New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: lets destroy the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Malroth View Post
    I fail to see how this is easier than having a cancer mage UMD a scroll of plane shift.
    Mine doesn't require arbitrarily high <anything> Just prep time and a relatively small number of "magic Items" in the contingencies on the 50gp/unit skeleton carriers. With a decent sized organization behind it providing funding, say an illithid enclave, mine's actually doable if there's not some exceedingly important detail I'm still missing.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I follow now, but at the same time, the choice of 6 anchor points was essentially arbitrary. You can get 2 anchors in geosynchronous or even geostationary orbit and have them stable to each other for the same net-effect. The whole wall is springing into existence in an instant in the basic version.
    Sure, but that is where the horrible tidal forces come in. All the sections of the wall are going to want to orbit (and/or fall) at different speeds and different directions. I don't believe iron has enough tensile strength to reasonably deal with that kind of warping; even if it somehow held together, large segments would start falling rather rapidly inward at the poles, because there's no way you'd have enough stiffness to keep them in the same shape against gravity.

Basically you're trying to make a (paper-) thin iron bubble held up and stretched out by gravity by spinning it around, and that just isn't going to happen. A narrow ring you can do, but not a full sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hm. Where are the earth/sun Lagrange points? Maybe you could build something there.
    Perhaps so. Not sure if you could get it big enough to remain stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Sure, but that is where the horrible tidal forces come in. All the sections of the wall are going to want to orbit (and/or fall) at different speeds and different directions. I don't believe iron has enough tensile strength to reasonably deal with that kind of warping; even if it somehow held together, large segments would start falling rather rapidly inward at the poles, because there's no way you'd have enough stiffness to keep them in the same shape against gravity.

Basically you're trying to make a (paper-) thin iron bubble held up and stretched out by gravity by spinning it around, and that just isn't going to happen. A narrow ring you can do, but not a full sphere.

Perhaps so. Not sure if you could get it big enough to remain stable.
    You lost me again.

A) the wall isn't in sections. It's all one solid piece. At least in one version.

B) it's stone, not iron. Wall of iron has to be a flat sheet.

C) what role does centrifugal force play in this? I know it plays some role.

D) Some carefully placed reverse gravity support may be in order. Fortunately gravity is very manipulable in D&D.

I'm not saying that my project is a simple one, but I think it -may- be doable within a reasonable (relativly speaking) time frame. It's not cheap either, but I don't think it's completely outside of the bounds possibilty either.

It clearly needs more thought though.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-12 at 05:10 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

A) the wall isn't in sections. It's all one solid piece. At least in one version.
    Well, no; however, different areas of the piece are experiencing different forces and moving at different speeds. In particular, the closer you are to the poles, the slower the effective linear momentum is for the same given angular rotation. I was using sections to refer to those different areas, not separated chunks.

B) it's stone, not iron. Wall of iron has to be a flat sheet.
    Right, sorry. That is unfortunately even worse; stone tends to be moderately strong in compression, but doesn't have much tensile strength.

C) what role does centrifugal force play in this? I know it plays some role.
    You could loosely say that that's part of what's supporting the equatorial ring (which is the only part following an actual orbit). It also has some effect on the rest of the structure, but weaker and poorly directed as you move poleward from the equator in both directions (it has a roughly fixed angle and a decreasing strength), whereas gravity is exerting a fixed pull at varying angles).

D) Some carefully placed reverse gravity support may be in order. Fortunately gravity is very manipulable in D&D.
    That ... could work. It would be tricky to place, and very expensive, but it would solve most of the macro-scale stresses. However, you'd still need a sturdy framework to build it on, otherwise spreading the forces from reversed and regular gravity out would break it apart in small pieces rather than big. And, of course, the other vaguely-alluded-to hazards would still need to be dealt with.

If you solved all those engineering problems, it'd be kinda interesting to run a campaign around, I think, but definitely more Isaac Asimov than Tolkien.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

If you solved all those engineering problems, it'd be kinda interesting to run a campaign around, I think, but definitely more Isaac Asimov than Tolkien.
    Probably a little more like Larry Niven, but your point is well taken.

Although...
    A wall of stone is 1 inch thick per four caster levels and composed of up to one 5-foot square per level. You can double the wall’s area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.
    I don't see it being able to be stretched any more than double per the description. Are we just extrapolating here, or are we just applying that sentence multiple times? I guess with a generous reading we could do that.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Actually the gravitational thing isn't at all tricky, except in placement. The basic unit is the reverse gravity spell, which simply inverts the local gravity in its AoE. Placed in such a way as to have the wall exactly where gravity and reversed gravity intersect you get a point of null gravity.

The biggest cost problem is that reverse gravity isn't on the permanency list, necessitating the creation of magic devices if we stick to strickt raw. I actually have come up with a cost effective way to make permanent spells, but under the strictest definition it'd probably be considered home-brew.

..... RESETTING TRAPS!!!

Holy hell, I think I just invented antigravity in D&D.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Probably a little more like Larry Niven, but your point is well taken.

Although...

I don't see it being able to be stretched any more than double per the description. Are we just extrapolating here, or are we just applying that sentence multiple times? I guess with a generous reading we could do that.
    I'm applying the clause multiple times. There's nothing there that says you can -only- halve the thickness to double the area.

Strict V permissive reading of an ambiguous rule like this is up to the individual GM. I don't think my reading changes the power level of the spell at all.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not to nitpick, but are people's mathematical calculations based upon the Earth, and It's Sun?
    I believe someone once stated that each of the 'recognized' settings are MUCH smaller than the Earth (I remember a map of the Earth with almost all of them placed on it, scale for scale).
    Add to that, the 'Sun' may well be an orb a few hundred feet in diameter attached to the inside of a shell painted with stars. It may be a God. It may be a vehicle of a God. The only thing you CAN say, is that it gives off light.
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Could we have the Wall of Stone shell supported by Immovable Rods?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Wall of Stone shell could be supported by Wall of Stone columns, planted into the ground at 8 points around the globe. Just be sure to make them Invisible or fit them with SEP fields.
    Last edited by panaikhan; 2012-10-12 at 08:01 AM.
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

There's a spell which makes the sun go into an ecplipse. Isn't that a bit more tasteful?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
    There's a spell which makes the sun go into an ecplipse. Isn't that a bit more tasteful?
    It's been adressed and discarded on account of it only covers a couple miles of area on the surface of the planet and is an epic spell.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Male

It's been adressed and discarded on account of it only covers a couple miles of area on the surface of the planet and is an epic spell.
    Yeah. We can do better with non-epic spells, which tend to be more powerful than what's already written for epic spells, assuming intelligent use and/or metamagic.

Also, it's postulated in some sources, such as the Manual of the Planes, that the sun in some campaign worlds is merely a gate to the positive energy plane (PEP).

It should be easy enough to close via Disjunction, or possibly with a Dimensional Anchor or Dimension Lock.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2012-10-12 at 10:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

To be more precise: it's not "4000 cu ft + 1000 cu ft/level", it's "four 10' cubes + one 10' cube/level (S)". The distinction is unfortunately important; you can't shape it any tighter than 10' on a given dimension (according to the usual spell shaping rules).
    ...I've never seen those rules before. Well that's out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    Could we have the Wall of Stone shell supported by Immovable Rods?
    Personally I doubt this thread needs to be derailed any further by questioning the physics of immovable rods (What is it that they are immovable relative to? Conventional use suggests that they are immovable with respect to a nearby given point on the earth's surface, essentially meaning that they are in very low-altitude geostationary orbit... not going into that for now). But feel free to try!

HOWEVER, on the subject of the wall of stone shell: It's looking like that would be pretty hard to put together, but why do you actually need it in geosynchronous orbit, or as a solid shell, for that matter? Surely we could do the same thing by Disintegrating some walls of stone or other created blocks of mass moving at orbital speeds around the planet--a dust cloud ought to be just as effective as a molecules-thick wall of stone, and much easier to keep in orbit.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2012-10-12 at 11:22 AM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Did anyone know if there is an ability to uncap those per level/ per day/ per mile whatever limits on spells?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Did anyone know if there is an ability to uncap those per level/ per day/ per mile whatever limits on spells?
    I recall the fear Reserves of Strength does this through its horrible wording.

I don't remember if someone mentioned it, but here goes:

Warblade is teleported into the Sun. Iron Heart Surge the radiation. IHS whatever is holding the Sun together, and so on.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-10-12 at 12:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

*snip*

Come to think of it, this is basically the problem that governs certain choices in the Dyson sphere ideas — specifically, the decision to use solar wind/light pressure to support the structure, rather than orbiting as such. Which you could do, except that Earth-like planets don't radiate much at all.
    So make a Wall of Stone Dyson Sphere with a radius less than the planet's orbit radius?

And the IHS trick is easier with a Drow/Orc Warblade (light sensitivity).
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Relics & Rituals has a spell called Eclipse. This spell effects the whole world and is a level 9 spell.

The book is setting specific to Scarred Lands though.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Battleship789 View Post
    So make a Wall of Stone Dyson Sphere with a radius less than the planet's orbit radius?
    That would be effective, but even more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bwaa View Post
    HOWEVER, on the subject of the wall of stone shell: It's looking like that would be pretty hard to put together, but why do you actually need it in geosynchronous orbit, or as a solid shell, for that matter? Surely we could do the same thing by Disintegrating some walls of stone or other created blocks of mass moving at orbital speeds around the planet--a dust cloud ought to be just as effective as a molecules-thick wall of stone, and much easier to keep in orbit.
    In the short term, it'd stay in orbit better, but over a span of years it would tend to thin out (due largely to upper-atmospheric drag), so you'd need to refresh it once in a while.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't imagine how many catgirls we've killed in this thread so far, with so many more to come.

That said, let me kill some more. The dust from disintegrated walls of stone in orbit would eventually coalesce into rings.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
    Relics & Rituals has a spell called Eclipse. This spell effects the whole world and is a level 9 spell.

The book is setting specific to Scarred Lands though.
    I'm not familiar with that supplement. Is it 3rd party?
    Edit: found it. Not just 3rd party but technically not even dungeons and dragons. It's a sword and sorcery supplement.

RE; the complexity of my wall of stone shell:

Yeah, it's a project for an organization rather than something an individual could do, but we're getting pretty close to exhausting the non-epic options for a single caster.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-12 at 05:53 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not familiar with that supplement. Is it 3rd party?
    Edit: found it. Not just 3rd party but technically not even dungeons and dragons. It's a sword and sorcery supplement.

RE; the complexity of my wall of stone shell:

Yeah, it's a project for an organization rather than something an individual could do, but we're getting pretty close to exhausting the non-epic options for a single caster.
    Sans looping, of course (and Sand Giant shenanigans to get Epic Spellcasting at <20th level). I think the silent image idea has probably been the coolest (too bad it doesn't work.)
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    The dust from disintegrated walls of stone in orbit would eventually coalesce into rings.
    This is freaking awesome. If we decide to keep the Sun, I vote for putting dust-rings on it, sort of like Jupiter or this.

Why stop with the Sun? Why not customize the whole universe generally look awesome? If you can re-arrange star positions, we could get some seriously awesome constellations out of that... and screw with stargazers at the same time. Granted, it would take millions of years for the light to get to Earth, but it'd be totally worth it.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-10-12 at 08:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Just sculpt the moon into a skull.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

For what its worth, I think that nearly anything requiring an organization to do is far more likely to fly at an actual table than anything involving a single pre-epic caster. It 'feels' more like a real effort and a project of a size worthy of making such a huge alteration. Of course if the plot came from the DM's side of the table, there are good odds it'd be a MacGuffin artifact and a BBEG who wants it in order to single-handedly wipe out the sun (whereas the organization would be a much bigger challenge to stop, especially if everyone already had the instructions and the materials and it was just a matter of time).

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

I say if you're going to make it a dust cloud, don't make it out of stone dust. Make it out of iron filings. Earth has a magnetic field. If Alan Dean Foster was right, this means you wouldn't get rings, you'd get wings!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I know it was discussed and likely rejected on the first page, but opening a gate in the middle of the sun would do it, and you can take out a plane of your preference in the process! The intense gravity of the sun would cause an immense amount of super-dense material to flow through the gate for its short duration, and while it won't be enough to wink out the sun, it will probably be more than enough to reduce the sun's mass by enough to trigger a supernova.
    For those confused, the sun's huge mass is keeping its own explosive force from doing just that, exploding. If you can take out enough of its mass, especially from its superdense core, you'll reduce its gravity enough that it will just simply explode as its explosive force becomes greater than its implosive force.

Now the question becomes not how to destroy the sun, but rather do you want the earth intact, and if you do, how do you plan on going about protecting it from a supernova.

The other option is to go the opposite way and produce enough material to have the sun collapse into a black hole. That one would take a lot more time though. Of course.... once you've got the sun collapsed into a black hole........... its then easy enough to engulf it in a sphere of annihilation. Need to do that before tidal forces rip apart the planet though.
    Last edited by Crake; 2012-10-13 at 11:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I say if you're going to make it a dust cloud, don't make it out of stone dust. Make it out of iron filings. Earth has a magnetic field. If Alan Dean Foster was right, this means you wouldn't get rings, you'd get wings!
    Bonus points if you hit them with a permanent Gitterdust first.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I know it was discussed and likely rejected on the first page, but opening a gate in the middle of the sun would do it, and you can take out a plane of your preference in the process! The intense gravity of the sun would cause an immense amount of super-dense material to flow through the gate for its short duration, and while it won't be enough to wink out the sun, it will probably be more than enough to reduce the sun's mass by enough to trigger a supernova.
    For those confused, the sun's huge mass is keeping its own explosive force from doing just that, exploding. If you can take out enough of its mass, especially from its superdense core, you'll reduce its gravity enough that it will just simply explode as its explosive force becomes greater than its implosive force.
    This is... no. The sun is not massive enough to ever supernova. Instead, when it exhausts its hydrogen, it will become a red giant. (This is true for nearly all stars of the rough mass category our sun is in, from 0.23 solar masses to perhaps 10.) If you reduced its mass by enough, it would simply shrink into a white dwarf. (I doubt you could reduce its mass significantly, according to the earlier calculations, so all you'd accomplish is destroying stuff on the target plane.)

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

This is... no. The sun is not massive enough to ever supernova. Instead, when it exhausts its hydrogen, it will become a red giant. (This is true for nearly all stars of the rough mass category our sun is in, from 0.23 solar masses to perhaps 10.) If you reduced its mass by enough, it would simply shrink into a white dwarf. (I doubt you could reduce its mass significantly, according to the earlier calculations, so all you'd accomplish is destroying stuff on the target plane.)
    That's certainly true if it were to run its natural course, but you could theoretically get any sun to supernova if you were to reduce its core mass enough in a short enough amount of time.