New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Diplomacy PBPM - Concert of Europe

Welcome to ... The Concert of Europe

The year is 1901. It has been 87 years since the great monarchs of Europe defeated Napoleon, convened the Congress of Vienna, and vowed to maintain peace on the continent.

Europe has changed a lot in 87 years. The powerful force of nationalism has birthed two powerful new states, Italy and Germany. The French, now under the rule of a President in their Third Republic, are once again a force to be reckoned with. Great Britain has just come off a massive industrial revolution and is feeling pretty good. The Austrian Empire has suffered much at the hands of the Ottoman Turks lately, but is still a mighty force on the continent. And that darn Czar is still going remarkably strong. In the East, the growing powers of India, China, and Japan challenge Western imperialism.

Country assignments:

Tim_the_Enchanter - India
    Raveler1 - The Ottoman Empire
    viggo - Russia
    Gygaxphobia - Austria
    thewamp - Germany
    Grey Bishop - Japan
    J_Muller - China
    melchizedek - England
    KuH - France
    Yggdrasil - Italy

First off, everyone needs to post here to confirm his or her continued presence. Use this post to specify the method of communication you would prefer: email or PM. Also use this post to introduce yourself and the character in which you will be conducting negotiations. That character can be yourself, that's fine, but it's helpful for people to know how to address you.

Examples: In the other Youngstown game, Electric_Monkey introduced himself as "Shogun Mon-Ke," a clear play on his name. On the other hand, I play in my standard game as "Tsar Mikhail," Michael being my first name. I also know someone (Makleveh) who just signs letters "Bri."

Spring Turn

Friday: Spring Map released, Spring negotiations begin.
    Tuesday: Spring Orders due, adjudication, sending out of the map and requesting any necessary retreats.
    Thursday: Retreats due.

Fall Turn

Friday: Fall Map Released, Fall negotiations begin.
    Tuesday: Fall Orders due, adjudication, sending out of the map and requesting any necessary retreats.
    Thursday: Retreats due.
    Friday: Winter builds due.

The Spring 1901 turn processes February 27th; negotiations are allowed and expected starting as soon as I post this.

Everyone has until 10:00 pm (EST/GMT-5) of the day in question to submit orders. I will resolve within two hours barring any technical issues.

This schedule looks a little funny, but I tried to make it different from the schedules for the two other games that I know people are playing in. If anyone has any serious objections to the schedule, post saying so and it can be changed.

Good luck.

Oh, and for now I would like to be copied on all negotiations. If my PM box ends up filling up more quickly than I can empty it, I may switch to just asking for a brief summary of your negotiations over the season along with your orders.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2007-02-20 at 02:07 PM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Diplomacy PBPM - Concert of Europe

Wireless Message:
    cough - ahem - is this on? Oh, it is. Good.

Greetings to all from Istanbul/Constaninople. I am the Sultan Luke, recently elected *cough by divine right cough* leader of the once great Ottoman Empire. Under my leadership, there will be peace for all my nation - whether Jew, Christian, Turk, Muslim, or Armenian. We are a diverse people, with a long and glorious past - of peaceful rulership, fiscal responsibility, and occasional border expansion.

Don't be fooled by the slightly antiquated weaponry, however. Our troops are a match for any in Europe, Asia, or Africa. Should a foreign power act contrary to our peaceful intentions, we shall unleash our armies against them with the swiftness of the whirling dervish.

Too much, you think? No, I'm sure they'll understand our intentions. A peaceful coalition of peoples should be quite the carrot to the powers of Europe and Asia. Oh, right, the microphone. I really must look into getting a swi-

MESSAGE ENDS

EDIT OOC: Moody, do you want us to PM you everything the way Grey Bishop did in AGW? I rather like including the GM in on the discussions that take place.
    Last edited by Raveler1; 2007-02-20 at 11:51 AM.
    GM of Ancient Battles: A homebrew warfare game based on Testament

Kudur - The Bronze Age: A campaign setting using "D20 Fantasy" rules.

3. - Top - End - #3

Good day to all, I have just finished my banquet of inaugaration and am pleased to make your acquaintances. *yawn*
    I am Prinz Stefan of the Royal blood of the House of Hasburg. Our line in ancient and unrivalled, and we will continue as we have done for countless ages. *stretch*

In the grand tradition of the Emperors of Holy Rome, I rule absolutely, bringing benevolence and magnamity to my subjects *cough* and my allies; terrifying and bloodthirsty conquest to my enemies.

But enough of that, who's for polo?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

TELEGRAPH TO ALL MAJOR POWERS

After much deliberation, the Empire of Japan has decided the various military and economic 'advice' we have received from the western world is of benefit to our most honorable nation. As the new Prime Minister replacing esteemed Yamagato, I have been honored by the Emperor Meiji to head both civil and military affairs after the most recent elections. All communication with the Empire of Japan will be directed to my office as I speak with the voice and authority of the Emperor Meiji, in his most enlightened rule.

Prime Minister Gurei Bishoppu

MESSAGE ENDS

OOC:
    PM is preferred as I check here several times a day.
    AIM - greybishop7 to talk directly with me.
    Last edited by Grey Bishop; 2007-02-20 at 01:40 PM.
    GM for Chaos of War: A Diplomacy (Youngstown) play-by-post game
    GM for A Great War: Another Diplomacy play-by-post game; clearly, I like Diplomacy.
    Avatar created by Electric_Monkey

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Greetings fellow world leaders. This is Prime Minister Melchizedek of Great Britain. I will shortly be sending delegation to many of you expressing my hopes and dreams for the future. I hope war does not become necessary, but if it does, know that the British fleet will not hesitate to act.
    My Characters:
    Henning Baer: Forest of Friedland

6. - Top - End - #6

India

Salutations to all the world leaders. I, Sultan Xilehxt, wishes you all well. We, the people of India wishes to express common interests of all the nations to expand their territories peacefully and without conflict as to maximize our profits. Of course, conflict will be inevitable, but the humble Indian people wish to keep good relations with all unless provoked. May Ishvara watch over us and our allies and karma overtake our offenders.

(PM would work best. Also, I've been trying to get a name change for quite a while to Xilehxt, but it seems the Mods are not responding at all. So Sultan Xilehxt works fine.)

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, Raveler1, for now I would like to be copied on negotiations. I might change my mind later if I find my PM box filling up every other day, but for now I would appreciate that. No biggie if you forget, though, or if you've already sent things out.

Edit: I just read a negotiation I was copied on that made reference to an alliance in the other Youngstown game. Fortunately, it was one I knew about. For both of our sakes, just go ahead and don't copy me on any negotiations that make direct mention to the other game, if you really feel the need to directly mention it.

Also, I would encourage everyone not to judge your fellow players by your interactions with them in other games, to the extent that this is humanly possible.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2007-02-20 at 02:17 PM.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

8. - Top - End - #8

BlueKnightGuy

If anyone is interested, this is a good website with lots of articles on Diplomacy: Diplomacy Archive. Don't take any of the things anyone writes there as canonical; every Diplomacy game is different, as it is largely determined by the personalities of the players. It is good to get you thinking about some things, though. Also, I don't think you'll find anything that specifically addresses the Youngstown variant. There are also some articles that are pretty funny - I recommend the "Coast of Moscow" article in the Humour section.

-Albert Einstein

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueKnightGuy

I apologize for the continual posts, but I feel as though if I just go back and edit things, people will probably miss it.

When you send in orders to me, please use the following format for the subject of the PM:

CoE: Season Year, Country's Orders

So England submitting his orders next Tuesday would write: "CoE: Spring 1901, England's orders."

Also, it is customary to write press headlines/short stories from your country following each turn and whenever else you feel it is appropriate to do so. Nobody will hold it against you if you don't, but I encourage you to do so; I've found it to be quite enjoyable, and I think it improves the sense of community. And after you've suffered a brutal stab, you might still enjoy playing off of your old ally in the presses.

-Albert Einstein

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    Also, it is customary to write press headlines/short stories from your country following each turn and whenever else you feel it is appropriate to do so. Nobody will hold it against you if you don't, but I encourage you to do so; I've found it to be quite enjoyable, and I think it improves the sense of community. And after you've suffered a brutal stab, you might still enjoy playing off of your old ally in the presses.
    And hearing about God talking to the Germans is hilarious. Gonna miss having you write press releases in this game. But hey, I'm the Germans now...

------------------------------------------

Kaiser Wamp of the Germans greets all foreign powers in the hope that we can preserve this peace and that war will never again be necessary. However, he cautions that should war come upon us, the German Armies are not to be trifled with.

Good Day. We will be staying in touch.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair
    Turkey - Fly Like a Butterfly
    French Austrians - Realpolitik

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Dowager
    Has been deposed,
    And a new, righteous
    Emperor reigns in Peking.

Emperor Muller wishes
    For peace with all
    Other peoples.

This new century
    Will surely be one
    Of peace and prosperity.

-"Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle, but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting."
    --Sun Tzu

((EDIT: Technically this isn't who I'll be conducting negotiations as (CNR on my part, sorry), since it gets tiring to continue to type like I did above. Address communication to Jhong Mingyu, Chief Councilor, Grand Council.))
    Last edited by J_Muller; 2007-02-26 at 11:19 PM.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thewamp View Post
    And hearing about God talking to the Germans is hilarious. Gonna miss having you write press releases in this game. But hey, I'm the Germans now...
    Who knows? You may hear from some independent press ...

-Albert Einstein

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

President Ku Triumphant in French Polls

Coming from nowhere, President Ku has triumphed in the polls for the French presidency. 'Well, it was a choice between a Royal and old Nick. The voters didn't like either one. Though of course, as you can tell from my name I was hoping to be chosen as leader of an Oriental power. But who knows. Vive la France!'

Ambassadors Sent Out

France has sent out ambassadors to all of the worldwide powers, though some communications problems are reported. 'Mais, le francais est la langue de la diplomatie. Tout le monde le sait. Pourquoi tous les etrangers nous repondent en anglais? Mais, c'est bete, non?'

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

TO THE GREAT POWERS, FROM THE TSAR, ALEKSANDR POTENTAVSKY:

WE WILL BURY YOU. STAND IN OUR WAY AND FACE IMMINENT DESTRUCTION.

To all Great Powers, from the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Viktor Davidovich:

Our Tsar is a mere child. Please direct all offers of negotiation to my office. We desire peaceful existence with our neighbors and isolation from the European nightmare. We will, however, oppose any who try to repeat the French mistake.

(P.S. vincethewiseguy is my AIM)
    Last edited by viggo; 2007-02-20 at 09:01 PM.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

OOC:

This is Grey Bishop. Running two games and playing in this one is causing my PM limit to be reached quickly. As not to risk pertinent orders from my players in the two games I run, I have created this log in to use for games I play in. Please send all future negotiations for Japan to this log in. Given this could be an elaborate attempt to intercept communications meant for Japan, I have made Moody aware and he will confirm. Thanks.

Grey Bishop

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
    OOC:

This is Grey Bishop. Running two games and playing in this one is causing my PM limit to be reached quickly. As not to risk pertinent orders from my players in the two games I run, I have created this log in to use for games I play in. Please send all future negotiations for Japan to this log in. Given this could be an elaborate attempt to intercept communications meant for Japan, I have made Moody aware and he will confirm. Thanks.

Grey Bishop
    Yes, yes, this is Grey Bishop, unless somebody went so far as to hack into his AIM screen name too, in which case ... bravo!

-Albert Einstein

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

muahahahahahaaaaa my master plan is working perfectly

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post
    muahahahahahaaaaa my master plan is working perfectly
    Don't worry, guys, he's kidding.

-Albert Einstein

19. - Top - End - #19

Don't worry, guys, he's kidding.
    {{Well if he wasn't, he wouldn't exactly have told us would he...

Or maybe that's what he wants us to think, so he did tell us so...

AAAH! }}
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah definitely kidding. the risk/reward ratio is way too high on that one.

21. - Top - End - #21

Hey Moody, think you'll be able to do spontaneous "international" press releases entirely for humor's sake?

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thewamp View Post
    Hey Moody, think you'll be able to do spontaneous "international" press releases entirely for humor's sake?
    Yes, I think I will be able to come up with some tantalizing stories come the end of Spring. I should think you've had enough of my press from CoW by now, though. We might even forget to fight with our armies, we're fighting so much with our presses. =)

-Albert Einstein

23. - Top - End - #23

Yes, I think I will be able to come up with some tantalizing stories come the end of Spring. I should think you've had enough of my press from CoW by now, though. We might even forget to fight with our armies, we're fighting so much with our presses. =)
    So much fun though! Yeah, I think I'll give the press a break for a bit now...

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

In the name of his majesty Vitorio Emmanuelle III the Italian Government accepts private message commuications from all powers. We hope the new age will be one of universal peaceand prosperity.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

Independent Press Strikes!

The Haarlem Globe Trotter

Ectoplasmic River Discovered in St. Petersburg!

Dennis "The Menace" Poleman, our Russian roving reporter, stumbled upon a disturbing river of ectoplasmic sludge in the sewers of St. Petersburg earlier today. Luckily, he was able to recover a sample of it and bring it back to our laboratories for testing. It seems as though the sludge is the physical manifestation of negative feelings. Whether this sludge is of Russian origin or is being illicitly exported to the Russian sewers by another country is unclear, however there have been rumors that the Russian Tsar is really the reincarnation of a centuries-dead Carpathian. The major support for this theory is the following cryptic message sent by the Tsar recently: "muahahahahahaaaaa my master plan is working perfectly." This one is a close second: "WE WILL BURY YOU. STAND IN OUR WAY AND FACE IMMINENT DESTRUCTION."

All World Powers Promise Peace

Obviously, someone's lying. Personally, we expect to be conquered any day now. And what's with this defining peace only in terms of ten world powers thing all about anyway? Since when do independent countries not matter? In related news, the Worldwide Taurine Fecal Matter Index has risen 300% in the past three days.

-Albert Einstein

26. - Top - End - #26

No need to be so negative...world peace is a wonderful thing!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Peace In Our Time

British Ministry of State official Neville Chamberlain proclaims that no war will break out any time soon anywhere on the planet. Watch out for this one, folks, he's surely got a brilliant career in politics.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

In fact, Great Britain is officially declaring a national disbelief in war. We're under the impression that if you don't believe it exists, it will go away.
    My Characters:
    Henning Baer: Forest of Friedland

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

The Thai Thaimes

We here in Thailand are very excited to embrace the new philosophy developed by the English. Henceforth we cease to believe in Great Britain; we expect it to go away any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
    In fact, Great Britain is officially declaring a national disbelief in war. We're under the impression that if you don't believe it exists, it will go away.

-Albert Einstein

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great Britian Disappears - Russia Soon to Follow

Following news of the apparent miraculousness of the disbelief action (OOC: god I miss that), the Tsar of Russia decided to pretend he and his empire no longer existed. There is now a giant Russia-shaped hole in the universe.