New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Meh, I think the PT hate tends to be extremely exaggerated and out of proportion. It's just a matter of knowing that it's not the same kind of movie and adjusting your expectations accordingly: You watch the OT for the story and characters, and the PT for the lightsaber duels and huge battles.
    I prefer the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy. The fighting style in the prequels looks like a good way to allow your opponant to stab you in the back. Just, you know. Throwing that out there.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with the Transformers movies either. You have to watch them for CG robots and product placements and not trivial things like plot, characters, dialogue, or acting.
    I would have been fine with this, but Michael Bay kept introducing things like "plot", "humans" and "Shia LaBoef". And then the robot on robot violence was so poorly edited I had no idea what was going on and he managed to ruin that too.

I had zero interest in watching any other Transformer movies =P

3. - Top - End - #303
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I had zero interest in watching any other Transformer movies =P
    Not even the one with the Stan Bush soundtrack? The one where a whole clump of characters were killed off to make way for new toys? The one where robotic dinosaurs proceed to beat at a titanic robot for whom they are mere gnats... and actually do damage?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    And then the robot on robot violence was so poorly edited I had no idea what was going on and he managed to ruin that too.
    ???
    Seriously. I keep hearing this and I don't get it; I found the robot on robot fights to be easy to follow and very well done.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    ???
    Seriously. I keep hearing this and I don't get it; I found the robot on robot fights to be easy to follow and very well done.
    Found it a confusing, muddled mess. It may be because a lot of the robots ended up looking alike; lots of gray and not much color differentiation. No real wideshots to establish where the participants are spatially, lots of shaky, close-ups instead.

I have the same complaints about the Bourne series. I grew up on extended martial arts fights without much in the way of cuts, so I find this kind of movie editing disorienting and dizzying.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Episode I was racist with alien stand-ins for offensive stereotypes of black (Jar-Jar), Jewish (Wazoo...Wato..flying greedy guy with big nose) and Chinesse (Trade Federation).

Episode II and III suffer from the fact that the actors of Padme and Anakin cannot sell the chemistry and romance, their entire body language speaks something completely different from what their dialogues says, making scenes with them very creepy.
    Then people don't know there sterotypes. Jar Jar was jamican not black. The accent says it all.

Seriously, people need to get educated.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    John Williams is Star Wars. They won't screw with that.
    John Williams is also eighty years old. They'd best get cracking on the score if they want to be sure they get him.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Then people don't know there sterotypes. Jar Jar was jamican not black. The accent says it all.

Seriously, people need to get educated.

Uh, that's kind of splitting hairs though really. More importantly it doesn't make Jar Jar any less a potentially offensive stereotype.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-05 at 05:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Uh, that's kind of splitting hairs though really. More importantly it doesn't make Jar Jar any less a potentially offensive stereotype.
    i liked Jar Jar. he was one of my favorites, as was Wato. how was Wato a stereotypical Jewish, by the way? he didnt seem to fit any such stereotypes i knew of.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Only the Trade Federation as Chinese stereotypes came across to me. I've never really known any Jewish stereotypes and the black (or Jamaican) ones weren't readily apparent to me. The Gungans seemed to me like incompetent fishpeople -- or at least JarJar did, because if they were already incompetent, then the droids must've been even worse.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    i liked Jar Jar. he was one of my favorites, as was Wato. how was Wato a stereotypical Jewish, by the way? he didnt seem to fit any such stereotypes i knew of.
    Well, he had a big nose, and was a greedy penny-pincher. Those are some of the most common jewish stereotypes.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing what I now know of Jewish stereotypes though, I can say that we can assume Wato wasn't one, because we never saw his mother.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Machinekng View Post
    Well, he had a big nose, and was a greedy penny-pincher. Those are some of the most common jewish stereotypes.
    alright, that explains it. not big on Jewish stereotypes, so i didnt notice it.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Wato is the flying hand-wringing merchant/slave owner alien from episode one right? I had assumed he was a stereotypical Arab, but I suppose the antisemitic caricature is there too.

I honestly don't see why these overtly offensive stereotypes were abused throughout the films, I was like 9 when I saw the Phantom Menace and even I recognized that the Gungans were pretty poorly conceived.

Even Disney learnt to avoid those by the 90's.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Meh, I think the PT hate tends to be extremely exaggerated and out of proportion.
    I agree. I think people have been reinforcing their hate through internet group-think. My take is that the prequel movies were okay. Not great, but not awful either.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

The thing about the whole group-think thing is, it's rather a convenient way to dismiss something out of hand that may infact actually just be a legitimate general consensus.

Whether or not that's the case in this instance is for you all to judge for yourselves, of course.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Banned

Are...are you actually being serious?

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Are...are you actually being serious?
    of course. both great characters IMO

19. - Top - End - #319
    Banned

of course. both great characters IMO

I think you may be the only person anywhere to have this opinion.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    The thing about the whole group-think thing is, it's rather a convenient way to dismiss something out of hand that may infact actually just be a legitimate general consensus.

Whether or not that's the case in this instance is for you all to judge for yourselves, of course.
    I just checked the website rotten tomatoes, which evalutes movies based on both audience and critic feedback. Their "cutoff" between a good movie and a bad movie is 60% approval.

The Phantom Menace got a 57% approval rating from critics and a 62% approval rating from fans. This is a "meh" grade.

Attack of the Clones got a 67% approval rating from critics and a 66% approval rating from fans. This is "meh" to "ok."

Revenge of the Sith got an 80% approval rating from critics and a 65% approval rating from fans. This is "ok" to "good."

I think in the seven years since Revenge of the Sith, more and more people have bought into the views of the detractors, many of whom proclaim that the prequels "destroyed their childhood memories" and "Lucas ruined Star Wars," etc., etc. Since most people who like the movies only like them moderately--and those who dislike the movies have stronger feelings--there isn't much of a debate (because supporters don't want to get into the argument)

So, on message boards, conventions, comic-cons, etc. one usually only hears one side of the debate and the "hard-core" fans begin to buy into the "hatred hypothesis." Thus, even though a majority of fans and critics liked all of the prequels, the geek community's group-think has deemed them totally awful.
    Last edited by snoopy13a; 2012-11-05 at 10:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I think you may be the only person anywhere to have this opinion.
    thats cool. its good to be different

22. - Top - End - #322
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

Thoughts on the prequels...

There was some stuff to like about them. Truly, they're not bad movies.

-Jar Jar was a legitimately awful idea. I didn't mind the rest of the gungans quite as much but really, they could've done better.

-Some people complain that the prequels were too "polished" compared to the originals. I actually like that. To me, it enforces that the average person's standard of living and the general quality of life had decreased since the Republic was replaced by the Empire.

-Darth Maul and Count Dooku were actually pretty cool. Neither of them usurped Vader (which is really a good thing, I guess. Vader is the end all be all Sith) but they felt like proper Sith. General Grievous, on the other hand, had no business holding a lightsaber.

-Some of the political stuff in the 3rd movie was really good, I thought. Padme's line "So this is how democracy dies. With thunderous applause" (or something to that effect) really clicked for me.

-On the contrary, the politics in the 1st movie were crap.

-On the other hand, Anakin was a whiny bitch and clearly did not have any chemistry with Padme.

-The pod race was stupid.

-The lightsaber duels were...too cool. The originals felt more realistic, while these just got silly.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I just checked the website rotten tomatoes, which evalutes movies based on both audience and critic feedback. Their "cutoff" between a good movie and a bad movie is 60% approval.

The Phantom Menace got a 57% approval rating from critics and a 62% approval rating from fans. This is a "meh" grade.

Attack of the Clones got a 67% approval rating from critics and a 66% approval rating from fans. This is "meh" to "ok."

Revenge of the Sith got an 80% approval rating from critics and a 65% approval rating from fans. This is "ok" to "good."

I think in the seven years since Revenge of the Sith, more and more people have bought into the views of the detractors, many of whom proclaim that the prequels "destroyed their childhood memories" and "Lucas ruined Star Wars," etc., etc. Since most people who like the movies only like them moderately--and those who dislike the movies have stronger feelings--there isn't much of a debate (because supporters don't want to get into the argument)

So, on message boards, conventions, comic-cons, etc. one usually only hears one side of the debate and the "hard-core" fans begin to buy into the "hatred hypothesis." Thus, even though a majority of fans and critics liked all of the prequels, the geek community's group-think has deemed them totally awful.
    Well, I don't know anything about arbitrary cutoff points, but the general figures there pretty much match my experiences on discussing the prequels with people. The First tends to be much more widely reviled than the last. That's not a small difference in percentage. At least on the critic side.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-05 at 10:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    Padme's line "So this is how democracy dies. With thunderous applause" (or something to that effect) really clicked for me.
    congratulations, i think you just quoted that word for word...good on you. i also liked her "no, this is what we call 'agressive negotiations'" line.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Banned

congratulations, i think you just quoted that word for word...good on you. i also liked her "no, this is what we call 'agressive negotiations'" line.
    That was a stupid one liner to me.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That was a stupid one liner to me.
    really? i actually found it funny...

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

I thought it was sort of funny. It seemed like something her character really would say, so as a one liner it worked.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machinekng View Post
    Those almost seem to be stereotypical stereotypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Well for starters he had the hat that is very jewish in design. Then he was short, fat, ugly, very greedy with bad teeth and a large nose.

I say that is about 10 for 10 on the Jewish stereotype

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Wato is the flying hand-wringing merchant/slave owner alien from episode one right? I had assumed he was a stereotypical Arab, but I suppose the antisemitic caricature is there too.
    Well both Jews and Arabs are Semites...

As for the pod race: I didn't like it, but I loved the homage to Ben Hur.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-11-06 at 02:35 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    I thought it was sort of funny. It seemed like something her character really would say, so as a one liner it worked.
    In the heat of a battle that could claim your life and the lives of dozens of you friends/allies, that sort of dialogue exchange is not going to happen.
    Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2012-11-06 at 02:34 AM.