New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I honestly thought that this was an euphemism for you flinging it out a window until you clarified.

To be frank, I think I'll headcanon my original reading of it.

Grey Wolf
    I like that ending better to. I am invoking death of the author and insisting that was what Tvtyrant meant the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Been going to the hospital fairly frequently over the last few months (not for myself, before anyone gets worried). Once they had a band playing in the north pavilion lobby. Now in one of the clinic lobbies they have a full orchestra. Not something I ever thought I'd experience in a hospital.
    ...that seems, uh, a liiiiittle extravagant, to say the least. Also maybe the wrong place to try and stuff in an orchestra.

In other news, Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians in the forum. And happy Monday to everyone everywhere else, I guess.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...that seems, uh, a liiiiittle extravagant, to say the least. Also maybe the wrong place to try and stuff in an orchestra.
    Could very well be charity on behalf of the orchestra, or someone hired them. Or if the orchestra was a tad youngish, students getting some experience in performing in front of a group in.

I'm more wondering how they fit everyone into such a space. Was the hospital huge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Been going to the hospital fairly frequently over the last few months (not for myself, before anyone gets worried). Once they had a band playing in the north pavilion lobby. Now in one of the clinic lobbies they have a full orchestra. Not something I ever thought I'd experience in a hospital.
    Bringing a whole new meaning to the phrase "getting an op. at the hospital".

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Gay Pride was great yesterday. I went with my job for the parade. It was very frustrating to wait for a few hours to start marching but it was worth it.
    Wait, do you mean you went with some co-workers friends or do you mean that your job involved going there?

EDIT:
    Canada Day
    I was going to make a joke about how unoriginal a name this is for a National Day, but then I remembered we couldn't vcome up with any name for the 14th of July, so joke's on me.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-07-01 at 02:47 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Could very well be charity on behalf of the orchestra, or someone hired them. Or if the orchestra was a tad youngish, students getting some experience in performing in front of a group in.

I'm more wondering how they fit everyone into such a space. Was the hospital huge?
    That's fair. I do forget that there are charity events and whatnot sometimes. But the question of space is one I had, too. I don't think a hospital is gonna have a dedicated orchestra pit, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I was going to make a joke about how unoriginal a name this is for a National Day, but then I remembered we couldn't vcome up with any name for the 14th of July, so joke's on me.
    Hey, I mean, it's entirely unambiguous as to what country it's for... and it rolls off the tongue better than "'Country of Maple Leaves, Syrup, Beavers, Meese and Hockey' Day."

7. - Top - End - #487

PirateCaptain

confused Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Wait, the French don't call Bastille Day Bastille Day (or Jour de Bastille)? Why do we have a name for your national day if you don't?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Wait, the French don't call Bastille Day Bastille Day (or Jour de Bastille)? Why do we have a name for your national day if you don't?
    No we don't. In fact there is slight historical debate on wether we are celebrating the 14th of July 1789 (storming of the Bastille) or 1790 (the day of Federation) though pretty much evry non-historian (and most historians) would say 1789.

I guess you do it to be clear what you are tlaking about and because you can't expect non-French people to give any meaning to "July 14".

Funnily, nobody remembers September 22nd and the creation of the First Republic.

Edit: Also "Bastille Day" would be better translated as "Fête de la Bastille" if it was what we called it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-07-01 at 03:45 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Is there anything we don't have a name for?

Like everybody a dating site matches you with being white. That's called 'being in rural England'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Colossus in the Playground

Meese
    Moosen! I SAW A FLOCK OF MOOSEN! MANY MUCH MOOSEN, IN THE WOODSEN!

Also Happy Canada Day, I suppose. Quite enjoying my day off~
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-01 at 03:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

You vastly underestimate the Birmingham medical district. The UAB complex is busier (and larger) than most international airports I've been in.

"Huge" would be an understatement. I mixed up which building we were going to and parked in the wrong deck, so we had to go through Concourse A to the North Pavilion to Concourse C which led to Kirklin Clinic. I think four skywalks (so at least we got a scenic route), coming in at a third of a mile. I know that because I forgot a folder in the car and had to go back and get it, and when I returned my watch congratulated me on a miles worth of walking in the last half hour. And you'd think I was being over descriptive about my whereabouts but oh, you would be so, so mistaken.

Birmingham's medical research is top ranked globally, and let me tell you, if you go to any of the UAB facilities or Children's it shows.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

Reminds me of my first dog, Rex. What did everyone else call their first pets? Don't actually answer that, or my joke will become an actual phishing post and I'll get banned.
    Well you're in luck, I don't really know which one was my first pet so I never use the answer!

It was either Cookie the gerbil or Pipsa, our family dog. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel just like Pubby Nugget, though different colouring.

Cookie's story is a little sad. My sister got two gerbils, a pair of brothers called Leonardo and Fabio. Fun! Extremely cute and sociable.

One day, turns out Fabio wasn't a brother... but a sister. I don't ****ing know how, but we ended up having THREE litters, A, B and C before mum and dad were like... this needs to stop. then again my eldest sister is a narcissistic dumbo that always got her way as a kid/teen as well

Cookie died within a few months. Fabio ended up eating one of Cookie's littersiblings on 1st of May and I will never forget that sight when I went to check on the gerbils. Even though the gerbil was young, it was definitely waaaay past the pink hairless blob stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

13. - Top - End - #493
    Barbarian in the Playground

At the Nashville campus of the VA, they have bluegrass bands every now and then.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Moosen! I SAW A FLOCK OF MOOSEN! MANY MUCH MOOSEN, IN THE WOODSEN!

Also Happy Canada Day, I suppose. Quite enjoying my day off~
    Pfffft. Hadn't heard that one before.

And I think it's a crime to stop someone from enjoying a day off.

You vastly underestimate the Birmingham medical district. The UAB complex is busier (and larger) than most international airports I've been in.

"Huge" would be an understatement. I mixed up which building we were going to and parked in the wrong deck, so we had to go through Concourse A to the North Pavilion to Concourse C which led to Kirklin Clinic. I think four skywalks (so at least we got a scenic route), coming in at a third of a mile. I know that because I forgot a folder in the car and had to go back and get it, and when I returned my watch congratulated me on a miles worth of walking in the last half hour. And you'd think I was being over descriptive about my whereabouts but oh, you would be so, so mistaken.

Birmingham's medical research is top ranked globally, and let me tell you, if you go to any of the UAB facilities or Children's it shows.
    ...geez. That's, uh, whoo boy. I get lost travelling in airports, yeah, so the scale of something that makes those pale is... something.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Reminds me of my first dog, Rex. What did everyone else call their first pets? .[/COLOR]

Trotsky, and Wizard (cats), Fang and Moonshine (Dogs).

I don't remember if it was my Mom or Dad who picked those names.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #496

...geez. That's, uh, whoo boy. I get lost travelling in airports, yeah, so the scale of something that makes those pale is... something.
    If it makes you feel any better, it's still peanuts compared to the Atlanta airport, which has its own completely internal subway system.

I may be overselling the complex size a bit, but yeah, if you're used to normal hospitals and go into one of those buildings it can really be overwhelming.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-01 at 06:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

If it makes you feel any better, it's still peanuts compared to the Atlanta airport, which has its own completely internal subway system.
    Oh, I don't feel so bad then. Atlanta is one of the ones I've gotten lost in.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Wait, do you mean you went with some co-workers friends or do you mean that your job involved going there?

EDIT:

My job involved of going there. My job supports the LGBT community.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I don't feel so bad then. Atlanta is one of the ones I've gotten lost in.
    Got lost in Heathrow. Gotta say, the security was quite lacking given that I accidentally walked into a secured area on accident.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

20. - Top - End - #500

I guess you do it to be clear what you are tlaking about and because you can't expect non-French people to give any meaning to "July 14".
    Probably. Regardless, though, I try to celebrate Bastille Day as often as possible.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Probably. Regardless, though, I try to celebrate Bastille Day as often as possible.
    Okay, but why?
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #502

Okay, but why?
    It speaks to me thematically. Plus, I like the French. That's all the explanation you'll get, though.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably for the same reason people in America celebrate Cinco de Mayo: Excuse for beer and snacks. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who celebrate it don't really know what that day actually is.

24. - Top - End - #504

Probably for the same reason people in America celebrate Cinco de Mayo: Excuse for beer and snacks. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who celebrate it don't really know what that day actually is.
    Well, if I drank beer, maybe.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Something to do with Mexico?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if I drank beer, maybe.
    Surely you must eat snacks at least.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Something to do with Mexico?
    Close enough for most folks.

27. - Top - End - #507

PirateCaptain

Not to mention St Patrick's Day, Chinese New Year and Oktoberfest.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to mention St Patrick's Day, Chinese New Year and Oktoberfest.
    I think most Americans are aware of what Chinese New Year is, at least.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I noticed that in McDonalds, customers order food by machines instead of old fashioned ordering at the cashiers. Would you like to Super Size that?

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, if you don't like that, you probably shouldn't look at doordash or anything similar...I mean, I can order food without being presentable!