New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fullmetal Alchemist: The System [3.5ish]

There's been quite a few homebrews for the d20 system out there that tried to recreate the Fullmetal Alchemist universe, with its alchemy and homunculi and Gate of Truth, but none of them have done it in a format that really captured the fun of the series, nor the feeling. Most of it was throwing together spellcasting or manifesting classes that focused on transmutation spells, but that's nowhere near the way that alchemy in the Fullmetal Alchemist universe works.

For a number of years I have been attempting to create my own system, one which more effectively represented the complexity and depth of the Fullmetal Alchemist, and this here will be my magnum opus of the depth. It's all my work on the system thus far, thrown out here for all others to see and critique.

To clarify, I will be attempting to create a ruleset for playing in a Fullmetal Alchemist-themed, or at least inspired, d20 game. I'm going to have rules for Alchemy, Homunculi, and other aspects of the setting. This is not a reflavoring: this is a new creation to try and catch the fun of the show. Also to clarify, I'm using the manga/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood as my basis, both because I like it better and because I think it has more interesting aspects to it. Most of this should work for the original anime as well, but if it doesn't, well, I'm sure alterations shouldn't be too difficult.

Also to clarify, this document will contain all sorts of spoilers, because I made sure to research my information front to back before making the system. It's impossible to accurately understand the system without knowledge of the story, so I apologize in advance. Once again, so people know, THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK.

ALCHEMY
    The core of Fullmetal Alchemist is that of alchemy, the process by which alchemists are able to transmute one substance into another. But, while informed by scientific notes in the show, something must be made clear: alchemy in Fullmetal Alchemist only barely resembles alchemy from history, and further, they use the term "transmutation" completely incorrectly. It would be more accurate to call this "alchemy" a kind of mysticism, or magic, than it would be to call it alchemy.

Why is this? Well, first off, alchemy in the real world was all about quasi-chemical means of changing one substance into another, of purifying objects (to make the fabled Philosopher's Stone), and also embodied a spiritual aspect, that of purifying oneself to achieve immortality.

In Fullmetal Alchemist, alchemy is the process of changing the shape of one object into another, mostly, using energy gathered from somewhere (there is a difference between Western and Eastern alchemy, in that Western alchemy draws on the energy produced by tectonic movement, whereas Eastern alchemy draws on what is known as the "Veins of the Dragon," but which essentially equates to drawing on the energy naturally flowing through the earth, much like the concept of ley lines).

Transmutation in the real world is literally the process of changing one element into another, such as when a radioactive material breaks down and atomically becomes another element. This is specifically not allowed in the alchemy of Fullmetal Alchemist, despite it being called transmutation. Rather, chemical bonds can be broken and formed, allowing someone to, say, break down dynamite into ammonia and other waste material. This is not literally changing one element into another, but is rather the breakdown of the chemical makeup of other compounds into more basic aspects.

The only time this has been done differently in Fullmetal Alchemist is when Edward created gold out of coal and the fact that the law exists in Amestris to not create gold, for fear of economic collapse. I take this to mean that some forms of alchemy do exist which allow for literal transmutation, but that they are difficult, or perhaps are quite dangerous. Just as literal transmutation exists in the real world (we've successfully created gold out of platinum), it likely exists in the Fullmetal Alchemist world as well. But, again, it's likely dangerous (the gold made from platinum was radioactive and decayed within a few seconds, all the while producing dangerous radioactive rays).

I cover all of these aspects first to show something right away: science has to be used to inform the use of this system, but it cannot be understood completely. This is a system inspired by an anime: there are going to be logical and scientific problems with it. But, for the sake of fun, I'm willing to let those slide. I'll point them out and explain my reasoning when I notice them, but I encourage people to ask about aspects I don't cover, so I can more fully realize the system.

I will be using the terms used in the anime here, but feel free to change them if you end up using this system. I probably will when I use it.

TRANSMUTATION
    The process of transmutation in Fullmetal Alchemist works like this: an alchemist draws a circle (which can be drawn with chalk, etched in the ground, made from a shadow; anything really, so long as it is present in some way), fills the circle with a variety of lines, symbols, words and the like, and then focuses energy through it. Unless Eastern alchemy is being used, the circle must be drawn on the substance to be transmuted, or the object to be transmuted must be placed within the circle (Eastern alchemy gets around this by allowing for the possibility of one circle to connect to another, allowing for some alchemy to be performed over a distance).

However, there are ways around this. For instance, in the most obvious case present in the anime, Edward (as well as several other characters later on, including his brother and his teacher) are able to get away with not drawing circles but instead can simply clap their hands together, symbolically forming a circle with their arms and focusing the energy like that.

This brings up a very important point for alchemy in this system: everything is a symbol. I originally thought that the circles themselves were something like an equation, specifying the way the energy moved and how the transmutation would take place. I, at the time, believed that anyone could figure out exactly what a transmutation circle would accomplish simply by looking at it. It turns out this is incorrect.

Take a look at this transmutation circle:

Spoiler
    Show

This is, as any fan of the show will tell you, the transmutation circle present on Roy Mustang's gloves. Now, there is quite a bit of actual alchemical symbolism in the gloves. The two triangles on the top pointing downward are the symbol of the element of Earth. The two triangles which point upwards meeting the symbols for Earth are their opposite, namely the symbols for Air. Additionally, the single triangle in the center is that of Fire. Furthermore, a stylized flame is pictured at the top, and a lizard, specifically a representation of a salamander (the elemental creature associated with fire), is pictured at the bottom.

All of these combine together to give Roy the ability to increase the density of oxygen in the air surrounding him, allowing him to ignite it with his gloves, which are made of a material that produces a spark when rubbed together. Hence, it looks like he snaps his fingers and makes fire.

But, here's where things get tricky. Roy learned this from his master, who perfected the technique and tattooed it onto his daughter, Riza's, back. The tattoo was the culmination of his research, and Roy eventually burned the important parts of the tattoo off of Riza's back, so no one else could get the secret. He also altered the original symbols into the one featured on his gloves. Yet, despite the fact that many people have seen his gloves, no one has ever copied him. Why?

The answer is that the circle itself is not enough. The reason that alchemy in Fullmetal Alchemist is more like mysticism is because the circles are important, but what is almost more important is the knowledge the alchemist employing the circle has in regard to the circle. Roy can use his gloves because he understands the theories behind what the symbols on his gloves do, but someone who didn't understand couldn't do the same. Those who can perform alchemy without a circle, like Edward, bypass the need for a circle by making a symbolic circle and "filling in the details" in their heads, but that only works for simple matters. For more complex transmutations, such as human transmutations, or binding a soul to a set of armor, a circle is still used.

This also explains why some people cannot use alchemy. If the theories behind alchemy are not understood, then the ability to gather and direct the energies effectively will escape them.

However...
    This is not to say that the circles are unimportant. Indeed, they're one of my favorite parts of the entire anime. Transmutation circles are some of the most intricate and fun parts of the alchemy system central to the show, and understanding them allows you to create your own awesome circles. I highly advise DMs who use this system to grant rewards for players drawing their own circles, especially if they draw them well and use actual knowledge. Personally, I would grant bonuses to the actual checks, but do what you feel is best.

THE SYSTEM
    Let's get onto the crunch of this system. Really, it's a terribly simple system, but it allows for the variability and fun of the anime, while also preserving game balance. I caution anyone intending to use this, however, that it will require many, many judgment calls on the part of the DM to effectively make use of this system. Basic familiarity with a wide range of subjects will only make this system easier to use.

ADDITIONS & CHANGES
    This system adds the Transmutation and Knowledge (Alchemy) skills to the d20 system. Transmutation is used to perform alchemy and Knowledge (Alchemy) is used to understand the theories and concepts surrounding alchemy. Additionally, other Knowledge skills can now be used to recognize the compositions of other materials, which aids in the use of the Transmutation skill.

The Process
    The process of transmutation takes three steps: Analysis, Deconstruction and Reconstruction. For the purposes of this system, Deconstruction and Reconstruction occur simultaneously.

When beginning a transmutation, first the alchemist must recognize what they are attempting to transmute, and decide what they're attempting to transmute it into. For instance, if Alphonse decided he was going to change a metal bar into a spear, he would first need to recognize what metal the bar was made of, then how he would have to change the composition of the bar to allow it to act like a spear.

Following his understanding of what he needs to do, he would have to craft a transmutation circle to perform the intended action. He would need to either draw the circle on the bar, or draw it on a surface and then place the bar on top of it, in order for it to properly work. The actual act of the transmutation composes the Deconstruction and Reconstruction steps, where the matter is broken down and then rebuilt according to what Alphonse desired.

Transmutation
    Performing a transmutation requires a Full-Round Action, to create the transmutation circle. Circles can be prepared ahead of time, but they can only be applied to whatever they were specifically crafted for, and so most usually can only be used on simple transmutations (this will be covered in more detail later).

The alchemist is allowed a Knowledge check of the appropriate type to determine what the material they are transmuting is made of, and whether or not the transmutation they are performing is possible or not (this can provide the DCs of the transmutation check) before performing the transmutation as a Swift action.

Spending extra time crafting a transmutation circle allows for more specific and complex circles to be made. For every minute spent crafting a circle, the alchemist gains a +2 bonus to the Transmutation check.

The DC of a transmutation is determined based on the complexity of the original object and the complexity of the desired object. Objects are rated on a scale of 1 to 7 in terms of complexity, each corresponding to a general level of atomic structure and chemical composition. A simple chart is given below.

{table]Complexity Level|Example Object
    1|Pure Metals (such as transmuting an iron pipe into an iron sword)
    2|Minerals (such as transmuting a rock into another shape), Alloys (such as transmuting copper and tin into bronze)
    3|Crystals (such as transmuting a sapphire into a ruby)
    4|Cardboard (also includes other nonliving, organic-based material, like cloth)
    5|Tissue (such as transmuting a wound close), Bark (also includes other tough, fibrous plant material)
    6|Bones (also includes other hard, living organic material), leaves (also includes other soft, living organic plant material)
    7|Nerves (also includes other highly specialized, small organic materials, such as organs)[/table]
    Now, obviously this list is woefully incomplete and only gives the barest of ideas as to what level of complexity a given object would possess, but that's all it's meant to do: give an idea. Only a rough estimate of the complexity of any given object is required to assign it a complexity level, and that allows the DM to figure out the DC of a given transmutation.

After determining the complexity level of the original object and the desired object, the DM multiplies the two complexity levels together, then adds 10 to that. So, if Alphonse is attempting to transmute a metal pipe into a metal sword, the DM would first make a judgment call about what the metal pipe is composed of. Likely, it is an alloy of some form, so she assigns it a complexity level of 2. Since all Alphonse is doing is transmuting it from one shape to another, the complexity is very simple; the original object and the new object are both the same complexity level. This means that, multiplied together, it equals 4. Adding 10 to that brings the DC up to 14, meaning that Alphonse would need to succeed on a DC 14 Transmutation check to successfully change the pipe into a sword.

But, there are other factors to take into account. First off, how useful the sword is is based on other traits Alphonse possesses. While the actual transmutation is only a single Transmutation check, Alphonse would also need to succeed on a successful Craft (Blacksmith) check to make the sword look and work as intended. Indeed, to perform any specific transformation of one shape into another, the alchemist must make a successful Craft check relating to it; otherwise the transmuted object will end up not appearing as it should.

This is particularly important when making organic transmutations, as a failed check could end up doing more harm than good. If attempting to use a transmutation to heal another person, the alchemist must make a Heal check at the same time; success means that the alchemist as able to heal some of the wounds. Again, doing anything more than simply closing a wound requires some high checks (as setting bones or healing organs are complexity levels 6 and 7 respectively), but it is possible. The Craft or Heal check which accompanies the Transmutation check DC is equal to the DC to normally craft the object or heal the person, or else is equal to the Transmutation check if no other DC is available.

The Law of Equivalent Exchange
    Besides additional checks, performing a transmutation also requires a sufficient amount of material to perform a given transmutation. It's simply not possible to change a handgun into a battleaxe; the mass between the two are too far apart.

This is, again, mostly a judgment call based on the DM, but sufficient mass should always be considered when attempting a given transmutation. Making stone spikes appear out of the ground is fairly simple, but craters will be formed around the spikes, as the ground collapses to form a point. Likewise, making a bridge across a canyon or a tower to propel oneself upwards requires mass from the surrounding area, which might destabilize buildings, destroy streets, or otherwise damage the environment.

In addition, transmutations carried out on the wrong material will automatically fail. If an alchemist thinks he's fighting against someone using an iron sword and makes a transmutation circle to destroy said sword, but then it turns out the sword is made of mithral, the transmutation simply will not work. The circle was constructed to deal with iron; since it's not iron, it's useless.

Finally, consider increasing the DC of transmutations to create extremely complex devices. Making a sword might not be too bad, requiring only knowledge of how a sword is made (heating and oxidizing of metal, mixing of alloys, &c), but making a handgun is significantly more intricate, requiring a knowledge of the parts included, how they interact and are set up, and the like. Without the knowledge to back it up, some transmutations will simply make lookalikes that don't actually work.

Transmuting the Immaterial
    One of the key ideas in Fullmetal Alchemist is the idea that some immaterial things can be transmuted, namely souls. Edward attaches Alphonse's soul to a suit of armor, many alchemists have produced philosopher stones over the course of history from the souls of living humans, and the like. This is somewhat difficult to represent in game terms, but I treat it as such:

Levels of complexity exist above 7. Those above 7 are the truly intricate physical objects, but also are immaterial and magical substances. It is possible for an alchemist to transfer a magical effect from one object to another, or to bind a soul to an object, but doing so is immensely difficult. Transfixing a soul possesses a DC of at least 66 (a soul in a mortal body is considered to have a complexity level of 8, while a soul in a simpler body is considered to have a complexity rating of 7, thus [8 x 7] + 10 = 66), and changing or moving magical effects are even higher. So, possible? Yes. Likely? No.

LIVING ARMOR
    Moving right along, one of everyone's favorite subjects when dealing with Fullmetal Alchemist is that of the "living dolls," or "living armor." Alphonse Elric is the most well known of these, being a suit of armor which has a soul transfixed to it through alchemy, but there are other examples. Barry the Chopper, Slicer, the Immortal Army; these all are examples of some kind of nonliving object which has a soul affixed to it.

Objects affixed as such move as if alive. In many ways, they act as animated objects, moving in ways they simply shouldn't be able to, all the while possessing an awareness and consciousness of another soul. It's implied, but never confirmed, that artificial souls can be created and attached in this was, but no way of doing so was ever explained.

There are several things to note about souls affixed in this way. One, they eventually are rejected by the body. It can take a long time, sometimes years, for this to occur, but it does eventually happen. For a soul attached to a living body, this manifests as the body itself rotting while alive. For a nonliving body, this manifests simply as a loss of consciousness for the body.

Two, no matter the object in which the soul is affixed, it possesses some form of preternatural awareness. This appears to be some kind of pseudo-sight, as darkness can still blind creatures in this way, but it does not require any form of simulacrum of a face in order to work. As seen when Alphonse takes off his head, or in the very extreme case of Barry the Chopper being almost completely dismembered, the seal itself acts as a focus for awareness. Alphonse can "see" from his seal, and Barry the Chopper was not only aware that his body was coming over to him (this being when he was a single strip of metal with a seal on it), but was even able of calling out in distress as his body neared and wiped the seal off.

Three, objects unattached to the main body of the seal become lifeless. When Alphonse takes off his head, it no longer is how he sees, and when his legs are cut off he can no longer animate them. Even with his feet cut off, he can move his legs, but he finds it difficult to stand on his stubs. What exactly counts as "attaching" in terms of allowing an object to be animated is unclear, but some clues exist. Obviously, Alphonse's head becomes attached when it is placed in its proper place on top of his body. Likewise, when his limbs and torso are attached he can move them, but when he is dismantled he no longer can animate them. In all cases, so long as he is conscious, he is able to speak. And, since he is always conscious unless his soul has been drawn back to the Other Side, he is therefore always aware.

Fourth, souls can be attached to living beings where they don't belong. Alphonse, when his body was deconstructed as a child, ended up appearing inside the body of his "mother," but was quickly rejected. Likewise, some form of animal soul was placed inside of Barry the Chopper's body, though it caused it to rot while it resided there. Souls affixed in such a way appear to retain their natural psyche, but gain control of the body as is normal for it.

Fifth, in a strange turn of events, bodies without a soul apparently gain some form of psyche all their own. While an unusual event itself, Alphonse's body, left on the other side of the Gate of Truth, ended up speaking to him, and appeared to possess its own intelligence and mind separate from Alphonse. This psyche was likewise apparently completely overwritten when Alphonse's soul returned to the body (though, whether this was morally right or wrong is further muddled when it becomes known that his body apparently deeply desired to be reunited with its soul, meaning that the intelligence might exist solely for the purpose of reuniting body and soul).

With all this coming together, it becomes clear that the Living Dolls are really just specialized animated objects with consciousness. In pretty much all ways, I treat them as animated objects with roleplaying quirks. Most of the interesting aspects related to them provide no real mechanical changes.

HOMUNCULI
    Homunculi are a strange thing in the Fullmetal Alchemist universe. First things first, there are eight Homunculi, all generated from a single, original being. Referred to as Father, his creation method is unknown, but it is known that the blood of a human (Van Hohenheim) was used to create him. Originally a tiny orb of darkness in a flask, he eventually performed a powerful transmutation effect and turned himself into a humanoid form, a living philosopher's stone. It was as this form that he created the seven other Homunculi, each of which was itself unique.

Apparently, each of the other Homunculi had three distinct parts to it. First, each one keyed up with one of the Seven Deadly Sins, as Father was attempting to purge himself of his human emotions in an attempt to become more godlike. Second, each Homunculi possessed some form of supernatural power, apparently possible due to highly specialized alchemy, which Father specifically created and gave to each of them. Third, each Homunculi has a base of a philosopher's stone, which not only serves as its core, but allows it to regenerate constantly, meaning that the only way to kill it is to completely drain the stone at its core.

Other things known about the Homunculi are that they are literally made from Father's flesh, their philosopher's stones being originally part of the stone which composes Father's. Further, Father can stick one of his philosopher's stones into the body of a real human, which causes it to be deconstructed and reconstructed repeatedly, until the body accepts the philosopher's stone or rejects it, which ultimately either kills the human or results in the human's soul being absorbed by the philosopher's stone and the Homunculus' personality taking over (though, there are some cases, such as Ling, who had enough force of will for their soul to avoid being consumed by the philosopher's stone).

In game terms, Homunculi really have no general traits. They're the epitome of human capability in most ways (though some, such as Sloth, are obviously quite superhuman in certain respects), possess some kind of specific supernatural ability, and are generally governed by one specific emotion (while the Seven Deadly Sins were used in the canon, there is nothing to suggest that these seven need be the only ones, and in fact there is evidence that a creature of Father's caliber could easily be capable of separating other emotions off from him or herself to creature other types of Homunculi).

The way I work them is by making a character that sounds cool in my head, then just filling out the traits. There really is no template for this kind of creature; each Homunculi is unique and deserves to be treated as such.

THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
    Again, a key concept in Fullmetal Alchemist, but also in real alchemy, is that of the Philosopher's Stone. No creation such as this would be complete without discussing it.

In the real world, alchemy treated the philosopher's stone as a perfect substance, a way of attaining immortality, of turning lead into gold (itself considered the perfect metal), and a variety of other amazing effects.

In a similar vein, the philosopher's stone in Fullmetal Alchemist is a substance made from living human souls, forced together into a material form. They can be consumed to allow alchemy without any form of circle (as seen by Hohenheim, Father, Father Cornello, and others), they can allow an alchemist to ignore the law of Equivalent Exchange (in a way; really what is actually being done is a soul in the stone is being sacrificed, which is worth more than most physical objects, so the law appears to be violated), and they can grant immortality (if somehow integrated with the body). They also increase the ability of any alchemist who uses them, allowing them to achieve deeds they simply couldn't otherwise.

It's difficult to really represent the philosopher's stone in game terms without basically treating it as an artifact. I would give it the following abilities (I'll come back and clean this up eventually:

+20 bonus to Transmutation checks, allow for an alchemist to ignore the Law of Equivalent Exchange a certain number of times (I'd probably give it a certain number of charges), and grant the ability to use alchemy without using a circle, but doing so would consume a charge. I'd also allow a sufficiently skilled alchemist to "recharge" it by transmuting additional souls into the stone. Obviously this would be a rather taboo effect, so doing so would be looked down upon as despicable by pretty much everyone.

CHIMERAS
    Chimeras in Fullmetal Alchemist are a term given to any creature which is created by merging two separate beings into one. Most often this is accomplished by mixing two or more animals together (as seen right in the beginning of the anime in Lior, where a lion-lizard hybrid chimera attacked Edward), but it is also quite common to see human-animal hybrids, such as most of Greed's gang is comprised of.

Once again, there really is no set information that can be used to create a template for this type of chimera. Most often, it seems that the chimera ends up taking on the capabilities of both its original creatures, but it also appears that the alchemist fusing the two has some control over the fusion process. It is also true that human chimeras retain their memories post-chimerization, causing some problems for them.

There seems to be three different types of chimeras. The first are animal-animal chimeras. These are animalistic, often possessing of extreme aggression (though, whether or not this is inherent or intentionally included is unclear), and generally seem extremely obedient (again, possibly because that was specifically included). They are often very powerful, possessing of the useful traits of the donor animals, and set as guard-dogs. It's also unclear whether or not two is the limit of fusing animals together or if it would be possible to mix more in.

The second type of chimeras are the animal-human hybrids. I separate these from human-animal hybrids because of what they are capable of. Animal-human hybrids are those like Shou Tucker's wife and daughter, where they appear mostly animal-like but possess human-like intelligence, as well as speech and some of the memories of their human forms.

Human-animal hybrids are those chimeras which are basically human, but possess some animal-like traits. It appears that this classification can actually be further broken down, because some Human-animal chimeras are monster-like in appearance, such as Bido, one of Greed's chimeras, who was mixed with a gecko and possessed strange looking, hairless skin, as well as a large tail, but other human-animal chimeras are basically human in appearance, such as Dolcetto, who was mixed with a dog, granting him great speed and a sense of smell far beyond the norm.

But, more than that, some of the human-animal chimeras are capable of going through some form of metamorphosis from a completely human appearance to a highly monstrous appearance, and then back again. While they retain superhuman resilience in both forms, they are much more capable while in their monstrous form. Examples of this are Greed's companion Roa as well as the four chimeras Kimblee brought with him, Darius, Heinkel, Jerso and Zampano.

What we end up with is a set of creatures all grouped under the heading of chimera but which are only really similar in that they were all mixed with some other creature. In terms of traits, it appears that there are just general size and ability score increases, as well as the capabilities of the two forms combined. Honestly, they really look like lycanthropes and tantric creatures. I'm once again of the opinion that making a template for this would be insanely difficult to do accurately, and so I say it would be easier to just add abilities that seem prominent to those characters you enjoy.

I also want to put it out there that, based on the fact that memories are retained post-fusion, but that the instincts of the animals can be mixed in as well, it would seem possible to make a human-human chimera, which would mix the memories of the two together. Nothing like that appears in the anime itself, but it never was specifically decried either.

OTHER INFORMATION
    Honestly, I think that covers pretty much everything I wanted to cover. If I'm missing anything, I'll be sure to add it in when I become aware of it. I realize this is actually a hell of a lot of fluff more than crunch, but I firmly believe that this is a system that could only exist in such a way to mirror how the anime and manga work. The open-ended nature has to be present. Plus, it just sounds like fun.

In terms of classes, I decided against making a class, but that's mostly because I myself no longer play with classes (I've homebrewed D&D into something else). I had had the idea that a class would possess "Specialties," which essentially just granted bonuses to certain types of transmutations, such as with certain materials or into certain shapes. So, Mustang would have an Oxygen Transmutation Specialty, allowing him to use his trademark, and Armstrong would have something like Artistic Specialty, allowing him to more easily shape his transmutations into certain shapes. Maybe also give him a Stone Specialty, since that was one of his focuses.

I'm not sure how this would best be added to the rest of the game. Probably allow certain classes to access the Transmutation skill, and make a feat to allow others to access the skill. A Rogue with this would be a beast, what with all of his skills, though I could see a Wizard being pretty beastly also, with Intelligence being high and all of those Knowledges.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. And, I accomplished what I set out to do. Took me nearly four hours to think this all up and write it down, but damn, it's purdy. Thanks for taking a look!
    Last edited by Domriso; 2012-01-05 at 11:48 AM.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: The System [3.5ish]

Not sure I'll need it, but I'll reserve a post for any additional information I might need to add.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Come see my Homebrew!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks great and actually fits more with Fullmetal alchemist than any class I've seen.
    I would tweek the info on Philosophers stone slighty as the philosophers stone doesn't actually bypass the rule of equivilent exchange its simply that it has a soul is worth more than any amount of material objects can equal so it can be used an infinite amount of times as it no matter what the user creates with it.
    It will never equal a soul.

But thats just specifics and doesn't actually change any of the crunch of the stone.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to point out that, physically, only Sloth was really "superhuman". The rest of the Homunculi were somewhere between "average" and "peak human" in terms of physical ability outside of their specific transmutational ability.

You can see this in how they tend to get steam rolled by the characters in the series who are arguably both "peak human" and well trained in combat. The Homunculi rely pretty heavily on their regenerative abilities as a crutch to see them through combat.

Bradley/Wrath may have been superhuman but it may be a combination of his Ultimate Eye and potentially being just peak human.

A small nitpick really, but one that will become important to the mechanics of creating Homunculi for the setting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, both good points. I'll alter that. I also realized I totally left out a huge part of the show, that being chimeras. Gonna need to go fix that one.

Come see my Homebrew!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

As I am currently doing a re-read of FMA, I am extremely interested in yhis project.

Is there anything anyone can do to help?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

What's the DC change on tranmuting things into a collection of discreet parts; it always seemed harder to make guns than swords and chains than ropes, at least in the anime...

Are there modifers for size, as well? Edward always seemed to get comments for being able to be excessive rather than just having poor control...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

What's the DC change on tranmuting things into a collection of discreet parts; it always seemed harder to make guns than swords and chains than ropes, at least in the anime...
    Sort of. As noted in the document, making something that has discreet parts requires an appropriate Craft check. If it doesn't succeed, then the transmutation does not properly succeed. It might look right, but it won't actually be able to be fired. So, this means that alchemists are encouraged to have skills invested into other skills.

Are there modifers for size, as well? Edward always seemed to get comments for being able to be excessive rather than just having poor control...
    I was thinking about this. I'm still not decided. What I'm thinking is that size makes a lot of sense, so perhaps very large transmutations increase the DC by some amount? My current thinking is that every size category larger than the Small increases the DC by +5. That would make it so that the larger objects are quite a bit more difficult to transmute.

Come see my Homebrew!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

DrowGuy

A major problem I see is that it's easier to transmute a complexity 7 into a 1 than it is a 7 into another 7.

Healing bones should be a lot easier than turning bones into sand, don't you think?

I propose you multiply the first number by the number of steps you are moving instead. As it stands, it makes very little sense.
    Last edited by LudiDrizzt; 2012-01-05 at 04:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Both of the above really call for quick reference tables.

We need to now the craft DCs of various things and to be able to get at them easily. Similarly, it'd probably just be easier to make another table with a complexity factor based on size. Something like:

{table]Complexity|Volume|Weight|Example

1|Tiny|10lb|Sword

2|Small|70lb|Chest

3|Medium|200lb|Person

4|Large|1,000lb|Outhouse

5|Huge|4,000lb (2 tons)|Mid sized truck

6|Gaganutan|16,000lb (8 tons)|Average house

7|Colossal|64,000lb (32 tons)|Towerblock[/table]
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LudiDrizzt View Post
    Healing bones should be a lot easier than turning bones into sand, don't you think?
    I can turn bones intro sand really easily, I hit them with a hammer. A lot. The result might not match sand perfectly, but its close.

I really like this system, though I would partially disagree about how homunculus is not a template. I see your point about how each is unique, but there are a few constants between homunculi, mainly the regenerative abilities. Perhaps a pseudo-template of sorts could be in order here? The same for differentiating between animated objects and living armor. Not a full "this is what your character looks like" but more "these are the things that make them different," if that makes any sense.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...magical trumps mundane so often that mundane really needs to be able to give magic a good kick in the junk now and then.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry
    Is there anything anyone can do to help?
    Mostly, I'm looking for critiques. Any problems you see with the system, or obvious holes I'm missing; I'd like to make the system work as best as it can, so I guess I'm just looking for critiques more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LudiDrizzt
    A major problem I see is that it's easier to transmute a complexity 7 into a 1 than it is a 7 into another 7.

I propose you multiply the first number by the number of steps you are moving instead. As it stands, it makes very little sense.
    I actually specifically designed the system so that it is much easier to deconstruct something than it is to build something up. It is a hell of a lot easier to turn bones into sand than it is to put the bones together, force them to fuse into one again, and continue to perform biological functions. So, it is very much true that healing something which is alive is very difficult, at least if you want to keep it alive. Keeping the homeostasis is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive
    Both of the above really call for quick reference tables.
    Both of the above? I see the size part, but what was the second part?

As for that table, I love it. Now, what I'm thinking about is how it would interact with the normal complexity. Should the two be averaged together? Maybe average them together and weigh it up? There's a few possibilities for how to work it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sypher667
    I really like this system, though I would partially disagree about how homunculus is not a template. I see your point about how each is unique, but there are a few constants between homunculi, mainly the regenerative abilities. Perhaps a pseudo-template of sorts could be in order here? The same for differentiating between animated objects and living armor. Not a full "this is what your character looks like" but more "these are the things that make them different," if that makes any sense.
    I see what you're saying, but it seems to me that this is mostly just adding a couple of abilities into an otherwise whole. True, that technically makes it a template, but other than the regenerative abilities there doesn't seem to be many other specific traits between them.

Hm... what about making a template that adds the regenerative qualities as well as one of several abilities? I wouldn't really use it, but some people might find it useful.

Come see my Homebrew!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

i meant the craft and miscellaneous skill DCs

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

An FMA campaign seems like a lot of fun, and I agree that the rules should be simple but allow for a lot of creativity on the player'd end.

Small critique, I would include a rule about the Law of Providence; no turning flesh to stone, or turning metal into a plant, etc.(unless a Philosopher's stone is used, of course)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Isn't human transmutation supposed to be difficult? Under this system, anyone who spends half an hour preparing the circle auto-succeeds. That is unintentional, correct?
    The Specialist PrC(WIP) An attempt to make really high skills more useful. I would love it if someone would PEACH.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Start the game in a tavern. Then have the tavern attacked by horrifically over-CRed monsters and kill them all.
    The real campaign begins when they wake up as spirits, and you pull out the Ghostwalk supplement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachasor View Post
    The sanity of DMs also varies wildly.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Small critique, I would include a rule about the Law of Providence; no turning flesh to stone, or turning metal into a plant, etc.(unless a Philosopher's stone is used, of course)
    To a certain extent I agree with you here, and I have made mention of it in the original post, but one thing that I discovered during my research is that, while the Law of Providence is generally true, it is possible to circumvent it by breaking something down to its complete base components (namely, down to its basic chemical or subatomic structures) and then rebuilding them from that. This can be seen when Ed breaks down a stick of dynamite into a cloud of ammonia; had he desired/had the time, he could have built things up from there (as seen right in the beginning of the show, where Ed and Al use the basic chemical components of a human body to build a human body all their own).

Isn't human transmutation supposed to be difficult? Under this system, anyone who spends half an hour preparing the circle auto-succeeds. That is unintentional, correct?
    It is unintentional, yes, but it actually isn't as big a problem as you think. It does bring up an addition to the rules that I think would be useful, though. I think putting a cap on the bonus you can achieve by spending extra time would probably work best, something like you can only gain a bonus equal to 1/2 you ranks in the Transmute skill, or maybe equal to the number of ranks you have would be a good rule to have, just to make it a little less easy to abuse.

To fully answer your question, human transmutation is technically completely impossible in the show, because nothing can bring a soul back after it's crossed over the void. It is, however, perfectly reasonable and possible to create soulless bodies. In other words, while making a human body is rather simple to do, and making a human body that could potentially move and run around is also possible, but you'd need to bind a soul to it.

So, essentially, it isn't really that hard to make a human body; you just need the right components. It just won't have anything in it.

Come see my Homebrew!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Something else I'd like to ask about this system.

Is it possible to play as a normal non-alchemist? A chimera? A human-homunculus like Ling? Part of the beauty of the series is that it has rich characters both in the alchemist camp and non-alchemist one.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Something else I'd like to ask about this system.

Is it possible to play as a normal non-alchemist? A chimera? A human-homunculus like Ling? Part of the beauty of the series is that it has rich characters both in the alchemist camp and non-alchemist one.
    This isn't a system like 3.5e its like psionics, invocations and vatican magic and is a System of magic.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    This isn't a system like 3.5e its like psionics, invocations and vatican magic and is a System of magic.
    Right, I get that. What's the caster? What classes do and do not exist in the world. If it's meant to be ported into a world, what would the necessary changes be?

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Right, I get that. What's the caster? What classes do and do not exist in the world. If it's meant to be ported into a world, what would the necessary changes be?
    It's actually a skill based system, anyone can take ranks in Transmutation if it's on their skill list, at least that's what it looks like.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, Edro is right. This is a skill-based system, designed to be used alongside any other system that the DM desires. I could potentially make an actual Alchemist class, but I wouldn't use such a device (I've been redesigning D&D to be classless), and therefore I'm too lazy to do so.

As stated in the original post, I'm not entirely certain that it would be possible to make an incredibly effective template for chimeras, homunculi or other odd things in the FMA universe. I personally think that they are far too unique to be easily and effectively created for across the board templates; maybe a few assignable abilities, but templates would be hard. But, that being said, I would certainly want to see characters like in FMA show up. As you said, they're some of the most fun of the series.

Come see my Homebrew!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

The chimeras could probably be represented by use of the amalgam template, which fuses 2 or more creatures together.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always thought Eberron's Shifter did a decent job for most of them

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

See, the real problem is not knowing enough of what went into making most of the chimeras. We obviously see that there are animal-animal hybrids and human-animal hybrids, but there are also variations. Some animal-human hybrids are basically human, some are more animal than human, and some can drastically shift their forms to basically go therianthrope for a while.

Further, some of the animal-animal hybrids look more like animal-animal-animal hybrids, or maybe even more than that. That opens up a whole 'nother can of worms, trying to detail how that process would work.

And, we finally get to the implied possibility of a human-human hybrid. While never shown in the show, the fact that there are human-animal and animal-animal chimeras seems to point to the possibility of shoving two humans together and seeing what happens.

So, in the end, to truly make a representation of what a chimera is, in the Full Metal Alchemist spirit, there would need to be at least two templates, probably more like three or four by the end of it.

Come see my Homebrew!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

For everything other then therianthrope chimeras the amalgam template could still be a good place to start, as it can create both humanoid shaped and non-humanoid shaped creatures from a combination of both(and also fuse more than two creatures), however, it doesn't have rules for a human/human chimera(well technically you can make one with it, but it would just have the combined stats of the two base humans from my understanding of how it works).
    edit; Mostly I was pointing out that there is a template which can help build some types of chimera(animal+animal, human+animal, and animal+animal+animal mainly) from fma as some people had been asking about that sort of thing

also; The alchemy mechanic looks fairly interesting, while it would require some extra work from a gm if used as an attack of some kind, it still sounds like it could be fun to use in a campaign, both as a dm, or as a player.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-01-25 at 05:44 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    And, we finally get to the implied possibility of a human-human hybrid. While never shown in the show, the fact that there are human-animal and animal-animal chimeras seems to point to the possibility of shoving two humans together and seeing what happens.
    That, is something which I, reading the entire manga, never even contemplated. (Ed would be so mad)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I was wondering if you had any thoughts about specific rules to differentiate xing alchemy. Since it did seem that it had several differences in use. Such as being able to heal wounds more efficiently and having an entirely different mechanism for circles. I have a few thoughts but I'm on my phone at the moment and don't have the patience for a longer post.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Xing alchemy is only better than regular alchemy because it can be used at a distance. The healing could be done by both, but regular alchemy forbids human transmutation and healing is human transmutation.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, Xing alchemy was only actually different in the fact that it used the "veins of the Dragon" to power itself, which also allowed it to be used at a distance, so long as there was a connecting power source. More than that, however, you have to remember that Father had actually wired himself throughout all of Amestris, allowing him to "turn off" alchemy for a time, if he desired. The power of the tectonic plates, while technically the source of the power, went through Father; he was a medium of sorts.

So, I don't really think there's much of a difference. The better ability to heal people would just be because Eastern Alchemy focused on healing; it was cultural more than anything intrinsic to the alchemy.

Come see my Homebrew!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmmm....interesting. I'll have to look this over.

Still, Homunucli do not necessarily have to be keyed to any of the 7 Sins. It's just that the main Homunculus in the series decided to key his "children" to those sins. Just saying.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil