New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances V

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Only if we assume he's had a spray-tan between panels, because the skin colour isn't even close.
    Actually, they look quite similar to me. I might be seeing things wrong though.

R.I.P Zz'dtri. You'll always be the best the LG ever had in my opinion. 'Tis a shame you weren't defeated by V in an epic battle of wizards.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demolator View Post
    Actually, they look quite similar to me.
    Well, I suppose they are quite similar. But they're not the same.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 912
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Durkon Thundershield (as vampire), Elan, Haley Starshine, Laurin Shattersmith, Mr. Scruffy, Nale, Roy Greenhilt, Tarquin
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Is that white blob next to Belkar's left shoulder Mr. Scruffy, or is it too indistinct to tell?

There does seem to be something there, though.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

About the masquerade scene:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So did we decide, then, about including the guests costumes (where recognizable) as cameos? Like, Nale as Bizarro? I know that we don't list interesting alterations from bonus material, but that would be like crediting "Nale (as Bizarro)". I mean, giving Bizarro a listing. By comparison, we count a corpse as an appearance of a character, but don't call "(as corpse)" an alteration.

If we do, then we have at least three for Bizarro, and one for Guy Fawkes. Anyone recognize any other costumes?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    About the masquerade scene:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So did we decide, then, about including the guests costumes (where recognizable) as cameos? Like, Nale as Bizarro? I know that we don't list interesting alterations from bonus material, but that would be like crediting "Nale (as Bizarro)". I mean, giving Bizarro a listing. By comparison, we count a corpse as an appearance of a character, but don't call "(as corpse)" an alteration.

If we do, then we have at least three for Bizarro, and one for Guy Fawkes. Anyone recognize any other costumes?
    Spoiler
    Show
    IMO, we shouldn't because it's not actually Bizarro or Tony Manero (Tarquin's costume) showing up anymore than than The Joker showing up when an Hinjo apperaed as him in the Island scenes.

To put it another way, Batman the character has shown up in the strip. But if Elan were to dress up as Batman, it wouldn't count as an apperance for Batman since he didn't actually appear.

I know we've stretched the rules for when dolls action figures of them appear. And I'm cool with that. Pics of them on paintings, magazines, and book covers certainly count.

But a person in costume of that character? No, I don't think it should count in that case.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-08-19 at 05:30 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    IMO, we shouldn't because it's not actually Bizarro or Tony Manero (Tarquin's costume) showing up anymore than than The Joker showing up when an Hinjo apperaed as him in the Island scenes.

To put it another way, Batman the character has shown up in the strip. But if Elan were to dress up as Batman, it wouldn't count as an apperance for Batman since he didn't actually appear.

I know we've stretched the rules for when dolls action figures of them appear. And I'm cool with that. But a person in costume? No, I don't think it should count in that case.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But, don't characters appearing as each other count? From the FAQ:
    "Also, when someone appears as someone else (for instance when Nale impersonates Elan), that counts as an appearance for both the character in disguise and the character being impersonated."

If impersonations count, it seems to me constumes should count...
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-08-19 at 05:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Back when Wrecan was running this, I remember there was a discussion about whether or not Thog should get appearances when Tarquin was impersonating him. If I recall correctly, he did end up getting the appearances despite there being some disagreement within the thread. I was one of those who thought he shouldn't have gotten them, but hey.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    But, don't characters appearing as each other count? From the FAQ:
    "Also, when someone appears as someone else (for instance when Nale impersonates Elan), that counts as an appearance for both the character in disguise and the character being impersonated."

If impersonations count, it seems to me constumes should count...
    Spoiler
    Show
    We didn't count Hinjoker or Bard Boy in the list except in the Interesting Alterations section, and they would absolutely count if we do this.

I presume there must have been some sort of debate over this when things like that happened.

Also, technically, Nale is Nyblat here, so 'Nyblat' would also get all of his appearances. And we'd have to go through all of SS&DT to redo all of that.

To me, a costume ball is separate from knowingly impersonating someone else and expecting people to buy the impersonation (which might be a rule that needs to be revisited as I think about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Back when Wrecan was running this, I remember there was a discussion about whether or not Thog should get appearances when Tarquin was impersonating him. If I recall correctly, he did end up getting the appearances despite there being some disagreement within the thread. I was one of those who thought he shouldn't have gotten them, but hey.
    If we must split hairs, then this is the hair to split:

Appearing in a costume at a ball is NOT trying to deceive people into thinking you are that person, which is the very definition of 'impersonation'.

Tarquin was trying to get people to think he actually was Thog. What is being discussed in Spoiler Bars isn't remotely the same thing, IMO.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-08-19 at 05:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

[QUOTE=Porthos;15854069]
    Spoiler
    Show
    We didn't count Hinjoker or Bard Boy in the list except in the Interesting Alterations section, and they would absolutely count if we do this.

I presume there must have been some sort of debate over this when things like that happened.

Also, technically, Nale is Nyblat here, so 'Nyblat' would also get all of his appearances. And we'd have to go through all of SS&DT to redo all of that.

To me, a costume ball is separate from knowingly impersonating someone else and expecting people to buy the impersonation (which might be a rule that needs to be revisited as I think about it).

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the intent is the thing? I assume Elan unwillingly disguised as Nale counted as a Nale appearance? But then, that was the costumer's (Nale's) intent.

Really, I can see the argument either way here. Costumes do constitute a character appearing on the page in some sense, but what counts as a meaningful appearance is really a matter of preference.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Really, I can see the argument either way here. Costumes do constitute a character appearing on the page in some sense, but what counts as a meaningful appearance is really a matter of preference.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have to put the dividing line somewhere. And if someone runs up to that line, but doesn't cross it, it's still on the one side of the line than the other.

If we move the line here, some other situation will occur where the line will be debated again.

Personally, I'm comfortable where with the line is at the moment: Someone is attempting to knowingly pass as someone else (or force somone to pass as someone else).

Well, actually I'd rather the line be moved to not include that, but since it's already settled I'm not going to re-visit it due to all of the hassles it would create.

12. - Top - End - #252

Fair enough!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 913
    Elan (+1), Haley Starshine, Laurin Shattersmith, Nale (+1), Tarquin (+1)
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-08-21 at 02:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

I just noticed that we are listing a "Dave (human)" cameo but I believe he is just a shapechanged Sabine.

15. - Top - End - #255

Chimera

Well, Nale, good job getting to 8th place, too bad you're now going to lose it...

16. - Top - End - #256

You never know. We might have some afterlife appearances in the near future. Though, you're right, once the next book gets rolling, it's hard to imagine him staying ahead of Redcloak & Xykyon.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-08-21 at 06:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I just noticed that we are listing a "Dave (human)" cameo but I believe he is just a shapechanged Sabine.
    RIP WRECAN
    Q. What counts as an appearance?

A. Any likeness of the character being visible (so Elan's appearance on Nale's blueprint counts, and Belkar's self-portrait in blood counts)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

The question is did Dave (human) ever exist as individual?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Why wouldn't he?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, he probably did, because that lizardman guard was familiar enough with him to be surprised at the wings. So either Dave did/does exist, or Sabine was going undercover as Dave for a bizarrely long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Yes, he probably did, because that lizardman guard was familiar enough with him to be surprised at the wings. So either Dave did/does exist, or Sabine was going undercover as Dave for a bizarrely long time.
    I mean, it's certainly possible that she showed up at the beginning of the day, introduced herself as the new guy Dave, and everyone assumed Dave was a regular human. Then when Dave busts out some wings, they're mildly surprised, because that seems like something you would mention right off the bat.

"Hi, my name's Dave, and I got HELLA COOL WINGS, YO."
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

...Which would also explain why the other guard didn't even know his name.

I think without firm evidence that Dave the person ever existed, he shouldn't get an appearance. (We stopped counting Polozius after it was revealed to be Z, after all, but for all we know Polozius might be a real ambassador.)

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    I think without firm evidence that Dave the person ever existed, he shouldn't get an appearance. (We stopped counting Polozius after it was revealed to be Z, after all, but for all we know Polozius might be a real ambassador.)
    That's actually quite a good point. Should we make a rule that no character gets appearances counted unless they actually appear at least once in the flesh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Eyepatched Airship Crewman (+3)
    Five-o'clock shadow Crewman (+2)

Both links are redirected to strip 392, but there is only one character with Five-o'clock shadow and eyepatch. A case of double-counting?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Eyepatched Airship Crewman (+3)
    Five-o'clock shadow Crewman (+2)

Both links are redirected to strip 392, but there is only one character with Five-o'clock shadow and eyepatch. A case of double-counting?
    I had to look up "five o'clock shadow" and just to be clear it appraently means "designer stuubble". I don't have the material referred to by the red numbers but this looks like a mistake to me.

Also there is a female pirate with a blue bandana with white spots. She appears in panels 5, 8 of #391 and panel 12 of #392 . As far as I can see she is not listed at all but should be in the main listing with two appearances.[EDIT: not to be confused with the "Blue Bandana'ed sailor of #479.]
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2013-08-25 at 04:57 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

If no one objects, I'll delete one of them.

Also there is a female pirate with a blue bandana with white spots. She appears in panels 5, 8 of #391 and panel 12 of #392 . As far as I can see she is not listed at all but should be in the main listing with two appearances.[EDIT: not to be confused with the "Blue Bandana'ed sailor of #479.]
    She is already listed as "Airship crewwoman", with 2 appearances.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-08-25 at 10:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

The "Sabine as evil queen" listing appears to be wrong. It links to 821 when I think you meant 892.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

I deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avangor View Post
    The "Sabine as evil queen" listing appears to be wrong. It links to 821 when I think you meant 892.
    Fixed.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Colossus in the Playground

Xykyon.
    ...A kobold lich?

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...A kobold lich?
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-08-25 at 01:44 PM.