New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Aw, Keris got to the science of gravity before I did.

But yeah, he's right.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I just got told. That's what A computer nerd gets for trying to be a physicist.

Anyway, should my crab people have claws or not?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I'd say no. They need to be able to manipulate objects with a fair level of precision in order to develop, and use, technology. I can't see a claw being that dexterous.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Our Comic Lab in the Playground: An experimentation class

Well, I just got told. That's what A computer nerd gets for trying to be a physicist.

Well, a more flexible 'hand' would be crucial to their technological development, if they can't manipulate objects then it would make little sense for them to have developed tools, let alone spaceships

It's up to you though.

EDIT:

Ninja Ed Ninja'ed
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-03-20 at 11:59 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    I'd say no. They need to be able to manipulate objects with a fair level of precision in order to develop, and use, technology. I can't see a claw being that dexterous.
    An actual crab has 8-10 limbs, two of which are claws. I was thinking that my aliens would have 4 legs, 2 arms with hands, and 2 arms with claws. Claws would be better for a warrior race, but 4 hands would make technology and such a lot easier.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

So as of now the factions consist of:
    • The Ablinai
    • The Argotanians United
    • The Caz
    • The Columbian Confederation
    • Elfishness (not really a faction though)
    • The enslaved aliens
    • The Krashningrions
    • Shadowlings? (may need revising due to fantastical nature)
    • The Voltor
    • The Zodohaani

Have I got everyone?

I've also created some new concepts for the Columbian Confederation's colonies. I hope it's not too early, but these crafts are their main trait.

The Twelve Colonies of the Columbian Confederation
    While they have constructed several other space habitats, the twelve original colonies still remain the most important ones in the entire confederation, although they have been heavily refitted over the centuries with more advanced technology stolen from alien races or developed by Columbian scientists.

Each station is composed of a gargantuan torus capable of housing millions of people, rotating around a central cylindre to create artificial gravity. In addition to the human population, the ring contains a fully established ecosystem, allowing easy transplantation in case of terraforming and giving the illusion of living in a natural environment.

The colonies' voracious consumption of energy is provided by several massive nuclear fusion reactors in the centre of each station. The stations are still using nuclear pulse propulsion (in layman's term, moving the craft with nuclear explosions), although the technology has been refined to use more fusion based reactions.

While at first the habitats were intended to be only used for exploration (extraterrestrial intelligences were still unknown at the time), encounters with hostile alien species caused the Columbian Confederacy to add numerous weapons to their vehicles. Each colony is able to launch by itself barrages of nuclear and kinetic missiles, but their real military capabilities lie in their abilities to carry small battlecraft called destroyers.

Destroyers are, in essence, moving nuke boxes. They are catapulted from railguns to provide an initial speed boost and enormous laser beams from the colonies superheat a propellant for additional acceleration, with ion drives to provide secondary thrust. More than 80% of the vehicle mass is composed of thermonuclear missiles, with a tiny crew compartment firmly lodged deep into the middle of the craft. This is only a command crew, the rest of the destroyer being automated and having no life support.

EDIT: There are other spacecrafts, but I'm not going to detail them yet. Plus, if we decide to include such faster-than-light travel, the colonies will also have FTL drives.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-03-20 at 02:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Perhaps everything on the planet evolved to be big AND survive the pressure?
    They had quite a while to do it.
    Atrobiologists do have a go explanation. I'm just not sure which. I think it's something about that none of the early stages of evolution would survive such gravity, for creatures with full exoskeleton.

Now about the Voltor:

They're really, really great. It's a creative idea and it has much potential, it deserves an internet... But I don't have any so you'll have to do with a singing frog

EDIT:
    If we're not deciding about faster than light travel yet then I'll wait with the Caz technology. Lets just say they use bamboo-wood and rubber/plastic a lot, since that's what they can make themselves (they can and do produce some metal items too but it's not as easy on Gran'llanura)
    [/QUOTE]

Well sir, thank you for this lovely singing frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Perhaps. Then again, all the Ablinai is concerned with is its own survival -- and if that comes at the cost of every other life in the universe, then that's fantastic as it will eliminate war.

That, and with every brain in the hive mind focused towards scientific advances... just think how dangerous the other species would consider an enemy capable of using *all* its brainpower for scientific and technological advances.
    That is one idea I really like.

An actual crab has 8-10 limbs, two of which are claws. I was thinking that my aliens would have 4 legs, 2 arms with hands, and 2 arms with claws. Claws would be better for a warrior race, but 4 hands would make technology and such a lot easier.
    I think we should keep 2 claws and 2 hands. I think we can come up with some "claw oriented" technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    So as of now the factions consist of:
    • The Ablinai
    • The Argotanians United
    • The Caz
    • The Columbian Confederation
    • Elfishness (not really a faction though)
    • The enslaved aliens
    • The Proud Warrior Crustaceanoids
    • Shadowlings? (may need revising due to fantastical nature)
    • The Voltor
    • The Zodohaani

Have I got everyone?
    I think so : )

I've also created some new concepts for the Columbian Confederation's colonies. I hope it's not too early, but these crafts are their main trait..
    I'll read this later, gotta go eat soemthing
    It's BACK!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

You're gonna be straying pretty far from the basic crab shape then, which wasn't implied in your initial post.

The stations are still using nuclear pulse propulsion (in layman's term, moving the craft with nuclear explosions)
    "God was knocking, and he wanted in bad." -Footfall
    You'll need some severe bracing on the rings. And really good sound insulation along the supports, or no-one will be able to get a wink of sleep during course changes.
    Destroyers [...] are propelled by enormous laser beams shot from the colonies,
    You're propelling them with light pressure? I can't really see that working for a battleship.
    More than 80% of the vehicle mass is composed of thermonuclear missiles, with a tiny crew compartment firmly lodged deep into the middle of the craft.
    Any reason you have a crew at all? Also, beware of people blowing you up before you get a chance to fire your missiles.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

"God was knocking, and he wanted in bad." -Footfall
    You'll need some severe bracing on the rings. And really good sound insulation along the supports, or no-one will be able to get a wink of sleep during course changes.
    Of course.

You're propelling them with light pressure? I can't really see that working for a battleship.
    The laser is used to heat a propellant. I should have made that clear in my post.

Any reason you have a crew at all?
    To make strategic decisions. Since no-one wants to read about the life and times of military computers, Columbian AI is just not advanced enough to replace human thinking.

Also, beware of people blowing you up before you get a chance to fire your missiles.
    That would be unlikely. Except in Q-ship scenarios, even lasers won't hit instantly because of the large space between the two sides; therefore, the destroyer will have enough time to fire its nukes. They'll also have laser point defence to protect themselves.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-03-20 at 01:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

To make strategic decisions. Since no-one wants to read about the life and times of military computers, Columbian AI is just not advanced enough to replace human thinking.
    Have you considered remote control? Or are you operating at that ranges were lightspeed delays are noticeable? (Yet close enough to be propelled with a laser mounted on the mothership. )
    That would be unlikely. Except in Q-ship scenarios, even lasers won't hit instantly because of the large space between the two sides; therefore, the destroyer will have enough time to fire its nukes.
    If the laser is moving at c, how could you have any time to fire your nukes? You couldn't detect it being fired until it hits you, unless you have FTL sensors of course.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've had an idea for the name of my slave race, it would be some kind of code, because the surrounding civilizations simply regard them as primitive beings and have simply cataloged them in explorations.

I think a way to help this would be if there native languages all consisted of clucks, or something along those lines, because of this (the language not being like conventional ones) the other civilizations thought they went intelligent.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you considered remote control? Or are you operating at that ranges were lightspeed delays are noticeable? (Yet close enough to be propelled with a laser mounted on the mothership. )
    It's just for the initial speed boost. When they're out of range, they'll use another propulsion system (I think I'll remove the ion drive; too inefficient).

If the laser is moving at c, how could you have any time to fire your nukes? You couldn't detect it being fired until it hits you, unless you have FTL sensors of course.
    Who uses lasers offensively any way? You'll need tons of energy to cut through your opponents armour plating (which could very well be mirrored) and it becomes inefficient at long range (due to dispersion, I think [I don't remember the exact term]). You're better off with missile, nuclear or kinetic, who will destroy your enemies' craft in one hit if they get past their point defences, and are much more efficient at the long ranges of space combat.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-03-20 at 02:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

The Pleocygrans

Appearance: Think a centaur based off of a crab. Four segmented legs grow out of a semicircular carapace. Near the top front of the carapace, there is a human-like torso from which comes four arms and a head with two eye stalks. The entire organism (save the eye stalks, which can retract into the head, and the joints, to allow for movement) is covered in a nigh-impenetrable green-blue exoskeleton. Males are darker with thicker, studded armor on their arms. Females are lighter in color, and their arms are bladed rather than studded. They are amphibious in nature.

Politics:
    In general, they have a "Proud Warrior Race" vibe to them. "Male" and "female" only matter in terms of reproduction. Their caste system is based solely on how good a fighter you are. Their system reflects this: The head of any given state is called the "Commander," who is subject to assassination at all time. Though "assassination" works differently on this planet; In order to take power, you must challenge the commander to a one-on-one match and kill him (or her).

Planet:
    About twice the size of earth, with around one and a half times the gravity. The surface is 80% Ocean. Most of the land there is is used for growing food crops. A good portion of the population lives in floating colonies, raising food animals underwater, but the beaches and such are known to have a few settlements as well.

Technology: As far as weapons go, personal long-range weapons are for cowards. Only ships are outfitted with lasers, missiles,and such technology. They prefer to fight one-on-one with their claws, counting on their tough exoskeletons to protect them.

Anyone wanna draw for me?
    Fix'd. Anything else we need?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2010-03-23 at 09:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Fix'd. Anything else we need?
    Aren't they a little weak? Having only melee weapons, you could kill one with a musket.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Aren't they a little weak? Having only melee weapons, you could kill one with a musket.
    I'm trying to limit their power bit. They'd already be practically unstoppable at close range. You want me to give them lasers, too?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to limit their power bit. They'd already be practically unstoppable at close range. You want me to give them lasers, too?
    Doesn't matter if you're good at close range when your enemy can shoot you tens of meters away. That's modern armies don't have swordsmen anymore.

And lasers, with their high energy requirements, are horrible personal weapons. Maybe assault rifles or shotguns?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Doesn't matter if you're good at close range when your enemy can shoot you tens of meters away. That's modern armies don't have swordsmen anymore.

And lasers, with their high energy requirements, are horrible personal weapons. Maybe assault rifles or shotguns?
    What part of 'Nigh impenetrable shell' don't you understand?

They are obviously so powerful that you can't break their shells before the close-quarter combat begins
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-03-20 at 03:18 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

What part of 'Nigh impenetrable shell' don't you understand?

They are obviously so powerful that you can't break their shells before the close-quarter combat begins
    That would be very unrealistic, especially with the futuristic weaponry available.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Colossus in the Playground

What kind of an enviroment would a creature have to grow up in in order to evolve the nigh-inpenetrible shell? The way I see it such a planet would be so deadly the attackers would be dead way before they were even able to see the shelled aliens' general location.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    What kind of an enviroment would a creature have to grow up in in order to evolve the nigh-inpenetrible shell? The way I see it such a planet would be so deadly the attackers would be dead way before they were even able to see the shelled aliens' general location.
    Well, their planet do have a higher gravity if that's a factor, but Herpestidae probably has a better explanation *shruggery*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    A Wizard Did It.

That's the only possible explanation, even bio-engineering won't get you that far.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

If I remember my biology, a crab's shell is a silicate, which is what makes up most of the sand in the oceans. On the planet that I forgot to name, the sand is more of a carbonate, so much so that you can call the Kashningrion's shell a derivative of diamond.

I now wait to see my ass-pullery get shot to hell and back

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

I now wait to see my ass-pullery get shot to hell and back
    Glad to oblige.
    Shells are composed of many things, but chitin and calcium carbonate are major components. Neither of those are silicates. (Heck, one is a carbonate.) I am not a biologist.
    Additionally, there is a world of difference between diamond and a carbonate. Compare diamond with graphite and even coal. All three are composed of carbon, but they are very different. It depends on how the carbon bonds together, in graphite it forms layers of hexagons, in carbon it forms a cubic lattice, and it coal it forms a huge mess with numerous other elements attached wherever. Diamond is strong because of the lattice shape it forms, not because it contains carbon. And as a carbonate is already stuck with 3 oxygen atoms (it's CO32-), it can't form the lattice. I am not a chemist.
    Also note that while diamond is hard, it is not particularly tough, so can be shattered. Not so useful for armour.

24. - Top - End - #384

@licoot

I like the idea of their language

@Mad Mask

You, accidentally, made me think about gravity generation. We need to decide later if we are going to end up with gravity generators or if we are going to use what we currently know scientifically about artificial gravity.

But that is for later guys, lets not focus too much on the technology yet since MUCH can change. We don't even know what factions are making this first cut. No harm in discuss it but lets not get too far or it will end up just a huge ball of mixed ideas.

Attention:

I'll give 3 more days for the factions and I'm going to call a vote. Everyone will be able to give 6 votes and you won't be able to vote on a faction you made up. The votes will last one week and after that the 6 factions with more votes will move to the next step of this universe building.
    It's BACK!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

And with that, I return to the "Wizard did it" explanation.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was going to make a race for this space thing, but it sounds like I have a LOT to catch up on.

Currently my idea is for a race who lost their planet, so they roam the galaxy. They're expert engineers, but they don't have the facilities needed to build stuff, so they salvage parts from other races, and then sell it. Essentially, an entire race of greasy used car salesmen.
    "This Cruiser was last owned by a little old lady, she only used it once a week to strafe the shops"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I was going to make a race for this space thing, but it sounds like I have a LOT to catch up on.
    Go ahead and make it regardless. Nothing is set in stone about the universe yet, so you don't need to worry about conflicting with pre-existing material.
    And even if your race is very similar to an existing one, it's won't matter as it's very unlikely that both will make it though the voting process.

But straight off the bat, how do you lose a planet. They're kinda big, you know, it's not like they can slip down the back of the sofa.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Go ahead and make it regardless. Nothing is set in stone about the universe yet, so you don't need to worry about conflicting with pre-existing material.
    And even if your race is very similar to an existing one, it's won't matter as it's very unlikely that both will make it though the voting process.

But straight off the bat, how do you lose a planet. They're kinda big, you know, it's not like they can slip down the back of the sofa.
    By "Lose" I mean "Rendered their planet uninhabitable", they still know where it is, it's just a blasted toxic hellscape that can support no life and is roamed by the Nanobots they built in order to fight a minor plague. The Disease mad them throw up, feel ill, and die in maybe 5% of cases. The cure (Nanobots) had trouble telling the difference between the bacteria, any other bacteria, or really any other organic matter.

Then somebody decided to try Nuking the areas infested by the Nanobots. That didn't help either.

Edit: I might reshape them from Used Car Salesmen to more Mercenary scientists. They're Brilliant, but with the loss of their homeworld they are shattered, and they are often very distrustful of their own technology. Their old specialty was Nanotech, but those that survived have a hatred for it. They seek to purge all of their own Nanotechnology that's still around in the galaxy. However, for the last couple hundred years they had been boosting themselves with Nanotech, so those that are left who purged themselves, are very weak.

Of course, there are still "Tech Heads", those that use the old Nanobots, often they've boosted themselves past safe levels, making them very dangerous and in some cases half mad.

Edit 2: Ooh, a storyline could be centered around some people getting onto the planet and collecting some of the Nanobots, threatening to release them as a "Nanobomb"
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-03-20 at 08:53 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    By "Lose" I mean "Rendered their planet uninhabitable", they still know where it is, it's just a blasted toxic hellscape that can support no life and is roamed by the Nanobots they built in order to fight a minor plague. The Disease mad them throw up, feel ill, and die in maybe 5% of cases. The cure (Nanobots) had trouble telling the difference between the bacteria, any other bacteria, or really any other organic matter.

Then somebody decided to try Nuking the areas infested by the Nanobots. That didn't help either.

Edit: I might reshape them from Used Car Salesmen to more Mercenary scientists. They're Brilliant, but with the loss of their homeworld they are shattered, and they are often very distrustful of their own technology. Their old specialty was Nanotech, but those that survived have a hatred for it. They seek to purge all of their own Nanotechnology that's still around in the galaxy. However, for the last couple hundred years they had been boosting themselves with Nanotech, so those that are left who purged themselves, are very weak.

Of course, there are still "Tech Heads", those that use the old Nanobots, often they've boosted themselves past safe levels, making them very dangerous and in some cases half mad.

Edit 2: Ooh, a storyline could be centered around some people getting onto the planet and collecting some of the Nanobots, threatening to release them as a "Nanobomb"

I'm the only one that think this is oddly familiar?
    It's BACK!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MethosHazara View Post
    Hey, my guys destroyed their world because their Nanobots were too stupid. The Quarians lost their homeworld because their big robots were too smart.
    [/Center]