New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: MtG: Color Philosophy Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    If you could pick to eliminate two of the Ravnica guilds, which would you pick (assuming you want the city to function as well as possible)?

I honestly think that the easiest to eliminate are Gruul, Selesnya, and Dimir. Gruul serves very little purpose in the plane, except maybe to prevent the guilds from becoming complacent (and they did that anyway). Selesnya is just a cult: if they were eliminated, the plane would lose some of its national parks... and basically nothing else. Almost nobody knows Dimir exists: if they were gone, most people's lives would continue exactly as they were before.

Compare that to the loss of Azorius or Boros (no government or law), Orzhov (no money), Rakdos (no freedom of speech), and Izzet or Simic (no technology), and I think there is a good case to be made for eliminating those three guilds.
    Probably Rakdos and Gruul. The removal of the big red guilds allows white to dominate, everyone is now part of a cult based around rigid classes and imposed laws. It would run like clockwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've always viewed my color pie philosophy as being mainly blue, with some white and maybe a pinch of red. Taking the test that was linked above mostly bears that out, as it gave me Blue/White (with my colors from strongest to weakest being Blue White Red Green Black).

Also, were I to eliminate two guilds, the first to go would probably be Dimir. Most people don't even know they exist, so I can't imagine taking them out would be too disruptive. The next would be Rakdos; it's really hard to see anything productive that those guys add.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I've always viewed my color pie philosophy as being mainly blue, with some white and maybe a pinch of red. Taking the test that was linked above mostly bears that out, as it gave me Blue/White (with my colors from strongest to weakest being Blue White Red Green Black).

Also, were I to eliminate two guilds, the first to go would probably be Dimir. Most people don't even know they exist, so I can't imagine taking them out would be too disruptive. The next would be Rakdos; it's really hard to see anything productive that those guys add.
    One particular thing I don't like about those kinds of quizzes is that MtG predominantly caters to Blue players, as MtG is mostly about mastering the mechanics of a logical game. Even as something as straightforward as Red often relies on understanding the timing mechanics of combat to interrupt damage with instants. Or waiting for the right moment to grant your creature First Strike, or something along those lines.

Only Green has less emphasis on mechanical mastery, and often it relies on PREVENTING those things from being relevant. Use Hexproof to counter someone's attempts to remove your win condition, or use Trample to get past their constant flow of 1/1's. Green revolves around preventing players from "cheating", but it still requires a good understanding of what "cheating" effects you need to be careful of.

Every good MtG player has a blue mentality, and you can see it in almost every result of every person on here.

It'd be akin to asking people on the internet if they'd rather play a video game or go hiking, then being confused why the "random" quiz has a bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    One particular thing I don't like about those kinds of quizzes is that MtG predominantly caters to Blue players, as MtG is mostly about mastering the mechanics of a logical game. Even as something as straightforward as Red often relies on understanding the timing mechanics of combat to interrupt damage with instants. Or waiting for the right moment to grant your creature First Strike, or something along those lines.

Only Green has less emphasis on mechanical mastery, and often it relies on PREVENTING those things from being relevant. Use Hexproof to counter someone's attempts to remove your win condition, or use Trample to get past their constant flow of 1/1's. Green revolves around preventing players from "cheating", but it still requires a good understanding of what "cheating" effects you need to be careful of.

Every good MtG player has a blue mentality, and you can see it in almost every result of every person on here.

It'd be akin to asking people on the internet if they'd rather play a video game or go hiking, then being confused why the "random" quiz has a bias.
    I agree that quizzes tend to be blue biased.
    But that's because it's easy to make the blue choice the most obvious.
    Usually I feel like the answer look like:
    • Be a jerk to others, for no reason
    • Something random
    • Nature, dude
    • Ignore yourself, and help others
    • The thing that actually makes sense

I feel like you're over focusing on one part of blue.
    All colors have some amount of competence everywhere, but one specializes in it.
    In the same way that most games end via damage, but aren't red.
    And involve creatures and are not green.
    And have a set of rules that everyone is willing to follow without question, but isn't white.

Regardless, I'd argue that every good MtG player has a black mentality.
    Because, at the end of the game, the only thing that matters is that you won.
    And anything for the sake of power, is pretty much the definition of black.
    As they say, "The only point of life that matters is your last."
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2019-06-10 at 04:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But what if I am quite happy to lose as long as my opponent hated the whole game? If I can bait you into spending 40 minutes torturing yourself, who was the real loser?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    But what if I am quite happy to lose as long as my opponent hated the whole game? If I can bait you into spending 40 minutes torturing yourself, who was the real loser?
    Then you're a dave. Let's not talk about that again.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
    Regardless, I'd argue that every good MtG player has a black mentality.
    Because, at the end of the game, the only thing that matters is that you won.
    And anything for the sake of power, is pretty much the definition of black.
    As they say, "The only point of life that matters is your last."
    I probably don't qualify as a good MtG player, but I think that it's more important to focus on the "game" rather than the "victory".

I don't care about winning. I care about being better. I care that I tactically defeated my opponent through good gameplay rather than winning at any cost. I intentionally build decks that are interactive with my opponent. I said it earlier, but I think MtG Solitaire is the worst thing to happen for the game (although it is probably one of the best things that lines WotC's pockets).

Truth be told, though, I've stopped enjoying MtG for that exact problem. Played for years, but the problem stayed consistent: You win at MtG by preventing your opponent from playing. Whether that means a Tutor so that you can draw your win condition before your opponent can outpace you, or a Krosan Grip on a necessary artifact, the game rewards those who deny interaction. It rewards Solitaire vs. tactics. The better you get at the game, the less of a game there is to play. But that's just my 2 cents on a soapbox.

On topic, though, everyone's a flavor of the 4 other colors (I'm White, you're Black), I just don't think there are any experienced players without a good portion of Blue's mentality.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-10 at 04:42 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Then you're a dave. Let's not talk about that again.
    My point was that winning the game itself shouldn't be color specific, it is about how you win that colors matter.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

I probably don't qualify as a good MtG player, but I think that it's more important to focus on the "game" rather than the "victory".

I don't care about winning. I care about being better. I care that I tactically defeated my opponent through good gameplay rather than winning at any cost. I intentionally build decks that are interactive with my opponent. I said it earlier, but I think MtG Solitaire is the worst thing to happen for the game (although it is probably one of the best things that lines WotC's pockets).

Truth be told, though, I've stopped enjoying MtG for that exact problem. Played for years, but the problem stayed consistent: You win at MtG by preventing your opponent from playing. Whether that means a Tutor so that you can draw your win condition before your opponent can outpace you, or a Krosan Grip on a necessary artifact, the game rewards those who deny interaction. It rewards Solitaire vs. tactics. The better you get at the game, the less of a game there is to play. But that's just my 2 cents on a soapbox.

On topic, though, everyone's a flavor of the 4 other colors (I'm White, you're Black), I just don't think there are any experienced players without a good portion of Blue's mentality.
    Fair enough.
    I was conflating competitive with good.

Which is funny, because I too much have given up competitive play for the same reasons.
    Now it's just casual-ish EDH, with it's crazy mind bending puzzles.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
    Fair enough.
    I was conflating competitive with good.

Which is funny, because I too much have given up competitive play for the same reasons.
    Now it's just casual-ish EDH, with it's crazy mind bending puzzles.
    It's slightly obscure, but there's a free online Elder Scrolls card game you might enjoy. Feels a bit like MtG, but it focuses heavily on on-board interaction and tactics. I've looked at a lot of different free online card games (Hearthstone included), and Elder Scrolls Legends is the only one I've kept playing after Hearthstone's quality plummeted (started introducing cards that were on the lines of "have a counter for this or you lose").

There's also a great deck-builder card game (everyone starts with the same deck, each game, builds their deck/playstyle as they play) called Star Realms that was made by some pro-players of MtG. It's not too expensive, has a lot of expansions, and it's really easy to get into. My wife and I used to play the hell out of it.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-10 at 05:47 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I like flying weenie decks that revolve around flying 1/1 WBU creatures. I seldom have spells or enchantments in my deck, just lots of mana-efficient wbu flyers.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    https://still-anchorage-15218.herokuapp.com/

You may want to edit this onto the OP. Its the best test I’ve found for mtg color philosophy.

Also, this article from Medium does a decent job describing color philosophies: https://medium.com/s/story/the-mtg-c...l-c9700a7cf36d

I’m almost pure Black/Blue, but I have enough Green in me that I could reasonably describe myself as Dimir-leaning Sultai.
    According to that, blue red, but my scores where | White: 226 | Blue: 377 | Black: 121 | Red: 262 | Green: 216 |

So there's a fair amount of white and green in there. First time i've come out with a string showing outside of blue or white afaik. Odd thing is i like green decks the best with black seconderially. That said i think thats down to a few factors. First and foremost i'm both relatively straightforward in my style and i like to play a longer game.A big part of that being because i'm cautious almost to a fault which can also make me more that a little reactive. I also prefer permanent solutions to problems.

Blue has an issue with most of it's solutions being reactive, (i'd generally say anything that makes you hold back mana for an opponents turn is reactive whilst things on your turn are proactive), or short term if they're not. And, (as the Devs have acknowledged), blue tends to have issues with any win condition that isn't decking your opponent. I'm also not a big fan of stuff that keeps opponents from even having a chance to use what they've got, and counterspells tend to make me feel that way, ditto for forcing the opponent to lose cards. Basically i might want to win, buty i don't want to do so in a way that makes the game not fun for my opponent. And for me at leas blue at it's worst is the nastiest colour for leaving you feeling like every card you brought to the game was completely irrelevant.

I think my black favouring comes from a combination of where blue and black overlap and the fact that in a game environment i'm willing to take approaches i'd never take in IRL.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    According to that, blue red, but my scores where | White: 226 | Blue: 377 | Black: 121 | Red: 262 | Green: 216 |

So there's a fair amount of white and green in there. First time i've come out with a string showing outside of blue or white afaik. Odd thing is i like green decks the best with black seconderially. That said i think thats down to a few factors. First and foremost i'm both relatively straightforward in my style and i like to play a longer game.A big part of that being because i'm cautious almost to a fault which can also make me more that a little reactive. I also prefer permanent solutions to problems.

Blue has an issue with most of it's solutions being reactive, (i'd generally say anything that makes you hold back mana for an opponents turn is reactive whilst things on your turn are proactive), or short term if they're not. And, (as the Devs have acknowledged), blue tends to have issues with any win condition that isn't decking your opponent. I'm also not a big fan of stuff that keeps opponents from even having a chance to use what they've got, and counterspells tend to make me feel that way, ditto for forcing the opponent to lose cards. Basically i might want to win, buty i don't want to do so in a way that makes the game not fun for my opponent. And for me at leas blue at it's worst is the nastiest colour for leaving you feeling like every card you brought to the game was completely irrelevant.

I think my black favouring comes from a combination of where blue and black overlap and the fact that in a game environment i'm willing to take approaches i'd never take in IRL.
    For me, my mind is always running ideas on how I can increase my income. I want so much wealth that my money starts making its own money and I can retire rich.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For me, my mind is always running ideas on how I can increase my income. I want so much wealth that my money starts making its own money and I can retire rich.
    To be fair so does everyone. A desire for money isn't really specific to any one colour. It's what they want to do with it and how they'll go about earning it thats colour specific.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair so does everyone. A desire for money isn't really specific to any one colour. It's what they want to do with it and how they'll go about earning it thats colour specific.
    I’ll use any legal means to acquire wealth—I’d rather not be on the ugly end of the justice system and am bad at keeping secrets. I work a full time job in education and two part time jobs (one in retail pharmacy and the other as a private tutor) to make money. Its important my money-making doesn’t draw too much attention to me, as I prefer subtlety and don’t like being bothered. The occasional people who recognize me in public is bad enough, even if they tend to be well-wishers. In my experience the rich tend not to be pushed around, and so long as they aren’t particularly well known, they can live unmolested.

I’m the wealth builder, but when I father kids (I’m thinking 3 kids—not too few, not too many) one day, I want to give them each a sizeable fortune that is big enough that work will be optional. Of course, I’ll still encourage them to work and grow the fortune, but they will be able to have a good work-life balance instead of working all the time.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ll use any legal means to acquire wealth—I’d rather not be on the ugly end of the justice system and am bad at keeping secrets. I work a full time job in education and two part time jobs (one in retail pharmacy and the other as a private tutor) to make money. Its important my money-making doesn’t draw too much attention to me, as I prefer subtlety and don’t like being bothered. The occasional people who recognize me in public is bad enough, even if they tend to be well-wishers. In my experience the rich tend not to be pushed around, and so long as they aren’t particularly well known, they can live unmolested.

I’m the wealth builder, but when I father kids (I’m thinking 3 kids—not too few, not too many) one day, I want to give them each a sizeable fortune that is big enough that work will be optional. Of course, I’ll still encourage them to work and grow the fortune, but they will be able to have a good work-life balance instead of working all the time.
    Parts of that sound like Orzhov and other parts sound like Dimir (though I'm not sure why you're admitting the latter) so I'd say you're likely Black-focused Esper.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-06-20 at 03:28 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Parts of that sound like Orzhov and other parts sound like Dimir (though I'm not sure why you're admitting the latter) so I'd say you're likely Black-focused Esper.
    I only told you the tip of the iceberg. I don’t so freely share all my secrets.

18. - Top - End - #48

I agree that Blue can be oppressive, but, to me, it represents the "contest". The "challenge" of the game. Not an attempt for victory, but an attempt for dominance. There is no "random chance". The game ceases to be a race between mashing yours and your opponent's cards together until one is determined a survivor.

When you play a blue player, every card you play is a choice on both sides. You have to gamble against the cards in his hand, the amount of mana he has remaining, what you're able to do to prevent any actions, and whether or not you're willing to call his bluff. When every other color is playing Poker, a game with a blue player is Texas Hold'Em.

I don't have any respect for comboing, restrictive blue players who just plan around laughing at their opponents, through cheaty-face win mechanics (Mill), but I think that every color has an oppressive side that everyone hates (Green: Hexproof/Regenerate, Red: Direct Damage, White: Token generators, anti-color shenanigans, etc). I'm not a fan of mechanics that prevent your opponent from playing, but I feel that a classic Blue counter deck involves playing, on both sides, at every level, even before the card hits the board.

5th Edition Homebrewery

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

I only told you the tip of the iceberg. I don’t so freely share all my secrets.
    I didn't say you did.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I agree that Blue can be oppressive, but, to me, it represents the "contest". The "challenge" of the game. Not an attempt for victory, but an attempt for dominance. There is no "random chance". The game ceases to be a race between mashing yours and your opponent's cards together until one is determined a survivor.

When you play a blue player, every card you play is a choice on both sides. You have to gamble against the cards in his hand, the amount of mana he has remaining, what you're able to do to prevent any actions, and whether or not you're willing to call his bluff. When every other color is playing Poker, a game with a blue player is Texas Hold'Em.

I don't have any respect for comboing, restrictive blue players who just plan around laughing at their opponents, through cheaty-face win mechanics (Mill), but I think that every color has an oppressive side that everyone hates (Green: Hexproof/Regenerate, Red: Direct Damage, White: Token generators, anti-color shenanigans, etc). I'm not a fan of mechanics that prevent your opponent from playing, but I feel that a classic Blue counter deck involves playing, on both sides, at every level, even before the card hits the board.
    First mill based blue control was definitely a big part of what i was taking a slice at. But there's also a couple of related concepts i was taking a swing at. There's the blue prision decks that have a very limited rnage of win conditions, (usually restricted to 4 copies of a single card at ost). if they don't draw that early enough or under the right boardstate they'll deck themselves before they achieve the win or otherwise run themselves out of options releasing you to act and kill them. You don't win because you did anything right but because whatever long odds win condition they where playing towards didn't happen. You won because they lost the RNG toss.

I'd also say that the issue is worse at lower power levels. The lower down the scale you get the more colour identity becomes an issue. As a result only blue and red have real tempo answers, and thats it a lot easier for blue to maintain enough answers to shut down anything your doing. And they generally don't need as powerful a win condition. And the main way to keep a blue control from locking you down is to have enough tempo they can't have an answer for everything.

Honestly what it comes back to is agency. A player needs to feel like they're doing somthing, if their every option is so completely shut down that none of their cards even hit the board the effect on an emotional and perceptional level is very different to killing them off or shutting them down after they hit the board. Of course some of that also has to do with enters and leaves the battlefield type effects and the way very little hoses all permanent types after they hit the battlefield. Regardless of the reality players feel their cards they played got to do somthing before they where countered. Thats also wy like blues tap and return to hand/library effects much more, they give more time for whatever card you play to have an effect. Blue can buy a lot of time, but they can't completely shut you down eternally that way.

21. - Top - End - #51

First mill based blue control was definitely a big part of what i was taking a slice at. But there's also a couple of related concepts i was taking a swing at. There's the blue prision decks that have a very limited rnage of win conditions, (usually restricted to 4 copies of a single card at ost). if they don't draw that early enough or under the right boardstate they'll deck themselves before they achieve the win or otherwise run themselves out of options releasing you to act and kill them. You don't win because you did anything right but because whatever long odds win condition they where playing towards didn't happen. You won because they lost the RNG toss.

I'd also say that the issue is worse at lower power levels. The lower down the scale you get the more colour identity becomes an issue. As a result only blue and red have real tempo answers, and thats it a lot easier for blue to maintain enough answers to shut down anything your doing. And they generally don't need as powerful a win condition. And the main way to keep a blue control from locking you down is to have enough tempo they can't have an answer for everything.

Honestly what it comes back to is agency. A player needs to feel like they're doing somthing, if their every option is so completely shut down that none of their cards even hit the board the effect on an emotional and perceptional level is very different to killing them off or shutting them down after they hit the board. Of course some of that also has to do with enters and leaves the battlefield type effects and the way very little hoses all permanent types after they hit the battlefield. Regardless of the reality players feel their cards they played got to do somthing before they where countered. Thats also wy like blues tap and return to hand/library effects much more, they give more time for whatever card you play to have an effect. Blue can buy a lot of time, but they can't completely shut you down eternally that way.
    Makes me wonder about a mechanic that specifically helps Blue players win when they counter or manipulate things, but not in a way that's overly oppressive.

Like "When a creatures leaves the battlefield without going to the graveyard, put a +1/+1 counters on this creature. While this creature has a +1/+1 counter on it, it has flying and lifelink. When this creature dies, instead put it in your hand".

Or "Whenever an opponent taps a permanent for a mana ability, put a Manashock counter on that player. At the start of their turn, remove all that player's Manashock counters and deal that much damage to them. If a player casts a spell, they remove all Manashock counters on them" (So blue counterspells deal damage until you're able to play something).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-21 at 04:14 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Considering that creatures have become increasingly powerful compared to spells over the years, to the point where Vintage is almost entirely modern legal creatures with ancient spells attached, I don't think this is really valid anymore. There are scads of uncounterable, hexproof, or ETB act like a spell creatures now. Traditional blue control is dead in every format, even Pauper is focused more on tempo and short games than single card win con control.

I think the biggest issue has always been the conflict between low curve spike decks and higher curve decks. Land Destruction was the black (then red) version of blue control, punishing high curves and fat creatures so they ditched it. Good discard did the same so they ditched it too. At the same time midrange 3-5 drops have become increasingly powerful to try to allow high CMC curves to thrive, to the point where control is built around the same kinds of 5 drops midrange is.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I scored Green>Blue>White.

I can totally see how I perceive the world in the lens of MtG. To a certain degree, I do think that nature is fine the way it is, people are blank slates, and they need to grow in order to better understand nature and those around them, to harmonize who they are with the world around them. It is people that need to change to accept reality, not work to make reality a warped version of what they perceive it to be. But, then we can't agree on what is reality or not, so ... good luck there.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

That's Grixis.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I scored Green>Blue>White.

I can totally see how I perceive the world in the lens of MtG. To a certain degree, I do think that nature is fine the way it is, people are blank slates, and they need to grow in order to better understand nature and those around them, to harmonize who they are with the world around them. It is people that need to change to accept reality, not work to make reality a warped version of what they perceive it to be. But, then we can't agree on what is reality or not, so ... good luck there.
    I think most of what you've described is Green.

I'd say Blue/White is definitely about changing things in your image, even if it takes persistence and patience. The green is tossed in to make Bant in order to accommodate the creature's own opinion, and to change through strength. Rather, instead of "You will obey, because it is right", it's now "You will learn, because it is right".

5th Edition Homebrewery

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think most of what you've described is Green.

I'd say Blue/White is definitely about changing things in your image, even if it takes persistence and patience. The green is tossed in to make Bant in order to accommodate the creature's own opinion, and to change through strength. Rather, instead of "You will obey, because it is right", it's now "You will learn, because it is right".
    Perhaps. But I think all three blend together at a certain point. Assuming there is one universal truth that we all see a small fraction thereof, and it is our duty to take that unique perspective and grow into it (and beyond it), sharing it with others and being shared with in return... We change ourselves because we must, to do what is right, because that is how it must be. Those that don't cause undue suffering and harm, to themselves and, more often than not, to others.

But, then I acknowledge that some people don't like the assumption of a universal truth.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2019-06-21 at 05:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

According to the Quiz, I'm a Naya walker... which thinking about it is accurate.
    Oddly, though, my favorite color combo is Abzan.
    The scores were: W:177 U:155 B:127 R:181 G:219. So mainly Green, lacking in Black, and a somewhat even mix of the other three.

I honestly just want to have a good game, and I am perfectly happy with losing if I having fun playing.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

28. - Top - End - #58

I took the full 175-question quiz, and my results are:
    | White: 356 | Blue: 300 | Black: 99 | Red: 239 | Green: 330 |

I already knew that I'm primary white with strong blue and green tendencies, but I'm quite surprised that I got a higher score for green than blue. On most other quizzes I've taken, I've consistently gotten white/blue. Maybe this quiz has a slightly different bias. Or maybe my personal growth recently has taken me a bit away from blue and toward green. I have less of a need to know and have things figured out, and more of a focus on accepting things as they are with all the complexity and imperfections they entail. Also, this quiz states green's primary value as Harmony, which I always thought of as more a white value. I'm really big on pursuing harmony, so it would make sense that this particular quiz pushes me toward green.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I took the full 175-question quiz, and my results are:
    | White: 356 | Blue: 300 | Black: 99 | Red: 239 | Green: 330 |

I already knew that I'm primary white with strong blue and green tendencies, but I'm quite surprised that I got a higher score for green than blue. On most other quizzes I've taken, I've consistently gotten white/blue. Maybe this quiz has a slightly different bias. Or maybe my personal growth recently has taken me a bit away from blue and toward green. I have less of a need to know and have things figured out, and more of a focus on accepting things as they are with all the complexity and imperfections they entail. Also, this quiz states green's primary value as Harmony, which I always thought of as more a white value. I'm really big on pursuing harmony, so it would make sense that this particular quiz pushes me toward green.
    I'm pretty sure the quiz is strongly using this article as a basis which seems to be based a fair bit on more recent colour pie comments by WoTC and MR. And honestly it makes the differences a lot easier to understand than the older colour pie articles on the official MTG site. It's not that White doesn't do Harmony, but it's less important to white than pure order. It's actually helped me pin some things down myself TBH.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the quiz is strongly using this article as a basis which seems to be based a fair bit on more recent colour pie comments by WoTC and MR. And honestly it makes the differences a lot easier to understand than the older colour pie articles on the official MTG site. It's not that White doesn't do Harmony, but it's less important to white than pure order. It's actually helped me pin some things down myself TBH.
    That’s right. That’s why I can relate to BUG when using that site’s definitions.

BWU is a triad that focuses on Structure, Tribalism, and Growth mindset. I get the growth mindset—I want to become so powerful nobody would dare hurt me or bother me ever again, and so rich I can do anything I want, while being so healthy I can enjoy that wealth and power for decades. Structure and Tribalism bother me, though—I find to much structure stifling and limiting, and tribalism leads me to the question of “what tribe”. I would care enough about any children I had to share my success with them, but I otherwise see little reason to team up with any group since any group is inevitably composed of individuals belonging to other groups simultaneously, and some of those groups will be at odds with each other. My “group” at the largest is those helping me at the moment, and I expect those helping me at the moment to cut and run when something better comes along for them—and they may even backstab me in the process.

BUG is defined as Profanity, Truth-Seeking, and Growth-Mindset. Profanity is the belief nothing is sacred. Well, I agree with that, nothing is sacred, free will is an illusion and nothing last forever, and because both free will being an illusion and the inevitable destruction of everything due to entropy pretty much makes meaning and morality impossible, I don’t believe those concepts. We all play our role in the world, my role just so happens to be one of a predatory businessman/blasphemous scientist. Truth-seeking is important to me because I am hardwired due to my genes and upbringing to always ask why things are the way they are and to gain the clearest understanding of my world as I can—removing subjectivity whenever possible. I already told you why growth-mindset fits me.

Red/White to me seems to be well-intentioned extremist idealists who are hurting their own cause without even being aware of doing so.

I’m actually thinking of making a black/blue/green antagonist who faces a red/white antagonist in my animation series I’m making.