New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Almost surely yes. Tram wanted to evacuate the atrium precisely for that reason.
    But probably the tower spells' defences, won't work.

I think so. We see her now apparently croaked, for the thrill, but her death will be the end of the fight. And it's not the first time, she survives a fall...
    1. Tower defences are anti-air only as far as I know.
    2. Both Wanda and Jack have healing scrolls on them, so if Jack survived, he will be able to fix Wanda (she did not croak - her eyes didn't change to X ).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    2. Both Wanda and Jack have healing scrolls on them, so if Jack survived, he will be able to fix Wanda
    Indeed. We know that eventually, you can only be injured by a fall. Or incapacitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    ???????
    i havent seen anything like that. last time i saw wanda was in that story portion were she was talking to the illusionist guy about Faq and riddles
    wut?
    Did you check the last update? The part when Wanda croaks her own dwagon and falls badly on the ground?
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-12-15 at 08:27 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Hmm, I see a nasty bruise but nothing that looks like a game-like death indicator, so I think Wanda is incapacitated but not croaked. Plus, I don't think Parson has a workable fallback option after this and it seems too soon in the story to have Parson fail. He needs to prove his status as a top quality commander to the rest of the world if they're going to ramp up the conflict and bring Parson's gaming buddies in on other sides (ISTR the authors mentioned plans to do that a while back), and if he fails here he'll end up as a failed boogey-man that only Charlie is really worried about.

If appearances during the fall are any indication of the mechanical result, it looks like Jack is going to be well cushioned by his mount so he should be in good shape to whip out one of the Healomancy scrolls and get this attack back in shape.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    What advantage does Parson get from providing food to his forces in the middle of a fight, though? I'd wager the whole point here is the Decrypting part, but if so, what advantage does a Decrypted dwagon have over the original? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that Decrypting somehow resets a unit's turn so it can move and attack again, but I don't recall that being foreshadowed at any point.
    It's possible that Wanda's Decryption can cross hexes. Personally that's what i think they're doing: killing some of the dwagons for harvesting, which allows the hobgobwins on their backs to fall to the ground, possibly surviving. Then Wanda decrypts the dwagons and, since they're on the ground and out of the airspace zone, they can attack the city itself.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

The hobgobwins don't harvest, they've been promoted to heavy so they just fall.

It's the non-hobgobwin riders that have to harvest their mounts, as shown by Jack, Wanda, and the redhead warlord killing their mounts in one hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Indeed. We know that eventually, you can only be injured by a fall. Or incapacitated.

In that very link, it mentiones that a unit can be croaked upon impact from even a 3 ft fall.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-12-15 at 02:30 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

wut?
    Did you check the last update? The part when Wanda croaks her own dwagon and falls badly on the ground?
    nope.avi

thats the latest one i can see
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

go to main page has new one

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post

In that very link, it mentiones that a unit can be croaked upon impact from even a 3 ft fall.
    Yes, in the context that the damage from a fall is determined randomly. Height plays a factor in calculating that damage, but it isn't the only factor. In Erfworld, a three-foot fall could kill you and you could walk away practically unscathed from a two-mile drop.

You know, I didn't understand Parson's "Let's do lunch" joke before, but I finally got it just now.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-12-16 at 03:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post

stupid grammar mistakes... I wrote "can only", while I should have writing "could only". I also wrote "eventually", but clearly wasn't sufficient.
    My intenction was to point out that death for falling down, is not certain, 'cause there are two other options (injury or incapacitation)
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-12-16 at 03:12 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

11. - Top - End - #41

stupid grammar mistakes... I wrote "can only", while I should have writing "could only". I also wrote "eventually", but clearly wasn't sufficient.
    Maybe eventually doesn't mean what you think it means? "Eventually" has a meaning very different in English from its Italian cognate "eventualmente". Eventually is something that will end up happening (somewhat like "finalmente"), not something that merely is a possibility.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Maybe eventually doesn't mean what you think it means? "Eventually" has a meaning very different in English from its Italian cognate "eventualmente". Eventually is something that will end up happening (somewhat like "finalmente"), not something that merely is a possibility.
    ...and this explains a lot. Instead of being clearer, I shoot myself in the foot.
    Horray for another thing that improves my language!
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-12-16 at 06:09 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Y'know, I think, counterintuitively, the text updates are actually slowing the apparent pacing. And I don't mean in the, "zomg, they're wasting time on text updates when they could be making real updates instead!' sense... I'm aware of the division of labor between artist and writer.

Rather, look at these last few updates... Where, without the text updates, we'd have an update, and then a week, week and a half of cliffhanger while we try to figure out what Parson's plan is and what's going to happen from the hints the comic provides, before the next update breaks the suspense, we're instead getting an update, and then three or four days of cliffhanger before we get a text update that has (by design) little to nothing for actually new events in it, but contains enough information to completely spoil the next comic update, so, a week later when the actual comic update finally rolls around, it has nothing new or unexpected in it either. End result, it feels like nothing is happening, even though events are actually moving along at a pretty good clip now.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Y'know, I think, counterintuitively, the text updates are actually slowing the apparent pacing. And I don't mean in the, "zomg, they're wasting time on text updates when they could be making real updates instead!' sense... I'm aware of the division of labor between artist and writer.

Rather, look at these last few updates... Where, without the text updates, we'd have an update, and then a week, week and a half of cliffhanger while we try to figure out what Parson's plan is and what's going to happen from the hints the comic provides, before the next update breaks the suspense, we're instead getting an update, and then three or four days of cliffhanger before we get a text update that has (by design) little to nothing for actually new events in it, but contains enough information to completely spoil the next comic update, so, a week later when the actual comic update finally rolls around, it has nothing new or unexpected in it either. End result, it feels like nothing is happening, even though events are actually moving along at a pretty good clip now.
    Well, here we aren't on Erfworld's forum, so I guess I CAN complain about the update rythm. It's really killing me!
    I like the webcomic very much (I don't follow many of them). I understand the authors had personal issues.
    But I can't avoid comparing with Girlgenius (whose authors, not casually, are professionals who "later" became webcomics authors), which unerringly updates thrice per week, even when the colorist has an heart attack!
    I'm really going towards erasing erfworld from my links for an year or so. So when I come back at least I'll have some 30 pages + text updates to read in a row.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    Well, here we aren't on Erfworld's forum, so I guess I CAN complain about the update rythm. It's really killing me!
    I like the webcomic very much (I don't follow many of them). I understand the authors had personal issues.
    But I can't avoid comparing with Girlgenius (whose authors, not casually, are professionals who "later" became webcomics authors), which unerringly updates thrice per week, even when the colorist has an heart attack!
    I'm really going towards erasing erfworld from my links for an year or so. So when I come back at least I'll have some 30 pages + text updates to read in a row.
    Try comparing it to schlock mercenary. Now that's dedication.

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Or Gunnerkrigg Court, which has a large buffer of comics that take at least 4 hours to make each. The author makes an average of 3 every week and works a full time job.

Or MSPA, which I've seen update 12 times in one day with original artwork and a hilarious conversation almost every time (though admittedly it's usually less and with some copypasta).

I actually don't mind Erfworld's slow update schedule though. I'm patient when it comes to webcomics.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-12-18 at 03:04 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

17. - Top - End - #47

... You guys do remember which webcomic's forums we're on right?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cestrian View Post
    Careful now...

19. - Top - End - #49

Hey, I have no problem with getting webcomics at any pace. It's just if you're complaining that Erfworld is so slow when compared to other comics, it's a bit ironic to do it on a forum hosted by a webcomic author who isn't much noticeably faster.

Clearly, as we're all still here and all still fans, we do understand that a breakneck pace of comic production isn't always possible and that doesn't always mean you stop reading. So picking out Erfworld as being so much slower than other webcomics is odd, here of all places.

That's all I'm saying.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cestrian View Post
    ...and you remember one of the basic forum rules?

I don't:
    There is a difference between the OOtS updates and erfworld updates. The updates here are more self-contained, because the focus is more on the strip and a little less on the plot. Of course every update of OotS makes you hungry for more and you can't wait for the next one, but every update gives you a feeling of conclusion after reading. Erfworld updates increase anticipation for the next one, and waiting too long for the next one, and that too often, overstretch the tension (at least for me). I meanwhile deleted Erfworld from my link list and wait for news in facebook. And I agree with John Campell, I believe the text updates diminish the effect of the comic. In book 1 we only had the strip, and we had to interpret every panel to know what exactly is going on. That made the comic feel very "intense" and packed. The text updates take some pressure from the comic updates, and I feel that's not always good. Some expand the world and give character insight, like the one about Wrigley's last stand, Ben the Moneymancer or the one with the hobgowbin, but some like those with Haggar and the archon or Stanley's story I'd rather seen in comic. They would have given us endless material to speculate about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    In book 1 we only had the strip, and we had to interpret every panel to know what exactly is going on.
    Er, no we didn't--they actually started doing the Parson's Klogs text updates in Erfworld book 1 when they realised they couldn't meet their original update deadlines, and the idea seems to have moved over to book 2. The implication is that the slow updates aren't a writing issue, but an art issue--takes a long time to draw all this stuff, apparently.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Er, no we didn't--they actually started doing the Parson's Klogs text updates in Erfworld book 1 when they realised they couldn't meet their original update deadlines, and the idea seems to have moved over to book 2. The implication is that the slow updates aren't a writing issue, but an art issue--takes a long time to draw all this stuff, apparently.
    Well, that's true. And I'm not really against text updates per se, I just have a problem with those who affect the story directly. The klogs mostly only explained rules and gave us some thoughts of Parson. And I doubt that the current slow updates result from the art; in the first weeks of book 1 Xin could keep up a 5 day schedule, although it exhausted her. From that I think a 7-10 day schedule should be possible. But we are now at 14 days, nearly three times what Xin initially needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    The text updates take some pressure from the comic updates, and I feel that's not always good.
    To be fair, It was said that the text updates, were made to give us something to read between one comic and another, otherwise the wait would have been too much long.
    Of course they take some pressure from the comic updates, but the ratio is not 1:1.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

The problem with this is that instead of waiting too long between two comics, now you wait too long between one comic and one text update.
    I mean, we're still, today, at page 49, posted on the 14th. Before that, there was a klog on the 8th.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Text update!

we have a huge conspiracy, here...
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-12-24 at 12:49 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That, and/or the Magic Kingdom is filled with Parson fangirls. Because the entire world is enchanted with a man who plays with the rules instead of by them.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Kinda smacks of "The Chosen One" of prophesy. Tread lightly. Although this isn't necessarily bad.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    That, and/or the Magic Kingdom is filled with Parson fangirls. Because the entire world is enchanted with a man who plays with the rules instead of by them.
    Well, it really appears that Predictamancers (and Hippiemancers) were scheming to subvert Erforld's order since long time... Parson is only the "tool" best suited for the task.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well.

That certainly was something of a curveball.

And perhaps the curviest bit is that Wanda knows about this conspiracy. If we want to call it that.

Another interesting wrinkle is that for all of the serene confidence that Janis projects outwardly, she really is troubled by all of this. Might be interesting to see if that confidence is tested once the arrow is released.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-12-24 at 02:15 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #60
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Kinda smacks of "The Chosen One" of prophesy. Tread lightly. Although this isn't necessarily bad.
    Feels more like a subversion of 'The Chosen One' prophecy shtick, actually. This is a conspiracy of people who effectively wrote a prophecy, then manipulated events to ensure that the prophecy they created happened the way they wanted it to. Parson may be a loose warhead of sorts, out of direct control, but they're still trying to pull his strings enough so that he fulfills 'their' plan.