New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ghostly Long Grass Club- A Touhoumon Nuzlocke

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the annual Loli Cockfighting Championships yet another Let's Play I'm going to attempt! I promise I'll try not to let this one die.1

Almost all of you will have heard of Pokémon. Some of you will have heard of Touhou. And a a fair few of you will have heard of Rule ⑨ of the internet. "If it exists, it has a crossover with Touhou." And this most definitely applies to Pokémon-so much that there is at least one site where one coder hosts three different versions. This particular Let's Play will make use of Touhoumon Merry, or Aqua+Yui, which is more-or-less a faithful Touhou re-write of Pokémon FireRed. And just because I thought it'd be something cool to try, I'll be using (a variant) of the ever-popular Nuzlocke Rules, which are as follows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzlocke Rules
    1. I will only be allowed to catch the first Touhoumon I encounter in a given route, cave etc.
    1A. If I have already caught the first Touhoumon I encounter on a route, I skip it.
    1B. If I accidentally kill the Touhoumon in question or run out of Touhou Balls, I can try again with the next encounter. I'm not about to lose out on a catch because I'm too poor or the RNG decides to hate me, but I promise not to misuse this clause to pick my catches-I must always at least attempt to catch the first encounter.
    1C. Rule 1 is temporarily revoked if I do not have any Touhoumon capable of learning a HM I need to advance.
    2. Any Touhoumon that faints is permanently boxed, and considered dead from a narrative standpoint.
    3. Everything gets a nickname. I may (read: almost certainly) turn to audience suggestions for nicknames, because I'm not good at pop culture.
    Now, with that out of the way, I'll allow the audience to vote on whether our protagonist is male or female tomboyish or ladylike2 and their name. What? It's a Touhou game. Keeping in mind that the "male" protagonist and the rival use the same sprite, so...

1: I can't guarantee I won't pull a Teutoberg Forest3 on this one, but I'll try and get back to it eventually in that case.
    2: Respectively, in that pic. Their actual names are Renko Usami and Maribel Hearn, if you're interested. Also Maribel's dress isn't that low-cut in-game, perverts.
    3: Getting depressed after a particularly horrible loss and giving up on it. It's a historical in-joke. Caesar Augustus supposedly started banging his head against a wall after that one.

Now, all that said, I'll let you folks get started.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-06-26 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostly Long Grass Club- A Touhoumon Nuzlocke

Definitely go with the ladylike one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

3. - Top - End - #3

I would never have guessed. This means you're fine if I say she's Yukari, right?

Let's see what other interest we get.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-06-26 at 11:35 AM.
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Well I've never seen Touhou but nuzlockes must be encourged!

Go with the ladylike one. She has a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ladylike; call her Ojou-sama if you can fit it. Everyone will be incredibly polite/subservient to you! Disclaimer: I am wholly unaware of any cultural context for such a name beyond its cliche use in anime, etc.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2012-06-26 at 12:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I, um... I can't see any tomboys in the picture. All I see is two ladies. Then again I have no idea who those two characters are. My knowledge of Touhou is severly limited.

I vote for playing the one with the silly hat red bows blonde hair anyway, because Pokémon good and nuzlockes are always fun to watch.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-06-26 at 01:20 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Well I've never seen Touhou but nuzlockes must be encourged!
    Touhou isn't an anime so much as it is an enormous and insanely productive fanbase clustered around a series of bullet hell shooters. Quite a large portion of the fanbase don't play the games themselves for various reasons-because they're too hard, because they can't find them anywhere, because they just don't know the games are the source of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I, um... I can't see any tomboys in the picture. All I see is two ladies. Then again I have no idea who those two characters are. My knowledge of Touhou is severly limited.
    The game literally presents the options "tomboy" and "lady" in place of "male" and "female". I'll admit, I don't know Renko very well, but I'm not dreadfully sure if she is a tomboy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly
    I vote for playing the one with the silly hat
    My good man, no Touhou is complete without her hat. Learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Ladylike; call her Ojou-sama if you can fit it. Everyone will be incredibly polite/subservient to you!
    As fun as this would be, I'm going to say no. For one, I can't imagine doing any serious writing for a character whose very name is an anime cliché, and two, there is MYSTERIOUS PLOTTERY AFOOT which will mean our PC will have a serious problem with terms like that. But I think you'll find your choice of name oddly prophetic as far as starters go... Please don't spoil this for those who don't get it.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-06-26 at 02:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Mage View Post
    Feeling strangely tempted to point out the many exceptions to that rule .

Anyway, this thread is relevant to my interests. And why no love for poor Renko . She gets my (most likely useless) vote, tomboy or not.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Feeling strangely tempted to point out the many exceptions to that rule .

Anyway, this thread is relevant to my interests. And why no love for poor Renko . She gets my (most likely useless) vote, tomboy or not.
    Well, according to TVTropes...

Touhou Wiki, which lists 123 characters, has a special category called "Characters without hats"... with 8 names.
    Last edited by Volatar; 2012-06-26 at 02:05 PM.
    My Twitter

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I will also vote for the tomboy option. I like the cut of her jib...
    ...Also, I'll add that I find Tohou neat and yet completely intimidating.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Well, according to TVTropes...
    Ten, actually (Byakuren, Nue, Kogasa, Kaguya, Parsee, Rinnosuke, Sara, Yuuka, YuugenMagan and Yumemi). But that page could perfectly be renamed as "Characters without any kind of hair adornment, hat or not". Because for example and as far as I'm aware, Sanae doesn't wear a hat, and I don't see her listed there.

12. - Top - End - #12

That category basically covers everyone without any kind of head accessory. Hat, hair clip, animal ears and the like.

YuugenMagan is a cluster of giant metallic eyes anyway, so I don't see what the big deal about it lacking a hat is.

Also. May I ask for clarification on what the usual Nuzlocke stance on the Safari Zone is?
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-06-26 at 02:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Also. May I ask for clarification on what the usual Nuzlocke stance on the Safari Zone is?
    It varies quite a lot from what I've seen, but the most frequent option is counting each of the four zones (central, 1, 2 and 3) as separate areas. Of course, the "can only catch the first thing you come across" rule still applies in each of those zones.

Oh, and YuugenMagan should totally wear a different hat on each of its eyes . That also goes for the Five Magic Stones. Hats for everyone!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

My knowledge of Touhou can basically be summed up as: "Girls with frilly dresses, hats, and magical powers from a series of insanely hard bullet hell games. Also, something something youkai something."

I'm sure this LP will prove educational.
    Truth resists simplicity.

15. - Top - End - #15

Part One - Trainers Do Their Best Now and are Preparing

Spoiler
    Show

Adventure!

Erm... Hi? Ohgodwhatdoeshewantwithme

... I've been living here for sixteen years. Why are you saying this now?
    Oak: Look, I'm trying to monologue here. Aren't you supposed to be a silent protagonist anyway? *sigh* Anyway. My name is Samuel Oak.

Oak: This world...

Why are you demonstrating this with the bunny girl?
    Oak: Please be quiet.

So... you're a fifty-ish year old man who studies little girls for a living?
    Oak: Be quiet. I'm not even asking you anymore.

Why do you want to know my name all of a sudden?
    Oak: Be. Quiet.

I just told you that, didn't I?
    Oak: Are you deaf or something?
    I don't know, are you?

Why do you want to know about my friends all of a sudden?
    Oak: Why will you not just shut up and play along?

... She is clearly a girl, professor.
    Oak: Look, I didn't program this sequence, will you just give me a break?

I just told you! I just damn well told you! How can you have forgotten already?
    Oak: ... Okay. Screw this. Get out.

Later...

Let's see... spam, spam, phishing, spam, desperately emotional message from a former lo-spam, reminder that Oak is handing out Touhous today, free hentai douj-Oak is handing out Touhous today!?

Heymomyou'llbecookingdinnerforoneforawhileI'lltrya ndremembertophoneyougoodbye!
    Mom: Uh, wha-*door slamming*

In the lab...

Oh. Hi Renko.
    Fashionably late as usual, eh?
    *sigh* Please don't start. What are you doing here, anyway?
    I think you can figure that out. You're a smart girl.
    Okay, then where's Oak?
    Haven't a clue.
    Have you considered looking?
    Well, I-*door slamming*

OHCRAPWHATDIDIDO

Oak: Do you have any idea how dangerous the wilderness is for a young lady with no way to defend herself?

Do you have any idea how dangerous following around old men is for a young lady with no way to defend herself?
    Oak: Don't start this again.

Oh, uh, you found him. Great.
    Slow and steady, Renko. Slow and steady.

Finally.
    Oak: ... I'm glad I don't have children.
    What's that supposed to mean?
    *Is doing her best to look innocent*

We're girls.
    Oak: Shut up both of you. Just take a Touhou and leave.

Reimu: *Glare*
    Eheh... please don't hurt me.

Marisa: Listen, lady, I know what 'yer expectin, but-
    Listen, if I can't trust you with my credit card, I can't trust you to beat people up.

Finally, someone well behaved. I'll take her.

Sakuya: A pleasure to meet you, ojou-sama.
    (Taken aback) ... Please don't call me that.
    ... But you are my mistress, are you not, ojou-sa-
    (In desperation... is she frightened?) I ORDER YOU NOT TO CALL ME THAT!
    ... Very well, ojou-sa-miss Hearn.
    T-thank you...

I like the cut of this miko's jib.
    Finally, someone who recognizes talent.

Wait what I never agreed to this

Hey, pad-chou!
    ... That is uncalled for. *cracks knuckles*

Thank Yukari for healing items!
    I call bullsh*t!

*massive sigh of relief*
    That was entirely undignified. I'll make sure to knock you cold faster next time.

You do that, I'll try and get mine a proportionate head.

One heal later...

Onwards!

Oh crap, a salesman.

Well, I'm sure that will be useful, but wouldn't I notice a store like this without you te-

... Ooh, free stuff!

... Where did you get those knives?
    ... It's a lot easier for both of us if you don't ask.
    Where are you even keeping those-
    It is a lot easier for both of us if you do not ask.

Random lady with no understanding of real estate: This is private property!
    No, it's a main road.
    Random lady: ... Just go away.

OHCRAPWHATDIDIDO

As much as he'd like to say no, I do.

... Have you ever heard of a post office?
    Clerk: Look, the designers needed some reason to get you to go back to Pallet Town, so can you please just deliver the parcel.
    *sigh* Alright, but I expect an employee discount when I get back.

One fetch quest later...

Oak: Get out of my la-
    *shoves parcel into Oak's hand* Just take your damn pictures or whatever and let me get on with my life.
    Oak: Oh good, my custom Touhou ball. Now get ou-
    Hey Oak! I'm here for the notebook!

Oak: ... Well, crap. Alright, here's the scoop; I recently got in some advanced research tools from Tengu Tech, and when I found that I had two left over, I promised myself I'd give them to the first two trainers I gave Touhous to. Now, as much as I wish I wasn't, I'm a man of my word, so just take the Ayanotes and go.

How is this a noteboo-
    Oak: Out. Now.

*THUNK*
    Ow, why did you throw these at m-waaait, I can use these to get more Touhou, right?
    Oak: ... Damn, that was the wrong crate.

Later...

Okay, let's see he-

Are you my mommy?
    ... Aww. Why aren't all you girls so precious?
    I take it you're going to catch this one, miss Hearn?
    I thought you were a maid, not a mind-reader.

Hooray!

OOC Stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reimu is the generalist starter, with a slight emphasis towards her physical stats and a decent, if somewhat type-limited learnset with good access to defensive and support moves. She-rather wierdly for a starter-is a normal type, picking up flying after evolving, and has a rather nice TM learnset, varying from Psychic to Rock Tomb to Toxic. But really, who uses TMs?

Marisa is the sweeper of the three, built around Special Attack and Speed and boasting a rather varied learnset-Thief, Swift, Thunder Bolt and even Dragon Meteor, just to name a few. (N.B. Dragon Meteor would have been quite useful for Lance, given that there are about two dragon types in the entire game.) On top of that, there are a few versions (this one is not one, I don't think) where she can be evolved into Last Word Marisa, who honestly has a Sp. Atk so high it should be considered a war crime. However, her typing is somewhat unfortunate-pure Electric, picking up Fire type in her final evolution, which, combined with a base HP stat that never goes above 80, makes her a little unsuitable for a Nuzlocke. (Funnily enough though, this gives her a type advantage against both of the other starters.)

Sakuya is the defensive starter-and she does that well, with even her starting form having a base of 60 in both of her defenses and 75 base HP (Umad, Marisa?) and becoming Ice/Steel after evolving. Her initial attack power is kind of a letdown (the fact I beat Renko's starter with ONE HP left attests to that), and she doesn't tank especially well in her early levels (find a Pokemon who does, why don't you...), but I'm not kidding when I say anything without Fire or Fighting type moves will struggle to even make a dent in the Perfect and Elegant Maid after she evolves. And her moveset, although mainly Ice and Steel, packs a few neat tricks... She does start as a pure ice type though, so I may need to evolve her before trying to take on Brock.

First off, let me summarize my thoughts on catching Alice:
    Spoiler
    Show

I have no clue what the precise encounter rate on Alice is, but it is low. Anyway. Alice is a Special stat... specialist. She presents decent stats across the board (her EX form, for example, has all but two of her base stats between 100 and 90), but her Special Attack and Defence are great. (80 base Sp. Atk in her 1st evolution? Nice.) She is a Psychic type-which is pretty neat this early on, as one or two of Brock's Touhous are packing Fighting/whatever types, and gains an Ice typing after she evolves. At this rate, though, I'll really need something to counter Fire types soon-though from playing Touhoumon Blue, those folks seem kind of rare. I have no idea what her abilities, Doll Wall and Doll Master, do-nor do I know which one she has, seeing as my savestate is set at the nickname screen-and although her learnset seems pretty neat, I don't really know what some of these actually do. (As for Artful Sacrifice, however, I have a very good idea as to what it does...)

And so here we are. I have no idea what to nickname this strapping young lady, so does anyone have any suggestions?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Doll Wall deals a bit of damage to whoever hits CAlice with an attack that makes contact. Doll Master... I'm not sure, but I think it works like Plus and Minus together with Doll, which only a handful of 'mons (Dolls, Shanghai and Hourai) can have, so it's mostly useless. In summary: I really, really hope that yours got Doll Wall. Alice is a wonderful puppet in any case, she'll wreak havoc on half of Brock's team and can handle the other half if needed.

And, unless we're playing different versions of this hack, there are Last Word evolutions. Only problem is that most of them require Sun Stones, and there aren't many of those running around before the post-game. I *think* you can steal them from wild CYukaris (Route 22 IIRC, although quite rare), but I'm not sure. For anyone curious, LMarisa's base special attack is 155. Ouchie.

Be sure to check out for other special evolutions, too. Moon Stone on Sakuya's second stage leads to her Final form, which is even more of a defensive powerhouse and replaces her Ice subtype with Dark. CAlice can get there if by the time of her first evolution her defense is greater than her attack, which leads to another monster wall. Both rock hard.

I'm terrible with nicknames, so I'll leave that for someone else to handle. Also, what, I thought the one who was always late was Renko .

17. - Top - End - #17

Well, Maribel is theorized to be related to Yukari, and what is she well known for again?

I'm using Touhou Wiki's Touhoudex, by the way, which, although good, doesn't list many branch evolutions besides the Advents. Not really the best to be honest.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Well, Maribel is theorized to be related to Yukari, and what is she well known for again?

I'm using Touhou Wiki's Touhoudex, by the way, which, although good, doesn't list many branch evolutions besides the Advents. Not really the best to be honest.
    Point .

I was going to recommend this Touhoudex, which at least is more complete than the Touhou Wiki one (has all the UFO crew listed, for example), but I've found that it also has its share of mistakes, mostly in evolution triggers and such. At least you can check types and stats, since those are accurate as far as I know.

Related: I'm checking my ROM with YAPE, and apparently Reimu and Marisa evolve to their L forms via Moon Stone, not Sun Stone (which leads to their F forms), while Sakuya works the opposite way (Moon -> FSakuya, Sun -> LSakuya). Confusing . I'd recommend you to grab yourself YAPE from Pokecommunity and check for yourself to avoid future surprises.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2012-06-28 at 04:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, I just nicknamed Alice (thanks for all the help there guys) and found out that her ability is... Doll Master. -_- And she also has a Jolly nature, so getting her is a tiny bit of a mixed blessing, but she will probably pulp most of Brock's team in any case. Izayoi is Adamant. EAT KNIVES, FEMALE DOGS.

Out of curiosity, is anyone apart from Neon actually reading this? You've all certainly been kind of quiet since the first update...
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-06-30 at 05:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I'm reading. I just didn't have a name idea, and so I couldn't think of what to say.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading all of it. I am just uncreative when it comes to names. I tend to name my Pokemon in actual Pokemon after Touhou characters.
    My Twitter

22. - Top - End - #22

Part Two - Why do I, catch all these male Touhous?

Spoiler
    Show

Well?
    Random lady: Okay, so I looked up a little real estate law...
    And?
    Random lady: *sigh* A main road is not private property. So just go on ahead, please.
    Thank you.

Random old man: Hey, young lady!
    OHCRAPWHATDIDIDO

... Why did you feel the need to tell me that.
    Random old man: Oh, I dunno. Say, want to sit through a painfully slow tutorial?
    I'd rather not, please.
    Random old man: Nonsense, there's absolutely no way you could have any inkling of the information I'm about to show you, so just it back and enjoy the railroad!

Oh for goodness' sake no I don't want your tutorial please stop agh

One completely unnecessary tutorial later...

Random old man: Wasn't that educational?
    Look, old man? I am not the moron you just caught. I know how to throw balls at little girls.
    ... Miss Hearn, does anything about that sentence seem-
    Moving swiftly on!

... Why are the doors closed? Don't these guys have to fight to get paid or something?
    Actually, if they lose, they pay us.
    ... How the heck is that a business strategy?
    I don't know.
    Ah, let's just go to Pewter.

On Route 2...

Aww, it's a catgi-what the hell is that bulge in her skirt?
    Chen: Ya got one guess, lady.
    Carol kill it now
    Yes, miss Hearn.

A cat in a sealed box is both dead and alive!
    Ow, my brain!

I thought you wanted to kill him, not catch him.
    ... Damn, that was the wrong pocket.
    So ya caught me by accident, eh? Real confidence boost right there.

Back in town...

Hi, do you do sex change operations?
    Nurse: ... We just heal things, sorry.
    Bah. To the convenience store!

Some shopping later...

Yeah, do you stock any of those shady Eientei brand drugs I keep hearing about?
    Clerk: Uh... look, I've been to jail before and it's not a nice place. So if we can just pretend you didn't say that...
    Hey boss, I found some new digs in the costume aisle back here, what do ya think?
    Uh... not bad. At least it's not cross-dressing.
    Hey now, peer pressure's a helluva thing, lady.
    *sigh* Whatever you say, Jubei.

On Route 2...

Oh god, not another one. Let's just deal with this and hope we have less LGBT* to deal with in the forest over there.

Little girl: Have you caught one yet?
    Eheh... yeah. It's "his" in my case, unfortunately.
    I'm still here!
    I know.

Eheh... that's nice.
    Eh, we can take 'em.

Why do I have to be wrong about this of all things. *sigh* You know what to do, Carol.
    Yes miss Hearn.

The more precisely you know the location of a specific atom, the more likely it is that it isn't there!
    Sunny Milk: Wait how does that even work

... Well, at least this one's wearing pants. Let's start preparing for these fairy catchers.

Why are there so many of you?

Wriggle is a girl!
    Star Sapphire: My mind is full of boggle

There, that should just about do it.
    Izayoi... you almost cut her in half.
    You can't be too pragmatic.

Star Sapphire: Thank Yukari for healing items!
    I call bullsh*t!

There, that should just about do it.
    ... Jubei, you actually cut him in half.
    Ya can't be too pragmatic.
    *sigh* Whatever, let's keep moving.

No thank you?
    Fairy catcher: ... What do you mean?
    I mean, what if I don't want to fight you?
    Fairy catcher: Sorry, I have no idea what you're saying, so let's just assume it's irrelevant and battle, okay?
    Are you deaf? I'd rather not battle you-
    Ah, come on Maribel, he's only a fairy catcher. He won't be a challenge.
    *sigh* Fine.

One ass-kicking later...

Why would fairies be hacking anything? They're idiots.
    Now, see, was that so bad?
    I... guess not, actually. I mean, I knew I'd have to fight people in the League, but for people to randomly challenge me wherever I go?
    Kinda comes with the territory, ma'am. Did ya expect to get the whole league over with just by saying "Hey, I'm not much for violence, can ya just give me the badge and let me go on my way?"
    *sigh* No...
    So it's time to stop acting like it. What are ya so worried about anyway? Ya've made it this far, haven't ya? Ya know yer a good trainer, but ya act like yer convinced everything ya touch dies. What's up with that?
    I... I don't want to talk about it.
    Well, why no-*tohoball'd*
    Miss Hearn... is everything alright?
    *snappily* I'm fine, Izayoi.
    ... If you insist.

A few battles later...

KYAAAH!
    Carol!

Damn it! Izayoi, get me a Potion!
    On it.
    *breathing heavily* M-miss He-*gasp* Hearn...
    Carol? I'm getting you some medicine, but right now, I need you to make that bitch regret what she's just done.
    I *sniff*... Yes, miss Hearn.

... That was far too close. Carol, stay in your ball until we reach an Eirin Center, okay?
    Y-yes miss Hearn...

Later...

Why? Do you want me to take it easy?
    Fairy catcher: No, I want to fight you for money.
    Okay then.

Fairy catcher: Woah, take it easy, will ya?
    I knew it!

*sigh* Here's another one. Where do you guys keep coming from anyway, Jubei?
    *shudder* It's irrelevant.
    No, it's completely releva-
    It is what I say it is.

One capture later...

Well, here we are!
    'Bout time, eh?
    ... Please don't remind me.
    Alright then. You're the boss.
    *grimacing* Please don't remind me...

* I have nothing against the LGBT community and thoroughly apologize if I have offended anyone at any point in the update.

OOC stuff:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to point out that (our) Jubei isn't actually a cat, but he is wearing the hoodie-trenchcoat-thing in the picture provided. And Tael is wearing those really baggy skirt-pants you see mikos wearing-yes, those are pants and yes, they're a unisex garment. Plus Sunny Milk's costume already looks a little bit like a miko uniform. No idea as for costume conventions for Mystia, though.

Now that Izayoi knows Double Kick, she finally has access to a move that does more damage than Scratch, which is good for us, seeing as her Attack stat progression is a little sub-par right now. She'll pick up Metal Claw next level, evolves at level 18 and two levels after that learns... well, you'll see. So, at least for her, we have some grinding to do, but it'll be managable. Brock's touhous will around level 15 anyway.

Alice learns Psybeam next level. So, uh, yeah. Awesome. She evolves at level 26, so we're definitely not going to be fighting Brock with a regular Alice (why would I do that anyway, she gains an Ice type). Five levels after Psybeam, she picks up Aurora Beam, so her early levels really put her Special Attack to use. After Aurora Beam she learns some move called LittleLegion at level 22... which I'm not sure as to the effect of, but I'd think it's some kind of multi-hit move. Well, we can find out.

Speed and Attack are what Chen lives on, excels at-at the expense of everything else. Her HP and Defence are okay, sure, but her special stats are a joke-which isn't a problem for her offensive capabilities, given that she doesn't learn a single Special move, but this really puts her at odds with her pure Ground typing-all three of her weaknesses use Special moves. Her moveset is fairly simple, picking up most of the Mud X moves, with one or two normal-type moves worming their way in-and later on in her learnset, she picks up some surprising versatility with Metal and Poison Claw. Pretty good for a Com Mon, all in all.

Sunny Milk is a pure Fire type, as is her learnset, although she does pick up Swagger, Secret Power and Light Screen later on- though Light Screen shows up at level 52, so... yeah. Her stats are nothing special, really-aside from her Health and, of all things, Speed, most of her stats hang around a below-average threshold, and on top of this, her second evolution requires a Fire Stone, so yshe's really nothing special until the late game. EX Sunny Milk is pretty amazing though, with good general stats in addition to the Health and Sp. Def of a tank and the Speed of a sweeper, so if she survives until then, she'll be quite able to deal with Lorelei-assuming we don't catch any other fire types until then.

Mystia is part of the ranks of the archetypical Normal/Flying Com mons-but is actually a pretty good catch. Her moveset blends typical Flying-type moves with debuffing attacks such as Sing, Tickle and even Perish Song, and her stats are very respectable indeed all-round, with an emphasis on Speed. For extra brownie-points, she even picks up Hyper Voice around level 40, assuming we keep evolving her. OR, we can keep her stashed until we get a Sun Stone and evolve her into Advent Mystia, who swaps out the generalism of the main Mystia line and becomes a Sp. Def tank and gains access to more supporting moves like Screech and Heal bell, along with Mimic and a few new moves I don't know the effects of. Of course, there are other Advent evolutions and a very finite amount of Sun Stones, so we'll see how the rest of our catches turn out.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-07-03 at 08:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Lookin' good. Izayoi and Carol should handle Brock easily, two 'mons for each, even easier if Izayoi evolves firsthand. Oh, and be careful: CAlice evolves at level sixteen, not twenty-six. Not that it matters, none of Brock's girls (?) should survive long enough to throw rocks at her, and you don't even need to grind that high to be safe against him. She seems to be headed to the Alice->EAlice/LAlice/BAlice (hah) route, too, which means she'll be slightly harder to keep alive but will also destroy everything in her path if you do. Oh, and unless my memory fails me LittleLegion is just a Normal-type, high-ish powered attack move with no secondary effects. Nice to have, but not what you want to be using with an Alice.

Mystia is surprisingly effective for an early bird, but yeah, her standard evolution doesn't cut it in the late game. AMystia is a great, fast special tank (Moon Stone though, not Sun) and has fantastic type coverage via TMs. LMystia hits really hard and fast both physically and specially, and is also Dark/Flying, but needs a Sun Stone and is kinda fragile for a L form. And then there's GMystia, which is just weird (Flying/Steel, evolves via Thunderstone, good attack and sp. def. but horrid HP and defense and low speed for a bird, and a very varied and promising learnset with, for example, a very early Tailwind).

Chen's simple, she (he!) just hits hard and fast. Can learn Dig and Earthquake and use them with STAB, which is great, but her overall stats are a bit poor. There's also AChen, which is basically the same but with more TM compatibility, a different learnset (earlier Poison Claw and natural Earthquake at L40!) and 50 more base points to improve her HP and (slightly) her defenses with. Not sure if it's worth the Sun Stone. Same goes for Sunny, really, which doesn't even have alternate evolutions. Fire types are nice in any case, and there's not much else to realistically choose from in that department: Mokou and Utsuho are rare-ish (look out for the latter after Nugget Bridge, though,) Kisume is a different kind of 'mon altogether and Rin comes a bit too late, IIRC.

24. - Top - End - #24

... Yeah, I'm glad I picked up YAPE now. Most of this stuff doesn't show up on the wiki at all unless I'm specifically looking for it. And all these evolutions are going to give me quite a bit to peruse over...

25. - Top - End - #25

Sorry it's been so long since the last update, guys. This tends to happen when I have a sudden influx of free time. That said, I'll try and get something up this week-I'm going to France soon, so after this coming weekend, don't expect to hear much from me for a week or so.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-07-24 at 01:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Okay, I have good news and bad news. Good news: I have taken all the screenshots I need for the next update, and am ready to upload them at any time. Bad news, I am leaving for France in about fifteen minutes, and I'm not sure if I'll really be able to get any updates done while I'm there. But hey, at least when I get back I can whip one up double-time. Spoiler: someone died.

EDIT: Also, 200MB usage limit on the hotel wi-fi. Haha, no.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-08-02 at 11:59 AM.