Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXIV: Now About 200% Longer Than Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...shapeshifter.
    Ditto?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    First off, I need to request for help.
    HELP
    I need some kind-hearted people to help with an issue I'm having with the piece of fiction I'm writing, Blue Moon in a Red Sky.
    Spoiler
    Show

First off, here's my initial request that I put on Ponychan:

Namely, what I need to know is plot cogency. By playing around with the description and tags, I've obfuscated the fact that BMiaRS is essentially an alternate history setting with ponies, and that ponykind has had a parallel history to mankind. (I.e. They both had industrial revolutions, the same empires, etc.) I want to make this as obvious as possible without being ham-fisted or stating it outright. So, with that in mind, could I get some help?

Replying with anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, is helpful. I really need some help with this last bit, and I can't thank you enough.
    There's a writing technique I came up with called 'seeding'. By using a small number of words and phrases you can communicate a huge amount of information by playing off popular culture and people's assumptions. If you start off a story with 'once upon a time' you've seeded the idea of fairy tales in people's heads - they know what to think, they make a whole bunch of assumptions, and then you can play with or subvert that.

Another example of seeding is, for instance, dropping the word 'Bethlehem' in your opening paragraph. Now it's about Jesus, and the entire story is coloured by that. You can riff off popular culture and expectations to a great degree with just a few carefully chosen words or phrases.

So, to answer your specific query, seed some lines from the cold war. Reds under the Bed. East Germany. Space Race, whatever. The best way to communicate a genre is to couch the story in the language of that genre.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    There are videos on Youtube already, if you want to catch it now.
    Er, thanks for the tip. I'm a bit concerned that they have the same watermark that'd be on the channel I'd watch, when my cable guide says it wasn't aired yet, but that's probably the cable people's way of doing it.

S2E2
    Spoiler
    Show
    But but but but but but but but what about the CMC's report on Discord!? There's no way they can finish that now!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

So, a bit belatedly, I watched - well, it's yesterday's episode now!

Spoiler
    Show
    That was hilarious! And Awesome! And hilarious!

I thought the pacing was a bit better, and that totally was written as a season closer, right down to the side-splitting Star Wars ending!

(I agree, they probably could have spun it out into a three-parter. My guess is that Hasbro wouldn't have let them, though - I mean, they didn't let 'em close the season out with this - which would have been a better capstone than Best Night Ever, I think.)

Additional thoughts:

Spike is the new Rainbow Dash. Therefore Spike must be shipped with everything and everyone, including the kitchen sink (happened with RD, so...)

This is, at least, an improvement over being the fanon punching-bag (and the canon-punching bag more often than not...!)

Spike/RD shipping is looking actually even more plausible (and, while Spike/Rarity is the best, Spike/Rainbow is a good second - heck even Bobcat ... Even Bobcat said he bought that one...)

(I suspect a fair rise in the amount of Spike shipping, even just from memetic mutation...)

Yay, mane six are now really famous! Blows that bit of fanon right out of the park. (And, honestly, I prefer them being Big Damn Heroes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, I predict a sharp hike in Big Sparkle.
    Also, yes. Very much so...

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    S2
    Spoiler
    Show
    A little abrupt at the end, I'd like to have seen Discord be something other than a pure villain.
    Bugger that. We've got enough "redeemable" villains already in this show, let's have at least one who is out-and-out villainous - about as Chaotic Evil as you're going to get in this sort of program...) I mean, for crying out loud, people are trying to redeem Blueblood and Gilda!

Also, on an unrelated note, as I watched Hero Factory and Thundercats before Doctor Who, I saw the Celestia advert, to which I found myself shouting "Why are you pink!"

It did, however, give me an amusing thought, whereby some entity kidnaps our dear sun goddess and replaces her with a clone (so as to rule from the shadows). Trouble, is they suck at it. Twilight and co are called in by a bemused Luna to find a pink Celestia, who keeps saying things like "I have pretty wings!" and generally being the Worst Clone Ever. It is fooling nopony (except perhaps, for comedic value, Prince Blueblood). Luna has to hold down the fort, dealing with an equally exasperated court as Pinkestia continues to follow her creator's "plans." Meanwhile Twilight and co have to search and rescue the real Princess, and find out what kind of idiot savant is capable of foalnapping and cloning a goddess, while simultaneously being the Worst Villain Ever. Hilarity ensues...

On an unrelated and unpony, but mind-shatteringly stupid note, among the other avderts was for one of these gimmick kid's games - you know the sort, some technicaly dohickey that they build a "game" around. Only this one was actually about cleaning up dog poop. No, I excrete you not.

I...I don't even...

Okay, I understand the need to educate people to clean up after their animals, but seriously? What. The. Hell!?!

I know far too many toy companies have long since stopped scraping the barrel in coming up with gimmicks (instead of creativity and playability) to sell toys, but this? This is excavating the ground under the barrel so far that you've gone into orbit on the otherside of the planet!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-09-24 at 07:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Also, on an unrelated note, as I watched Hero Factory and Thundercats before Doctor Who, I saw the Celestia advert, to which I found myself shouting "Why are you pink!"

It did, however, give me an amusing thought, whereby some entity kidnaps our dear sun goddess and replaces her with a clone (so as to rule from the shadows). Trouble, is they suck at it. Twilight and co are called in by a bemused Luna to find a pink Celestia, who keeps saying things like "I have pretty wings!" and generally being the Worst Clone Ever. It is fooling nopony (except perhaps, for comedic value, Prince Blueblood). Luna has to hold down the fort, dealing with an equally exasperated court as Pinkestia continues to follow her creator's "plans." Meanwhile Twilight and co have to search and rescue the real Princess, and find out what kind of idiot savant is capable of foalnapping and cloning a goddess, while simultaneously being the Worst Villain Ever. Hilarity ensues...
    This idea is SO GOOD I'm totally stealing it. You'll get a fic the moment I have spare time (months away)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-24 at 07:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    This idea is SO GOOD I'm totally stealing it. You'll get a fic the moment I have spare time (months away)
    Go for it! I sometimes have a few ideas like this, but would never get around to coming up with enough - and the energy - to actually write something. I was hoping one of you would find the idea worth pursuing!

(I mean, seriously, I have had a really silly Harry Potter parody kicking around in my head for months now, but it's likely to stay there - it took about two years for me to crank out Raman-Man (which is a (short) Naruto parody on FF, and yes, it is what you probably think it is, from the title!) Given my fanfic record is currently literally one every TEN YEARS, I think it's much safer in your hands!)

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have decided that it's TF2 time now. My steamname's on the bronylist

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Esper! Look what I found.

------

First off, I need to request for help.
    HELP
    I need some kind-hearted people to help with an issue I'm having with the piece of fiction I'm writing, Blue Moon in a Red Sky.
    Spoiler
    Show

First off, here's my initial request that I put on Ponychan:

Namely, what I need to know is plot cogency. By playing around with the description and tags, I've obfuscated the fact that BMiaRS is essentially an alternate history setting with ponies, and that ponykind has had a parallel history to mankind. (I.e. They both had industrial revolutions, the same empires, etc.) I want to make this as obvious as possible without being ham-fisted or stating it outright. So, with that in mind, could I get some help?

Replying with anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, is helpful. I really need some help with this last bit, and I can't thank you enough.
    Maybe start with something like: "Two thousand years after Alexander of Maredon stomped his hooves in despair knowing that there was nothing left to conquer, two hundred years after John Hancolt signed the Declaration of Independence, etc, etc..."

To be honest, there's a lot of societal and historical examples that show that this would be a logical first response.
    First off, there is large amounts of literature and movies and games based on dystopic sugar bowl environments, such as Fahrenheit 451. Second, our parent's always taught us the virtue of 'too good to be true'. On the historical side, quite a few 'perfect' and thriving societies had secret police or other such enforcers.

The main reason Equestria doesn't need to have secret police is because Celestia's a god. There's not much reason to oppose her when she can just smite you. Ironically, that makes part of the reason good Celestia's kingdom is so perfect is due in part to fear.
    I think it's mainly this. She gets a little too much reverence and undying love for some people to believe.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-09-24 at 08:11 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "spare time? thats not even a word!
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-09-24 at 08:15 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehehe, that's a great idea. Sounds strangely familiar though...

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Season 2, madness, extreme madness, crackpot theories, big
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I forgot about that sketch.

13. - Top - End - #1273

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Jayson Theissen Q&A

For show accurate toys you need to BUY MORE PONIES!
    Is this annoying backwards to anybody else? The way it works is the company supplies the product, and the consumers buy, not the consumers buy some other products in the hope of maybe getting the product they actually want.

Besides, I don't have that kind of money. Hasbro is not getting any Pony money from me without show-accurate toys, because I can't (and I'm sure many others are in the same boat as me) afford to buy a bunch in the hopes of getting what I actually want.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Hadn't seen that one before, so I claim innocence...

(Man, my Bluff has totally gone up! I said "innocence" when referring to myself and I totally kept a straight skull!)

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

Friendship is Witchcraft Background Music (the song titles are great)

(Man, my Bluff has totally gone up! I said "innocence" when referring to myself and I totally kept a straight skull!)
    How would we be able to... never mind, I don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Is this annoying backwards to anybody else? The way it works is the company supplies the product, and the consumers buy, not the consumers buy some other products in the hope of maybe getting the product they actually want.

Besides, I don't have that kind of money. Hasbro is not getting any Pony money from me without show-accurate toys, because I can't (and I'm sure many others are in the same boat as me) afford to buy a bunch in the hopes of getting what I actually want.
    Pretty much, yeah. If the demand for bad toys increases, they're just going to make more bad toys.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. If the demand for bad toys increases, they're just going to make more bad toys.
    Personally if they don't want to make good toys for us to buy it's their loss. This fandom's making a killing off itself.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see how that thinking is backwards, but I believe the logic that they're going off of is that lack of sales conveys the message of "We don't want pony toys at all" instead of "We don't want BAD pony toys" to the suits.

18. - Top - End - #1278

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I can see how that thinking is backwards, but I believe the logic that they're going off of is that lack of sales conveys the message of "We don't want pony toys at all" instead of "We don't want BAD pony toys" to the suits.
    If that's what they think, then they aren't paying attention to the right stuff. We're pretty blatant about our desire for more show-accurate toys, so it's not really our fault if they aren't getting the message (which sucks because we're the ones that suffer for it ).
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Season 2....sorta...kinda..spoiled anyway, involves shipping.

Spoiler
    Show
    So.....Tom x Rocky anypony?

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Okay ponythread pop quiz time. I noticed something about the end of Ep 2 and its gag:

Spoiler
    Show

Six Main Characters in SW: Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Threepio, and Artoo

Six Mane Ponies: Twlight, Rainbow, Pinkie, Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy

If the mane six were being cast in a ponified remake (for once a probably improvement) who would be who?

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Okay ponythread pop quiz time. I noticed something about the end of Ep 2 and its gag:

Spoiler
    Show

If the mane six were being cast in a ponified remake (for once a probably improvement) who would be who?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luke-Twilight Sparkle
    Han-Rainbow Dash
    Chewie-Applejack
    Leia-Rarity
    Threepio-Fluttershy
    Artoo-Pinkie Pie
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Jayson Theissen Q&A

Spoiler
    Show
    Relationship issues will show up. No divorces.
    Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Season 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    So doesn't that "No Divorces" part mean that Rarity's still going to hang out with Tom? I mean, admittedly, I was rooting for him to be the guy that deals the final blow to Discord in some upside-down display of poetic justice, but I never expected him to be a continuing character! Maybe he just needs some time to chisel out some of his character traits.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post

Season 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    So doesn't that "No Divorces" part mean that Rarity's still going to hang out with Tom? I mean, admittedly, I was rooting for him to be the guy that deals the final blow to Discord in some upside-down display of poetic justice, but I never expected him to be a continuing character! Maybe he just needs some time to chisel out some of his character traits.
    Oh sweet Celestia, not the puns again...
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Han Solo: Rainbow Dash - the ace

Luke Skywalker: Twilight Sparkle - force/magic

Rarity: Leia - not so helpless princess

Applejack: Cheewie - the brute

Fluttershy: C-3PO - team diplomat, talks with animals (kind of like languages)

Pinkie Pie: R2-D2 - completely random ability set. Some days she is rocketing around striking fear and lasers into her foes, the next she is hangs around the group for the sole purpose of having the keys to the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Kay!

...shapeshifter.
    Does that mean I get a shiny everything?!

[QUOTE=Lix Lorn;11909695
    A. There's more than one, isn't there?
    [/QUOTE]

Ah, the way you had it there, I was picturing a small town, and they were crowding around the local mailmare's house. Kind of like how you would go to the miller's house, rather than a miller's house, if that makes sense.

Alright, I'll finish reading and giving feedback in a bit. In the meantime, Ronin loaned me Rome: Total War and I need to go waste as much time as I possibly can. Haven't played that game in too long.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post

Season 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Season 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    I bet if there are troubles it'll be because Rarity starts taking their relationship for granite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    S2E2 Gag:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luke-Twilight Sparkle
    Han-Rainbow Dash
    Chewie-Applejack
    Leia-Rarity
    Threepio-Fluttershy
    Artoo-Pinkie Pie
    S2E2 Gag:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, this is what I'd peg everyone as too.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-09-24 at 09:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh sweet Celestia, not the puns again...
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this thread's hit rock bottom. Hard.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ettin in the Playground

.....Must...not....rage....must...not...

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know about the puns. I think it's a long, rocky road that we take.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    I don't know about the puns. I think it's a long, rocky road that we take.
    .....Please do not force me to unleash my OCs on you, they are trained to kill and I have barely fed them in a week.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

.....Must...not....rage....must...not...
    Spoiler
    Show