New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233344974124 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Maniac View Post
    @above: Curse you, other person. Curse you.

You can get the next one.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

I find it sorta weird that getting WaXP+OotPC and NcftPB seperately is cheaper than getting the 3 book package...

3. - Top - End - #693
    Dwarf in the Playground

The average pledge is over $50 now, which is really impressive.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

I bet 10$ to the pledge pool that we've got at least within 2k$ of the full print when I wake up in about 10h.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eerie View Post
    I find it sorta weird that getting WaXP+OotPC and NcftPB seperately is cheaper than getting the 3 book package...
    Are you including postage? Because OOkoodook postage was damn high for me.

Are they signed?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #696

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Are you including postage? Because OOkoodook postage was damn high for me.

Are they signed?
    I'm talking about the pledge rewards only and not signed. Look, one copy of War and XPs plus one copy of On the Origin of PCs is 71$ with shipping. One newly printed copy of the second OOTS book, No Cure for the Paladin Blues is 52$ with shipping. Together add to 123$ and I get 2 magnets.

PICK THREE (OR MORE) BOX is 131$ with shipping and only 1 magnet.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I already got the pledge for WaXPs, that ans NCftPB are the only two books I need. Which pledge should I choose to get just the two of them? I don't need another copy of one of the "skiny" books.
    When I became a man I gave up childish things, including the idea of being childish.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Also, you know, they have to exist first. Right now we have "pledge promises" not actual cash in hand and defiently not book sin the warehouse.

If you troll back through these pages, you'll find the research I did on the current reseller prices. The price of the donation is still significantly cheaper than that option. Plus, you get the nice arm fuzzy of keeping them in stock for a while longer so people don't start going back to the resellers for their oots book fix.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-01-26 at 04:46 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    If you troll back through these pages...

Not scroll?
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-01-26 at 04:46 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

We are at $169,072.00 as of right now. Can we make the $184,620.00 mark before noon tomorrow?

11. - Top - End - #701

Also, you know, they have to exist first. Right now we have "pledge promises" not actual cash in hand and defiently not book sin the warehouse.

If you troll back through these pages, you'll find the research I did on the current reseller prices. The price of the donation is still significantly cheaper than that option.
    I'm only comparing the pledge rewards. They don't sum up. It is cheaper to create 2 separate pledges for 1 book and 2 books than one pledge for 3 books. Which is weird.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Not scroll?
    It's dark in my cave . . . sometimes I don't see the keys.

Also, a note on signatures.
    Whenever Rich would sign books at conventions, he would ALWAYS personalize the signatures with a message and/or an oots style doodle. So you know you'll be getting something special just for you. I can't conclusively say how he'll be doing these, but since they are a limited quantity, I would wager that they will be done in the same fashion.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-01-26 at 04:54 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

13. - Top - End - #703
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm only comparing the pledge rewards. They don't sum up. It is cheaper to create 2 separate pledges for 1 book and 2 books than one pledge for 3 books. Which is weird.
    Huh. That is a little weird.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Troll in the Playground

Finally made my own pledge...autographed OOPC for me!

Edit: And now it's sold out. Wow!
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2012-01-26 at 04:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Isn't it so, that you compare two fixed packages with one open package? So to say the "cheaper" version is exactly those books, while the "more expensive" is more flexible? Because that's very usual as i see it.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There's other oddities in the pricing as well.

For example, if you use the Pick 3 box ($94) and use +30 for one more thick, and +16 for one more thin, you end up with $140.

Up to the Split costs $192 - meaning that SSaDT costs $52!

For me, I'm just keeping my pledge for the signed stuff (that doesn't have a retail price and is what it is worth to me), and buying the unsigned version retail.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The three book plan ($94) is more flexible (has many different options), and thus has the potential to cost more. After all SoD costs more than OtOoPCs.

If the seven dollars means that much to you, create a separate Kickstarter account and congratulate yourself on a job well done, savings-wise.

A bit more seriously, I'll note that two Pledge Points can not be the sam price, thus it is entirely possible that some points might be off in any one given direction. But really, are we really going to microanalyze a difference of 7 dollars?

Finally to have every possible permutation might well cause 50 or 60 pledge points (presuming they could all be separated, dollar wise). And even though we might get close to that eventually (), I think Rich might want to keep it as simple as possible for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-26 at 05:03 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #708
    Dwarf in the Playground

And we are now at $170k.

19. - Top - End - #709

Switched from War and XPs to a signed Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, since I don't have it yet and it will be cool to have the one that started it all.

Though I would also like a copy of War and XPs and No Cure for the Paladin Blues... dang, I wish we could select multiple reward packages. I do see that the DCF one lets you add a skinny book for $32, but I already have all the skinny books...

Rich, would it be possible to get a compilation of all the non-skinny books(Sort of like Up To The Split, only without the print-only books)? Maybe not, since there is already a bazillion reward options, but it would still be cool.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Because he's been adding them as it goes on. The prices aren't simply the price he'd be charging on Ookookdook. It's more, since you're also putting in for reprinting a copy for someone else, basically. An $8 mistake is not exactly the end of the world. It's a completely understandable miscount, given that you're already donating more than the price of the book to begin with, and he's been adding these packages over the span of a few days. If it really bothers you, don't pledge at all and buy them from Ookookdook for even less when they're reprinted.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    If the seven dollars means that much to you, create a separate Kickstarter account and congratulate yourself on a job well done, savings-wise.

A bit more seriously, I'll note that two Pledge Points can not be the sam price, thus it is entirely possible that some points might be off in any one given direction. But really, are we really going to microanalyze a difference of 7 dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Because he's been adding them as it goes on. The prices aren't simply the price he'd be charging on Ookookdook. It's more, since you're also putting in for reprinting a copy for someone else, basically. An $8 mistake is not exactly the end of the world. It's a completely understandable miscount, given that you're already donating more than the price of the book to begin with, and he's been adding these packages over the span of a few days. If it really bothers you, don't pledge at all and buy them from Ookookdook for even less when they're reprinted.
    That all makes sense, but to be fair to the original poster, I didn't get the impression that he was being critical at all. If anything, highlighting the distinction might be very helpful to people on a tight budget, who nevertheless still want to support the drive. Anyway, this isn't really applicable to me since I went for signed books, but I still thought that it was an interesting observation.
    Last edited by headhoncho; 2012-01-26 at 05:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

To piggyback what NerfTW said, if someone wants to get multiple pledges because they're cheaper than a larger point, just sign up for multiple kickstarter accounts and order it. There. Done. Simples.

But on one level the whole point of a pledge drive is: Is "X package worth it to me to give Y money to Person/Group Z" (remembering that some people will peldge an amount and expect nothing in return). If so, then it really doesn't matter if there are better options one could make. But if what someone wants is to make the best deal possible, take the steps to get it.

Even if one ignores the peculiarites of USPS shipping costs (which have been discussed to death here and elesewhere), the thing is Rich can't change the amount a pledge point costs even if he wanted to once someone has chosen it.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-26 at 05:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

It's dark in my cave . . . sometimes I don't see the keys.
    Your keyboard may be eaten by a grue.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by headhoncho View Post
    That all makes sense, but to be fair to the original poster, I didn't get the impression that he was being critical at all. If anything, highlighting the distinction might be very helpful to people on a tight budget, who nevertheless still want to support the drive.
    Fair enuf. I was just highlighting that if someone wants to try to maximize "Pledge" v "Stuff Gotten Back in Return", then, well, do it.

25. - Top - End - #715

Look, it's just my greedy nature. If 3 was equal to 2+1 it wouldn't matter. And I don't even need 2 magnets. Hell, I don't even need 1 magnet.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know how he does it, but the Giant has found a way to make my pledge increase almost every day. Stupid, irresistible rewards.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Dwarf in the Playground

To the guy asking why it costs more to order 3 than to order 2+1 see the faq:

How come it costs more to ship two books internationally than it does to ship one book twice?

It's a quirk of the shipping rates. See, one book fits in a US Priority Mail flat rate envelope, while two or more books require a US Priority Mail flat rate box. The box has a higher rate than two of the envelopes, unfortunately. But there is good news: that box can hold up to ten books, with no further increase in postage! So if you're ordering two books overseas, see if you can find a friend to chip in for a third one. You'll all save money, and we'll save on packing supplies. Everyone wins!

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    For $57 you can get No-Cure & Snips together.
    $89, actually. It's 32 to add the skinny on to the fatty.

This is going awesomely.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there a limit on how many reward options can be given on one kick starter?

Because the money keeps flowing and every time there's a new reward option (especially for signed copies), things seem to spike (if only a little).

Now, I know Rich would probably stop at some point for the sake of the work load going on him, but I'm just curious on that.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

QUESTION(S) for The Giant!
    ...or for whoever is capable of answering, really.

I've put in enough money to get the last book I'm missing (War and XPs) and get it shipped to Italy, so my collection is complete.

However, I just read (on update #5) that it could soon become possible to get the whole collection in one swoop.
    Now, I have introduced my best friend and long time D&D player to OotS, and I'd like to get the whole OotS collection for him, as a present.

So I'm wondering:
    1. Should I try it now, or wait to be sure all books are printed?
    2. How much would I need to add (I pledged $55) in order to get that kind of reward?
    3. Can I put two separate pledges with only one e-mail, so to get both the whole collection for him AND an additional copy of "War and XPs" for me?

Thank you for your attention!