New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0001-#0100]) [Finals]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and finishing up The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #1 - #100 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on August 11th, 4pm EDT. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this Best of the Hundred final will go on to the Best of the Thousand tournament if and when we reach Comic Number 1000.

In the second semi-final, 80 - Replacement Cleric and 90 - Consequences of a Failed Skill Check were the co-winners.

Since there were two winners in the last semi-final, they took one of the Wild Card slots with them. The other Wild Card entrant is 24 - Do You Hear What I Hear? which received the most votes of all of the non winners.

And with the Final Four set, who shall claim to be the winner of.....

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (1-100)
    ...................(Finals)

Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0001-#0100]) [Finals]

50, definitely.

3. - Top - End - #3

Number 80 introduced probably one of the best characters in the entire comic. There's my vote.

4. - Top - End - #4

50: The Semi-Secret Origin of Elan & Nale - It added some story stuff that still is fairly relevant. The others were funny, sure, but eh, not funny enough to beat a strip with some actual decent story development.
    Last edited by Sylian; 2013-08-06 at 04:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Three multiples of 10, eh? Interesting.

For me, the weakest one here (and also the only one I haven't voted for so far) is #80. The little thundercloud is cute and funny, and I love Roy's expression after the Banjo reveal, but the rest of the strip doesn't measure up for me. #24 is right there with it, as I think the goblins' reactions are hilarious as well as the team's reactions to their reactions, but it's not as laugh-out-loud funny as #90 or as plot-relevant as #50.

The other two are close to me, but while #50 is closer to the strip as it's become now, it's missing a true punchline, so #90: Consequences of a Failed Skill Check edges it for me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, the first batch of winners was weaker, but my 2 favorites from that won. The second batch was stronger, but my favorite from that didn't win (#90 is cool, but I really don't like Banjo's first appearance).

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

#90: Consequences of a Failed Skill Check. Not just one of the funniest strips in DCF, one of the funniest OOTS strips ever.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Banjo the Clown all the way!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

24topkek topkek
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

24. I have yet to vote for a winner, hopefully that could change.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    50: Replacement Cleric - It added some story stuff that still is fairly relevant. The others were funny, sure, but eh, not funny enough to beat a strip with some actual decent story development.
    You mean 50: The Semi-secret Origin... yeah?

Anyway, make mine 50, mostly for gratuitous baby-on-baby violence and Durkon & Hilgya playing Go Fish.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-08-06 at 04:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    You mean 50: The Semi-secret Origin... yeah?
    Good catch! Fixed now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

yeah, I'm sticking with 80, the funniest of the bunch, even though they are all classics.
    I have to say though I'm a little bit surprised on how popular 24 is...

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by white lancer View Post
    snip...
    The other two are close to me, but while #50 is closer to the strip as it's become now, it's missing a true punchline, so #90: Consequences of a Failed Skill Check edges it for me.
    Funny you should say that, I think 50 has a brilliant punchline, funny and true to the characters.
    Last edited by nogall; 2013-08-06 at 04:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Because this comic has it's best moments when it's being laugh-out-loud funny.
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in for 80 - Replacement Cleric.

Is there a reason that all strips other than 50 are posted a second time in the first post? (Because I don't see one)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I'm in for 80 - Replacement Cleric.

Is there a reason that all strips other than 50 are posted a second time in the first post? (Because I don't see one)
    It was already known that 50 entered the Finals, so I didn't repeat the info. I usually try to announce who won the previous contest, and part of that was saying who 'won' the Wild Card slots. So in this case, I mentioned who the semi final winers were for the last round and mentioned who ended up getting the WC spot.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I GOT A 90!

DID YOU HEAR ME??? I SAID-

"When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hmm. None of the ones I voted for, if I remember correctly. I gotta go with 90, though. Especially considering it became a recurring joke later.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

19. - Top - End - #19

The story, the story ... 50 for me!
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    50: The Semi-Secret Origin of Elan & Nale - It added some story stuff that still is fairly relevant. The others were funny, sure, but eh, not funny enough to beat a strip with some actual decent story development.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Public service announcement: something which does not have a climax is anti-climactic. Someone who hates the weather, on the other hand, might be anti-climatic.

So now you know.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"plot relevance" gets no points with me. In 100 strips they will all have plot relevance, so all that matters to me is the funnies (or the feels).
    And banjo is comedy gold!

Also, can I get +1 for Banjo if a majority of the people around the table says they believe in him? :)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

50, by a mile.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

i'm with 50 too
    Stop suppressing our rupture, you electroresistive niche

That's coming out of your holiday bonus.

24. - Top - End - #24

NinjaGuy

I got a 90!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll go with my vote in the 2nd semi-final:

I GOT A 90!

26. - Top - End - #26

So 4th place: 80. Just not that into Banjo.

The rest are all strong. 50 is nice for its ploty-ness, 90 has one of the best single line running gags, but I'm going with 24; I just love the register of the goblin's speech here so much.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

50 for me.

28. - Top - End - #28

Of these, I like 24 best.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

50 because axe foreshadowing.
    In which threads did people consider my responses to be readworthy? Why, a good question, here's an answer.
    How would Redcloak kill Tsukiko
    The sad fate of YukYuk

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

80 because Banjo!