New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    ah chumster
    i remember when these guys were UNSIGNED
    6-7 years ago
    they were on the soundtrack for a baseball video game i loved

i forget the name of the song on the game but i assure you it twas awesome
    They were signed to a major label over a decade ago, up until about four years ago.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    They were signed to a major label over a decade ago, up until about four years ago.
    thats...
    odd...
    it was a third party video game so i assumed they were unsigned...
    oh my...
    now i feel silly
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

It's one of my big regrets in life that I never got to meet Schuldiner. Seems like he was an incredibly inspiring guy.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    It's one of my big regrets in life that I never got to meet Schuldiner. Seems like he was an incredibly inspiring guy.
    indeed
    meeting him would have been most unbogus
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's play a game of "Stump the Thread", by mentioning a band no-one else has heard of. Local bands will probably make up the most of it and, hell, local bands always deserve more credit!

Rocketsmiths are, sadly, a broken up band from my state. They had a really varying sound, and I was sad they broke up. Ah well. This song is nice and bouncy; I love it.

Outlaw Social is a Canadian roots band I found randomly searching on youtube. They, like Rocketsmiths, have broken up, which is a shame, but DAMN is their music great.

Zombie Ghost Train, yet another broken up band, was an Australian psychobilly group. Very tongue in cheek, and the music is good, too.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Let's play a game of "Stump the Thread", "hipster one-upsmanship" by mentioning a band no-one else has heard of.
    Fixed it for you

Seriously though, quite a few people are posting local bands already, not like we need to declare we're doing it as a special focus

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no, no.

There's an essential difference between hipster one-upsmanship and what I want to do.

Hipster one-upsmanship is about saying "Look at these bands you've never heard of! Tremble before me!"

What I'm trying to do is: "LOOK AT THESE REALLY COOL BANDS WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME IF THEY WERE MORE POPULAR?"

Big difference. =P
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

But there's where we run into the essential quandary of what, exactly, a hipster is. While I'm inclined to agree with SotS here, the scenario I face, time and again, is:
    Chumley: "Y'all should listen to this cool local band Rin Tin Tiger! They're really energetic and fun."
    People: "So what you're saying is you're a dirty, dirty hipster."

I'm sure you're all familiar with it. If people wanna call you a hipster, they're gonna call you a hipster, whether yer smoking Lucky Strikes or Marlboro Reds. To use a silly metaphor.

's like whatsit, a few years ago, when wearing skinny jeans made you "eeeeeeemooooooo".

Well, I'm off to play my first full gig as one of two bassists with Handshake, replacing my best friend who's off to college in New York...
    For some reason that means getting up at 6:15 in the morning. I'm not sure how okay with that I am. All of the sacrifice I'm making, surely we deserve y'all's youtube patronage or Facebook fanning or whatnot.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no, no.

There's an essential difference between hipster one-upsmanship and what I want to do.

Hipster one-upsmanship is about saying "Look at these bands you've never heard of! Tremble before me!"

What I'm trying to do is: "LOOK AT THESE REALLY COOL BANDS WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME IF THEY WERE MORE POPULAR?"

Big difference. =P
    Yeah I know (pro tip: or deosn't usually imply seriousness). The fact that you phrase it as playing a game of 'stump the thread' does come across as being much nearer to "Look at these bands you've never heard of! Tremble before me!" territory though, hence why I made the joke

I would also note that going on about local bands to people who live hundreds of kilometres away from your local scene is unlikely to be very productive, unless you're using 'local band' to just to mean 'band with whom I share a hometown', rather than the more specific meaning it takes on in music discussions. The reasons for this should be fairly obvious

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stump the thread" was a reference to a game I play in bars called "stump the bartender"- it's amazing how many bartenders in my town don't know how to make an Old Fashioned.

The "local" bands I mentioned were only "Local" in the sense of "The same continent", and one of them wasn't even that. I suppose I should have said "There are some really unknown bands out there, lets spread the word!".

I know you weren't serious; that's what the =P meant.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

It's all about Fences, Campfire OK, and Greylag.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stump the thread" was a reference to a game I play in bars called "stump the bartender"- it's amazing how many bartenders in my town don't know how to make an Old Fashioned.
    I'm not even going to pretend I know what that is.

The "local" bands I mentioned were only "Local" in the sense of "The same continent", and one of them wasn't even that. I suppose I should have said "There are some really unknown bands out there, lets spread the word!".
    Indeed. So let's do this thing!

First-up: Amplifier.
    Sure, they're not ultra-obscure, but the only people in the playground I've seen mention them are me and Moff Chumley so I'm going to bring them up anyway. They really deserve far more attention than they get, prog or not. I mean Riverside are better known than they are, which is not a statement you can make very often. Unless of course you're talking about:

Indukti. Prog metal with a capital prog. Not technically an instrumental band, but less than half of their songs have vocals. Can also sometimes get a bit epic.

Tribe
    Sometimes called 'The most under-rated band in music', Tribe were an American group from the late 80s-early 90s. Interestingly enough, Tribe's keyboardist Terri Brosius supplied the voice of SHODAN in the System Shock games before going on to found Harmonix with her husband (and former bandmate) Eric. The Tribe song Outside was included in the original Rock Band game (where it served as the bane of drummers).

Rajna
    French group in the World-Darkwave-Ethereal-Neoclassical kind of new age-esque-but-not sort of hybrid/fusion ..genre... thing? You know, that whole type of stuff Dead Can Dance are considered pioneers of? Screw it, whatever it is these guys are fairly good at it.

Irfan Bulgarian group, in a similar genre as the one above (if not just straight world). Again, good atmospheric stuff.

Rhea's Obsession Canadian semi-experimental Darkwave group. They haven't released an album since 2001, although it seems like their style of music has been adopted by a number of film soundtracks in that time period.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Alright I'll bite. Problem is, out of the three bands in my collection that I commonly cite as obscure, one was mentioned recently by someone else in the metal thread, and I mentioned another in response to that. Still, here's one band people might not have heard of.

Witchbreed are a metal band from Portugal whose first album was a genuinely refreshing take on the whole female-fronted Gothic Metal rigamarole, with some strong progressive elements, Death Metal and Black Metal influences in the instruments, and a unique aggressiveness to the clean female vocals. They've unfortunately lost their singer and seem to be having difficulty finding a suitable replacement.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2011-09-25 at 09:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again: BLASPHEMY! The only people allowed to do that song are Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks, or some appropriate variation thereof.

Okay, so, music...

My last.fm profile, just for the heck of it. If you look at it, you will see I have rather eclectic, erratic musical tastes.

My parents raised me on a steady diet of '60s and '70s hits, with a few '80s rock hits. The Beatles, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, the Beach Boys, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Eric Clapton, the Doobie Brothers, Earth, Wind, and Fire, etc, etc, etc. In high school, I would occasionally listen to Fall Out Boy and Hellogoodbye, but continued to listen to the classics. Modern music didn't really do it for me. When I got to college, however, my musical tastes further broadened. The Gorillaz, Coldplay, and Daft Punk joined my iTunes library. I also discovered the musical aesthetic known as chiptune: the use of old computer and video game hardware to create music. Trash80, Nonfinite, SMILETRON, Anamanaguchi, I Fight Dragons, Instant Remedy, FantomenK, etc.

Right now, I'm waiting for two new albums to release this October: Coldplay's "Mylo Xyloto" and I Fight Dragons' "KABOOM!" I've been listening to songs from both albums almost constantly for the past couple weeks.

Well, one day they'll drop the bomb.
    Who knows who they'll drop it on?
    Maybe someone that you love.

Don't wait for the evidence.
    No one's really innocent.
    Send in judgement from above.

And before they get to you,
    do what you gotta do.

KABOOM!
    Never played a game of D&D in my life, but I still love OotS.

Army of the One Free Man.

Clarence Clemons Memorial Avatar by Dorian Soth

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

So, y'all know that band Girls? I know Raistlin does. I think, at least. Anyway they played Letterman, they have OODLES of indie/hipster* cred, and my band has at least one direct contact with 'em. We're gonna try to schmooze our way into getting them a gig at the Filmore with us opening.

I plan on talking with them about metal. Imagine the look on indie chicks faces when I tell that anecdote. Seriously, imagine it. It'll be utter horror.

*: they're BNM. BNM is hipster cred. Pure and simple.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2011-09-25 at 11:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    So, y'all know that band Girls?
    No, but I have heard of Boys, and that's nearly the same thing in at least one way.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    So, y'all know that band Girls? I know Raistlin does. I think, at least. Anyway they played Letterman, they have OODLES of indie/hipster* cred, and my band has at least one direct contact with 'em. We're gonna try to schmooze our way into getting them a gig at the Filmore with us opening.

I plan on talking with them about metal. Imagine the look on indie chicks faces when I tell that anecdote. Seriously, imagine it. It'll be utter horror.

*: they're BNM. BNM is hipster cred. Pure and simple.
    They are very good except for the first half of Vomit before the backing vocals come in.
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

This gives me the perfect excuse to promote some South African bands

First off, my friends:
    Strident, some power metal insanity.

And some more friends:
    A Walk With the Wicked, death metal. The quality isn't brilliant, but these guys are seriously good.

aKING, one of the country's bestest rock bands.

And now, for something completely different:
    Tonik, grassroots/instrumental/percussion/whatever. A band I only recently discovered. They're currently touring in Germany and Switzerland, actually. I'm actually in that montage, heh.

Lark. Electronic weirdness. They've disbanded, sadly.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

jumping off the "let's all name obscure local bands"-wagon, for an old classic I've woken up to this morning
    my, my
    Last edited by dehro; 2011-09-26 at 06:07 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    jumping off the "let's all name obscure local bands"-wagon, for an old classic I've woken up to this morning
    my, my
    Lots of love for that song.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    If I have to choose a metal musician who is my inspiration not as a musician but as a person, it'd definitely be Schuldiner :v

Anyway, for some reason, I have been strangely addicted to Deicide's Trifixion. I have no idea why. :v
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I've been listening to Mumford & Sons for like 2 weeks straight. I can't get enough of that banjo.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

25. - Top - End - #175
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Man, I've been listening to Mumford & Sons for like 2 weeks straight. I can't get enough of that banjo.
    I agree with you there. At first, I found them tiring, but now I like'em.

Gonna see Elbow live tomorrow. So excited.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

I don't mind Mumford & Sons but I sort of think all their songs sound the same, especially their singles.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Eh. The singles, sure. There's only so much you can do with a banjo, after all. But the other songs on the album is varied enough. Something like Awake My Soul is just plain good.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh man. I got back from the Elbow concert last night. They truly are god tier.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

I listened to Sigh No More for like a week straight before I realized that that band was worthless and I haven't listened to it since. They just don't really have any substance, to be honest.

I could never get into Elbow, despite several close friends going through this months-long "OMG best band ever" phase with them. There were like two bearable songs on TSSK, and the rest of their material just seemed... underwhelming.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    I could never get into Elbow, despite several close friends going through this months-long "OMG best band ever" phase with them. There were like two bearable songs on TSSK, and the rest of their material just seemed... underwhelming.
    I had a similar experience. That also largely sums my attitude towards Frank Turner as well.