New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 136 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051525354557095 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Do we actually know that, though? From what I understand we didn't have a hard number on SoD, just our speculation.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Spif: I had read "any of the prequel books.' Will fix.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Do we actually know that, though? From what I understand we didn't have a hard number on SoD, just our speculation.
    We have no hard number, yes, but we can do the math.

The other "skinny book," as the Giant calls them, OtOoPCs, cost about $20,000 over WaXPs.

The most expensive book was DStP, which cost around $80,000 over NCftPB.

We're currently close to $40,000 over what we needed for DStP. Can SoD really cost half of what it costs to print a full-color book more than three times its size? It will cost more than OtOoPCs, undoubtedly, as it has the color section in the middle, but I think the odds are very high that we've already hit that mark.

We don't empirically "KNOW," but if I were the gambling type, I think it would be a very safe bet (although not one that would net me a lot of money).

EDIT: Also, what level do you guys think we'd have to reach for the Giant to simply ask us, "Okay, please don't donate any more money."
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-01-31 at 07:03 PM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Well, not an outright statement, if we had a statement we wouldn't be off the chart right now, but it took 20,500 for the reprint of OotPCS, and right now we're 38,500 dollars over the latest goal, and he said that after that one we'd be doing OotPCS. so I'm pretty sure we've broken that goal too by now.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1325

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    We have no hard number, yes, but we can do the math.

The other "skinny book," as the Giant calls them, OtOoPCs, cost about $20,000 over WaXPs.

The most expensive book was DStP, which cost around $80,000 over NCftPB.

We're currently close to $40,000 over what we needed for DStP. Can SoD really cost half of what it costs to print a full-color book more than three times its size? It will cost more than OtOoPCs, undoubtedly, as it has the color section in the middle, but I think the odds are very high that we've already hit that mark.

We don't empirically "KNOW," but if I were the gambling type, I think it would be a very safe bet (although not one that would net me a lot of money).
    WaXPs actually cost more to reprint that OtOoPCs. There's a post from the Giant kickin' around here somewhere that explains why the cost to reprint WaXPs appears so low, namely that he already had some savings put toward WaXPs...

That makes it the anomaly in the calculations. We really can't use that data, cause we don't know how much Rich had saved.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    WaXPs actually cost more to reprint that OtOoPCs. There's a post from the Giant kickin' around here somewhere that explains why the cost to reprint WaXPs appears so low, namely that he already had some savings put toward WaXPs...

That makes it the anomaly in the calculations. We really can't use that data, cause we don't know how much Rich had saved.
    About $16,000. He said so himself at one point (not sure where though).

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Shouldn't someone edit kickstarter wiki page? We've overtaken the Coffee Joulies by now. And maybe the OoTS page too.
    Wikipedia only does finished Kickstarted drives. There's a couple currently ongoing that are roughly as successful as OoTS's and we're going to have to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post
    About $16,000. He said so himself at one point (not sure where though).
    Right in the update where he told us how much we needed to raise.

8. - Top - End - #1328

Quote Originally Posted by WNxArrakis View Post
    Spif: I had read "any of the prequel books.' Will fix.
    I just happen to be particularly well versed about what levels give you what skinny books because of my particular book situation.

As it happens, I already own Origin of the PCs, Start of Darkness, and nothing else. I jumped on the the (limited, but perpetually not sold out) $68 level, giving me Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails plus War and XPs, and now there isn't a reward level that lets me pick up any more books without giving up one I'm already looking forward to or buying a duplicate of one I already have. Which I'm actually fine with for now- I get the bonus materials and two nice books, I get to help out the pledge, and the rest of the books will be much easier to find in the future.

9. - Top - End - #1329

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post

I know, but I'm not basing anything off of WaXPs. I'm measuring the "cost" of a reprint based off of the amount needed over the amount needed for the previous book. So, for OtOoPCs, the previous book needed to raise $76,450 for a full print run. After we raised that, we started raising for OtOoPCs. We needed to get to $96,950 for that. But $76,450 of that goal wasn't going towards OtOoPCs, it was going towards WaXPs. So the "cost," in pledge terms, of printing OtOoPCs was the difference, or $20,500.

Do you see what I mean, or does my explainationism need to be clearer?
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Dwarf in the Playground

good point:
    Quote Originally Posted by John @ Kickstarter
    I would not be surprised if one of the next target lines is for upgrading the forums website severs (assuming SoD is still good on stock)
    so after SoD reprint (which we've already guaranteed I guess) the next goal might be new servers ^^

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    good point:

so after SoD reprint (which we've already guaranteed I guess) the next goal might be new servers ^^
    Rich has already said this is unlikely to happen, since Servers are not just a one-time expenditure but also an ongoing cost.

Edit: I also might add that as important as they are to forumnites, for the great majority of the readership they are not a desirable goal.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-01-31 at 07:36 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I replied on Kickstarter on same topic:
    well we could raise purchase cost + (let's say) one year worth of running
    and Rich could easily do another kickstarter pledge (say just for bonus pdf) after a year for it . . . and maybe attach some new reprints as well

or as next targets . . . or maybe after everything gets reprinted like this time
    Last edited by Tev; 2012-01-31 at 07:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

i think it'd be more palatable to simply end the reprint drive once all the books are fully funded, and launch a separate drive for servers. that drive should stand or fall on its own merits.
    Last edited by darkelf; 2012-01-31 at 08:12 PM.
    >>< drow ><<

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Dwarf in the Playground

4,738 Backers
    $323,451
    560% Funded

I think Rich is updating once in the morning and then avoiding the kickstarter website all day so it doesn't consume all his time: making graphs, coming up with more incentives, etc. It's a good plan if he hopes to remain sane, I think. :)

15. - Top - End - #1335

Quick question; I want to pay the $139 to get the first 4 actual books (not prequels) along with the PDF's, etc.

But my concern is that Rich will release something else I may want instead. I mean this thing has a month left!!!

But I also don't want it to become sold out because I don't have the 4 books and this may be my only chance since they never get reprinted =x.

I know he isn't going to add an option for future books, I saw him post on a thread that he *will not* do that. But I also don't have Start of Darkness or Origin of PCs (the prequels) while I have Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails.

I sorta just wanna check that there won't be a option presented down the line that I'll wish I had held out for ya know?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

16. - Top - End - #1336

Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post
    Quick question; I want to pay the $139 to get the first 4 actual books (not prequels) along with the PDF's, etc.

But my concern is that Rich will release something else I may want instead. I mean this thing has a month left!!!

But I also don't want it to become sold out because I don't have the 4 books and this may be my only chance since they never get reprinted =x.

I know he isn't going to add an option for future books, I saw him post on a thread that he *will not* do that. But I also don't have Start of Darkness or Origin of PCs (the prequels) while I have Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails.

I sorta just wanna check that there won't be a option presented down the line that I'll wish I had held out for ya know?
    You can change the pledge amount or the reward you chose later on, don't worry. It's not like you'll be stuck with t if you don't want it. They don't even charge till the end of the drive.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1337

Just saw that when I read how the kick starter works. I'm hella buying it =D
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

18. - Top - End - #1338

The wife just gave me an updated Avatar to show off our backer number.

Wouldn't it be cool if everyone that participated also got a button?

I wonder how much 5,000 buttons would cost.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Pixie in the Playground

I participated!

20. - Top - End - #1340

Ok, new dumb question. I'm getting the $94 for books 1, 2 and Origin of PCs.
    Then I'm tacking on +$30 for book 3
    +$30 for book 4
    +$16 for Start of Darkness

This fits within the maximum 6 books Rich specifies.

Total comes to $170.

I had selected this option and then increased the price set from $94.00 to $170.00. I'm at the submit page and I just want to make sure I've done this correctly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

That math seems to work to me. Rich will send you a "survey" after Feb. 20 asking which books you want your extra cash to go toward.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serphimera View Post
    I participated!

Those are AWESOME!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For all those who said that they hope that The Giant is making money off this. So do I. As far as I see it, he still gets to sell several thousands of books, and despite the fact that his profit margin isn't that high, it should hopefully turn up a few bucks for him.

That isn't to say, that all this is not a big risk for him. He risks saturating his market for a very long time with all this, even if he does get to fill up the storages for future sellings, he might not have a big market for some time. And since kickstarter takes 5%, what could potentially be a big dent in his profit margins. But atleast we're blowing through the roof of the initial planned bugdet, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, for me, I'm just happy I get to replace NCFPB and WAXP right now. I managed to throw away the former somehow, and I managed to water damage my WAXP.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Win:

Sir Francois and the Dragon (featuring his herald, Elan!) Readers of On the Origin of PCs will know that before Elan traveled with Roy, Haley, and the others, he served as the (un)trusty herald for stalwart knight Sir Francois. When the pair find themselves in a village where young women are sacrificed to the local dragon, they are determined to put an end to the beast's depredations...and with a premise THAT clichéd, something is bound to go horribly, painfully wrong.
    This story will be drawn in greyscale and included with all the other PDF stories for every backer who has pledged at least $10 (regardless of what rewards they chose). That means you get the O-Chul prequel, the three "backer's choice" stories, the Julio Scoundrél tale, the Dim Sun parody, and now the Sir Francois yarn all for a donation of $10 or more. It's a shockingly good value at this point, if I do say so myself, especially when you add in the magnet you're getting with it. Just don't hold me to any delivery date on these late additions; it may be almost summertime before you see the last of these!
    No new incentives today, as Rich is thinking of what to do since all of the book ones are tapped out. Should be some up tomorrow though.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-31 at 09:32 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(This forum doesn't have the smiley I need so I borrowed one)
    The rules of the game are only what the current participants agree they should be, remember this. The rulebook for whatever you play are only suggestions.

Currently playing as the Maya in GMR game #6.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh this is going to be amazing.

Except, wait a moment. "it may be almost summertime before you see the last of these!" The column on the right says that the physical rewards will arrive in April.

When will the physical rewards arrive? I need to know when, because my spring semester in college ends early May.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Oh this is going to be amazing.

Except, wait a moment. "it may be almost summertime before you see the last of these!" The column on the right says that the physical rewards will arrive in April.

When will the physical rewards arrive? I need to know when, because my spring semester in college ends early May.
    He's talking about the PDFs. It's gonna take some time to make seven of them. It's almost certainly gonna be longer than OtOoPCs, for instance when they are all added together.

ETA:::

He also said that means that this is almost certainly gonna be the last PDF Mystery Prize. It's just getting to the point where it will take too long to make:

Quote Originally Posted by From the Update
    As far as new incentives go, give me a day to come up with some new ones. I've pretty much reached the limit of my ability to add new stories to the mix; any more, and it'll end up slowing down the regular strip. So expect whatever gets added next to skew more to the "merchandise" end of the spectrum, rather than another PDF story. I have plenty of ideas, all of them awesome, but not all of them necessarily practical. I'll find out which ones are and put a new purple line somewhere north of $350,000.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-31 at 09:38 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

Sir Francois? Really? Nine helllls yeaahhhh!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

...once again, things are more awesome when Flame says them, because you hear them in gandalf-voice.

I'm still surprised he hasn't added any of ookoodook's copies of the board game into the mix yet.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2012-01-31 at 09:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

30. - Top - End - #1350

This is awesome! Also, I'm probably going to up my pledge just for all the content I'm getting. The Giant could be selling it all as another SSDT for how large it's grown, but instead he's giving it to us for a mere ten dollars. Awesome! So yeah. This drive is ruining my frugal nature too.

Also, I'm dying for the next update. I wanna see what the Belkster has to say about all this.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show