New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A174 As far as SLAs are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.
    That said, I think that SLAs gained from class abilities use class level as effective caster level but I can't find this specific rule in PF. It is the most logical however.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Q175

The Chirurgeon Archetype for Alchemist says:

From the SRD
    Infused Curative

At 2nd level, a chirurgeon’s extracts of cure spells automatically act as infusions, and can be used by non-alchemists. When a chirurgeon prepares his extracts, he may choose to render any or all of his infused curatives inert and prepare other extracts to replace them (unlike infusions, which continue to occupy the alchemist’s daily extract slots until consumed or used).
    So, can I make all of my extracts curative extracts and then make them inert to make new extracts which will be used throughout the day? And if I did that, could I also use those many curative extracts throughout the day? Or does making the curative extract active count to my daily allotment of extracts and causes me to remove one of my non-curative extracts to replace it like a cleric's spontaneous curing thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #483
    Barbarian in the Playground

A175?:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Extracts
    An alchemist can create only a certain number of extracts of each level per day. [...] An extract, once created, remains potent for 1 day before becoming inert, so an alchemist must re-prepare his extracts every day. Mixing an extract takes 1 minute of work—most alchemists prepare many extracts at the start of the day or just before going on an adventure, but it’s not uncommon for an alchemist to keep some (or even all) of his daily extract slots open so that he can prepare extracts in the field as needed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Infusions
    When the alchemist creates an extract, he can infuse it with an extra bit of his own magical power. The extract created now persists even after the alchemist sets it down. As long as the extract exists, it continues to occupy one of the alchemist’s daily extract slots. An infused extract can be imbibed by a non-alchemist to gain its effects.
    All I've been able to find on the subject is this. I would lean towards not being able to regain extract slots, but I'm not sure.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A175 You can't reactivate a curative once it's been rendered inert, there is no provision in the rules for that. This rule allows you to create curatives at the start of day but later replace them for other extracts as needed by making them inert instead of using them (and thus not using up any of your essence). In a way it's kind of like a reverse spontaneous casting, yes.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A175 You can't reactivate a curative once it's been rendered inert, there is no provision in the rules for that. This rule allows you to create curatives at the start of day but later replace them for other extracts as needed by making them inert instead of using them (and thus not using up any of your essence). In a way it's kind of like a reverse spontaneous casting, yes.
    The wording was very strange so thank you for clarifying it for me. The way my friend and I read it, it made us think you get double the extracts (half being curative ones); but that sounded kinda munchikiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The whole thing is very poorly worded, yes. I spent an afternoon trying to figure out what the hell the meaning and intent were when I first got UM. While there may be other interpretations, me and several other GMs came to the consensus that this is the most logical one and likely RAI.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Goodday,

I'm having a little discussion with someone in my party. He wants to play a Rogue Archer, and says that ALL his attacks in 30ft are counted as sneak attack, even when the target hasn't lost his dexterity.

I say it's bull**** and the target must be denied his dexterity bonus and you must stand within 30ft to get sneak attack.
    Cause to me it says that there are too ways to get it. Trhough denying his dex or flanking, and an archer can't flank.

Can someone tell me who's wrong or right?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

A 176 (please number your questions)

In order to be a valid target for sneak attack, the target must either be flanked or somehow denied Dex to AC. Catching the target flat-footed is probably the most common way to deny Dex, but isn't the only way.

In addition to those requirements, a ranged attack can come from no further than 30 feet away.

My hunch is that your friend is being intentionally obtuse when reading the last sentence of this paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    The rogue's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
    However, that last sentence doesn't negate any of the conditions applied earlier in the paragraph; it simply adds an additional one to ranged attacks.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2011-12-28 at 10:31 AM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 177

Can a creature forego its immunity to an effect and be affected by it anyway?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Q178. Can the Evil Eye Hex be applied to a creature multiple times if each is penalizing different things; i.e., if I Evil Eye'd saves and then AC?

Q179. Would Accursed Hex allow the Healing Hexes to apply to a creature more than once per day?
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-12-28 at 10:33 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A177 No, unless specifically stated in the rules block, immunity cannot be turned off willingly.

A178 Yes, it says so right next to the ability description in the SRD.

A179 If the creature succeeds on a saving throw against it, then yes.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Q180: Magic Item Creation says, that you can not create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completition items without meeting all the prerequisites. However, potions are "single use, use-activated" items. Could you instead make for example a single use, use-activated gemstone that casts a cure light wounds spell on any person who crushes it in his hand?
    Creation cost would be the same as for a potion of cure light wounds, with the only difference that you would use Craft Wondrous Item instead of Brew Potion. And you would not need to know the spell.

Doesn't that make the Brew Potion feat redundant? Every single potion could instead be made as a Wondrous Item. You could even make a salve of cure light wounds. Slap it on someone else, who could even be unconscious, and he gains the benefit of the spell.

Is that the case or did I miss something important.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #493

A 181

There is nothing in RAW that would prevent you from using Craft Wondrous Item as you described. Brew Potion has a small advantage for reduced creation time (2 hours if the potion is 250 gp or less) so you have more of your day left after the item is crafted. It's worth noting that there is some crossover between the two feats. Craft Wondrous Item is the requisite feat for some elixirs (ostensibly because the items in question require higher than 3rd level spells).

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

A 181 additional

I don't see why you couldn't do that, but potions have the upside of being useable by any character without identification, while, by RAW, anyone attempting to use the wondrous item would have to know (or at least have a good idea of) its function first (not a problem if you're crafting it yourself, obviously).

15. - Top - End - #495

Q 182

Is it stated anywhere that the DC 15 use of Knowledge (history) cannot be used to determine the approximate date of a specific future event?

16. - Top - End - #496

A 183

Yes. The dictionary. History is the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

@183: I think Knowledge (local) seems to be the more appropriate skill to interprete the current situation and developments in a given region. But I would allow a +2 circumstance bonus to such Knowledge (local) checks if you have 5 or 10 ranks in Knowledge (history).
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

18. - Top - End - #498

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    A 183

Yes. The dictionary. History is the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.
    No. The dictionary, in large part, is not RAW (see: discussions of why purely mental actions may be taken while dead). Further, look at the text of the three stated Knowledge (history) checks:

-Know recent or historically significant event
    -Determine approximate date of a specific event
    -Know obscure or ancient historical event
    The first and third use the term historical/historically. It would have been a simple matter for the second use to be written "Determine the approximate date of a specific historical event." As it was not, and there has not been errata to that effect (despite other errata being issued for the skills section), one cannot assume that, RAW, the second listed use of Know(history) only works for events in the past.

However, common sense, obvious RAI, and the Core Rulebooks which would be flung at your head would all indicate that no, one should not attempt to use Knowledge (history) to divine the future.
    Last edited by CTrees; 2011-12-31 at 09:12 AM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

one cannot assume that, RAW, the second listed use of Know(history) only works for events in the past.
    -Determine approximate date of a specific event
    I think it's pretty obvious in the RAW reading that you have to know of the specific event before attempting to determine it's date, which necessitates that either 1) your character knows the future and said events are immutable enough to make the prediction, or the the ever so much more likely 2) the event occurred in the past.

20. - Top - End - #500

Q 184

Council of Thieves, part 3: What Lies in Dust; page 58, Osirian Spirit Jars.

Is the cost listed for a single jar, or for a set of three jars?

ed: if we take the description of Ring Gates as precedent, the listing is for a set of three, which I suppose makes sense, seeing as the jars are magically connected? is this assumption correct?
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2012-01-01 at 10:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 185
    If you crit with a spell with an attack roll (melee or ranged touch attack), it deals 2x damage. Is this only hit point damage, or will it also apply to ability damage (such as Chill Touch), penalty (such as Ray of Enfeeblement), drain (not sure of a spell that does this), etc.?
    If you deal 2x damage with ability damage and you crit with Chill Touch (and the target fails its Fort save), would you deal 2 strength damage or 1 (since it doesn't have a roll)?
    Same question for Force Hook Cage : would a 11th level Magus deal 11 or 22 damage with it on a crit?
    If you crit with Vampiric Touch as a level 10 caster, would you deal 10d6 damage and gain that much temporary hit points, or would you only gain 5d6 temporary hit points?

Q 186
    If I cast a spell with a duration of 1 round at the start of my turn, does the effect of that spell end at the start of my next turn, or the end of my next turn?

Q 187
    Is there any way for a non-wizard to gain any benefits of a Wizard Arcane school without taking any levels in Wizard?
    For instance, the "Forwarned" ability of the Divination school, or the "Shift" ability of the Teleportation school. Or, you know, an entire school.

Q 188
    Are the Seeker archetype and the Magical Lineage trait the only ways to reduce Metamagic costs in Pathfinder?

Q 189
    Can you select a spell with Magical Lineage that you cannot cast at level 1?
    If you were to Empower (+2) and Maximize (+3) your Magical Lineage spell, would the spell have a +3 or +4 spell adjustment modifier?
    If your Magical Lineage spell is Magic Missile, and you apply Merciful Spell (+0) to it, do you prepare Magic Missile in a level 0 spell slot? I'm assuming that even if it CAN be prepared in a level 0 slot, it would be expended as a normal spell since Magic Missile is not a cantrip. Is this the case?

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

A185:
    A spell that requires an attack roll can score a critical hit. A spell attack that requires no attack roll cannot score a critical hit. If a spell causes ability damage or drain (see Special Abilities), the damage or drain is doubled on a critical hit.
    Ability damage and hit point damage are doubled on critical hits. Anything else apparently not, unless specifically mentioned.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

A 186

The spell ends at the start of the initiative count when you first cast it. 99+% of the time, this does mean that it ends at the start of your next round.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q190 Are there any good ways to avoid being grappled apart from Freedom of Movement? To provide context, we're lvl6 (so no FoM) and going against a superior enemy with a CMB on grapple that basically always succeeds and a large enough CMD that we can't break it. So basically we would need some kind of temporary bonus to either CMB (to break the grapple) or even better, a bonus to CMD so they don't succeed in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #505

A190
    One of the easiest countermeasures to grappling, at low levels, is Grease, cast on the PCs which don't want to be grappled. First level spell, minute/level duration, +10 to CMB and Escape Artist checks to break grapple, +10 CMD to avoid being grappled. A first level wand of Grease, fully charged, costs 750gp and still has a duration of "longer than the fight probably lasts." Plus, allies can help pull each other out of the grapple, for another slight bonus.

It's more resource intensive, but you likely have access to Blink, now, which will make grappling essentially useless. Also, spells like Mirror Image (or even Fly) can help stop you from being grappled in the first place.

Alternatively, if you're not dealing with an improved grab, tentacled monstrosity which could pin an entire party at once, you could conceivably load your tankiest party member down with spiked armor and spiked gauntlets (or whoever has natural weapons/improved unarmed strike), buff them up, and send them over first to provoke hugs. Just having someone who can handle some damage, and has a way to deal damage effectively while grappled, go in and tie that capability up will also solve the problem.
    Last edited by CTrees; 2012-01-05 at 08:00 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Grease is a wonderful idea (since I can cast it) but the the enemy is so absurdly good at grappling that even with a +10 bonus to CMD, it still has a 70% to succeed and since the GM always rolls high (it's the law), it's not gonna be enough. There really ought to be something like the Jump spell but for Escape Artist instead.

Blink would work (I could cast it from a scroll) but while it would allow me to slip a grapple, it would also completely disable me, so that's a no. Mirror Image and Blur would help mitigate the grappling to some degree, if combined with grease, it might even work for a while if I felt particularly lucky.

The creature has the grab ability and can dish out enough damage with rake that being caught for even a round would likely mean death for any of the party members.

Just out of curiosity though:

Q191 Grab ability only works on creatures up to attacker's size. So they don't get a free grapple check if you're big enough, what about the bonus granted by the ability? Most creatures with grab also get a +4 or +8 bonus to grapple checks from the ability, do they still get that bonus if you're too big or not?

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

A191: The RAW is completely unclear about this. Either interpretation would be completely in line with how it's written.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 192:

Does the Gunslinger when he gets Deeds, get acces to all of them or does he has to pick one at given level?

Edit: Already found the answer(:
    Last edited by Zeikstraal; 2012-01-05 at 04:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q193 How does one go about fighting a swarm of fine/dimunitive creatures with no AoE damage capabilities? It just so happens that our party can dish out a lot of damage but all of it targets a single creature and unless I'm missing something swarms that small are immune to all weapon damage and targeted spells which is just an absurd trait. Spells like rays and orbs could logically destroy a large amount of creatures that tightly packed so I don't see the reasoning behind that. Can you target the swarm with alchemist's fire/acid flasks then? It doesn't seem like you could hit it any more than with a targeted spell and if it only takes splash damage then 1 point of damage is pretty much useless (not that 1d6 is much better against a tougher swarm). Am I gonna have to invent a flamethrower to deal with this?

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Q194
    Can you use a metamagic rod with spells from a wand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding