New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Worst thing you've ever read

Hello folks, pretty simple but odd request. I have a love of watching really terrible movies and poking fun at them. I'm curious if the same can be done with books, and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendation for terrible pieces of literature.

Now when I thought about this, really one series came into mind for me: Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule series in which the protagonist are almost impossibly stupid, probably evil, and they face such horrible things like the dreaded "chicken that is not a chicken." All taken deadly seriously.

So I was wondering if there were any books you know of or read that were so bad they hurt your brain or made you burst out laughing, unintentionally. For board purposes let's keep these fictional and none-political or religious please.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Worst thing you've ever read

Well I didn't read very much of it but in a bookstore I read the first page or so of the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood book and burst out laughing. Excluding fanfic I think it was the worst written thing I've read, but I tend to avoid romances and other typically crappy written genres as a whole, so I'm not too good of a judge.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

3. - Top - End - #3

Google the Eye of Argon. It's amazing in its terribleness
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The worst book I ever bought is Celestine Propechy, a new age self-help book disguised as an adventure novel. In hindsight, it might not actually be that bad, if you're into those. But there's two things that made me really hate it. One, the premise sounds cool, and I've been pumped for the adventure, only to find it actually be new agey self help book in the line of... you know, Secret and such? Second, the translation is so... not bad but... flat. Every single character sounds the same, and pout the same mumbo jumbo in the same way, all through the book. I'm just assuming that in the original, they'll at least speak in different tones or something.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Seriously, I have to second this. By the time I was done with the first paragraph, I was going, "This is utter dreck." By the time I had finished the first two lines of dialogue, I was ready to tear my eyes out.

By the time I finished the first fight scene, I nearly lost all faith in humanity and had to watch three straight episodes of My Little Pony to even begin the long, long road to recovery. I'm still haunted by the memories... *fetal position*

I... might be exaggerating just a bit, but it really is that bad. Spelling errors, purple prose so thick it's basically Tyrian, the worst use of in medias res I've ever seen, and everything about it manages to be both impenetrably dense and yet completely lacking substance. Go get some hard liquor and take a look.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The Unsuspecting Mage. Seriously, it's horrible!

It was a "Free eBook" on some webpage, so I downloaded it for my phone (I have the Kindle App) I couldn't get past the first chapter it was so bad.

Then I went to look at the reviews. They were either One Stars, or Five Stars. It became obvious that almost ALL the Five Star reviews were written by the Author Himself, since they all had the same stilted writing style... He also tried to rebut the negative reviews. Some of the Five Stars might have been written by his wife or kids, but outside of a very small, and possibly easily impressed or possibly reviewers that were being held hostage, nobody liked the story.

It was like watching a train wreck. Horrible, but so hard to turn away from.

There were some notes a few months ago saying the book has been revised and rereleased, but I don't know.
    Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc; 2012-05-07 at 09:44 PM.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

it's hard to find a really bad book that's still legible.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Seriously, I have to second this. By the time I was done with the first paragraph, I was going, "This is utter dreck." By the time I had finished the first two lines of dialogue, I was ready to tear my eyes out.

By the time I finished the first fight scene, I nearly lost all faith in humanity and had to watch three straight episodes of My Little Pony to even begin the long, long road to recovery. I'm still haunted by the memories... *fetal position*

I... might be exaggerating just a bit, but it really is that bad. Spelling errors, purple prose so thick it's basically Tyrian, the worst use of in medias res I've ever seen, and everything about it manages to be both impenetrably dense and yet completely lacking substance. Go get some hard liquor and take a look.
    your right.

that is the least understandable thing I ever read.

easily forgettable then. if I can't understand it, might as well not remember it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm assuming fanfic doesn't count?

To get the obvious choice out of the way: I thought Twilight was incredibly poorly done on a variety of levels (characters, dialogue, vocabulary, etc.). But it was at least coherent.

I read Dr Dale's Zombie Dictionary recently and it was so so so bad—unfunny dad humor, overly long, and extremely repetitive.

There's one Dan Brown novel about the possibility of alien life existing in the arctic, or something? The climax took place on a sinking/exploding oil rig BUILT OVER A MAELSTROM FILLED WITH VORACIOUS SHARKS. My eyes hadn't rolled that much since my last demonic possession.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A friend of mine lent me two, both qualify for "Worst thing I have ever read".

The first was a slim paperback called "A Woman in Space". Think Mills and Boon (including the cover...) meets Sci Fi...

...Almost...

...Actually, not at all. The "science" - such that it was - was awful and inconsistent. The writing was... bad. The characterisation was worse - and horribly sexist to boot. Then, about two-thirds of the way through the story we hit the sex scenes, at which point the level of writing hit juvenile.

Then there was "Quinton". His mother picked this up from a hotel in Scotland. It was self-published by the author (who was a member of the family who ran the hotel, so she even got a signed copy).

The artwork on the cover gave an impression of the delights to come. Dominating the cover was the front view of the hero (I assume ) mounting his steed. At least, I hope he was riding his steed, but the expression on his steed's face made that... questionable. To the top left was a tabeau of a virgin sacrifice, which hinted at at least something interesting happening in the story.

Undaunted, I ploughed in. And it was a vary hard furrow - two long forewords, in character (as it were), which painted the novel as the first book in a gripping series about the growth of a galactic empire from a simple agricultural planet. At least, I think that was what they were about.

Then, eventually we hit the story. The hier to some small kingdom is kidnapped (but, the text immediately assured us, would return to regain his kingdom). This took about two chapters in which the most interesting characters were the aforesaid mounts. And they only got one paragraph.

After four chapters I gave up. The author was incapable of creating narrative tension, let alone maintaining it. It read like someone who has read "Dune", liked the idea, but lacked the talent.

And the virgin sacrifice? My friend (who somehow managed to complete the book) assures me that even that was completely uninteresting. And didn't even involve a sacrifice.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Goblin

There was one SF book I read as a kid. The cover was promising - it featured scary monster in the forest. What I got was bizarre science fiction with many interesting ideas but narration way to convoluded to follow, plot terrily slow ( I stopped reading halfway through and I don't think it even got into kidnapping of main character's father, promised on the blurb) and some balls-out insane ideas, like "the more people dissagree with each other, the bigger friends they are".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

For terrible writing, any romance novel, especially one that involves the supernatural.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Not in English but any Malay book I got for my literature section for school.

So Meniti Kaca, wait that was okay.

Pahlawan Pasir Salak was long and had run off sentences galore.

Papa... (Akhirnya kau tewas jua!) too was dull and long the two ingredients of a horrible book.

Little fact. Nobody read the second two books.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Does fanfic count? Because one time for fun in my freshman dorm about ten of us got together and had one person do a "dramatic reading" of My Immortal. Never have I laughed so hard while simultaneously having so much of me die inside.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I've read some pretty terrible manga (or maybe the translation was just horrible)... Other then that, I think books from Maupassant are awful. Especially "Le Horla". I understand he was basically inventing fantasy and all, but it's a confusing, weirdly written and stilted mess. "Boule de Suif" was also really bad. It's the story of a coach ride from a town to another. Most of the passengers are rich and respected citizens who stupidly forgot to bring food, the other is a fat prostitute (hence the title, but that sort of thing was attractive back then) who has tons of food. So everyone likes her until she has to do something for the good of the group and then they shun her. It's so boring.
    La Venus d'ille, from he same period, suffers from much of the same.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2012-05-08 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have read Wizard's First Rule and I loved the series so I gues YMMV on some books. LIke for me I felt "The DaVinci Code" Was just meh. One page chapters just didn't cut it for me. I understand the appeal but still. I work in a library so I see a Huge amount of books that make me go wtf. For as much hate as it gets "Twilight" isn't a bad read when you realize it is a sappy romance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Good pick and one I have unfortunately already read. Also there's a better version you can find online (through TvTropes is where I got it) that is the full original manuscript. I would link to it, but it has some art that would be inappropriate. Crappy. Yet still inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Does fanfic count? Because one time for fun in my freshman dorm about ten of us got together and had one person do a "dramatic reading" of My Immortal. Never have I laughed so hard while simultaneously having so much of me die inside.
    I would rather stay away from fanfiction, unless you have one that is so terrible it can be compared with My Immortal.

Also, I've read My Immortal, probably the only fanfic I've read that I've actually enjoyed.

Any way thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, and keep them coming.

To Synisster, I know The Wizard's First Rule has a fan following, and I hope you don't feel insulted but I thought after the 2nd book it became terrible. I need to ask though, how did you not laugh yourself silly at the chicken that is not a chicken line? Or when the female girl has her army attack an opposing army in the middle of the night, glowing, and naked, in the middle of winter?

Also thorgrim languages are my Achilles heel. I've tried to learn 5 of them now, and have astoundingly failed at all but English. So I don't think I could really read Boule de Suif

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Anything written by Dan Brown. Seriously, about halfway through the Da Vinci Code, my brain got fed up with the stupid and made me throw the book into the fire. Fortunately, it was free.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, I say that we should try to avoid fics that would end up in TV Tropes Troll Fic pile (or the sort of badly-spelled piles of crap) to focus on the ones with truly bad writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I'll ignore any of the political message, to avoid transgressing the forum rules, but besides that it's full of one dimensional cardboard cut out characters, utterly horrific pop-philosophy (not to mention an unspeakably bad misinterpretation of Nietzsche), and a depiction of rape as good, proper and justified. Ugh.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Then I went to look at the reviews. They were either One Stars, or Five Stars. It became obvious that almost ALL the Five Star reviews were written by the Author Himself, since they all had the same stilted writing style... He also tried to rebut the negative reviews. Some of the Five Stars might have been written by his wife or kids, but outside of a very small, and possibly easily impressed or possibly reviewers that were being held hostage, nobody liked the story.
    Number of reviews for each number of stars on Amazon.com:
    5 stars: 38
    4 stars: 27
    3 stars: 19
    2 stars: 30
    1 star: 49

Only about half of the reviews are 1 star or 5 stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    I'm assuming fanfic doesn't count?

To get the obvious choice out of the way: I thought Twilight was incredibly poorly done on a variety of levels (characters, dialogue, vocabulary, etc.). But it was at least coherent.
    If Twilight is the worst thing someone's read, I'm guessing they've only read really good stuff. To this day I don't understand why people care about Twilight one way or the other...it's one of the most astoundingly mediocre things I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I don't know why it'd make you die inside, My Immortal is hilarious (though I do think it kind of got too incoherent towards the end). It's not quite as good as Light and Dark: The Adventures of Dark Yagami, but it's still pretty entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    For terrible writing, any romance novel, especially one that involves the supernatural.
    I disagree.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Probably the worst thing I've forced myself to read was a sci-fantasy novel I'd borrowed, out of the library, I think, one holiday, based on the blurn at the back. About some girl, finding a dragon (which were some sort of robot ships or something), and going to some magical academt or something (I forget). It was utterly dreadful, and the only reason I forced myself through it was because I was on holiday and didn't have much other reading material. I don't remember much, only that it got a bit strange and that there was quite a lot of slightly creepy (well, to me anyway) sexual stuff. The one odd thing I remember, because it just struck as so wierd, was something about a dragonfly/insectoid girl stripping off at one point (because it was like the fantasy equivilent of American college and spring break or something) and it mentioning she had giant nipples. To which I thought... "The Frag." It was that sort of book.

I suspect I remember so little because I've consciously rejected the memory of it...

And why I tend not to read sci-fantasy anymore (as that was the worst of the samples I have encountered, but almost always the sci-fantasy books I read were pretty much drivel.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The worst book I've ever read is probably "the demon king", the author seemed to from time to time forget things such as grievous injuries that had happened to the characters, a good example is the evil king guy character; at one point he gets stabbed(with an overly long description lasting about 1-2 pages, and that's just the description of him being stabbed, not the description of the knife fight) and one chapter later(1-2 pages after) he gets up after being very clearly dead and shouts for the guards to catch the main character(which is somewhat redundant, as he was described as being basically a mary sue wizard who could kill someone very easily with magic), soon after that he randomly finds out whop the main character's mother and younger sister are and proceeds to torch their house and slowly burn them to death(at which point i nearly through the book into a pond, and I don't mean that sarcastically) then the hero....fails to do anything about the burning house, soon after he decides to go back to the ruins of his house for some reason(after having spontaneously been unconscious for three weeks) and what follows that is a chapter consisting of the most disgusting descriptions I've ever read, then he starts riffling through the burnt corpses of his mother and younger sister to take a possession of each of theirs to remember them by, then he spontaneously decides he needs to become a wizard, then the book ends. The biggest problem with the book is that most other authors would have just summed up it's plot in a page or two long prologue(and it could very easily have fit into a 1-2 page prologue), in addition, the book as full to the brim with over used clichés.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

A Traitor in the Mist. Also known as: the book I wrote when I was nine, and was in talks to get published for a brief period of time (I'm retty sure this was because this was because the publishing people finally read the book and saw just how crappy it was).
    I posted some of the worst lines in Random Banter a couple weeks ago.

Aside from that, when I was in the fourth grade; eons ago, my teacher used to read books to the class. The first Harry Potter, Where the Red Fern Grows, etc. Anyway, there was this book called the Babysitting Wars or something like that. She read it for a grand total of a week and a half when she realized every student in the class hated it.
    The book was written for young (8-12) girls and was about a babysitter whose clints were stolen by a rival babysitter, but then (from what I remember from the back of the book) "They decide to work out their differences and become best friends).
    The thing is, even the girls in the class hated it. As I recall, a few students took the time to "rest their eyes" (read as: nap), a few were absent-mindingly looking at their desks at the various spots, and a few were reading their own books under their table.
    I spent a large portion of the time coming up with an over-complicated scheme the heroine of the tale could have used to gain the clients back, humiliate her rival, and come out on top with even more work.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-05-08 at 08:15 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    If Twilight is the worst thing someone's read, I'm guessing they've only read really good stuff. To this day I don't understand why people care about Twilight one way or the other...it's one of the most astoundingly mediocre things I've ever seen.
    It's just so bland. At least most bad writing has the decency of at least being comedic. Twilight just... is.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-05-08 at 08:16 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Return of the Native. I am a voracious reader typically able to go through a 400 page book in around a day and enjoy a variety of genres; this is the only novel I was literally unable to force myself to finish. I believe it is the worst thing to have ever been put into writing in the English language, and I suspect that the only thing preventing it from being weaponized is the Hague Conventions.
    My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world. - George Bernard Shaw

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    It's just so bland. At least most bad writing has the decency of at least being comedic. Twilight just... is.
    Well yeah, which is exactly what makes it not bad. It's just a slightly below average book that deserves neither praise nor scorn. All Twilight deserves, in my mind, is a great big "meh."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I'd say the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I'll ignore any of the political message, to avoid transgressing the forum rules, but besides that it's full of one dimensional cardboard cut out characters, utterly horrific pop-philosophy (not to mention an unspeakably bad misinterpretation of Nietzsche), and a depiction of rape as good, proper and justified. Ugh.
    Maybe Atlas Shrugged too, but I just read that because I liked watching the world unravel. It's oddly satisfying.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

29. - Top - End - #29

GnomeWizardGuy

The Beasts of Valhalla by George C. Chesbro. I've read bad, I've read boring, I've read terrible pulp romantic drek, and I still give it to this book hands-down. The entire book reads like a bad Dan Brown novel, although it makes Dan Brown look like a well-researched genius. I've even read titles like The Historian, and while that one isn't very good, its problems lie primarily on being a slow-paced suspense that simply draws things out too long.

The Beasts of Valhalla, however, is just poorly written. It tries to pass itself off as psudo-scientific, but absolutely everything in the book stands out as ridiculous. Little to no characterization, and poorly awkward dialogue (from what I remember). And to top the whole thing off, what buildup the book did manage to build up was complete tossed out with the reasoning that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hypothermia reverses genetic mutations. No, really.

You should be thanking me for digging through my closet to even look up the title of the book again; I've tried my best to forget as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I would rather stay away from fanfiction, unless you have one that is so terrible it can be compared with My Immortal.
    My Inner Life, a dramatic reading (Author's Notes, part one)
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

The only thing that comes to mind is a work of another student in a creative writing class. I can't really go into the details of the work because it was very graphic, but let's just say it was X-Men meets one of the films the Cinema Snob reviews.