New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Conventions! Rob and Jamie's Con Schedule

Recently got back from ConnectiCon, where I went to the panel.

I forgot to ask: are we allowed to spill some of the things said there in this forum? In particular, that announcement...?

And by the way, for anyone on the edge about seeing the Erfworld panel at the con, I highly recommend it. Not only was it fun to listen to them, they gave us candy!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

I'll try to make it for Penguincon, seeing how it's about 15 minutes from me.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pie View Post
    Recently got back from ConnectiCon, where I went to the panel.

I forgot to ask: are we allowed to spill some of the things said there in this forum? In particular, that announcement...?

And by the way, for anyone on the edge about seeing the Erfworld panel at the con, I highly recommend it. Not only was it fun to listen to them, they gave us candy!
    Evil person...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Evil person...
    Who, me?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Who, me?
    Yes, very evil...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zictor View Post
    Yes, very evil...
    I assure you I am actually quite the opposite. I just happen to value the desires of Rob and Jamie more than the people on this forum. Sorry.

I do hope I get some sort of response soon, though I can understand the delay. They did say that the forum-goers scare them more than Wanda. And they went out of their way to say just how much Wanda scares them.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I assure you I am actually quite the opposite. I just happen to value the desires of Rob and Jamie more than the people on this forum. Sorry.

I do hope I get some sort of response soon, though I can understand the delay. They did say that the forum-goers scare them more than Wanda. And they went out of their way to say just how much Wanda scares them.
    The evil was that you stuck the question out there publicly, thereby taunting us, as opposed to sending them a PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

The evil was that you stuck the question out there publicly, thereby taunting us, as opposed to sending them a PM.
    Fine, fine, I confess I have a slight evil streak.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

It's all right to talk about what was said on the panel. I just won't vouch for the accuracy of anything anyone might believe they heard.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

10. - Top - End - #40
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    It's all right to talk about what was said on the panel. I just won't vouch for the accuracy of anything anyone might believe they heard.
    Welcome to the fog of war rumor.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

They did say that the forum-goers scare them more than Wanda. And they went out of their way to say just how much Wanda scares them.
    What? How are we so scary?

Oh, right...

Nevermind.

(With thanks to TigerHunter and Scientivore, whose posts I borrowed for... illustrative purposes.)
    Last edited by zillion ninjas; 2007-07-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: props
    "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

............- Niels Bohr, co-founder of quantum theory

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

And I'm the evil one?

Well, I'll just keep it to the basics, then, starting with that announcement mentioned: Erfworld spinoff involving Parson's gaming group.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

And I'm the evil one?

Well, I'll just keep it to the basics, then, starting with that announcement mentioned: Erfworld spinoff involving Parson's gaming group.
    we already know see other tuesday deal thread.still evil.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

we already know see other tuesday deal thread.still evil.
    Shh, this is fun.

All right, all right. They had the artist of the spinoff join them at their little table about halfway through the panel. It is the man with that smiley-face yarmulka, who happens to be an artist. Apparently, he mentioned to Rob Balder the idea of him doing some guest comics, and Rob decided to run with that into an idea of a spinoff. I think they said it's planned to be at least 100 pages long. They kept us in suspense about the plot itself.

Some other details I can remember from the panel...

They gave us candy!

Apparently Wanda is so booping scary right now because Rob and Jamie keep one-upping her scariness, in both behavior and appearance.

They have been approached by several gaming companies already about making a game based off Erfworld. They are going to wait and see what the best offer they receive is before they sign with any company.

Rob does the lettering of the comic, which allows him to take a second pass at writing the dialog to better fit it to the art. This is apparently a genius strategy. The same system is being used for the spinoff, though with a different artist and author; results are reportedly similarly as good.

As far as plot goes, all they gave us was that veiling has plenty of drawbacks. We'll find out what they are shortly.

Speaking of plot, the "PLOT" panel is the central joke of Erfworld. And they were selling their first Erfworld t-shirts with had the panel on it, and they look very good.

More details as my memory comes back to me (it was a exciting weekend, gimmie a break) and as other people from the panel hopefully start posting here.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Shh, this is fun.

All right, all right. They had the artist of the spinoff join them at their little table about halfway through the panel. It is the man with that smiley-face yarmulka, who happens to be an artist. Apparently, he mentioned to Rob Balder the idea of him doing some guest comics, and Rob decided to run with that into an idea of a spinoff. I think they said it's planned to be at least 100 pages long. They kept us in suspense about the plot itself.

Some other details I can remember from the panel...

They gave us candy!

Apparently Wanda is so booping scary right now because Rob and Jamie keep one-upping her scariness, in both behavior and appearance.

They have been approached by several gaming companies already about making a game based off Erfworld. They are going to wait and see what the best offer they receive is before they sign with any company.

Rob does the lettering of the comic, which allows him to take a second pass at writing the dialog to better fit it to the art. This is apparently a genius strategy. The same system is being used for the spinoff, though with a different artist and author; results are reportedly similarly as good.

As far as plot goes, all they gave us was that veiling has plenty of drawbacks. We'll find out what they are shortly.

Speaking of plot, the "PLOT" panel is the central joke of Erfworld. And they were selling their first Erfworld t-shirts with had the panel on it, and they look very good.

More details as my memory comes back to me (it was a exciting weekend, gimmie a break) and as other people from the panel hopefully start posting here.
    YEAH A POTENTIAL GAME... *drools*

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, so not commenting on anything that was said at the panel, here's a summary of CTCon...

It was a very good con, and we were treated graciously by the organizers. We thank them for their work and their kind hospitality. I think most of the people who were not with us had a great time.

Unfortunately, we had a curse on our trip that lasted all 4 days. It was an uphill battle all the way, full of obstacles which were outside our control. From the screen printer delaying the shirts, to double-puncturing a tire in the rental van, to traffic and rain and other logistical nightmares, to personal drama (not between me and Jamie, for the record), to various other weirdness and disappointments and distractions...it was just an ordeal.

There were good parts, for me at least.

I loved seeing all of those other webcomics creators, too many to name. Suffice it to say that if you read many webcomics, some of the creators of your favorites were there. I'm as much a fan of creators as I am of their comics, and I got to spend time with some of my favorite people.

The Erfworld panel was fun to do, but I wish I had thought more about what we'd say and do. Stolen candy is sweeter!

My concert with The FuMP went well, and the crowd dug it. Thanks to Luke Ski and Sudden Death for coming out.

All in all, there were things I wish we had done differently. But I don't know what we could have done to make this con work better for us.

Next time, we fly.

17. - Top - End - #47

PirateWench

Hey, if you're flying to DragonCon but want to take some big/bulky stuff (within limits) let me know. I'd be happy to throw it in the back of my car. I'm driving down from Maryland that Thursday(30th). Only catch, we're going straight from the con to a VA timeshare the week after, so I wouldn't be back up here until the following Sunday (9th).
    Last edited by One Skunk Todd; 2007-07-18 at 03:42 PM.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you still coming to GenCon? If so, will you have your own booth, or will you be selling out of a particular companies booth? We want details! We are less than a month away! Thanks
    BTW,yes, I'm the fellow formerly known as Uthmah, the Negotiator. Somehow, during the forum changeover, it got changed back to RBPRX1204. Sorry for the confusion.
    Hi, all. Yes, I love Ceres, with all my heart. http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/ceres47/?&&Write me if you think we should have a GITP get together at Gencon 07.&&http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...GENCON%202006/
    http://www.myspace.com/pyrecat
    KFG member since 2007

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

In case anyone is interested, since this site isn't just OoTS, we are playing around with the idea of having a forum meetup for members attending GenCon.

Get in on the planning and the details going on here in this thread on Friendly Banter.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50949

And I am looking forward to meeting pclips and whoever else might be around from these creative endeavors at GenCon.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

20. - Top - End - #50

I saw on goblinscomic.com that the author will be sharing a booth with Rob.
    I thought you might be interested...
    This and more is in the "Goblin News" section at the bottom of the page.

For those of you who will be at the Con, I'll be on two panels (Thursday 1pm and Saturday 8pm) and Danielle and I will be at our booth (number 2241) which we will be sharing with Rob Balder of Erfworld fame. Also at our booth, will be the infuriatingly talented Patrick Rothfuss. The amazing author of The Name of the Wind, who will be signing autographes and probably stealing my fries.

thanx to Abardam for these fantastic Erfworldstyle sigatars
    For the awesome 'The Wolf'-sigatar I thank Sampi.
    Kd7sov, thank you for the Girl Genius, Agatha Heterodyne avatar

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

for everyone....the newest addition!
    BTW,yes, I'm the fellow formerly known as Uthmah, the Negotiator. Somehow, during the forum changeover, it got changed back to RBPRX1204. Sorry for the confusion.
    Hi, all. Yes, I love Ceres, with all my heart. http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/ceres47/?&&Write me if you think we should have a GITP get together at Gencon 07.&&http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...GENCON%202006/
    KFG member since 2007

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RBPRX1204 View Post
    for everyone....the newest addition!
    O_O

^_^ Gob[l|w]ins Unite!

What do the speech bubbles say? They're not legible in the picture.
    "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

............- Niels Bohr, co-founder of quantum theory

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

From Rob's right to left (or left to right if you are looking at it):

Goblin for Goblins webcomic: "Shouldn't that be 'Inter-Universal?'"

Redcloak from OOTS: " Yes,and I'm sure nitpicking will fix it up right away."

Gobwin from Erfworld: "Technically, I'm a Gobwin..."

Edit: BTW, had a great time helping you out Rob. Actually turned out to be one of my happier memories of this years GenCon. Hope you got all the shirts sold! RP
    Last edited by RBPRX1204; 2007-08-20 at 10:33 AM.
    KFG member since 2007

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Rob are you still coming to Dragon*Con? I didn't see you anywhere on the guest lists.
    "Belkar Bitterleaf" a.k.a. "The Belkster" a.k.a. "Death's Li'l Helper"

Run, my pretty little chunks of XP! Run!

I really missed saying just three little words that meant so much to me, personally.
    SNEAK ATTACK --- BITCH!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mizak View Post
    Rob are you still coming to Dragon*Con? I didn't see you anywhere on the guest lists.
    Yeah I am fairly annoyed at the general disorganization and lack of communication on the part of Dragon*Con this year, but I am going. I will be on the EFF Track webcomics panel. I will have concerts on the concourse and on the filk track and will be in the big comedy show. I will have a table in the Hyatt for selling CDs and some of that Erf merch, including whatever "Goblin Solidarity" shirts may be left after we put up the page for web sales of those. If you're at Dragon*Con you will be able to find me.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RBPRX1204 View Post
    From Rob's right to left (or left to right if you are looking at it):

Goblin for Goblins webcomic: "Shouldn't that be 'Inter-Universal?'"

Redcloak from OOTS: " Yes,and I'm sure nitpicking will fix it up right away."

Gobwin from Erfworld: "Technically, I'm a Gobwin..."

Edit: BTW, had a great time helping you out Rob. Actually turned out to be one of my happier memories of this years GenCon. Hope you got all the shirts sold! RP
    Darnit! You reminded me that I wanted to get back the booth and pick up a T-Shirt. Grrrrrr.... Darn advancing in the NASCRAG 'tournament'. *shakes fist*

Also, Trog forgot that pclips's Gf might be able to show him how to make a duct tape wallet.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Well actually no I didn't forget. I stopped back to the booth and met her. She seemed very nice but was busily manning the booth. She was, however, fiddlling with duct tape at the time. Which made me remember the comment and I brought up the wallet comment but honestly I didn't figure any wallet was really forthcoming. She politely declined. Understandably.

And the panel was very interesting I thought. And entertaining. Many good questions were asked and the answers varied from person to person which provided a more realistic and personal snapshot of what goes on behind comics. It would appear that I have a LOT more planning, writing and work to do before any comic of mine would be ready to be published it seems.

Though I did get a bit of a kick out of Rob's reaction to one of the other panelists saying that they were working on the comic for several years before they started on it. The look would best be described as this one:

28. - Top - End - #58
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I will have a table in the Hyatt for selling CDs and some of that Erf merch, including whatever "Goblin Solidarity" shirts may be left after we put up the page for web sales of those.
    Per the 8/26/07 News item, the page is up now.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-08-26 at 08:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I will have a table in the Hyatt for selling CDs and some of that Erf merch, including whatever "Goblin Solidarity" shirts may be left after we put up the page for web sales of those.
    Hrm if I read right the dealer room/comic alley will be at the Hilton. Does that mean you will be there instead of the Hyatt? Or are you grouped with the band/performer groups that will have tables at the Hyatt? sorry.. I'm a DragonCon newbie..
    Last edited by Mizak; 2007-08-29 at 08:10 AM.
    "Belkar Bitterleaf" a.k.a. "The Belkster" a.k.a. "Death's Li'l Helper"

Run, my pretty little chunks of XP! Run!

I really missed saying just three little words that meant so much to me, personally.
    SNEAK ATTACK --- BITCH!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mizak View Post
    Hrm if I read right the dealer room/comic alley will be at the Hilton. Does that mean you will be there instead of the Hyatt? Or are you grouped with the band/performer groups that will have tables at the Hyatt? sorry.. I'm a DragonCon newbie..
    I will be in the Hyatt with the music performers. I plan to have the big tall Erfworld banner up, so look for that. Here's my schedule:

Friday

12:30 Hyatt Concourse - Rob Balder concert
    4:00 Hyatt 6&7 - Big Honkin Comedy Show (2.5 hours)

Saturday

10 pm Hyatt Inman - Rob Balder & The FuMP (was Rob Balder & Worm Quartet)

Sunday

4:00 Hyatt Regency V - EFF Track Webcomics Panel