New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam]-y Thread XXX: Throwing titles out the window!

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    In addition, depending on ramp-up (which increases the further you are, unlike the shotgun, which is the reverse)
    That's nt ramp-up, it's just random damage spread. Sniper Rifles have no ramp-up (Or fall-off).
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Those starter packs aren't half bad, either. Two weapons and a hat.
    Um... They are completely terrible, actually. Worth almost a key in $, worth maybe 1/5 of that in game items. But, if you don't care about never reselling these...
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Trixie, you also have to take into accout that I'm practically vanilla with all classes.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um... I would be interested in one? :<
    Seeing as how no one else wants any of it i think its safe to say you can have whichever one you want!

A small warning though that i forgot to mention about the portal 2 coupon - it expires by September 14th, so if that's going to be a problem for you i can only say I'm sorry to have gotten your hopes up.

If you still want it(assuming you ever wanted it) or any of my other offered items. Feel free to add me on steam, (Unless you just wanted the steam key for ruler designer, i could tell you that via PM now if that's what you wanted.)

My steam name is Alienstickmen - if that doesn't work it may also be under alienfire1 - if that fails then I'll have to either PM you my email or add you instead.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Um... They are completely terrible, actually. Worth almost a key in $, worth maybe 1/5 of that in game items. But, if you don't care about never reselling these...
    If you like customization options and important weapons for a class, then it's good for impatient types.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Well, Trixie, you also have to take into accout that I'm practically vanilla with all classes.
    Still not worth it. If there's a weapon you want, I probably have a dupe of it, or could acquire any weapon in the game for little to no effort.

7. - Top - End - #247

Honestly, vanilla is probably best to start off with. None of the weapons (except for Medic melee weapons) are straight upgrades to the stock weapons.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    Honestly, vanilla is probably best to start off with. None of the weapons (except for Medic melee weapons) are straight upgrades to the stock weapons.
    Eeeeeven then most of them aren't. The ubersaw is likely the only one that is, and even then the bonesaw has it's place. I still run with the needlegun rather than bluts in most cases (:

I would say the degreaser/axetinguisher combo is a straight upgrade though, purely because of sheer damage output possible with it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Eeeeeven then most of them aren't. The ubersaw is likely the only one that is, and even then the bonesaw has it's place. I still run with the needlegun rather than bluts in most cases (:

I would say the degreaser/axetinguisher combo is a straight upgrade though, purely because of sheer damage output possible with it.
    the best upgrade a medic can get is a strange variety of his vanilla weapons. Though Kritz is really important in MvM.

As for degreaser/axetinguisher, I haven't done the numbers. Are you sure that a backburner from the back isn't more dps? Especially on a group of people? Pyros live much longer sneaking up behind anyway.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Neither of those are "straight upgrade." A straight upgrade has an improvement without any sort of disadvantage to offset it. The two examples I can think of (although I know there are a few more) are the Amputator and the Third Degree.
    The amputator has the exact same stats as the standard bonesaw, with the addition of a taunt that can heal multiple allies at once. The Third Degree has the same stats as the Fire Axe, but damages any medic healing your target.
    Interestingly enough, neither of the "straight upgrades" are frequently used. The Amputator taunt is so situational and makes you so vulnerable that there's almost never any point to using it instead of the ubersaw or the vita-saw. The only conceivable reason for using it is the healing regen you get as part of its set, not because the taunt itself is particularly useful.
    With the Third Degree, you're better off with the degreaser/axetinguisher combo in nearly every case due to the vastly increased damage potential. However, neither the axetinguisher nor the degreaser can properly be called "straight upgrades" even though they're used by almost all players almost all of the time. The degreaser has a reduction in afterburn damage, and the axetinguisher deals no random crits or something trivial like that.

With very few exceptions, the vanilla weapons will provide you with the best results in the most likely situations. They also generally have higher skill ceilings, a plus if you intend to get into competitive play or even if you just want to get better.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    Seeing as how no one else wants any of it i think its safe to say you can have whichever one you want!
    Ok, will add you as soon as I'm back! And thanks!

Btw, might have something little extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    What if he has Fists of Steel out?

If you like customization options and important weapons for a class, then it's good for impatient types.
    Impatient. But, they have no resale value and for what it's worth you can crab much better hat and will have leftovers spare for several weapons.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Impatient. But, they have no resale value and for what it's worth you can crab much better hat and will have leftovers spare for several weapons.
    You do understand he's only just started, doesn't understand the value of anything, and shouldn't start trading until he's at least somewhat informed of how the game operates?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Neither of those are "straight upgrade." A straight upgrade has an improvement without any sort of disadvantage to offset it. The two examples I can think of (although I know there are a few more) are the Amputator and the Third Degree.
    The amputator has the exact same stats as the standard bonesaw, with the addition of a taunt that can heal multiple allies at once. The Third Degree has the same stats as the Fire Axe, but damages any medic healing your target.
    Interestingly enough, neither of the "straight upgrades" are frequently used. The Amputator taunt is so situational and makes you so vulnerable that there's almost never any point to using it instead of the ubersaw or the vita-saw. The only conceivable reason for using it is the healing regen you get as part of its set, not because the taunt itself is particularly useful.
    With the Third Degree, you're better off with the degreaser/axetinguisher combo in nearly every case due to the vastly increased damage potential. However, neither the axetinguisher nor the degreaser can properly be called "straight upgrades" even though they're used by almost all players almost all of the time. The degreaser has a reduction in afterburn damage, and the axetinguisher deals no random crits or something trivial like that.

With very few exceptions, the vanilla weapons will provide you with the best results in the most likely situations. They also generally have higher skill ceilings, a plus if you intend to get into competitive play or even if you just want to get better.
    All valid points, but I consider straight upgrades to be such in the case that they're more useful then their vanilla counterparts. The degreaser/axetinguisher combo can still be used in the same fashion as the flamethrower/axe combo with slightly less damage, but the other situational (and more often than not you're in those situations) advantages make up for it.

Much like the ubersaw being slower than the bonesaw, but the fact that you gain uber on hit makes it more valuable as you get more uber from spies (quite frequently) and more shenanigans can be had it with.

I count them as straight upgrades because of those reasons, rather than saying that they have to be the same but better. They're different but much better imo :P

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

I count them as straight upgrades because of those reasons, rather than saying that they have to be the same but better. They're different but much better imo :P
    Exactly. There are some items you're going to use as sidegrades, though the vanilla will always be standard (i.e., the minigun and scattergun). Then there are some weapons that are absolutely necessary to the class (like the Sandvich or Equalizer, which improve survivability for little tradeoff). The purely situational stuff (such as the Phlogistinator or Scottish Resistance) is helpful, but not alway needed.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What if he has Fists of Steel out?
    Fists are a corner case because of the increased weapon switch time and the massive melee vulnerability while active. Due to how long it would take the Heavy to whip out and spin up the Minigun, he's likely in transit, which means that if you've got line of sight, you're probably gunning for the Medic, and the Heavy is a sitting duck shortly thereafter (60% of 518 is 408, which he'll drop to before you get your charge back up). If the Medic is pocketing a Steel Heavy during a firefight... the Heavy's not going to be at full Overheal, and depending on what he's fighting may not last very long anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    As for degreaser/axetinguisher, I haven't done the numbers. Are you sure that a backburner from the back isn't more dps? Especially on a group of people? Pyros live much longer sneaking up behind anyway.
    Backburner crits are the highest sustained DPS a Pyro can get, but the Degreaser/Axetinguisher combo will finish off most single opponents almost immediately, so the difference mostly comes in when you have multiple enemies' backs to your nozzle.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Backburner crits are the highest sustained DPS a Pyro can get, but the Degreaser/Axetinguisher combo will finish off most single opponents almost immediately, so the difference mostly comes in when you have multiple enemies' backs to your nozzle.
    Oh yeah, I just sort of discount backburner because I rely on airblast way too much to have the increased cost in my setup.

I suppose that one relies on how you play the pyro, but I'd still call both a straight upgrade to the flamethrower. Just depends on your playstyle as to which you use.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

You do understand he's only just started, doesn't understand the value of anything, and shouldn't start trading until he's at least somewhat informed of how the game operates?
    I do. But I was 'just starting' not that long ago, too, and I remember my own relief that I did not bought starter pack, but something else, once I learned how things work and what is everything worth. It's all.

Plus, second factor, let's just say some players have... Less than stellar reactions to certain hats, including Gibus and most of these in starter packs. Thankfully, I see them less and less, but there is no point in making gaming experience worse even by small amount, is there?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

100,000 crystals to go...
    and i have a TL full of microchips ready... it's not going to be enough...
    in better news i have completed 2 other plots and gained a shiney xperemental shuttle to feel nostalgic in...

ah the joys of long term projects...

anyway, Mann-up this weekend anyone?

wait, peole don't like the Gibus?
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2012-09-07 at 05:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    100,000 crystals to go...
    and i have a TL full of microchips ready... it's not going to be enough...
    in better news i have completed 2 other plots and gained a shiney xperemental shuttle to feel nostalgic in...

ah the joys of long term projects...

You you leave your game running while you go do something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground

...We should prolly update all of the groups as we no longer host a TF2 server.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    You you leave your game running while you go do something else?
    no... if you do that you come back to half your fleet gone...

I do however SETA while i'm watching some light tv so i can jump into sectors and save my assets.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Backburner crits are the highest sustained DPS a Pyro can get
    No, that would be the phlogistinator's Mmmph boost.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

So I have name and desc tags for my pyro set (degreaser, flare gun, axtinguisher, all strange and some with parts) and I'm trying to figure out what to name and describe them. Suggestions?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzball View Post
    ...We should prolly update all of the groups as we no longer host a TF2 server.
    I've been pushing foor an update to all the groups for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    So I have name and desc tags for my pyro set (degreaser, flare gun, axtinguisher, all strange and some with parts) and I'm trying to figure out what to name and describe them. Suggestions?
    Ooh, "Explosive Runes" or maybe "Magic Missile" on the Flare Gun.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Ooh, "Explosive Runes" or maybe "Magic Missile" on the Flare Gun.
    I was thinking "Prometheus" on the degreaser, with the description: "Bringing fire to the people." Maybe "Pele" on the axtinguisher.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking "Prometheus" on the degreaser, with the description: "Bringing fire to the people." Maybe "Pele" on the axtinguisher.
    Ooh, that's pretty good.

I think I've seen Pele on an Axtinguisher before, but I could be mistaken.

27. - Top - End - #267

I was thinking "Prometheus" on the degreaser, with the description: "Bringing fire to the people."
    I support this

28. - Top - End - #268
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Please everyone, I beg of you, please please please go and thumbs up this entirely free remake (and total makeover) of the original Half-Life, Black Mesa, on Greenlight.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Is Green Light Broken? A Game I've been following, Black Mesa Was at 33% and is now at 19%.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Is Green Light Broken? A Game I've been following, Black Mesa Was at 33% and is now at 19%.
    It was and still is at 33% for me.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak