New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Lost in Boop-lation

I really wish it were possible for this comic to use swear words. You really lose much of the impact with the boop references. I do understand that Erfworld is most likely a PG-13 comicstrip, so if it's not possible, it's not possible. But it's something I'd like (or wish) to see.

Sebastian
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Posting may provoke attacks of opportunity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Lost in Boop-lation

There's nothing "most likely" about it being held to PG-13.

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I note that it's only Parson who's ever attempted to say one of the words that comes out as "boop", which makes sense (it simply wouldn't occur to natives to think up words that literally can't be uttered in their world). It's a neat bit of local color, if nothing else.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bux View Post
    I really wish it were possible for this comic to use swear words. You really lose much of the impact with the boop references. I do understand that Erfworld is most likely a PG-13 comicstrip, so if it's not possible, it's not possible. But it's something I'd like (or wish) to see.

Sebastian
    The whole point of the comic is that everything is cutesy, even dragons, skeletons, "croakamancers," &c.

The boop reinforces this motif of the comic. Getting rid of it would undermine it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The comic is primarily targeted at young adults, but the "game" it takes place in is clearly designed for kids (or possibly a Nintendo console), hence the censoring.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know about "cutesy" or PG-13 or aimed at kids, I just see it as another funny aspect of Erfworld.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

You really lose much of the impact with the boop references.
    Quite the opposite, actually. Swear words don't actually mean anything the way they're used these days, and the sentiments they express could be communicated just as well with a grunt or a boop. Censoring them doesn't do much (you can fill in the blanks handily) except express this fact quite effectively.

Plus, the choice of what to censor is rather comical. Parson can't say "screw" or "suck", but everyone else can say "crap".

8. - Top - End - #8

Do you really think he's trying to say "screw" and "suck"?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah...I don't think he's saying "suck."

But we'll pretend!

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, ryos couldn't use the real words, since the GitP filter would asterisk them, which is the same this as "boop" (albiet less comical).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My first impression was that since Parson is in an alternate universe the words he normally uses to swear don't exist in their language so it comes out as "boop." Or if they do exist they don't sound like swear words to the natives. Either way I enjoy it as a part of the comic.

It is possible that the words they curse with are entirely different (if they curse at all). Like in Ann McCaffrey's Pern series since the dragons are so important they curse using words like "shells," "shards" or "by the egg of Firlanth" etc. It took me a bit to figure out that that was their form of swearing because the words were not swear words to me.
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

12. - Top - End - #12

Although the Erfites did complain about Parson using the word "boop", which signifies that they recognize it as profanity. "Boop" is their curse word. It just happens to cover all of the various descriptors that we (as non Erfites) have to choose from. They get the multi-purpose "boop".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You're right. That makes more sense. Boop is the literal translation of Parson's curse words.
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Perhaps it's that all the curse words of earth are the same word in Erfeese. It's possible that more variety of Erf translations besides boop might fullfill the gap I experience. For me I don't feel Parson shouldn't be able to just say the words with which he is accustomed. It's the Erfworldians that should be confused about it. Though maybe in time there will be other words that just cannot exist in Erfworld and we'll see multiple iterations of boop then?
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Though maybe in time there will be other words that just cannot exist in Erfworld and we'll see multiple iterations of boop then?
    Perhaps killed->croaked is another one?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think thats the case. As he did say Dragon and Earth, which obviously do not exist in Erfworld.

I like it, personally, it fits the comic, and not everything needs vulgar language to be good.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

17. - Top - End - #17
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Perhaps it's that all the curse words of earth are the same word in Erfeese. It's possible that more variety of Erf translations besides boop might fullfill the gap I experience. For me I don't feel Parson shouldn't be able to just say the words with which he is accustomed. It's the Erfworldians that should be confused about it. Though maybe in time there will be other words that just cannot exist in Erfworld and we'll see multiple iterations of boop then?
    I think it's clear that "boop" isn't a familiar word to Erfworld natives -- Stanley declared that Parson "doesn't even speak Language", apparently because about every third word he was saying was "Boop".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering the last comic, Sizemore DID seem to know what word Parson used for "boop."

Either that, or he's hard of hearing.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

19. - Top - End - #19

I always figured the idea was that Parson was censored because the world reflects a sort of all-ages MMO, which would filter out what he's saying. The joke is he's the victim of a word filter (just like those trying to type stronger words than "suck" and "screw" here).

And it's not hard to understand him. Replace the word "boop" with the expletive of your choice and it pretty much hits the target.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PS - both "suck" and "screw" have been censored. I offer as evidence the following quotes:

"What the boop? That joke booped."
    and
    "I don't mean to say that I'm a boop-up and we're gonna croak."

21. - Top - End - #21

the third "boop" is probably not "screw", but second is probably "suck", yes.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    PS - both "suck" and "screw" have been censored. I offer as evidence the following quotes:

and
    I interpeted the latter as him using the f-word and not screw. Both words fit equally well in that sentece though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You people are so vulgar. "Boop" this, "boop" that. Didn't your parents ever teach you not to use profanity? What are your children going to think?
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd say all the curse words of Earth are the same word on Earth too. Different people may use different curse words in the same situation, but they all mean the same thing. It's what you use when your vocabulary fails you, basically. So it makes sense for them all to translate to the same word in Language.

25. - Top - End - #25

Agreed. I was just think about that last night. Each curse word has a specific literal meaning, be it human excrement or explicit sexual actions or another, but rarely are they used as such. Mostly they are used as intensifiers or for shock value (which is quickly diminishing). Boop serves to the same effect, essentially, much like a string of askterisks have the same basic effect.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker View Post
    I always figured the idea was that Parson was censored because the world reflects a sort of all-ages MMO, which would filter out what he's saying. The joke is he's the victim of a word filter (just like those trying to type stronger words than "suck" and "screw" here).

And it's not hard to understand him. Replace the word "boop" with the expletive of your choice and it pretty much hits the target.
    I hadn't considered that, but I like the idea that it might be a language filter like you suggest here. It makes more sense that way in the context of the story as it's presented. I can buy that.
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post

and
    My interpretation of this is that Parson has accepted that he can't swear and isn't trying to anymore. Those boops are actually him saying "boop" not f*ck (or suck) which is what he was trying to say when he first got to Erf.