Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    previous experience would probably suggest them that the Tardis has a tendency to occasionally follow the Dr on it's own accord, a bit like the Luggage in Discworld.. do you want something that can explode and uncreate reality out of your sight and control, if you have the means and the chance to chain it somewhere "safe", i.e. in full view of all your top guys?
    on the matter of chains..what was the point of having Daleks chained if every time they woke up they just shook their chains loose?

also.. I was still convinced that the famous "question that mustn't be asked" was indeed the dr Who? question.. I feel this is not going to go away just yet.. could it be that the dalek re-discovering the answer (or maybe even his real name) marks the so long anticipated moment when the Silence must fall?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps the chains had rusted and thus were weakened? was she definitely there for just one year? Does it only take someone a year to decompose in to skellington? I know it is spelt skeleton

The first question is very much implied to be the words "doctor who?". You can make it applicable to stuff other the Doctor's name, like someone asking the doctor to choose between two people.
    I'd also note that Doctor Who is the first question the show asked, seeing as it was the title.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps the chains had rusted and thus were weakened? was she definitely there for just one year? Does it only take someone a year to decompose in to skellington? I know it is spelt skeleton
    Spoiler
    Show
    and now all i'm thinking of is "He is not Judge Judy and Executioner"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Daemon

Alright People I’m Back!

Thufir
    I don’t have a completely negative view of Moffat, I just think he’s gotten a bit full of himself. I like most of his work. I also totally think he should have been show-runner after Davies (who I do think should have left when he did , you can tell in some of his later eps the sci-fi feels shoved in).

Lokey
    I am an apologist for lots of the Davies era eps which people don’t like (Doctor’s Daughter)

Avaris
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given that the Doctor reset the universe in “Big Bang”, I think Skaro coming back is fair. Besides, who says that was the original Skaro? They could have captured a new one.

Also, I’m betting JLC will be in ep5. Makes sense.

Friv
    I will use your meme

DPS
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would very much like you to transfer your 10 ways JLC could come back post

Curly
    I would do classic who but no one asks me. Also, after you’ve done season 4 (which I’m looking forward too as it gives me an excuse to discuss Turn Left, plus, Agatha Christie Challenge), you may want to look at the two Animated Episodes, Dream Land (set in the 2009 Specials season) and Infinite Quest (set in the Martha era, one of the worst Dr Who eps ever).

To all
    I rescind my offer of letting you vote for what I do. I’ve already decided, regardless of how well Moffat does (although the success of the eps will speed me up). I will do two stand-alone eps from New-Who. Both of which, Curly has seen, but she has not and will never review them (except maybe to offer a counter-opinion to me, because in the case of one of the episodes that will be utterly hilarious). I have picked the two eps as I have a point with them. No I will not tell you what they are, but I will deliver some hints.

The first of these eps is seen as weak. Few forumites like it and many big personalities (although none of the Who staff) openly despise it. However, I think people miss the point of this. This is a heartfelt, personal, witty and funny episode which people need to actually think carefully before being judgemental.

The second of these eps is also seen as weak. It is mediocre and average in a season divided by controversy. I wish to disprove this. It is a soul-less and hateful abomination which undermines the Doctor and makes the biggest crime on Doctor Who viewers- it insults their intelligence.

EDIT: Both will be in Curly Style! Hence why it's so special.

That’s all folks! Stay tuned for coming soon I will show you an utterly bizzare continuity error in Moffat's myth arc (which can probably be explained by "they forgot" but is still weird), tell you exactly why care should be taken to the Angels return and actually give a coherent sensible reason for why I dislike The Astronaut two-parter (which I seriously want Thufir to comment on, because he convinced me to like the Big Bang).
    Last edited by Sunken Valley; 2012-09-05 at 03:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    The first of these eps is seen as weak. Few forumites like it and many big personalities (although none of the Who staff) openly despise it. However, I think people miss the point of this. This is a heartfelt, personal, witty and funny episode which people need to actually think carefully before being judgemental.
    erm Love & Monsters? I always thought that had something going for it with the people who've meet the doctor and start a club cause they have no idea what to do.

The second of these eps is also seen as weak. It is mediocre and average in a season divided by controversy. I wish to disprove this. It is a soul-less and hateful abomination which undermines the Doctor and makes the biggest crime on Doctor Who viewers- it insults their intelligence.
    I have no idea, can't even decided which series you're talking about.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

I have no idea, can't even decided which series you're talking about.
    My money's on season 2. It's an episode Curly has seen (so not season 5), but won't review (so not season 3 or 4). Though maybe I'm not on the nerve of the Doctor Who fanbase and season 1 was more controversial.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

erm Love & Monsters? I always thought that had something going for it with the people who've meet the doctor and start a club cause they have no idea what to do.
    Actually that part was ok, though a little odd and sloppy may be the best word for it. I agree that the concept at looking at the lives of those affected by the Doctor and changed by it could make a great episode. But that wasn't it. It was ok to odd at first, and then the monster of the week showed up and it just went to crap.

Though for some reason I have a feeling he's talking about Fear Her. Which also sucked.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Having just discovered this on a random youtube search, I feel I should share, as this is possibly the most ridiculously awesome and awesomely ridiculous fanmade video I think I've ever seen.

Doctor Who as it might have appeared as a (shonen) anime.

Third Doctor, Daleks, Cybermen.

Starship battle.

'Nuff said.

(Someone in the comments muttered about the BBC picking this guy, after seeing this video, up to animate some of the classic missing stories. While this is as reliable as a random comment on youtube can be, I for one, certainly hope it is true. (Though turning down the over-the-topness down to, say, eight or nine instead of eleven might suit better for a more general audience....!))

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Having just discovered this on a random youtube search, I feel I should share, as this is possibly the most ridiculously awesome and awesomely ridiculous fanmade video I think I've ever seen.

Starship battle.

'Nuff said.

(Someone in the comments muttered about the BBC picking this guy, after seeing this video, up to animate some of the classic missing stories. While this is as reliable as a random comment on youtube can be, I for one, certainly hope it is true. (Though turning down the over-the-topness down to, say, eight or nine instead of eleven might suit better for a more general audience....!))
    Wow that was.... something.

I mean on the one hand amazing work... or the other some elements just whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Starship battle.

'Nuff said.

What...? I don't even.... Awesome.... Wrong... but awesome. Want! o.o

10. - Top - End - #280

PirateCaptain

I remember seeing this as just a bunch of sketches like, maybe, 2? 3 Years ago? It can't have been five? Good times man. Good times.

Though turning down the over-the-topness down to, say, eight or nine instead of eleven might suit better for a more general audience....!)
    Well, we all know Ten would be the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Dalek's would never fail so against inferior lifeforms! Cybermen are no match for even one Dalek. Exterminate! Exterminate!
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    What...? I don't even.... Awesome.... Wrong... but awesome. Want! o.o
    so.. so.. wrong
    but I can't look away
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Dalek's would never fail so against inferior lifeforms! Cybermen are no match for even one Dalek. Exterminate! Exterminate!
    Yeah... Daleks losing to Cybermen, ha!

It looks cool and it is... it's kind of nice. But it's not Who or anything. Fun to look at but that's it. The designs are amazing, though.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Daemon

That Anime was awesome!!!! Now I want a japanese companion, a return of Sutek and a story with two Masters (maybe Simm and whichever guy plays him next).

Anyway, I said I would deliver the continuity error I found.

In closing time, Amy is revealed to be a model. One would think this would happen after the God Complex. Wrong. Closing Time is set on 19th April 2011, 3 days before 22nd April 2011 (the date when the Doctor got shot). To reach the Doctor, Amy and Rory transported themselves to USA by conventional means, no time travel involved. You would think that Amy's career would be mentioned or she would have told the Doctor and River "Hey, I'm a model". She does not mention or hint at this, even implying she's living a normal life. Furthermore, Amy is a ganger by that point. Which means the ganger would have been the model at some point, which is creepy. But there's more. Amy was on bill-boards and had a million dollar deal and vanity brand perfume. I find it hard to believe she did so in 10 months from June 2010, although it can be done. I bolded perfume. This is because in Doctors Wife, Rory is unaware what a petrichor is. You would think he'd know a bit about perfume or Amy's job would be referenced. It is not. The answer is obviously "they forgot, the writer, Amy, Rory all forgot". I know, but it's weird.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, I said I would deliver the continuity error I found.

In closing time, Amy is revealed to be a model. One would think this would happen after the God Complex. Wrong. Closing Time is set on 19th April 2011, 3 days before 22nd April 2011 (the date when the Doctor got shot). To reach the Doctor, Amy and Rory transported themselves to USA by conventional means, no time travel involved. You would think that Amy's career would be mentioned or she would have told the Doctor and River "Hey, I'm a model".
    Why? I don't think anyone mentioned any occupation at all in that episode. It's also possible it was mentioned off screen.

This is because in Doctors Wife, Rory is unaware what a petrichor is.
    My mom works with computers. My dad does not know what RAM is. I don't really see how this ones a problem.

You would think he'd know a bit about perfume or Amy's job would be referenced. It is not. The answer is obviously "they forgot, the writer, Amy, Rory all forgot". I know, but it's weird.
    It's quite possible they forgot. Really. But as far as errors go, this one seems pretty weak.

16. - Top - End - #286

DruidGuy

For the upcoming Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! ep, they had put out two small teasers, introducing Nefertiti and Riddell.

I like Riddell already - can we have him as a proper companion?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Starship battle.

'Nuff said.

I'm not sure whether to say Wow! or Huh?

Sutekh? Two Masters? Were those Sontarans rumbling in at the end? What the **** was that all about?

But it looked amazing! (Not sure about all the girls in bikinis, but I suppose that's anime for you). I'd like to see the team who made that taking on a real script.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    I'm not sure whether to say Wow! or Huh?

Sutekh? Two Masters? Were those Sontarans rumbling in at the end? What the **** was that all about?

But it looked amazing! (Not sure about all the girls in bikinis, but I suppose that's anime for you). I'd like to see the team who made that taking on a real script.
    The guy. The one guy...

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Where did you get that tidbit about when Closing Time was set? It doesn't strike me as making a whole lot of sense.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Oswin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oswin says point blank that the Alaska was her first adventure. If Clara is Oswin at an earlier date, and she becomes the new companion, that means that her timeline has already been drastically altered by that fact. We're talking Time War level causality warping, here. Taking Oswin out on tour means she won't be on the Alaska, she won't be converted, she won't spend a solid year screwing with the asylum, and she won't scare the hell out of the Daleks. Then they won't call the Doctor, Oswin won't rewrite the Daleks, the Daleks won't forget him, and the Doctor won't have a reason to recruit Clara. So she does go on the Alaska and the episode happens as normally. Paradox.

Of course, it could be intentional. But what would be bad enough that the Doctor would intentionally undo the mindwipe and resurrection of the Pond marriage?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was wondering the same thing.

In the teaser/trailer for this half-season, there is a scene where the Doctor exclaims to River that "We just changed the future" or some such, and she just comments "It's called marriage." I have to wonder what that is in reference to. Probably not Oswin, but it it hints at what could be done.

I personally can't wait for the Western episode. It has the dude from Farscape and one of the best lines "Anachronistic Electricity, Keep Out signs, aggressive stares... has someone been peeking at my Christmas list?"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    Where did you get that tidbit about when Closing Time was set? It doesn't strike me as making a whole lot of sense.
    Craig's newspaper has that date on it. It is shown to the camera at one point.

Bigger Plot point: How do the Daleks know the Doctor is alive? He's supposed to be faking death so the silent don't know.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Bigger Plot point: How do the Daleks know the Doctor is alive? He's supposed to be faking death so the silent don't know.
    That's the thing about time travelers. If you want to talk to someone before they die you have an entire life-time to do so.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    That's the thing about time travelers. If you want to talk to someone before they die you have an entire life-time to do so.
    that's another thing that bothers me about the Silence.. they don't time travel, which means that in their linear timeline, they may very well encounter the Doctor again, after they've permakilled him but before that in HIS timeline.. so.. what's the point of the whole plot if it isn't going to stop the Doctor in his personal timeline..we know for a fact that the Doctor got up to 200 years more mischief before he got around to meeting his doom (well.. that's what the Silence knows).. it kind of makes their effort a bit of a ... dare I say it.. waste of time.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

We haven't seen them using time-travel, but they may have access to that technology. The whole point of the Silence is that you don't know they're there unless you look very, very carefully, or if they want you to be there.
    It could simply be a pragmatic thing, as well. They haven't bothered to interfere with the Doctor aside from killing him, because if things can be rewritten and the timeline changed, he could repair any of their other shenanigans.
    In their position, it makes sense to deal with the source of the problem first. Don't blow time and resources on changes to the timeline that could be retconned. Instead, kill the Doctor and erase the last Time Lord from existence, and then you're free to make merry hell with the timeline knowing that he can't retroactively stop you. He won't show up anywhere that history doesn't say he does, relative to them, which gives them a free hand to do as they please. They just don't make a move until then.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

They didn't know, they were just acting on the possibility. Rewatch the opening scence, and listen to the voice-over narration.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Woah, stop the presses! (Forums have presses right?)
    Mitchell and Webb are in tonight's episode

To continue my posting of links and not adding stuff to ongoing discussions, here's someone's diatribe on Aslyum and how Moffat is ruining Who

Also have a link to Karren and Arthur introducing Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

To continue my posting of links and not adding stuff to ongoing discussions, here's someone's diatribe on Aslyum and how Moffat is ruining Who
    Can't help but disagree with most of what's being said here. It's fairly obviously biased against Moffat (And I can't help but wonder about how much value can be placed on the opinion of someone who thinks "Fear Her" is a good episode).

I don't really understand where so much of the Moffat hate comes from. Yes, River Song took a turn for the worse after Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, but on the whole the other characters are enjoyable. I like that the writers under Moffat tend to not explain every little detail, allowing the audience to come up with the answers themselves. I also feel that the series finales have, on the whole, been better under Moffat than under Davis.

Can anyone explain it?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Davies' run venerated the Doctor as a kind of god, something that really started to emerge with 10's series's. The Doctor was loved and feared, he was always right. Anyone who disagreed with him tended to be wrong, and more often than not, died. There was an Old Testament feeling of him burning the Time Lords and Daleks, and the same feeling whenever he cast some alien menace down. I do feel that Davies's series was a bit too much in love with the Doctor - everything revolved around him.

Moffat's run has taken a different slant in that the Doctor is more like a fallen god. He's become more like Loki, or something - the mythological Loki that lied and cheated and did stupid things but also was sometimes seen as a heroic figure. It's an interesting development. He's feared and hated rather than just feared. And he knows it, he knows he's going a bit crazy but seems unsure how to be what he once was.

I guess there's the rub. Moffat's run is interesting, in that it deals with the consequences and developments that would come out of the basics of Davies' run - but it's still based on those awkward basics. Making the best of it, maybe, or trying to. But to some, it probably feels even more uncomfortable - as not only is the Doctor still doing reckless, kinda-crazy stuff, but the veneer of heroism that Nine and Ten wore has been tarnished by the more 'real' approach of Moffat's direction. We can't pretend he's the good guy any more.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2012-09-08 at 12:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tergon View Post
    We haven't seen them using time-travel, but they may have access to that technology. The whole point of the Silence is that you don't know they're there unless you look very, very carefully, or if they want you to be there.
    It could simply be a pragmatic thing, as well. They haven't bothered to interfere with the Doctor aside from killing him, because if things can be rewritten and the timeline changed, he could repair any of their other shenanigans.
    In their position, it makes sense to deal with the source of the problem first. Don't blow time and resources on changes to the timeline that could be retconned. Instead, kill the Doctor and erase the last Time Lord from existence, and then you're free to make merry hell with the timeline knowing that he can't retroactively stop you. He won't show up anywhere that history doesn't say he does, relative to them, which gives them a free hand to do as they please. They just don't make a move until then.
    We totally have. The Silent are in possession of the Necron TARDIS's. Also in 1969, the Silent in the Toilets told Amy to tell the Doctor "that which he must not know", ie his death. Which hadn't happened yet.

Finally, In the Big Bang, When Amy measures her younger self, you see a humanoid shadow in the museum move in the background. This may have been a Silent as Rory and the Doctor came in through the other direction, implying they can survive the eradication of the non-earth universe.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Moffat's run has taken a different slant in that the Doctor is more like a fallen god. He's become more like Loki, or something - the mythological Loki that lied and cheated and did stupid things but also was sometimes seen as a heroic figure. It's an interesting development. He's feared and hated rather than just feared. And he knows it, he knows he's going a bit crazy but seems unsure how to be what he once was.
    As a mildly entertaining yet relevant aside:
    Not a Spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horizons
    "So you are a god."
    "No! Well… in a manner of speaking."
    "Why won't you say one way or the other?" asked Henrik.
    "Because…" said the Doctor, wriggling his foot. "Well… Because… I suppose… Once upon a time… I might have been messing around in the sixth century and helped out some of your Icelandic friends and, well, I was a lot younge then. A lot younger. You should know that. And perhaps Edda the Bard was watching and, well, I had a few nights out and maybe I played a silly trick on him."
    "What kind of trick?"
    "It was later, there was honey mead…"
    "Doctor," said Henrick.
    "Well, maybe I shot him."
    "You shot him?"
    "With mistletoe. Well, to be honest, I persuaded this other chap to shoot him. A blind chap. Was an amazing shot actually. No-one could believe he'd pull it off. Hilarious."
    "Of course," he added, "totally irresponsible, I wouldn't do it now. Very much my younger days. And Edda never did see the funny side."