New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

i suspect that V might be both genders. at once!
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think of V as a woman. V seems to be a very proper elf who said her marraige was the happiest moment of her life. I she were a man it would be a married man sleeping in the same room as a single woman. That doesn't sound very proper to me.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brilliantlight View Post
    I think of V as a woman. V seems to be a very proper elf who said her marraige was the happiest moment of her life. I she were a man it would be a married man sleeping in the same room as a single woman. That doesn't sound very proper to me.
    Now that depends on your opinion of what is proper. As is just sharing a room with a close paternal friend, that may be considered perfectly exceptable in Elven society. After all, you yourself think it would be OK if V is female & if her society has her views on gender, then it would be OK regardless of Ear's gender.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It might not sound very proper from the perspective of a human from Earth, but Elves quite possibly do not think the same as we do; for all we know, it would be considered improper for an Elf to sleep in the same room as someone who wasn't a close friend, and Haley has known V longer than any of the rest of the Order have. Also, it's notable that V has difficulty telling human genders apart--he didn't know what all the fuss was about when Roy was wearing the Belt of Gender Changing.

5. - Top - End - #305

V is a herm. ^^

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm not sure if anyone has said this already (there have been alot of posts), but I tend to think of V as male, if only because his/her name is masculine. In Latin, the suffix "us" is masculine while "a" is feminine. So a guy would be Varsuvius, and a girl would be Varsuvia. Mind you, I do understand that V doesn't come from rome, but that's just my take on it.
    ...MAGIC MISSILE!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

GOT IT! This will settle the debate once and for all, as well as debunking one of the most cited strips in this debate! Vaarsuvius WAS a man. Roy referred to him as "V-Man," and Roy would probably know best. However, upon using his arcane powers on the gender-bender belt, some of its power was transferred to him, forcing him into a perpetual state of gender limbo! He is Schroedinger's character, existing in both male and female states at the same time!
    Anyone who said anything is foolproof obviously underestimated the resourcefulness of complete idiots.

Spoiler
    Show

OFFICIAL DEFENDER OF MONKS, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL!

Current characters:
    -Wild Elf Warlock
    -Orc Dragon Shaman

Shameless Plug! Help us grow!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    The only ansver to this is that people are much less gendered than some of you think. The traits you list above for V are not masculine, they are just human.

Some societies and ethnic groups still think a woman is supposed inherently kind, meek and unambitious. That's just cultural baggage of a rather nasty kind. Gender racism.
    I think this is not the right forum to this kind of discussion, the term "gender racism" is too harsh to be the conclusion of a 50 word text. What you just did is called "ethnocentrism" of a "rather nasty kind".

Hail the cultural relativism.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You have to factor in that in terms of Elf years, Haley is actually a toddler.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Excuse me, cause I may be wrong, but isn't there a magic item that removes gender entirely?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yerocha View Post
    Excuse me, cause I may be wrong, but isn't there a magic item that removes gender entirely?
    My gosh... an answer! Finally an answer! A completely D&D compatable, viable answer with less counter-arguments than the other answers. Brilliant!
    Fanclubs: Woooooooo! I'm invisible! ; )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lepreachaun suit provider of the Thog fan club.

Cheif Tuna Maker of the Mr. Scruffy fan club

Go Salvatore!
    1st edition = good edition.
    Thanks to Sneak for the great avatar of my D&D character, Tre of the Wood!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Yerocha View Post
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre of the Wood View Post
    My gosh... an answer! Finally an answer! A completely D&D compatable, viable answer with less counter-arguments than the other answers. Brilliant!
    Sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #313
    Pixie in the Playground

i say V is not male or female.

Feed my dragons by clicking the eggs...now!

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

There are so many strong opinions on each side of the debate (male, female, both or neither) that I doubt everyone will be convinced even if V's gender is officially revealed.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Yeah, s/he could walk around naked and people could argue that s/he used illusion to look differently.
    You have just received the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I agree that, ultimately, V's gender is irrelevant.

That said, if V was male, it would completely ruin the "Charlie's Angels" moment in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0239.html
    Because, in the end, there only 10 types of people in the world: those who read binary, and those who don't.

"What gate?"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snadgeros View Post
    GOT IT! This will settle the debate once and for all, as well as debunking one of the most cited strips in this debate! Vaarsuvius WAS a man. Roy referred to him as "V-Man," and Roy would probably know best. However, upon using his arcane powers on the gender-bender belt, some of its power was transferred to him, forcing him into a perpetual state of gender limbo! He is Schroedinger's character, existing in both male and female states at the same time!
    first of all if anyone knew V better it would be Haley second of all Roy calls V V-man only because he is refurring to V not because he KNOWS the gender he probly just (like us) only THINKS V is male and is saying V-man to direct attention towards him/her

and personally i think V is female...but who cares? :D
    Last edited by Wolfie_1066; 2008-02-07 at 10:09 AM.
    help my little dragons to be: please click this link and view them, help me care for them!
    PS: due to overexurtion...my eggs in the incubator are dead...please help my new eggs :)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't read everything, so, sorry if this has already been said, but the oracle said V would achieve ultimate power by saying the right 4 words to the right person at the right time for all the wrong reasons or something like that, maybe what s/he says is if s/he is a boy or a girl.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

T'would be quite hillarious if the entirety of everything hinged on V revealing his/her gender.
    Last edited by Corrupted One; 2008-05-03 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

I think of V mostly as a woman... Though I appreciate the gender jokes and stuff, but I think in the beginning, V was thought to be... female!
    My reasons:
    1) a party with only one female was just... lame... me thinks. There gotta be at least two.
    2) When Haley talks about the magical shoes she found, V replied expressing his/her agreement to her conundrum (it could be taken sarcastic, but I like to point it out like this) This means V is either female or a male with a lot of interest in fashion (who mentioned V's mate being male this way or the other? ^^')
    3) After Elan was... invisible... Haley and Roy had the speech about his 'weopan of choice' and the mention of V and the way they talk also indicates V being female, me thinks.

After this point it always gets a little shady... I like to count things as Haley and V sharing a room or Belkar kissing V and V actually thinking, Belkar could feel lust for her/him too be a hint... Or the way V talks to Sabine disguise is kinda much like two women would do...
    Though, just my thoughts.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think of V as female, but with a masculine sounding voice. As someone said earlier in this thread, imagining V with a male British voice is funny.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I think of V mostly as a woman... Though I appreciate the gender jokes and stuff, but I think in the beginning, V was thought to be... female!
    Joke? Which joke? Came on, Vaarsuvius gender has been a tired joke for half of the time, and is actually a so dead horse that Oots characters itself stopped refer to it. A good time to do the joke and cash some point was at the end of the Black Dragon story, the Vaarsuvius morph back to elf. Belkar used the last usable pun trying to recognize the gender of a lizard, and that is. Having Vaarsuvius hide behind the conveniently posed dragon tail was the "nadir of any originality in this comics".

Actually Vaarsuvius's mysterious gender is a sort of trap for the author (1). Revealing it will inevitably cause rage and depression in a wing of his audience, and a potential flame war on the chant of "I told you!" and "The Giant betrayed his characters!".

I, for myself, concluded that Vaarsuvius is a male elf, until differently proved. Period. Anyone is free to have a different opinion.

Just to know, that's your gender?

... I'd have to look at the character sheet. Hold a moment.

(1) Obviously, Mr. Burlew already proved to be an uncanny writer, and I wont be surprised to see him exit this trap with class and fun. Actually, I'd be delighted.

Laurentio

23. - Top - End - #323
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio View Post
    Having Vaarsuvius hide behind the conveniently posed dragon tail was the "nadir of any originality in this comics".
    I tought that he/she/it was placed behind the dragon to avoid full frontal stick-figure nudity, not to hide V's gender... altough it probably was used to both avoid nudity and avoid the awnser for the question

24. - Top - End - #324

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio View Post
    ... I'd have to look at the character sheet. Hold a moment.
    I expect when s/he checked that there would be a mysterious inkblot across the two gender tick-boxes...
    Caractacus

25. - Top - End - #325

BlueWizardGirl

I've always seen V as a male elf who happens to look effeminate, which is normal for male elves, as they tend to be something of prettyboys. (Bishounen look is SOOO cute! ) I think Haley allows him to share a room with her because he is a gay male elf and so there is no thought of anything untoward with him. I think his orientation is also the reason he refers to his life partner as his "mate" and not "husband" or "wife".

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel
    I think his orientation is also the reason he refers to his life partner as his "mate" and not "husband" or "wife".
    No, I think s/he refers to her/his husband/wife that way because if s/he said husband you'd know she's female, and if he said wife, you'd know that he's male.
    ~~This post brought to you in part by HALEYINTRAINING~~

Spoiler
    Show
    Haley's Gone Catmuffin!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey! Being like Haley is harder than it looks!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I totally have trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know where they went, but they were Damsel itp gold and Autumn itp bronze.
    Credits: Kwarkpudding (x2) and rtg0922. You both rock!

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've always thought of V as an Elf. Not male, ot female, just Elf. Not that there aren't genders in elves, they just don't matter very much.

It was only later that I ralized that I had not actually assigned V a gender in my head.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    After this point it always gets a little shady... I like to count things as Belkar kissing V and V actually thinking, Belkar could feel lust for her/him too be a hint.
    But in V's theory, Belkar could technically also feel lust for Roy or Gerald Ford. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Meh. It depends on the comic. In the older ones, I prefer to see V as a guy. But now, after the part where V was turned into... what was it? A weasel, or ferret, or something? After that, I think, V makes more sense to me as a girl...

30. - Top - End - #330

While V's sex may be in debate, I believe her gender to show androgyny.

I think she is female.