New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    Is there are reason you made the shredder's fireball thing the same color as he is? Seems like it be harder to tell it apart from a distance.

Other then that, I like.
    Thanks.
    The site I use to edit my photos has an autocorrect feature. Normally the pics come out okay, but for some reason, this time, the blue-grey chitin came out almost entirely blue. It's actually Shadow Grey, washed with Asurmen Blue, drybrushed with Shadow Grey. In the end, it looks like a shaded Shadow Grey. Stupid autocorrect. (The fireball glows in the dark. )
    These may look more like they do in RL:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just got done playing around with sky-earth non-metallic metals on an Iron Snake Space Marine, it's still fairly WIP-ish because I keep using this one snap-together model as a test model (I spilled glue all over it if you care).

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213

Justyn, NMM is very, very difficult to do, and I would recommend a beginner stick with the regular kind until they're more experienced. Having said that, the highlights on the blue armor are very harsh, and I would recommend having a color in between the blue and the white to smooth it out.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

I really am moiving away from GW paints because I've found that Vallejo is easier to work with, but I do have some GWs that I continue to use because I like the color. I also have a ton of them, so I'm phasing them out over time.

Some of the people at WAMP turned me on to Vallejo Air Metallics and I'm really liking them- they've got the smallest metallic particles since they're designed for airbrush use. THis means I can just squeeze a drop out of the dropper and use it without any extra thinning. I love Blighted Gold from P3 because it's just a great color.

the reason I'm turning more and more to Vallejo colors is because I'm finding they're easier to blend with and seem to have fewer coverage issues when compared to GW. Also, a large number of Vallejo paints are made to be the exact same as GW- Blood Red (GW) and Bloody Red(VMC) are 2 perfect examples of this. Vallejo also has many more shades to choose from.

I'd suggest picking up a few Vallejo paints and try them out just to see if you like them.

(I tried to post this yesterday but got hit with that annoying server is busy message).
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

These Vallejo Air Metallics sound awesome. I'll have to look into them. Thanks, again, CT. You keep recommending all these things that make me spend more money on minis. If my wife ever meets you, she'll probably kick your ass.

EDIT: I just found a set of 8 Vallejo Air Metallics for $20.35. Is that a pretty good deal? (I see they sell for about the same as P3 paints, so I'm assuming it is.)
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-05-20 at 08:51 AM.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Cool, Dan's Crafts and Things and Hobby Lobby both have it. Will have to grab some this weekend.
    Did you ever get some snow? If so, how's it working out for you?

7. - Top - End - #217

I did pick up some, first experiment worked, but haven't gotten to matting any of my snow themed models, so I am not there yet.

PS: I should wait until post matting for something fluffy like that right?
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

PS: I should wait until post matting for something fluffy like that right?
    If by matting, you mean varnishing, then it doesn't matter. The snow stays pretty fluffy. I accidentally spilled about half a bottle of super glue on one the other day, and there was no change to the consistency of the snow, it just got harder.

EDIT: MOAR!
    Vayl, Disciple of Everblight:
    Spoiler
    Show

Blighted Nyss Shepherds:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nyss Sorceress on Hellion:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-05-20 at 01:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219

I don't care for the shininess, I tend to use a matte sealant from a spray can. Works for me.
    I play:

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't care for the shininess, I tend to use a matte sealant from a spray can. Works for me.
    I just call it all varnish. So it shouldn't matter if you put the snow on first.

Also more pics! ^

11. - Top - End - #221

Nyss Sorceress on Hellion, that is a cav unit? Neat.

Overall, I like. I tend to make duplicates different by painting them different (different hair color, etc) just so they don't look the same. But I am envious in how fast you are painting... I need to get more done. Haven't done anything since my giant O&G spider.
    I play:

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Nyss Sorceress on Hellion, that is a cav unit? Neat.

Overall, I like. I tend to make duplicates different by painting them different (different hair color, etc) just so they don't look the same. But I am envious in how fast you are painting... I need to get more done. Haven't done anything since my giant O&G spider.
    Thanks.

Yeah, it's a cavalry solo. Their regular cavalry ride large caribou called "ulk."

Sadly, the two shepherds are based with different blues (one Necron Abyss, one Regal Blue; both dark, but pretty different when un-washed), but they came out almost identical after the Asurmen Blue wash.

I'll probably highlight them before I varnish them, just to give them some of their individuality back.

EDIT: As far as speed goes, my wife is out of town, and I've got my "production line" technique perfected.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-05-20 at 03:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    Justyn, NMM is very, very difficult to do, and I would recommend a beginner stick with the regular kind until they're more experienced. Having said that, the highlights on the blue armor are very harsh, and I would recommend having a color in between the blue and the white to smooth it out.
    Yeah, I messed up the white to blue a bit; what would you reccommend for the intermediary color? Space Wolves Grey? Or should I just take a longer time transitioning between white and blue?

But at any rate, it was a learning experience, so it was successful in that I learned what doesn't work.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Yeah, I messed up the white to blue a bit; what would you reccommend for the intermediary color? Space Wolves Grey? Or should I just take a longer time transitioning between white and blue?

But at any rate, it was a learning experience, so it was successful in that I learned what doesn't work.
    This is why I stick to metallics, I can't do NMM to save my life.

I'd try a longer, smoother transition. Mix your paints more, or do a wet blend.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post

My first suggestion would be to do a 50/50 mix of the two as an intermediary color. Otherwise, I think Space Wolves Grey would probably be alright.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Some of the people at WAMP turned me on to Vallejo Air Metallics and I'm really liking them- they've got the smallest metallic particles since they're designed for airbrush use. THis means I can just squeeze a drop out of the dropper and use it without any extra thinning.
    Also, Model Air metallics include red, blue, and black, which means between these, gold, and metallic medium, you can make pretty much any metallic color you want. I just got some Turn Signal Red for my Knights of the White Wolf.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    I really am moiving away from GW paints because I've found that Vallejo is easier to work with, but I do have some GWs that I continue to use because I like the color. I also have a ton of them, so I'm phasing them out over time.
    Whenever I look at buying Vallejo paints I just end up thinking "I like pots and always end up wasting paint when I have to squeeze it out onto a pallet".

I'm assembling some tomb kings skeletons in the roman style 'turtle formation' thing and the shields have turned out to not be nearly as big as they look. Bigger than the similarly shaped Egyptian shields were in real life but hardly legionaire sized.

Still look pretty cool raised above their heads in a collum though.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-05-21 at 12:03 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Whenever I look at buying Vallejo paints I just end up thinking "I like pots and always end up wasting paint when I have to squeeze it out onto a pallet".
    That's what a wet pallete is for. Actually, where I live a wet pallete is a necessity, as it's so dry here that the paint will dry out very quickly without one.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post

I'm assembling some tomb kings skeletons in the roman style 'turtle formation' thing and the shields have turned out to not be nearly as big as they look. Bigger than the similarly shaped Egyptian shields were in real life but hardly legionaire sized.

Still look pretty cool raised above their heads in a collum though.
    But how long paints last, I don't think that is a big concern for me, plus with the wacky weather I have here, they do need drops of water every so often anyhow. (doesn't sound as bad as Turcano )

On the turtle idea for the troops, that does sound fun.
    I play:

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello Cathy from Maow Minis mounted on a Studio McVey base with a Tamia 1/35th Tommy Gun:

Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

I like it, Zorg. Looks really great. I'm guessing that the tommy gun isn't originally part of the mini, it looks like it came from a different brand (since there's a scale difference).

EDIT: I've finished the Nightmare Riders (Dawnguard Destors), and though they all look pretty much like the first one I posted, I wanted to post the Leader:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, a link.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-05-22 at 02:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Zorg@
    That s the very aspect of awesomeness.

dsmiles@
    The fire is awesome, how did you paint it?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    dsmiles@
    The fire is awesome, how did you paint it?
    Thanks.

Layers. Layers are the key. (And wet blending.)

1. Mechrite Red basecoat.
    2. Blood Red Highlights.
    3. (While still tacky) Blazing Orange Highlights.
    4. (Again, still wet) Sunburst Yellow Highlights.
    5. (This is the special part) Glow-In-The-Dark Orange glazing. You could probably get away with a Fiery Orange glaze here, but this is a naturally thin paint (which is why I'm saying I glazed it on there). The effect should be about the same, either way.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-05-23 at 01:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I like it, Zorg. Looks really great. I'm guessing that the tommy gun isn't originally part of the mini, it looks like it came from a different brand (since there's a scale difference).
    It's a Tamia (or maybe Dragon) 1/35th gun. It's oversize, but I think it works. All the properly scaled guns I have were too chunky for her or not the right look. She almost had an M-16 with M-203, but the barrel was too long.

EDIT: I've finished the Nightmare Riders (Dawnguard Destors), and though they all look pretty much like the first one I posted, I wanted to post the Leader:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, a link.

+1 flaming horse of vengeance! Again, great flames on him - they really go well with the dark armour.

Ninjaman - thanks very much
    When I showed my girlfriend her comment was "she seems to have run out of clothes". I pointed out she has plenty of hair to keep warm, which got me "Just Cuts - $35."
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    +1 flaming horse of vengeance! Again, great flames on him - they really go well with the dark armour.
    Thanks!

On another note...I've got this whole crapton of snow flock left from my Legion models. I only have 2 left to do, and they're both small (30mm) bases.

Anyhow, time to move on to the rest of my pirates. Yay! I love painting pirates! No two have to be alike, they're so much more fun than regular units.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've now got one of my kans completed. I've got it armed with a big shoota but it's only blu-tacked in for now so I can swap around weapon choices.

Tonight I've started working on the stormboyz. I've not done a great deal but the legs are finished and I've done a nice little freehand teeth design on the kneepad. I was worried at first about them being difficult to paint because they're quite closed and the arms and jump packs get in the way, but it seems to be working alright.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbaniya View Post
    I've now got one of my kans completed. I've got it armed with a big shoota but it's only blu-tacked in for now so I can swap around weapon choices.

Tonight I've started working on the stormboyz. I've not done a great deal but the legs are finished and I've done a nice little freehand teeth design on the kneepad. I was worried at first about them being difficult to paint because they're quite closed and the arms and jump packs get in the way, but it seems to be working alright.
    Magnets depending on the model, might hold better then the tac. Just a suggestions. Not familiar enough with the Kans to be sure.
    I play:

28. - Top - End - #238

Sansa is almost done, but I don't have any pics of her yet. The only things left are the ornamental lining of the cloak and her hair.

I've been spending most of my time building the base for her. I decided I wanted to do a winter scene since it fits so well with the character and the beginning of the book series. After a lot of thought I decided I wanted her to be standing alone underneath a dead tree in a snow covered forest. I couldn't find any premade trees that looked any good, so I decided to make my own. I grafted it together out of sticks and twigs from my backyard. I think it turned out pretty well because you can't even tell where the greenstuff is that I used to cover the splices.

I painted it with a bunch of layers and a whole lot of differen washes to give it the mottled coloration of a dead tree. I hate that the snow is going to cover almost all of the top of the tree, but I think putting in the work was worth it. The base is completed except for adding in some grass tufts and dead leaves, which will com ein just before I finish adding the snow.

Spoiler
    Show
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

29. - Top - End - #239

Oh, wow. That tree is cool.

On an unrelated note, I may finally have some work of my own to post tomorrow.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Hello Cathy from Maow Minis mounted on a Studio McVey base with a Tamia 1/35th Tommy Gun:
    Her skin's got an unfortunate-looking...textured quality to it.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show