New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Bypassing Critical Immunities

What ways are there to bypass Critical immunities, such as those gained from plants, undead, or constructs? The spell that makes Constructs lose their immunities isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking more for class features that would be possible with a small dip, weapon crystals/enhancements, or magic items. Since I'm a crit focused melee character, it would be nice to be able to apply these crits to these common creatures: mainly constructs and Undead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Bypassing Critical Immunities

The Greater Demolition/Truedeath crystals are obviously a good choice, though as I recall you'll need at least a +3 weapon to attach them (and if you're dual-wielding, that can get pricey). Another option is to get some weapon enhancements that apply extra effects on critical hits like Flaming Burst, Prismatic Burst, etc, where even if something is immune to crits, it gets to enjoy the extra effect.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Deathstrike Bracers, Magic Item Compendium: 3 times/day negate Type-based critical and sneak attack immunities from Constructs, Undead, Oozes, Plants, and Elementals. Lasts 1 round/use. Pretty affordable, although if your DM is *really* fond of those monster types you'll want something more constant.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, my DM is pretty consistent with undead and constructs, so the crystals seem like they may be my best option from what I can find as well. I'm doing a fairly straightforward 2H Power attack character, so it won't be too expensive to get the crystals necessary for my weapon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Golemstrike, gravestrike, and vinestrike spells help you any? (I believe they're all in SpC.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Golemstrike, gravestrike, and vinestrike spells help you any? (I believe they're all in SpC.)
    I'll look into them, with the permanent custom item rules vinestrike will definitely be nice. Also, depending on the level of the spells, the other spells could be cheaper on custom items than the crystals. So thanks for finding them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sadly not useful for your crit build character, but immunities in general: Dread Witch (Heroes of Horror) breaks fear immunity; ever seen a golem running in fear? There you go :-)

Nevermind, misread the word critical.
    Move along. :-)
    Last edited by Pandiano; 2012-11-19 at 06:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pandiano View Post
    Sadly not useful for your crit build character, but immunities in general: Dread Witch (Heroes of Horror) breaks fear immunity; ever seen a golem running in fear? There you go :-)
    This is off-topic, but since many (most?) sources of fear are from SR: Yes Necromancy spells with [fear] and [mind-affecting] descriptors, you probably wouldn't be able to do anything with it anyway: Dread Witch does not (as far as I know) bypass construct immunity to mind-affecting effects, the immunity a mindless creature has to mind-affecting effects, the immunity golems have to SR: Yes spells, or the separate immunity to necromancy effects, so there's still at least three layers of immunity to plow through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The penetrating strike acf from dungeonscape exchanges rogue trap sense for the sneak attack against undead, constructs, etc. You get to roll half your dice.
    Long time reader and lurker turned poster

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    The penetrating strike acf from dungeonscape exchanges rogue trap sense for the sneak attack against undead, constructs, etc. You get to roll half your dice.
    This is cool and whatnot, but I'm only looking for things that affect critical hits: things like Greater Demolition/Truedeath crystals or the Ghost Striking weapon enhancement. I think that's everything that I can actually use though.