New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Literaria, plane of tales

Working on creating my own plane based off of folk lore, fairy tales, and literature. Any ideas would be most helpful please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Literaria, plane of tales

The Plane of Tales.

Every time a bard scribes down another story, every time the wise man of the tribe recounts the story, and every time a new page is added to a tale, the Plane of Tales, or The Talewild, changes. As tales are forgotten, sections of the plane go into domancy. When the last copy of a tome is destroyed, a part of The Talewild is destroyed, the fabric of the Realm coming loose. When a tale is embellished, the Plane grows in size, and every time a new tail is created, a new Realm in the Talewild is created.

Creatures of the Talewild that have been noted by the few cutters that have been there from Sigil and are willing to spill the dark are -

Shaggy Dog
    Chekovs Gun
    Lovebeast
    Talespinner
    Machine of God

And there are much, much more.
    Gnome Wizard by DarkCorax

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

She meant, how would you make Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc, as D&D events in a custom 3.5 campaign setting.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dark Sun Gnome has a great starting point to help ya. Speaking as a Planescape veteran, my suggestion is as thus.

Take what tales we all know and love/hate, and twist'em. Twist them with that added fun that comes from mashing D&D with old tales. But, we need examples yes? Well, here's an example encounter/tale that has been woven time and time again, and may appear before our hapless adventurers.

Your party escapes the Underdark through a ill-used portal, only to wind up in another cavern. Only this cavern is alit with the eerie glow of a forest of giant mushrooms. Traveling along a worn path, you come upon a choice between two tunnels, and there between them is a monstrously sized beast of fur and claws. It speaks a question with an elegance dissonant from it's form. "And where are you off to by your lonesome? Do you require, directions?"

Essentially Underdarky version of Red Riding Hood / Devil at the Crossroads. Stranger danger!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RazDelacroix View Post
    Dark Sun Gnome has a great starting point to help ya. Speaking as a Planescape veteran, my suggestion is as thus.

Take what tales we all know and love/hate, and twist'em. Twist them with that added fun that comes from mashing D&D with old tales. But, we need examples yes? Well, here's an example encounter/tale that has been woven time and time again, and may appear before our hapless adventurers.

Your party escapes the Underdark through a ill-used portal, only to wind up in another cavern. Only this cavern is alit with the eerie glow of a forest of giant mushrooms. Traveling along a worn path, you come upon a choice between two tunnels, and there between them is a monstrously sized beast of fur and claws. It speaks a question with an elegance dissonant from it's form. "And where are you off to by your lonesome? Do you require, directions?"

Essentially Underdarky version of Red Riding Hood / Devil at the Crossroads. Stranger danger!
    Omg or a Cheshire bandersnatch wonderland thingy!!!!*trex arms*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    She meant, how would you make Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc, as D&D events in a custom 3.5 campaign setting.
    Red Riding Hood is an NPC and there are a ton of ways to stat her out depending on what level campaign/adventure you want. Ditto for Jack. The magic beans are wondrous items. The Big Bad Wolf could be an Anthropomorphic Wolf (as from Savage Species) or just an awakened wolf depending on how you want to use it.

Heck, if you watch ABC's Once Upon A Time, you can mine a ton of stuff from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sun Gnome View Post
    The Plane of Tales.
    Turning Chekov's Gun into a creature is kinda weird though. For those not familiar with the phrase it means that the dramatist shouldn't place a gun on stage unless it is intended to be used. Then, there's a Red Herring. I have no idea how you'd stat out a Deus Ex Machina as a creature though I've seen it as an overdeity here: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Deus_E...a_(3.5e_Deity).

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-12-30 at 11:55 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread