New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Two Dwarven Galleys vs. One Beguiler

I could use some tactical advice for a beguiler who's got two galleys of angry dwarves bearing down on him.

He's on a galleon anchored in a natural harbor, and the galleys are pulling hard across the water; they'll be at the galleon in moments, well before his ship can get away. The beguiler has no magic items, no alchemical weapons, nothing but first- and second-level spells.

He needs help. What spells should he use, and how?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Two Dwarven Galleys vs. One Beguiler

Minor Image of something plausible (like a monster summon from summon monster or nature's ally VI or higher; go for something Huge and Aquatic or Amphibious that can totally mess up a ship) that might cause the galleys to veer off. Fog Cloud or Obscuring Mist on the area to allow his galleon to get away. If things get close range, sleep/glitterdust/etc. the people shouting out the orders and turning directions of the enemy galleons. If he is anchored? Expeditious Retreat to jump/swim to shore, depending on how close to shore he is, or if there is a rock outcrop, spider climb to climb up it to get away via land.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-11-04 at 01:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the goal here? Mere survival? Escape? Do you actually need to counterattack? How open are they to negotiating? Surrender isn't a great option, but if you can escape again somewhere down the road it might give you a shot at making a break for it when circumstances are more favorable.

Also, what resources do the dwarves have available to them? If you need to fight, then your only option is guerilla-tactics. Get below deck on your ship (or even on their ship, if possible) and use your spells to hide from, confuse, and seperate the dwarves. Wait for good opportunities to eliminate them one by one until you reduce their numbers sufficiently. If you are willing to gamble, try and get to their captain; if you can take him hostage you might be able to Diplomance your way out.

Assuming they are mostly low level NPC's, a 4th or 5th level character can handly a fair number so long as you don't let them surround and overwhelm you.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2012-11-04 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you can get within range to do it, I would suggest casting an enchantment on the helmsman of one of the dwarf ships and have them ram the galleys together. Even if it doesn't sink their ships, it will definitely veer them off course enough for your galleon to leave land. From there you should have the tactical advantage.

5. - Top - End - #5

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by roguemetal View Post
    If you can get within range to do it, I would suggest casting an enchantment on the helmsman of one of the dwarf ships and have them ram the galleys together. Even if it doesn't sink their ships, it will definitely veer them off course enough for your galleon to leave land. From there you should have the tactical advantage.
    I dont think he has a strong enough enchantment spell to do that...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Charm person: "Hey, buddy, would you be so good as to make a hard to port/starbord turn of about 80-90 degrees and then go straight?! It would literally save my life and mean the world to me for you to just make that turn right now!"

Or if suggestion is online on your spell list yet

"I suggest you make a hard to port/starbord right this very instant to avoid loosing the bottom of your ship on the reefee I just set up wtih this scroll of (Insert appropriate spell here.)"

Add a bluff check and hold up the back of a blank scroll to sell it.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

Of course Suggestion is on the Beguiler's spell list.

The thing is, it is NOT on his spell list as a 2nd level spell! The OP already said he has access to 2nd level Beguiler spells... do you not know their spell list?? It's fairly small...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

What are his skills? He might be able to successfully bluff the dwarves into thinking he has the ship rigged to blow or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Deepbluediver
    What is the goal here? Mere survival? Escape? Do you actually need to counterattack? How open are they to negotiating?
    The dwarves are rowdy and riled right now, and not too amenable to talking. The beguiler is stuck, physically and professionally: the galleon is anchored well away from shore, so he can't easily get away--and he's trying to salvage an almost-blown mission, so he has a strong incentive to stand his ground.

Originally Posted by Flickerdart
    What are his skills? He might be able to successfully bluff the dwarves into thinking he has the ship rigged to blow or something.
    This could be just the inspiration he needs. He has a bluff mod of +15, and as it happens, he has some recent field experience with alchemical explosives of dwarven make.