New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Habits that kill fun in a session.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Girl View Post
    The Overly Religious Person--The person likes to role play and participate in such games. They just have one little request: ''Can we not have any pagan false gods in the game, that's just wrong." And not only do they not want to be a cleric, but they want all mention of (false) gods removed. They don't want to see a temple of Bane in the city or run in to a cleric of Mystra. They don't even want other people 'pretending to pray' when they use magic spells or abilities.

They can even get picky and not want to encounter demons or devils(but Slaad or Xill are OK) and they don't even want to 'pretend' to use things like magic circles or pentagrams or such.
    Throughout my elementary and middle school years, I attended four different Catholic schools and played with/DMed for groups in each, and we only had this kind of problem player once. He hated it when the party paladin of freedom shouted "FOR KORD!" when he used Smite Evil; he hated it when there was a three-way moral debate between a PC paladin of Helm, a PC druid, and an NPC agnostic philosopher cleric; he hated it when we ran into a horde of goblinoids on a holy crusade for Maglubiyet and decided to support them against their orcish enemies. He called us all insufficiently faithful and quit after that campaign ended.

The kicker? The DM at the time was the pastor of that school's church and had been leading Masses, teaching Sunday school, and guest-lecturing in the school's religion classes for several years. How he thought calling the freakin' pastor "insufficiently faithful" made any sense is beyond me.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The Overly Religious Person--The person likes to role play and participate in such games. They just have one little request: ''Can we not have any pagan false gods in the game, that's just wrong." And not only do they not want to be a cleric, but they want all mention of (false) gods removed. They don't want to see a temple of Bane in the city or run in to a cleric of Mystra. They don't even want other people 'pretending to pray' when they use magic spells or abilities.

They can even get picky and not want to encounter demons or devils(but Slaad or Xill are OK) and they don't even want to 'pretend' to use things like magic circles or pentagrams or such.
    and at long last have I met my true opposite.

I'm a highly religious person, and this leads to my insisting that no real world religion is brought into the game at all.

heck, one of the first things I tell any new players of mine are "NO (modern) real world religious things are to be brought in game.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I met this person when I was in high school. Refused to game with them; I was afraid of how their inability to separate fiction from reality might go.

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    and at long last have I met my true opposite.

I'm a highly religious person, and this leads to my insisting that no real world religion is brought into the game at all.

heck, one of the first things I tell any new players of mine are "NO (modern) real world religious things are to be brought in game.
    big teej, you are the GitP forum with legs.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Colossus in the Playground

Sounds to me like someone who reads chick tracts and has fallen for the dungeons and dragons issue hook line and sinker. Sounds to me like selective objections as well, since the whole, "made us in his image" thing would be upset by the existence of multiple sentient humanoid races. So we can only play as humans, and all enemies must be of animal level intellect.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Orc in the Playground

Seconded. Luckily, the rest of my group feels the same way, and we never have to bring it up. Even out-of-game, we don't discuss our (varied and often opposite) beliefs because we know how it can start terrible, vicious arguments and we'd rather stay friends.

For the record, I am of the "quiet certainty" school of thought when it comes to God, not an evangelist, but there is at least one atheist in our group, and we've agreed that since it has no effect on the gameplay, it's irrelevant to most of our conversations. Interestingly, he plays the devout paladin quite well.
    Last edited by Notreallyhere77; 2011-06-27 at 06:16 PM.
    Blog for my latest (and hopefully last) campaign world: Thargothras!

Some less overused ways for your PCs to meet

Best compliments yet received:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Damn, you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Nice McNinja reference; you have earned 1 internet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    You get an internet. Or three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    That's some damn fine work, notreallyhere.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post

big teej, you are the GitP forum with legs.
    you mind if I sig this?

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

you mind if I sig this?
    Go for it! rofl

You've gotta admit, the similarity is... striking.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Senseless Violence is why I'm Here
    This player only comes to the game to fight monsters, any Roleplaying is quickly left by the wayside. Most of the time he just sits back and lets the other players do the roleplaying. Other times he decides that violence is the only way to get through the prison your in, killing 5 guards while a thousand more enter the room.

Even if the DM hints that Diplomacy is the only way through a situation he will choose suicidal last stand without even thinking. By the end of the campaign he and the other combat built characters compare their kill counts.

My Way or the Highway
    The DM that fails to realize most players do not utilize the charisma based stats too often. Often he will decide that the players have to do one thing in order to complete his campaign. Great examples are negotiating the release of their captain(Why not kill the kidnappers?) and paying an unfair toll to cross through the woods(Why not kill the toll keepers?).
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
    Senseless Violence is why I'm Here
    This player only comes to the game to fight monsters, any Roleplaying is quickly left by the wayside. Most of the time he just sits back and lets the other players do the roleplaying. Other times he decides that violence is the only way to get through the prison your in, killing 5 guards while a thousand more enter the room.

Even if the DM hints that Diplomacy is the only way through a situation he will choose suicidal last stand without even thinking. By the end of the campaign he and the other combat built characters compare their kill counts.

My Way or the Highway
    The DM that fails to realize most players do not utilize the charisma based stats too often. Often he will decide that the players have to do one thing in order to complete his campaign. Great examples are negotiating the release of their captain(Why not kill the kidnappers?) and paying an unfair toll to cross through the woods(Why not kill the toll keepers?).
    I love how the 2 of those seem to be complete opposites. Just shows that anything taken to the extreme is damn annoying.

Mr Contrary-This guy has some unquenchable need to go against everything the DM and/or the rest of the party wants to do. DM gives the party a plot hook? Must be railroading, kill the questgiver. Party wants to go hunt a dragon? Too cliche, sabotage their efforts until they give in and do what you want to do. Of course anyone else (DM or player) stops him from doing what he wants to do, he cries and screams that they just enjoy killing his fun. Bonus points if this person is over the age of 25.
    Last edited by Choco; 2011-06-27 at 08:08 PM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Go for it! rofl

You've gotta admit, the similarity is... striking.
    well, I suppose when I spell it out that way... it is very similar...

but in my defense, that was a rule of mine long before I came to the playground.

11. - Top - End - #1271

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I disagree. PC Plans shouldn't be disallowed just because they're doomed to failure. They're the player's characters, not the DM's. If their decision makes no sense, the most they should get is an, "Are you sure?" After that, they're on their own. They will suffer the consequences of their actions.
    He claimed the plan was boring and potentially game breaking. What kind of DM allows that plan to go forward and succeed?
    Hello world. . .

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Dwarf in the Playground

LOL. They'd have fun in my group... 4 of the 6 players are (or were) members of organized wiccan covens - ie, practicing witches. The other two are atheists with a good understanding of world religions. (Aside from giving some inspiration on flavors religion and magic, this has no effect on the game.)

Actually, they wouldn't have fun, because I doubt they'd want to be (or be welcomed in) in the same room.

Edit- as with Notreallyhere77's group, the group's "Paladin" - both in that he's the most morally focused, and arguably the most devoutly religious - is played by one of the atheists (me).
    Last edited by Seb Wiers; 2011-06-27 at 11:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    He claimed the plan was boring and potentially game breaking. What kind of DM allows that plan to go forward and succeed?
    It honestly doesn't matter what the DM thinks of the plan. Again, they're the players' characters. If that's the plan they make, even if it's an obvious TPK to the DM (but not the players), the DM's job is to narrate what happens, not stop the players from acting on their plan. The DM isn't there to be a mommy to the players and say, "No, that's stupid, don't do that." Therein lies the path to railroading.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #1274

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    The kind that would rather not have to tell the players "no you cannot carry out the plan you think is awesome and have spent a fortnight planning" just because it's not the way the DM wanted the game to go? It's the players' game as much as it is the DM's. Besides, they're players. There is almost no chance that the plan will go as intended, even if it does succeed (see, the whole reason we started talking about this).

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

It honestly doesn't matter what the DM thinks of the plan. Again, they're the players' characters. If that's the plan they make, even if it's an obvious TPK to the DM (but not the players), the DM's job is to narrate what happens, not stop the players from acting on their plan. The DM isn't there to be a mommy to the players and say, "No, that's stupid, don't do that." Therein lies the path to railroading.
    Oh? So you're fine with them totally breaking the WBL rules without much cleverness but instead just a bunch of cheese? I'd like you to try to DM that.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-06-28 at 01:33 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    ...upset by the existence of multiple sentient humanoid races. So we can only play as humans, and all enemies must be of animal level intellect.
    Or the enemies can also be human. Human-human conflict isn't exactly unknown.

Then there is the space opera angle. Multiple sentient races, sure, but humanoid? No.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Or the enemies can also be human. Human-human conflict isn't exactly unknown.

Then there is the space opera angle. Multiple sentient races, sure, but humanoid? No.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention specifically that any nonhuman encounter has to be bestial level intellect since obviously there cant be OTHER intelligent races besides humans.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #1278

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    The kind that would rather not have to tell the players "no you cannot carry out the plan you think is awesome and have spent a fortnight planning" just because it's not the way the DM wanted the game to go? It's the players' game as much as it is the DM's. Besides, they're players. There is almost no chance that the plan will go as intended, even if it does succeed (see, the whole reason we started talking about this).
    exactly a poor DM.

And ultimately that is the source of many habits that kill fun in a session.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2011-06-28 at 02:53 PM.
    Hello world. . .

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Oh? So you're fine with them totally breaking the WBL rules without much cleverness but instead just a bunch of cheese? I'd like you to try to DM that.
    If you read back, I never said there wouldn't be consequences. Just because you break WBL, doesn't mean that karma/fate/whatever you want to call it won't come around and bite you in the ass for it. All I said is if they have a plan, they should be allowed to see it through. As long as it's possible, within the rules (WBL is a guideline, not a rule), they should be allowed to try it. Karma's a bitch.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-06-28 at 03:20 PM.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    I am DMing it. The money got spent on a giant flaming sword because the only person who could reasonably carry the money walked off with it before the Wizard ("rightful" owner and possessor of Spot and Listen reducing flaw(s)) could spend it or notice. This for a character whose damage output is already overkill. They came into a massive amount of money in an all Evil, all unhinged party - it was only a matter of time until one of them took the lot of it for themselves, I didn't have a lot to worry about (and the method they used both allows me massive leeway in punishing them later - it required paying lip-service to a god who doesn't like most of them - and wouldn't be available to a more conventional, cooperating party). The thief is now on high-alert as the party makes its way to completing one of their objectives under an uneasy truce, the Wizard being on a hair trigger to kill the thief (or rather, anyone he thinks may have stolen his cash, thanks to a potion of Glibness obscuring the truth rather effectively) with alliegances as yet undeclared and intra-party tension out the wazoo. I think it's going rather well, really.

One player is a bit upset, but is still psyched to catch out and kill the thief and has only themself to blame (unless they were expecting me to be unreasonable about it - they should have planned much better, and expecting me to be unreasonable is itself kind of unfair). One player is happy with his new sword, so that's fine. The rest of the party isn't any less happy and has recieved only a bit less than what they would have gotten if the plan had gone as intended instead of predictably screwing up after going into the completely unplanned area following "profit!". Overall, I'd call it a net win, and certainly not a huge loss if it is one at all. There are worse things that could have happened and I feel "it doesn't work, good job wasting two weeks" is one of them.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I usually feel my own habits can kill a game session. With certain groups its alright, but right now I feel I am *That Guy*. You know the guy who gets pissed off when he doesn't get to do anything.

See I have all these stats in the Drive skill because my GM was worried that my character wouldn't have a place in the crew. Also because she thought that no one would take it. Ends up 2 other people took it and have a lot more in it than me. I said hey can I drive the vehicle this mission and immediately rolled a crit fail, which ended in a flat tire.

My only good stats are in strength and combat. Sadly my initiative is so low I have been on the bottom of the order every game. So now I am adding points into fluff charisma and knowledge checks.

The only rolls I succeeded last session was my fix vehicle check(for a flat tire so it was a low DC), and seducing two prostitutes at the bar, which I did out of boredom, my character did it to help himself feel better; in character he is torn up because he might have helped destroy a planet and is a sad drunk because of it.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ettin in the Playground

Crit fail on a skill check? I despise that houserule.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Crit fail on a skill check? I despise that houserule.
    He mentioned Drive...that's not a D&D core skill, so I presume it was a different system. Other systems actually have critical skill failures as a legitimate rule, remember.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    He mentioned Drive...that's not a D&D core skill, so I presume it was a different system. Other systems actually have critical skill failures as a legitimate rule, remember.
    I was assuming d20 Modern (with the mention of the term DC), which (IIRC) functions off the core DnD rules for skill checks and such. I could be wrong, but I still hate that houserule.

25. - Top - End - #1285

I was assuming d20 Modern (with the mention of the term DC), which (IIRC) functions off the core DnD rules for skill checks and such. I could be wrong, but I still hate that houserule.
    Fair enough - and yeah, everyone hates critical failure/fumble rules.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ettin in the Playground

Fair enough - and yeah, everyone hates critical failure/fumble rules.
    Well, I'm all for critical fumbles on attack rolls. They make the critical hits all the more awesome. Without the risk of utter failure, critical hits seem kind of meh (IMO).

27. - Top - End - #1287

I'd call the "1=auto-miss" enough penalty...the problem with critical fumbles is when DMs invent all sorts of ridiculous 'penalty tables' that in no way equally balance out simply dealing double or triple damage on a hit. I've seen everything from "provoke an AoO" to "drop your weapon" to (no lie) "auto-crit your nearest ally as the weapon flies out of your hands".

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, I forgot to mention specifically that any nonhuman encounter has to be bestial level intellect since obviously there cant be OTHER intelligent races besides humans.
    OK, I don't get this. I consider myself a reasonably devout Christian, and while there is some stuff in DnD that I can understand my fellow Christians getting upset about, the existance of intelligent races besides humans isn't one of them.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd call the "1=auto-miss" enough penalty...the problem with critical fumbles is when DMs invent all sorts of ridiculous 'penalty tables' that in no way equally balance out simply dealing double or triple damage on a hit. I've seen everything from "provoke an AoO" to "drop your weapon" to (no lie) "auto-crit your nearest ally as the weapon flies out of your hands".
    I don't go "critical" in that sense. It's an auto miss that puts you out of position far enough that the remainder of your turn is spent getting back into position, instead of attacking.

30. - Top - End - #1290

That's more on the reasonable end of things.