New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wait Wait Wait

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Wait Wait Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    And how are you supposed to roleplay if your character is deceased?
    They roleplay being dead, duh!

Kryptonite is a great idea. I think all of my campaigns will have a different one for each class and race. One gets rid of abilities, the other gets rid of hit points.

I think fax missed my sarcasm

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    They roleplay being dead, duh!

Kryptonite is a great idea. I think all of my campaigns will have a different one for each class and race. One gets rid of abilities, the other gets rid of hit points.

I think fax missed my sarcasm
    There are a plethora of monsters than have various draining abilities

Drain Skill
    Drain Life
    Drain Spell

etc....
    The Order of the Sacred Order is on! Feel free to watch if you like! PM if you are interested in joining, I've moved my game away from these moderators -
    Current DM: Me
    Current Campaign: B2 Keep on the Borderlands :D

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not saying the game should be safe. Far from it: a safe game is dull. But what I am saying is that having a DM shut down your character time after time by denying you your only class feature and essentially make you a fighter with a crappy HD and an insignificant attack bonus is...well, it makes the player feel like crap, and it makes the rest of the players feel like they're either insignificant weaklings (after all, the DM doesn't need to take such drastic measures with them), or that they're somehow blessed by the DM and can get away with anything.

Neither is conducive to a good gaming environment.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-11-07 at 08:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboz of Gurth View Post
    A player who has already abused the rules has attempted to destroy the fun.
    However, a Wizard can be more powerful than the rest of the party without any abuse of the rules at all. In that situation, what you are proposing is simply punishing the player based on what character class he chose to play in a game. Seriously, ponder how inappropriate that is if your goal is to have fun.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't really matter what edition of Psionics. ;D
    Have you read the psionic rules for 3.5? No really? Be honest? Please?
    A full psion is about the same power as say... a sorcerer.
    There are ways to abuse psionics (of Smack), but... there are ways to abuse nearly everything.

2.0/2.5 Psionics? Ugh, no thanks. There's your overpowered psionics.

Back on track to wizards:
    Constant anti magic field? BAD IDEA.
    As stated - every player should do something. Instead of thinking about the classes - think about the players.
    You start the session. You all gather around wherever.
    The DM points at player B.
    "Sorry, you can't do anything for a large portion of the game."
    <insert reaction here... come on... you can think of one... there's a million bad ways for this to turn out.>

Compare this to the rogue, with constructs or undead. At least the rogue can do -something-. Not incredible sneak attack damage, no. But they can at least hit the thing at all. What does a wizard do with nothing? Sits in the corner.

=edit=
    How I handle the issue of wizards in comparison to the rest of the party in overshadowment:
    I don't allow them. Voila. No risk taken.
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2007-11-07 at 08:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not saying the game should be safe. Far from it: a safe game is dull. But what I am saying is that having a DM shut down your character time after time by denying you your only class feature and essentially make you a fighter with a crappy HD and an insignificant attack bonus is...well, it makes the player feel like crap, and it makes the rest of the players feel like they're either insignificant weaklings (after all, the DM doesn't need to take such drastic measures with them), or that they're somehow blessed by the DM and can get away with anything.

Neither is conducive to a good gaming environment.
    Dude, go back and read my posts. I didn't say shut down someone's character every time they game. I said instill the fear that they can be shut down if they keep abusing their character and their power.

You only ever need to shut down a munchkin player once or twice at a critical moment for them to rethink how they play the game.

I'll let players play anything they want in my games, if they are willing to deal with the consequences, and quite frankly, I've only rarely ever had problems with a player who couldn't deal with consequences of his character or his actions.

And I did use the pronoun HIS specifically - never has a gal ever attempt to abuse her character in one of my games. It's only the adolescent juvenile or adolescent minded players who've ever tried to snowball me.
    The Order of the Sacred Order is on! Feel free to watch if you like! PM if you are interested in joining, I've moved my game away from these moderators -

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

And this quickly makes the game not fun for the players. And it's a game, right? So the purpose is to have fun?
    Alas, my dear Fax, what is described above (the post you quoted) is what a lot of people consider fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Translation [of "Stop Posting"]: I don't know how to argue against this, so I'm just going to tell you to shut up in attempt to make it look like the counterargument is so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to explain it in a suitably condescending tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    The proper way to run a fight at ECL90 gestalt is to line up and kick each other in the genitals. The first one who falls over loses and his character's soul is devoured by the winner.
    FREE video game and anime music!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    Have you read the psionic rules for 3.5? No really? Be honest? Please?
    Ok not 3.5 But I did read the ones for 3.0 and I did notice some of the same issues that croped up with 3.0 as in 2nd ed. In either case, it only takes a slight nudge to make psionicists feel fear.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, go back and read my posts. I didn't say shut down someone's character every time they game. I said instill the fear that they can be shut down if they keep abusing their character and their power.

You only ever need to shut down a munchkin player once or twice at a critical moment for them to rethink how they play the game.
    The issues with this are:
    Wizards don't have to be abused or munchkinned in order to overshadow nearly everyone.

10. - Top - End - #40

And I did use the pronoun HIS specifically - never has a gal ever attempt to abuse her character in one of my games. It's only the adolescent juvenile or adolescent minded players who've ever tried to snowball me.
    Being juvenile is not in any way a male trait. Women do it too.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Right, because fear is a great tool to use to display your dominance as DM. A DM shouldn't be a tyrant. They should, rather, be a guide. Also, stop calling me "dude" and "bro": I am neither.

I think that prevention is a better method than denial, really. I make my players approve every step their character build takes, from feat selection to spell selection, from base class choice to prestige class choice. If I see the cheese warning (and I most often do because I know the game that well), then I tell them to try something else. If I somehow miss the cheese factor, then I make it clear at the beginning of the game that I reserve the right to ask them to change their character at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by EndgamerAzari View Post
    Alas, my dear Fax, what is described above (the post you quoted) is what a lot of people consider fun.
    What a sad state of affairs we are in then.

12. - Top - End - #42

Ok not 3.5 But I did read the ones for 3.0 and I did notice some of the same issues that croped up with 3.0 as in 2nd ed. In either case, it only takes a slight nudge to make psionicists feel fear.
    3.5 Psionics is dramatically different from 3.0.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

3.5 psionics is absoballylutely nothing like 3.0 psionics. Nothing like.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

3.0 and 3.5 psionics are a world apart.

The wizard problem is this: in order for a wizard not to be game-bendingly powerful, and leave most players and monsters in the dust, the player has to make a lot of bad decisions. They have to try not to be amazingly powerful. If you screw over a player for not purposefully screwing up their character, then that's poor gaming. Someone isn't a munchkin for choosing to play a wizard competently.
    Many thanks to JasonDoomsblade for the avatar.

Well done. You found this secret part of my signature. Does it make you feel like a big man?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

The issues with this are:
    Wizards don't have to be abused or munchkinned in order to overshadow nearly everyone.
    If the player is not a munchkin and is NOT abusing his power, then it's 100% DM fault for not making balanced encounters for all the classes.

Right, because fear is a great tool to use to display your dominance as DM. A DM shouldn't be a tyrant. They should, rather, be a guide. Also, stop calling me "dude" and "bro": I am neither.
    Fear is what keeps you from cossing the middle of an intersection without looking both ways.

Fear is what keeps you from sticking your hand into the fire.

Fear is what keeps you alive.

Players forget to properly play fear. They think because it's just a piece of paper, there is no fear. They need to be reminded that they fear for the wellbeing of their character. By utilizing fear correctly, you can give your players a rush of enjoyment and satisfaction. It's clear however, you've never experienced this.

With the attitude you've given me, Fax, I'll send your comments to my committee for review to determine how I should address you, dude.

I think that prevention is a better method than denial, really. I make my players approve every step their character build takes, from feat selection to spell selection, from base class choice to prestige class choice. If I see the cheese warning (and I most often do because I know the game that well), then I tell them to try something else. If I somehow miss the cheese factor, then I make it clear at the beginning of the game that I reserve the right to ask them to change their character at any time.
    You just called me a tyrant for using fear in my campaigns, and then brag about "cherry picking" feats and forcing your players to follow a communistic chain of approvals to make their characters.

What a sad state of affairs we are in then.

It isn't a sad state of affairs. That's how this game was handled from its very inception. If you want to be coddled and want to treat your players the same way, then that's your choice. But it's a choice that does break from even the very origin of Dungeons and Dragons, and in fact, all board games ever produced from ages 8 and up.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overlard View Post
    3.0 and 3.5 psionics are a world apart.
    ok I did not know this.

srry ^_^

The wizard problem is this: in order for a wizard not to be game-bendingly powerful, and leave most players and monsters in the dust, the player has to make a lot of bad decisions. They have to try not to be amazingly powerful. If you screw over a player for not purposefully screwing up their character, then that's poor gaming. Someone isn't a munchkin for choosing to play a wizard competently.

I am not arguing against playing a wizard competently, but I am saying there are ways to handle over powered wizards, and there are ways to handle munchkinning wizards. Adjust the severity as necessarry.
    Last edited by Dalboz of Gurth; 2007-11-07 at 08:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

That... that's kind of insulting.

I've personally optimized - and even played a planar shepherd, a fiend of possession, and other generally over powered classes (including strict sorcerer, intended on power abuse - I refuse to play 3.5 wizards before you ask) - just to teach my GM a lesson.
    I know my 6th eldest sister has also optimized -atleast- her rogue for her and her husband games (and probably many more, they living 2000 miles away means I don't see their games much).

Optimization: It's not sexist.

Aside... lets take some examples of 'abuse'.
    A cold oriented wizard. Completely for RP reasons. Loves the snow, lives the snow. Took a LA +6 race that was even arctic. Completely unoptimized.
    Takes shivering touch. It's cold, completely in character.

ECL 17 (level 6 wizard, level 5 frost mage, 6 levels into LA)
    Maximize shivering touches the dragon.
    Dragon dies.

That's 3 things used. Shivering touch. Maximize. Spellcasting progression.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

With the attitude you've given me, Fax, I'll send your comments to my committee for review to determine how I should address you, dude.
    Look babe, maybe you should ask for a review on gender too.
    Many thanks to JasonDoomsblade for the avatar.

Well done. You found this secret part of my signature. Does it make you feel like a big man?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

That... that's kind of insulting.

I've personally optimized - and even played a planar shepherd, a fiend of possession, and other generally over powered classes (including strict sorcerer, intended on power abuse - I refuse to play 3.5 wizards before you ask) - just to teach my GM a lesson.
    I know my 6th eldest sister has also optimized -atleast- her rogue for her and her husband games (and probably many more, they living 2000 miles away means I don't see their games much).

Optimization: It's not sexist.

I'm a guy. I was not being sexist against my own gender. I'm just stating a fact. No woman, or girl, has ever tried to snowball me in an AD&D game. The only people who have tried to snowball me are very juvenile. Almost all the males in my games have acted mature enough they don't snowball me. I hope this cleared up the misconception of my statement.

Aside... lets take some examples of 'abuse'.
    A cold oriented wizard. Completely for RP reasons. Loves the snow, lives the snow. Took a LA +6 race that was even arctic. Completely unoptimized.
    Takes shivering touch. It's cold, completely in character.

ECL 17 (level 6 wizard, level 5 frost mage, 6 levels into LA)
    Maximize shivering touches the dragon.
    Dragon dies.

That's 3 things used. Shivering touch. Maximize. Spellcasting progression.
    A DM should know this.

Here are ways to prevent:

Prevent touch damage. Have the dragon recognize that the character is an Ice Wizard/Mage. Have the dragon cast a spell: protection from cold or some other like spell, or shield of spell protection, whatever is within the dragon's spell casting ability.

Send off several warnings, by having the dragon use ranged attacks.

Then, if the caracter ignores your wanring and decides to walk up to the dragon, have the Dragon step on him and squish him like a bug: crushing damage against mages is usually if not always fatal. Feel free to kill the dragon, but make it a very costly victory for the mage.

Make it clear to the player that stupid strategies like that need to be avoided for fear of their life.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

If the player is not a munchkin and is NOT abusing his power, then it's 100% DM fault for not making balanced encounters for all the classes.
    False. The wizard class is built in such a way that it is significantly more powerful when poorly built than nearly any other class when they are well-built.

Fear is what keeps you from cossing the middle of an intersection without looking both ways.

Fear is what keeps you from sticking your hand into the fire.

Fear is what keeps you alive.

Players forget to properly play fear. They think because it's just a piece of paper, there is no fear. They need to be reminded that they fear for the wellbeing of their character. By utilizing fear correctly, you can give your players a rush of enjoyment and satisfaction. It's clear however, you've never experienced this.
    There's a difference between creating fear within the bounds of the game and creating fear outside of those bounds.

You just called me a tyrant for using fear in my campaigns, and then brag about "cherry picking" feats and forcing your players to follow a communistic chain of approvals to make their characters.
    I didn't brag about anything: I demonstrated what I have done to prevent munchkinry. And frankly, I don't ban much of anything except the obvious Roads To Brokenness. My players understand this, are mature about it, and make decisions that won't cause me to have to ask them to change their character.

It isn't a sad state of affairs. That's how this game was handled from its very inception. If you want to be coddled and want to treat your players the same way, then that's your choice. But it's a choice that does break from even the very origin of Dungeons and Dragons, and in fact, all board games ever produced from ages 8 and up.
    There is absolutely no reason that the game should exclude a player at any given time, and what you're saying is just that: exclusion.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Here are ways to prevent:

Prevent touch damage. Have the dragon recognize that the character is an Ice Wizard/Mage. Have the dragon cast a spell: protection from cold or some other like spell, or shield of spell protection, whatever is within the dragon's spell casting ability.

Send off several warnings, by having the dragon use ranged attacks.

Then, if the caracter ignores your wanring and decides to walk up to the dragon, have the Dragon step on him and squish him like a bug: crushing damage against mages is usually if not always fatal. Feel free to kill the dragon, but make it a very costly victory for the mage.

Make it clear to the player that stupid strategies like that need to be avoided for fear of their life.
    So you are advocating breaking the rules in favor of the monsters merely because you don't like what a player is doing?

22. - Top - End - #52

In our next campaign, my group has already decided: no arcane magic. There will be divine magic and psionics.
    But on-topic, if you want to lessen the effect of spellcasters, well, Beholders and other creatures that generate AMF effects are always useful for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Blossom View Post
    And then you wrote about it on your livejournal, dyed your hair black and started taking warlock levels.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

This is what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboz of Gurth
    This is what you said:
    False. The wizard class is built in such a way that it is significantly more powerful when poorly built than nearly any other class when they are well-built.
    If you want to keep arguing that wizards are so over powered that there's nothing a DM can do to learn how to adjust the encounters, then maybe you and everyone else who agrees with that sentiment needs to stop allowing wizards or needs to stop playing 3rd edition

There's a difference between creating fear within the bounds of the game and creating fear outside of those bounds.
    I always create my fear within the bounds of the game. Are you suggesting I pick up a chainsaw and pretend to be Jason? If not then accept the fact I am talking about the bounds of the game.

I didn't brag about anything: I demonstrated what I have done to prevent munchkinry. And frankly, I don't ban much of anything except the obvious Roads To Brokenness. My players understand this, are mature about it, and make decisions that won't cause me to have to ask them to change their character.
    See that's the main key difference in my eyes between being a veteran DM and being a micro-manager: A veteran DM knows how to handle any character any time anywhere. It is against my person ethics to ever consider a DM who forces his players into a cookie cutter of what he or she deems an appropriate group choice.

But, if you have fun playing that way, all the more power to you. Just take now that I will NEVER advise ANYONE to play in such a manner.

There is absolutely no reason that the game should exclude a player at any given time, and what you're saying is just that: exclusion.
    No, actually I'm not talking about exclusion. And I'd kindly like you to stop such poorly researched accusations, especially after you brag about micromanaging your characters. It's more than irritating. Start reading my posts before you respond with those accusations.

The only exclusion I see here is you talking about how you force your players to play a certain way through a micro managed approval system.
    Last edited by Dalboz of Gurth; 2007-11-07 at 08:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

So you are advocating breaking the rules in favor of the monsters merely because you don't like what a player is doing?
    I didn't suggest breaking any rules. If you knew how to play your monsters, you'd know that.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboz of Gurth
    I guarantee you, so many of these problems I keep reading about didn't exist in 2nd edition.
    I think this may be a large part of your problem with 3rd edition. If your opinions are based upon messageboard discussions on the system, you're bound to come away with a skewed viewpooint. Posters here aren't interested in what works. Everything should work; it's just not that interesting. So we discuss and bicker over the flaws--the Save-or-Die spellcasters, the Nova-ing Wizards and the powers of CoDzilla.

...And 2nd edition had just as many problems, many the same (Example? Wizards squishing everyhing else at high levels--the primary fault of D&D v3.5). It's a different game though, with different mechanics, so the specifics are bound to change.
    Last edited by Temp; 2007-11-07 at 10:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't suggest breaking any rules. If you knew how to play your monsters, you'd know that.
    Shivering touch deals Dexterity damage, enough to take a dragon down to 0 Dexterity and thereby paralyze them. You recommend making the dragon capable of taking one of these, crushing the wizard, and then continuing on. It is physically impossible short of failing to pass spell resistance for a dragon to survive a maximized shivering touch spell.

So, in essence, what you are advocating is in fact breaking the rules.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    I think this may be a large part of your problem. People aren't interested in what works. Everything should work. It's just not that interesting. The flaws are discussed often--save-or-die wizards and CoDzilla's powers for instance.

And 2nd edition had just as many flaws, many the same (Example? Wizards squishing everyhing else at high levels--the main problem discussed here about 3.5)
    Yeah that high level wizard squishing everything at high levels, just doesn't happen in 2nd edition unless you're given the keys to the city by a lax DM.

However I am beginning to see some of the major issues with 3e wizards. But nothing that can't be overcome by a DM who has read his rulebooks from cover to cover.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you had ever DM'd or played 3.5 or 2e you would know this is false.
    Last edited by Goumindong; 2007-11-07 at 08:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex12 View Post
    In our next campaign, my group has already decided: no arcane magic. There will be divine magic and psionics.
    But on-topic, if you want to lessen the effect of spellcasters, well, Beholders and other creatures that generate AMF effects are always useful for that.
    Uhhh, Ego Whip is ten times more broken than Shivering Touch, though.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.