill game(both in my mini-maus)
    they are adding a new medal next patch for killing the entire enemy team.. 14 minimum 8(
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    My KV's (pre-patch) 107mm gun bounced off a M7 priest frontal armour. Three times.
    Through a series of games I've tested the M7's armour. It remains the only SPG I'm nervous about when going hunting in my M3 Stuart, has now bounced a series of shells from the Pnzr III/IV off it's flat sided hull (Not just frontally, on those sides that appear to be the best target ever), and casually ignored the VK's 168mm piercing gun (That admittedly does heck all for damage). The hell is up with this little box.

Actually, speaking of M3s, I think I'm going to write a quick guide later, as somehow I've ended up Ace Tanker ranked in it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

7.4 Test One

Of Note there is the stats for the French TDs and Arty.
    The arty seems to be lower damage across the board compared to other countries but faster firing rate.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver225 View Post
    SU-26 is a tiny spiteful machinegun artillery of death to lights and mediums and surprising feats if you backstab with it (which is very possible seeing it's tiny profile and TURRET WOOHOO). I keep a single gold shell in it for just those occasions - my only fadin's medal (kill the last enemy with the last shell in your tank) was with my SU-26 against an IS who trundled right past me only for me to lob my final cursed shot into his engine, burning him to death.

As for lower-ranked matches...
    Spoiler
    Show

I got the former set just now, and the previous some time back. Fun stuff!

Ah, my thunder! It's been stole'd!
    Haha, very nice. Which cannon are you using, the higher damage one or the faster RoF one? I might have to re-purchase the SU-26 just for giggles.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

5. - Top - End - #35

The SU-26 is defined by the 122mm (2nd HE) - anything else and you wasting a slot on the team, the 76mm has RoF and that's all.

The 6 rpm that the 122mm has is more than enough to deliver the pain.
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-06-01 at 02:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    Haha, very nice. Which cannon are you using, the higher damage one or the faster RoF one? I might have to re-purchase the SU-26 just for giggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    The SU-26 is defined by the 122mm (2nd HE) - anything else and you wasting a slot on the team, the 76mm has RoF and that's all.
    Pretty much this. The 122 packs the punch you need to kill lighter tanks in one hit without too much overkill and at least ding heavies through their armour. Using the 2nd HE shell only costs quite a bit but if you hit you'll pretty much always make back more than you spend.
    *waves hand* "There are no plotholes here. This isn't the comic you are looking for..."
    Possibility of Interminable Reciprocity! For that Touhou Roleplaying game you always wanted to join, but never managed to!

7. - Top - End - #37

Why are most BatChat drivers so bad? The tank puts out a lot of damage and it's fast, but it's also squishy. It should not jet out first, run away from the rest of the team, and engage all of the enemies simultaneously. It's in enough danger doing what it should be doing and staying behind the other mediums; everyone knows its dangerous and will try to kill it first either way.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver225 View Post
    Pretty much this. The 122 packs the punch you need to kill lighter tanks in one hit without too much overkill and at least ding heavies through their armour. Using the 2nd HE shell only costs quite a bit but if you hit you'll pretty much always make back more than you spend.
    You kinda have to use it unless you want to never do anything. "It costs more" has never been a reason to use worse weapons except for maybe the old KV-3 and even there it was only a question of the guns being mostly equal.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You kinda have to use it unless you want to never do anything. "It costs more" has never been a reason to use worse weapons except for maybe the old KV-3 and even there it was only a question of the guns being mostly equal.
    Making an easy 10k each game with a good run. SU-26 has to be one of the more profitable Tier IIIs yet.

Of course, it can't outbeat KV-1s or T-34s (or any premium tanks) for sheer profitability, but yeah.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Actually, speaking of M3s, I think I'm going to write a quick guide later, as somehow I've ended up Ace Tanker ranked in it.
    How I Learned To Stop Worrying, And Hate The SPG

Or, a Guide to driving the M3 Stuart

The Tank ; It's the M3 Stuart.
    The Upgrades ; You want the basic autocannon you start with, and everything else fully upgraded. More on gun choice later.
    The Mission ; To kill, every SPG you meet
    The Feel ; Alright. The load screen's up. You look at the tank listings. Three SPGs. No M7s. Wicked. The clock ticks down. Your driver has the nerves. The gunner is smoking. You're on the radio. Zero hour. Go time. Your tank clanks into gear, the engine roaring as the heavy growl of the tanks around you try to match your pace. They can't. You're gone, 40... 50... 60 km/h. Zipping along at a breakneck rate that weightier tanks can't match, and knowing something that those other quick runners don't. You're going to die. Skidding along the main road temporarily, you see nothing, the enemy is still rolling out of thier start. You jet onto a side path, kicking up a cloud of dust, feeling the deadly pull of the slope. There's a Panzer waiting for you. And Russians, and Brits.

You don't even hesitate. Straight down the middle, thier turrets struggling to keep up. Shells blazing past in your wake. There's a Tank Destroyer ahead, you jink, he waits, you zag, he fires. It impacts your armour, blowing off a huge portion of the chassis. Your engine is fine. One track is nicked. You're still doing 60. Then you're gone, like a bat of out hell. A plucky medium tries to turn 'round and chase you, but by the time he catches up it'll be too late. You zip into thier base, high on terror as you find the last stragglers, Heavies that weren't keeping up. They don't have a chance to adjust.

You fly into the bushes, hunting the artillery pieces that are already threatening the allied battle lines. There! A SU-26! Much more of a threat to your team than you are to thier's. Your gunner opens up, the rattling cannon emptying it's clips at a prodigious rate. It's beaten up, smoking marks all over the hull. Not dead, though. You weave just in time as the ground beside you becomes a crater larger than your small armoured frame. Done reloading as you finish circling to it's back, you finish it with another full set of shots.

But, there's a Grille lining up with you, and the enemy tanks are closing in, those who gave up going to the main battle after you haring to land a shell. You don't give them the chance, moving quickly to the far side of the Grille, despite the fact that the Grille is only truly vunerable to your gun on it's back. You open up on it anyway. The light shots plink off it's armour. It doesn't matter, you're hurting it, and the enemy is getting ansty. They fire, near misses. You give up on the Grille, dropping the fight and flooring it down the other path. More tanks await, so looping around, you lose the last few plates keeping your tank from death. Crashing into the side of the Grille, inconviencing it, you burst into flame.

Why ; A Light tank is worth less than the SPGs you can take out. Unlike the story above, you can get two, or sometimes even three, SPG kills before going down.

How ; This is going to be a long bit. But we can TL;DR it for those who don't want to read down more ; DON'T STOP MOVING.

Okay, simple advice aside, let's get down to business. Starting with the gun. Yes, the 37mm lets you engage other Light Tanks, and maybe the back of some Mediums. But that's not what this guide is about. The autocannon opens up much more quickly on SPGs, lets you do a little hindering damage from range where a cannon might miss, and against targets that have 12 and less armour, you tear through them at point blank.

To Weave, you simply tilt the tank back and forth as much as possible without losing speed. Against Threats (See Below), you can give up a bit of speed for a extended juke. (Do not fall below 45 km/h if at all possible) For higher Weave skill, keep track of which type of tank is firing. Panzers, T1 Heavies, KV-1s, Churchhills and the like have a good 6ish seconds between shots. You can drive directly toward them in this time in order to juke thier friends' shots. Then tilt toward someone who just shot (and hopefully missed). Taking a hit isn't all bad. The M3 is capable of standing up to at least a single shot of most Tier V tanks, and as long as it only hits Armour you don't even care.

The M3 is one of the quickest tanks in the game at 60 km/h, but it lacks the push power to go uphill quickly and loses speed on anything but a gradual incline. It does have good turning on flat ground. Do not go uphill unless you are completely safe, as you need the speed.

Now, let's cover the four types of enemy you'll face.

Type 1 : Prey ; SPGs of all variety (Except the M7 Priest, because it's oddly immune to everything, has a turning rate, and a strangly wide tilt on it's gun, letting it act like a TD). You attack them by getting outside of thier arc, and firing wildly. Try to remember the weak armour spots for each. If you can get them between most of thier team and you, you can actually slow down, or stop and use them as a shield.

Type 2 Obstacle ; Heavies, Mediums, and TDs are in this category. They can kill you easily, but usually have to manage to engage and hit you at longer range, before you're too close for thier rotation to deal with. You should drive around clusters of these if at all possible, but going right down the middle is great if you manage to dodge thier shots. A volley of shells from these missing usually costs thier players more than it does to repair your M3. Laugh hysterically as needed when running past.

Type 3 Hounds ; Other Lights of Equal or Lower Tier, these guys you could fight, if you were dragging the 37mm around with you. But you're not, because fighting them during a match with Tier 5s around is a waste when you could be killing SPGs. These guys can actually chase you, but normally aren't a threat aside from dinging up your health bar over time.

Type 4 Threat ; Higher Tier Lights, Fast Mediums, Base Defender Heavies. These guys can catch you, either by waiting and having a quick turret rotation, or by having near-equal speed. Usually mounting a bigger gun than your potential 37mm, they can kill you in a gun fight, keep up well enough to shoot at you, and have better armour ratings than you. These guys will usually be what kills you, aside from the Obstacles actually landing a hit.

So, in the rare game where Matchmaking decides it loves you, and you're at the top of the Tier heap, you'll still have the autocannon. It can pierce weaker Light, and the US medium, armour, so you're not completely out of the game. You also have the Stuart, so you can treat all the enemies as unthreatening Obstacles. Drive around wildly, attract shots, and get pings of damage on everything. Your hull is actually pretty tough at this tier range, but do NOT engage anything without backup. Not to say you should join the trundling horde instead of leading it, but you really need the other tanks to shoot things to death for you. Lead charges, and love it.

Other ; You normally want to take a parrallel track to the main battle lines that everyone uses. Going too far out of the way leads you into running into the Threats and Hounds that wanted to flank the main fight, staying too close gets you targetting by the flank-defending Obstacles like the faster TDs. I was going to have a table of tanks and thier types, but eh.

So, that's the quick rundown of how I ended up Ace Tanker in the M3 Stuart. I also only survived 2% of my games in it.

11. - Top - End - #41

How I Learned To Stop Worrying, And Hate The SPG

Or, a Guide to driving the M3 Stuart

<snip>
    Also known as "the completely wrong way to play every scout tank ever."

My qualifications:

I of course have more tanks than that, but that range includes all the scout tanks I regularly play (in which number I include the M7, which is actually a cleverly disguised light tank rather than a medium).

First of all, and most egregiously, do not, under any circumstances, rush off into the mass of the enemy by yourself. They will shoot at you, and given enough of them (which you guarantee by going to their base before they've spread out to the lanes) they will hit and kill you no matter how dodgy you are. (My Chaffee is very, very dodgy, having 100% clutch braking. They still eventually hit, even though they generally expend more ammo than my tank is worth trying, and if I put fifteen guns on me all at once, they will hit enough to kill before I do significant damage.) Depending on the map, you want to wait two to three minutes for their front line to engage the rest of your team, so that they are distracted. You then move out at top speed, taking a path where you know they are not (because you see them where they're engaged with your team). Proceed to penetrate their base area and kill artillery at your leisure.

For gun selection, the autocannons are fine for the small tanks; that's what I use on the M2 light. For the true scouts, though, you want a big gun, big HE if you can get it. Why? Most artillery is open-topped, and a mortar round will ruin it. My M5 has Reaper 3 in testament to this fact. The M3 Stuart can't get a derp, and is low enough tier that it doesn't get the scout flag, so the autocannon is fine, but when you're thrown in with anything heavier than a Grille, it won't do.

Things to avoid: In addition to the list above, Churchills are your bane. Contrary to the post above, they do not fire a shot every six seconds; the six pounder has a 30 rounds per minute fire rate and when fired from a slow-moving platform (like the Churchill) is accurate enough to put you full of holes when in the hands of a competent (i.e. not auto-aiming at a fast moving lateral target) gunner. Fortunately they're slow, so if you pay attention they're easy to avoid. Just don't make the mistake of thinking you can just breeze by them without risk, though. The M7 uses the same gun, and is fast enough to catch you, so avoid them like the plague (barring the tier 5 lights, which can take one in a stand-up fight).

Get a spall liner. This makes you much deadlier in ramming, since you take less damage from it, in addition to staving off death from the inevitable close range HE panic shot the arty will take at you if you make it that far. My M5 also has Kamikaze from ramming a Hummel to death. Take from that what you will.

But the main thing is that you do not rush in front of your team if you want to be effective a majority of the time. The rest is just more data, but that is the primary thing wrong with the guide.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    But the main thing is that you do not rush in front of your team if you want to be effective a majority of the time. The rest is just more data, but that is the primary thing wrong with the guide.
    Sorry, but I disagree. By rushing faster than they spread out too much in the Tier 2-5 range, you get into thier base, to the SPGs that you want to kill because most of them will be clustering forward to the main areas that you're avoiding. By waiting, you let them cover all the approaches. If you have 15 (Or any number >4) guns pointed at you while running, you've done something wrong, or managed to get inside thier starting zone in beyond record time. The guide was also specifically about the M3, which will never see anything beyond Tier 5/6 against it. All of the SPGs that you'll see are vunerable to the autocannon. Killing SPGs is enough of a boost to get your team to win. Even distracting a large number of tanks for the >30 seconds it takes for them to get you gives your team an advantage worth more than your M3 hide.

Also, the Churchhill's gun does fire faster than I stated. I just picked a random set of tanks that I usually run through, not a precise list of tanks with that reload time. Nice semantics, hero. /slowclap

13. - Top - End - #43

You can manage to run into the entire team depending on the map. Karelia in particular leaves you vulnerable to this, since the map is so small and the area around the base is sufficiently open that tanks going to the north and south passages can still see back until they're in the pass. Malinovka really does it, but if you're still rushing across that field at start by the time you've hit tier 3, you're beyond help.

The tactics I've outlined take advantage of the metagame. Very, very few players go mid if they aren't scouts doing what you said to do, for the reason that on most maps going mid right away is suicidal and few people in pubs have the patience to wait around. If you wait for them to get away from the base, you can usually go right in almost completely unopposed. In organized play, especially clan matches, the strategy has to change again, but for public random games it works fine and nets you a higher survival rate than 2%. Your arty will also thank you, because very few things counter a scout better than another scout, so being on active defense for the first couple of minutes can prove invaluable. Speaking of your artillery, waiting gives them time to set up and take advantage of your spotting, which is less of a factor in lower tiers, but if you cultivate bad habits in low tiers you'll be off and dead before your arty is sited and loaded a tier later.

As for the Churchill (two H's, not three), accuracy is important. The Churchill is more dangerous to you, the low-tier scout than most other heavies, and a guide to playing a scout should mention that fact rather than blithely grouping it in with the slow-firers. It is not a matter of semantics, and it's a disservice to the people you purport to be trying to guide to brush it off as that.

14. - Top - End - #44

You can manage to run into the entire team depending on the map. Karelia in particular leaves you vulnerable to this, since the map is so small and the area around the base is sufficiently open that tanks going to the north and south passages can still see back until they're in the pass. Malinovka really does it, but if you're still rushing across that field at start by the time you've hit tier 3, you're beyond help.
    Malinovka you run either the low flatland on the left (Right facing north) after everyone lines up, or heads to the far side, or you go to the far side with the flankers.

The tactics I've outlined take advantage of the metagame. Very, very few players go mid if they aren't scouts doing what you said to do, for the reason that on most maps going mid right away is suicidal and few people in pubs have the patience to wait around.
    ...What?
    First ; I never suggested going down the middle.
    Second ; Almost every single player I see loves to sit in thier pretty little gun lines and camp. They bring marshmellows and hot dogs to these games.

If you wait for them to get away from the base, you can usually go right in almost completely unopposed. In organized play, especially clan matches, the strategy has to change again, but for public random games it works fine and nets you a higher survival rate than 2%.
    If you wait for them to get away from the base, they'll be covering more of the space that you want to run through, unless your team is already winning in one area.

Your arty will also thank you, because very few things counter a scout better than another scout, so being on active defense for the first couple of minutes can prove invaluable. Speaking of your artillery, waiting gives them time to set up and take advantage of your spotting, which is less of a factor in lower tiers, but if you cultivate bad habits in low tiers you'll be off and dead before your arty is sited and loaded a tier later.
    The arty have plenty of time to setup before you're spotting on any map that isn't Malinovka sized. I usually get an arty shot or two at things that get into my run.

As for the Churchill (two H's, not three), accuracy is important.
    I hate you. If you were within arm's reach, I would strangle you. Right now.

The Churchill is more dangerous to you, the low-tier scout than most other heavies, and a guide to playing a scout should mention that fact rather than blithely grouping it in with the slow-firers. It is not a matter of semantics, and it's a disservice to the people you purport to be trying to guide to brush it off as that.
    It is semantics, when I casually list a few tanks in a guide I wrote mostly for fun rather than to be an in-depth look at the exact workings of the game.
    Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2012-06-01 at 09:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

Isn't the difference you two are having just the fact that Kinslayer is tailoring advice to Top Tier ~4-5 games where things like covering all entrances and protecting the artillery aren't Tactics Du Jour, while Renegade is giving advice for the bit higher tier games with people having slightly more robust mechanics?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

16. - Top - End - #46

Malinovka you run either the low flatland on the left (Right facing north) after everyone lines up, or heads to the far side, or you go to the far side with the flankers.
    I know how to deal with it.

...What?
    First ; I never suggested going down the middle.
    Second ; Almost every single player I see loves to sit in thier pretty little gun lines and camp. They bring marshmellows and hot dogs to these games.
    First, you should have; it's almost always the least-guarded route barring Malinovka and Komarin. Second, I don't know what server you're playing on, but most people I see, especially rookies, rush off at top speed as soon as the countdown hits zero. Besides, if everyone's camping anyway, then who's doing all this covering of routes you keep talking about if you wait? You're contradicting yourself.

If you wait for them to get away from the base, they'll be covering more of the space that you want to run through, unless your team is already winning in one area.
    Fifteen tanks can't be everywhere, and if they do spread out in a thin ring to try and stop scouts, they'll get smashed by the concentrated force of the rest of your team. It's the old problem of whether you intend to stop smugglers or invading armies; every strategist from Sun Tzu to Napoleon has written about it.

The arty have plenty of time to setup before you're spotting on any map that isn't Malinovka sized. I usually get an arty shot or two at things that get into my run.
    Small arty yes. Big arty no. You won't be playing tier 3 forever.

I hate you. If you were within arm's reach, I would strangle you. Right now.
    I really, seriously doubt that.

It is semantics, when I casually list a few tanks in a guide I wrote mostly for fun rather than to be an in-depth look at the exact workings of the game.
    If you don't intend to be accurate, then it isn't much of a guide. Accuracy is still important.

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show

My current Service Record for the SU-26

Size of shell damage shows: The Total damage done for the SU is just over double what my S-51 has at 196 battles

(also just noticed that i have 666 battles in my KV1)
    The T57 is retired (HE nerf hit it very hard)
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-06-02 at 07:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #48

''In order to reduce the amount of issues with "questionable" non-penetration/penetration hits, reworked the system of damaging with HE and armor-piercing shells. In some cases the chance of damage and critical hits from HE shells increases.''

GODDAMN!

And they kept saying it was our imagination, we must have been doing it wrong etc...

I damn well know that when I hit a medium 3 times with my Lowe and it shows battle damage but the damn thing is still at 100% health and never slows down, stops spitting shells at 2-ish second intervals, nor get tracked that something wasn't working correctly.

And shooting them in the upper hull sides should not result in no effect from a 10.5 cm gun when I hit a pnzr 3/4 in the side (hull or turret that is 30 mm armour and my absolute minimum penetration is 30mm, i.e. minus 25% from RNG to my long range penetration and +25% armour effect bonus from 'sloping' which would penetrate anytime I get no bounce result).
    And given that I was shooting it when it was driving circles around me I severely doubt the Long Range bracket should come into play.
    And at close range the armour penetration on the Lowe gun is SUBSTANTIALLY higher then 30 mm minimum.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

M7 *cough* Priest.

Goddamn I hate their forcefield armour.

On a brighter note, I just unlocked my SU-14. Now debating whether to keep the SU-8 and its crew, or transfer the crew to the SU-14. I kinda like SU-8. Just the right amount of mobility and damage. (Setting an IS-3 on fire never fails to amuse.)

20. - Top - End - #50

Lets talk about insane premium tanks...

Spoiler
    Show
    Heavy Tank: WZ-111

Characteristics for a vehicle with basic configuration and a crew with 100% qualification.

Main Characteristics

Tier

VIII

Hit Points

1 550 HP

Weight/Load Limit

48.97 / 53.95 t

Price

Gift Tank

Crew

1.Commander(Radio Operator)
    2.Gunner
    3.Driver
    4.Loader

Mobility

Engine Power

650 h.p.

Speed Limit

50 km/h

Traverse Speed

28 deg/sec

Turret Traverse Speed

26 deg/sec

Armor

Hull Armor (mm)

front 130
    sides 90
    rear 60

Turret Armor (mm)

front 200
    sides 140
    rear 80

Armament

Gun

D25-TA

Ammunition

32 pcs.

Damage

293-488 HP

Armor Penetration

131-219 mm

Rate of Fire

4.8 rounds/min

View Range

320 m

Signal Range

525 m

And then people worry about a Lowe :)?

21. - Top - End - #51

WG learned from the Type 59 and that's why the 62 & 111 are not available anywhere but the Chinese server.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

-ing stupid people. So I purchased a T-28 and took it out for its first battle. Heading out a T2 MT shoots me, then shoots me 3-4 more times (a few of them bouncing). Gets me to like 15% health and then drives off, comes back 30 seconds later and shoots me a couple more times and kills me. The stupid game doesn't even turn him blue, my compensation for being hit by an ally is only 255 coins (for a 1400 repair bill), and he was the only one to shoot me, didn't even see any enemies to try and hit me. And then on top of that the team wins the battle so my 2x exp is practically nothing.

23. - Top - End - #53

If you don't want to be assumed an idiot, do not assume anyone else to be.

First, you should have; it's almost always the least-guarded route barring Malinovka and Komarin. Second, I don't know what server you're playing on, but most people I see, especially rookies, rush off at top speed as soon as the countdown hits zero. Besides, if everyone's camping anyway, then who's doing all this covering of routes you keep talking about if you wait? You're contradicting yourself.
    Okay... Look. I'm going to make this very, very, very, very (so on), simple for you.

First ; So, when you're critizing me, down the middle is bad, but when you're the one supporting it, it's good. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Second ; What purpose is served in camping the base? They camp along the edges of the entry routes to the base. At first, everyone clusters around the "main" routes. If you wait, they get bored and roll off to cover the less-considered entrances, as both sides wait for the others to show themselves. This is not contradictory.

Fifteen tanks can't be everywhere, and if they do spread out in a thin ring to try and stop scouts, they'll get smashed by the concentrated force of the rest of your team. It's the old problem of whether you intend to stop smugglers or invading armies; every strategist from Sun Tzu to Napoleon has written about it.
    No, they can't be everywhere at once, but they'll make main clusters of snipers, and then spread to the other paths. World of Tanks does not have infinite paths to the base.

Small arty yes. Big arty no. You won't be playing tier 3 forever.
    Yes, I will be. Because it was written for fun about specifically the M3, which I enjoy more than my Tier 4 - 6 things. I don't own any Tier 7+ because I don't even want to see the state of things that high. My VK was my big excitement for a while as I was going to finally get out of the Panzer IV and the sniping wars... to learn that the tiers that the VK is at is full of the heavy guns, grinding approaches, and sniping, sniping, sniping.

If you don't intend to be accurate, then it isn't much of a guide. Accuracy is still important.

First of all, you should have; it's almost always the least guarded route, barring, Malinovka and Komarin. Secondly, I don't know what server you're playing on, but most of the people I see, especially rookies, rush off at top speed as soon as the countdown hits zero. Besides, if everyone's camping anyway, then who's doing all of this covering of routes you keep talking speaking about if you wait? You're contradicting yourself.

Fifteen tanks can't be everywhere, and if they do spread out into a thin ring to try and stop scouts, they'll get smashed by the concentrated force of the rest of your team. It's the old problem of whether you intend to stop smugglers or invading armies;, every strategist from Sun Tzu to Napoleon has written about it.

Small arty, artillery yes. Big Larger arty artillery, no. You won't be playing tier 3 forever.

I really, seriously, doubt that.

You're right. Accuracy is important.
    Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2012-06-02 at 01:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Lakeville: we have a T1 and a T14 aswell as a leFH105 left and there is a KV and a T14 inc to base. Our pair of heavies are half way down the valley and decided to push on after they start capping out base... the Arty goes down valiantly to try and stop the cap.

Just boggles the mind that people can think that they can race down the valley from half way and beat them at capping when they have a large head start and no-one to stop them (after arty was taken out)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

25. - Top - End - #55

If you don't want to be assumed an idiot, do not assume anyone else to be.
    I didn't assume you were an idiot. Lots of people do exactly that, but that doesn't mean you're one of them. On the other hand, even more people go hill, to the point that near-entire teams will go and leave two or three tanks guarding the base, making a delayed rather than immediate rush very effective.

Okay... Look. I'm going to make this very, very, very, very (so on), simple for you.

First ; So, when you're critizing me, down the middle is bad, but when you're the one supporting it, it's good. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Second ; What purpose is served in camping the base? They camp along the edges of the entry routes to the base. At first, everyone clusters around the "main" routes. If you wait, they get bored and roll off to cover the less-considered entrances, as both sides wait for the others to show themselves. This is not contradictory.
    First, down the middle right at start is bad. Down the middle a couple of minutes later when everyone goes down the side lanes is good. This is not a hard distinction to make, and one I made very clearly.

Second, that's exactly the point. They will get bored and move on if you wait. This is why I say to wait, and why not waiting is a bad idea.

No, they can't be everywhere at once, but they'll make main clusters of snipers, and then spread to the other paths. World of Tanks does not have infinite paths to the base.
    You're right, it doesn't, but most maps have enough that there aren't significant numbers of tanks on every one. By the two minute mark, the teams are usually engaging, and the minimap will tell you where that's happening, so you can go around.

Yes, I will be. Because it was written for fun about specifically the M3, which I enjoy more than my Tier 4 - 6 things. I don't own any Tier 7+ because I don't even want to see the state of things that high. My VK was my big excitement for a while as I was going to finally get out of the Panzer IV and the sniping wars... to learn that the tiers that the VK is at is full of the heavy guns, grinding approaches, and sniping, sniping, sniping.
    What you learned is that sloppy tactics stop working once you get into higher tiers. No, once you're in a tier 4 or 5 light with the scout flag you can't just bumrush anymore and expect to be effective. However, the tactics used at higher levels of play apply just as well to lower tiers - or better, since people who are just starting out or never advance beyond them don't see them often and don't counter them.

You're right. Accuracy is important.
    Accuracy of information, not spelling. If I meant spelling was important, that's what I would have said; the Churchill thing was a parenthetical aside, which is why it was in parentheses to separate it from the rest of the statement, which you have mistakenly conflated it with. You gave incorrect information in what is supposed to be an informative guide to play. That was the problem. As a new player reading your guide, I'd get the distinct impression that little threat is posed by heavies in general (not particularly true) and Churchills in particular since they were named (absolutely incorrect).

At any rate, you're getting very angry for no particular reason. I offered a differing opinion to your guide; you'd think I kicked your dog or something from how you're acting about it. We're under no obligation to treat what you say on the matter as holy dogma not to be denied.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-06-02 at 10:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

First, down the middle right at start is bad. Down the middle a couple of minutes later when everyone goes down the side lanes is good. This is not a hard distinction to make, and one I made very clearly.
    No, it wasn't. You stated "Down the middle is bad." And then refrained with "Down the middle is good."

Second, that's exactly the point. They will get bored and move on if you wait. This is why I say to wait, and why not waiting is a bad idea.
    But them moving on is the dangerous part. When they're all clustered in two or three locations, you can zip by. When they've spread out into engagements and looking toward the flanks, you have to get by a lot more fire.

You're right, it doesn't, but most maps have enough that there aren't significant numbers of tanks on every one. By the two minute mark, the teams are usually engaging, and the minimap will tell you where that's happening, so you can go around.
    The teams normally engage in the same sections over and over, instead of waiting to see that and then letting them move out toward the edges.

What you learned is that sloppy tactics stop working once you get into higher tiers. No, once you're in a tier 4 or 5 light with the scout flag you can't just bumrush anymore and expect to be effective. However, the tactics used at higher levels of play apply just as well to lower tiers - or better, since people who are just starting out or never advance beyond them don't see them often and don't counter them.
    And this is why I don't believe your below (and above) statements. You condensend heavily on everything I say, and then expect me to smile and agree with you.

It's not that I "learn sloppy tactics stop working", it's that I didn't enjoy the change in gameplay. I never moved up in Light Tanks because the T5 Lights cost 50,000 EXP and I could better spend that time getting new Mediums. Except it turns out that I don't enjoy the majority of Mediums in the German tree that I decided to focus on.

Accuracy of information, not spelling. If I meant spelling was important, that's what I would have said; the Churchill thing was a parenthetical aside, which is why it was in parentheses to separate it from the rest of the statement, which you have mistakenly conflated it with. You gave incorrect information in what is supposed to be an informative guide to play. That was the problem. As a new player reading your guide, I'd get the distinct impression that little threat is posed by heavies in general (not particularly true) and Churchills in particular since they were named (absolutely incorrect).
    Little threat is posed by Heavies, aside from the times they land a shell on you, and you burst into flames instantly. But there's really nothing to be done about getting hit aside from Not Being There or Dodging.

At any rate, you're getting very angry for no particular reason. I offered a differing opinion to your guide; you'd think I kicked your dog or something from how you're acting about it. We're under no obligation to treat what you say on the matter as holy dogma not to be denied.
    I'm angry because of the above condensation in every one of your posts, like spelling out exactly why the Churchill shouldn't have been in that list rather than just going "Yo, that tank doesn't actually do that." I would've been fine with that, and probably just editted the Churchie out. Instead when I explain that I wasn't paying much attention because I was just having fun, you mock the fact that I left an extra H in.

You're under no obligation to agree, and niether am I. (See above for Condensation, and how you do it so very often.)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys, I think the atmosphere is getting a little hostile. Could you please take it to PMs?

On a happier note, I finally grinded my way to a SU-14. Oh boy, this tank moves like, I quote: "a beached pregnant whale" and I find this description to be apt. It's also unable to defend itself from the slowest scout tank unlike the SU-8. The 203mm gun better be worth it.

Well, fortunately, not many on the SEA server knows how to counter-battery yet and I hope they don't learn for some time yet.

28. - Top - End - #58

Its the same gun as the S-51 has and it is very much worth it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #59

No, it wasn't. You stated "Down the middle is bad." And then refrained with "Down the middle is good."
    My opening statement was that rushing in right away is a bad idea, which I articulated more than once. If you didn't keep that in mind when reading the rest of what I had to say, it is not my fault.

But them moving on is the dangerous part. When they're all clustered in two or three locations, you can zip by. When they've spread out into engagements and looking toward the flanks, you have to get by a lot more fire.
    My considerable experience in scouts from the closed beta on tells me the opposite. People tend to look at the immediate threats to them, which you don't qualify as if there are tanks with big guns in front of them. If they're engaging your heavies, they're generally not going to all turn to shoot at you when you go down another lane. (But if they do you still win, since they'll be looking the wrong way when large-caliber shells come crashing through their side turret armor.) If, on the other hand, you rush in front and you're the only target they see, they will shoot at you because you're the only target they see.

The teams normally engage in the same sections over and over, instead of waiting to see that and then letting them move out toward the edges.
    Normally yes, but until they're actually doing so you don't know where they are. Running headlong into a medium wolfpack that's decided to do something unorthodox will end your scouting career in a big hurry.

And this is why I don't believe your below (and above) statements. You condensend heavily on everything I say, and then expect me to smile and agree with you.

It's not that I "learn sloppy tactics stop working", it's that I didn't enjoy the change in gameplay. I never moved up in Light Tanks because the T5 Lights cost 50,000 EXP and I could better spend that time getting new Mediums. Except it turns out that I don't enjoy the majority of Mediums in the German tree that I decided to focus on.
    And that's fine, but play guides aren't about the person writing them; they're about the people reading them. As an aside, I don't find high level gameplay to be an endless snipe-fest in the least; I play American heavies (which are much more mobile than Germans) and high tier mediums all the way up to the Patton and successfully use a very mobile outflanking style of play, not what you describe at all.

And no, I don't expect you to smile and agree with me. I also didn't expect immediate, unrelenting hostility, but one can't predict everything.

Little threat is posed by Heavies, aside from the times they land a shell on you, and you burst into flames instantly. But there's really nothing to be done about getting hit aside from Not Being There or Dodging.
    Personally, I'd classify that as rather threatening.

I'm angry because of the above condensation in every one of your posts, like spelling out exactly why the Churchill shouldn't have been in that list rather than just going "Yo, that tank doesn't actually do that." I would've been fine with that, and probably just editted the Churchie out. Instead when I explain that I wasn't paying much attention because I was just having fun, you mock the fact that I left an extra H in.

You're under no obligation to agree, and niether am I. (See above for Condensation, and how you do it so very often.)
    I spelled out why the Churchill shouldn't have been in the list because just saying "Hey it doesn't work like that" doesn't explain how it does work. Again, this isn't about you; it's about the people reading the guide. You're taking it personally when you really, really shouldn't be.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Came here to talk about tanks, all I find is a page of rage between two members.

Never the less just got this game lastnight, my friend has advised to start with the russian tree as it is the "easiest" to learn, then branch into other trees. Is this solid advice?