New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Explorers of Acacia - Main thread

Imaran watches the proceedings, pensive. Jorah, with his powers and apparent common sense, would make a good soldier of justice, if he could be convinced. Imaran makes a mental note to remember this, for the future.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post

"Maybe, but I doubt she'll listen to me, or anyone for that matter. Even the chief can get through her thick skull." He pauses for a moment "OK, the chief could get through, but that is with his hammer, not his words." He chuckles at his little joke.

Kel laughs, I tend to have a way with words. I shall see what I can do. If that doesn't work maybe I will ask the chief to help. Though I must confess I don't know exactly who we are talking about. I am not really from this town and had assumed she was the head of the guard. Is she the mayor or some other government figure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Kel laughs, I tend to have a way with words. I shall see what I can do. If that doesn't work maybe I will ask the chief to help. Though I must confess I don't know exactly who we are talking about. I am not really from this town and had assumed she was the head of the guard. Is she the mayor or some other government figure?
    "Ah, 'She' is the mayor. Sorry for the confusion."

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

As Jorah and the guard captain move beyond the magical circle, Lyral notices movement from in the alley. There is no visible figure, but any hunter with any worth knows when his prey goes unseen. Another attacker, or an ally in disguise? No matter.
    "Hello there! Could you reveal yourself for our friends here?"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    As Jorah and the guard captain move beyond the magical circle, Lyral notices movement from in the alley. There is no visible figure, but any hunter with any worth knows when his prey goes unseen. Another attacker, or an ally in disguise? No matter.
    "Hello there! Could you reveal yourself for our friends here?"
    "Is there someone there?" The dwarf looks around wildly.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Wow, you've got pretty good senses!" Tarmikos replies with a laugh. "Did you actually see me coming, or just hear me? Either way, that's still pretty good on your part!"

He pauses, waving the air in front of him, reappearing as he does. "Hey there! I'm surprised you guys are still here. Certainly makes looking for help an easier task." He squints, taking a look around. "We seem to be missing a few people though, companions both fair... and feral...." Tarmikos visibly shivered at the thought of the beast man who was aiding them, and his large companion. "And the man that was captured: where'd he go? I wanted to talk to him... don't tell me he got away!"

He pauses, noticing the dwarf. "I don't remember you from before. Who might you be?"

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    He pauses, noticing the dwarf. "I don't remember you from before. Who might you be?"
    "I'm Digan, captain of the guard in this here city."

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Seeing the appearance of his acquaintance, Jorah speaks to Tarmikos. "Hail, Tarmikos. Digan here has been asking a few questions about Cruorin. Would you like to speak with him for a few minutes? I'm sure you can tell him far more of what went on than I. After all, you did jump onto the roof after him. Oh, and the captive was taken by our flying friend."

Jorah then turns towards... Digan, was it? 'Hm, sounds like Dagoc.' Pushing the random thought from his mind, he whispers to the dwarf, trying not to let Tarmikos hear.

"Tarmikos there has some prior relationship with the murderer, and may be the indirect reason Dagoc was murdered. Feel free to use my Zone of Truth, if you wish. I doubt he would lie to you, though."

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Imaran looks to the recently returned Tarmikos. How went it? Did you capture the law-breakers?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shazek View Post
    "Tarmikos there has some prior relationship with the murderer, and may be the indirect reason Dagoc was murdered. Feel free to use my Zone of Truth, if you wish. I doubt he would lie to you, though."
    He calls out to Tarmikos, "You there! What do you know about whats going on here?"

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, 'She' is the mayor. Sorry for the confusion."
    Kel thinks to himself for a bit then speaks, Is there an election soon? That would explain why she doesn't want anything bad to be exposed close to an election. Still, maybe there is some way to calm her mind. Maybe if we capture Curion, the murderer who killed the barkeep last night, we could frame him for the act of theft. To be honest he and his helpers might have been the ones who have done it anyway. That way she can keep her reputation before the election

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Captain of the Guard, huh?" Tarmikos muses out loud. "Hopefully you're made of a bit more fiber than the members of your guard we encountered earlier. Fleeing from the line of duty when only asked questions... embarrassing." He shakes his head in disgust as he remembers the men from the bar. "I do have a number of things I'd like to ask, but I kinda wanna see where the rest of our group went to. Power in numbers, after all." Tarmikos looks into the sky, thinking about the people he met recently, and remembering his fallen allies. I can't repeat the mistakes that were made last time. Not if I can help it.

Tarmikos is snapped out of his thoughts by Imaran. "I had no intention of trying to capture any of them." He responds to Imaran. "I assumed, and still hope, that we have access to the one that...." Tarmikos taps his forehead, trying to remember. "Kel! That's his name." he exclaims while snapping his fingers. "That we have access to the one that Kel captured. I wanted to follow them and see if I could find a possible hide out. And I -might- have found something, but walking into an ambush certainly isn't wise."

Hearing the dwarf's voice again, Tarmikos focuses on him. "I was hoping you'd be able to answer similarly, considering you should have far more immediate access to information, due to your standing, connections, and length of time working here, than myself. I've only been in this town for a day, looking for a criminal. I suppose I can't say its good fortune that I encountered him today, just after murdering one of the citizens your guard is -supposed- to be responsible for."

Catching his fury, the adventurer closes his eyes and focuses his breathing. As he meditates, he retrieves his long sword, and practices his form. I can't blame anyone but myself for any of this. Lashing out at those who can help only condemns me even further. I have to do what's right, to the best of my abilities. As he finishes calming himself down, he throws the blade into the air, and catches the weapon in its scabbard.

"Pardon me if I am cross. The day is still so young, yet it has already been incredibly taxing. If you don't mind my asking, maybe we can talk while heading back to the scene of the crime? We had a few people there... I think one or two that were members of a local church, that could help us try to put everything together. Hopefully we'll run into some of the people who helped us today, too."

Spoiler
    Show
    444 Words. I talk way too damn much.

Perform (Weapon Drill): (1d20+16)[31]

I'd think that being able to catch a weapon you threw with it's container isn't too much for a perform check that "In time, [you] may draw attention from distant potential patrons, or even from extraplanar beings".

Though admitedly, I'm just showing the heck off. Although practicing your fighting or other such physical hobbies seems like a good way to blow off some steam.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-04-15 at 10:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Kel thinks to himself for a bit then speaks, Is there an election soon? That would explain why she doesn't want anything bad to be exposed close to an election. Still, maybe there is some way to calm her mind. Maybe if we capture Curion, the murderer who killed the barkeep last night, we could frame him for the act of theft. To be honest he and his helpers might have been the ones who have done it anyway. That way she can keep her reputation before the election
    "Yeah, there is an election in just 2 months... Wait! Did you just say Cruorin? As in Cruorin from the Amethyst?" He looks worried.

"Captain of the Guard, huh?" Tarmikos muses out loud. "Hopefully you're made of a bit more fiber than the members of your guard we encountered earlier. Fleeing from the line of duty when only asked questions... embarrassing." He shakes his head in disgust as he remembers the men from the bar. "I do have a number of things I'd like to ask, but I kinda wanna see where the rest of our group went to. Power in numbers, after all." Tarmikos looks into the sky, thinking about the people he met recently, and remembering his fallen allies. I can't repeat the mistakes that were made last time. Not if I can help it.
    "Wait... are you saying that there were guards here? I sent all of them to the scene of the murder..."

Tarmikos is snapped out of his thoughts by Imaran. "I had no intention of trying to capture any of them." He responds to Imaran. "I assumed, and still hope, that we have access to the one that...." Tarmikos taps his forehead, trying to remember. "Kel! That's his name." he exclaims while snapping his fingers. "That we have access to the one that Kel captured. I wanted to follow them and see if I could find a possible hide out. And I -might- have found something, but walking into an ambush certainly isn't wise."
    "You guys managed to capture one of them? Where is this person now!?"

Hearing the dwarf's voice again, Tarmikos focuses on him. "I was hoping you'd be able to answer similarly, considering you should have far more immediate access to information, due to your standing, connections, and length of time working here, than myself. I've only been in this town for a day, looking for a criminal. I suppose I can't say its good fortune that I encountered him today, just after murdering one of the citizens your guard is -supposed- to be responsible for."
    "Given that I am the first guard on this scene, I don't see where I could have gotten information about this battle. I only knew that that was one because one of the fleeing civilians stopped off at the guard station."

Catching his fury, the adventurer closes his eyes and focuses his breathing. As he meditates, he retrieves his long sword, and practices his form. I can't blame anyone but myself for any of this. Lashing out at those who can help only condemns me even further. I have to do what's right, to the best of my abilities. As he finishes calming himself down, he throws the blade into the air, and catches the weapon in its scabbard.
    "Impressive. You seem to know your way around a sword."

"Pardon me if I am cross. The day is still so young, yet it has already been incredibly taxing. If you don't mind my asking, maybe we can talk while heading back to the scene of the crime? We had a few people there... I think one or two that were members of a local church, that could help us try to put everything together. Hopefully we'll run into some of the people who helped us today, too."
    "Very well. Let's go see what they've found." He starts walking there. (I'll assume that the person whose idea it was goes as well, but I never know.)

Spoiler
    Show
    You make it very hard to interject when you post 5 paragraph essays.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait... are you saying that there were guards here? I sent all of them to the scene of the murder..."
    How is it that they arrived so long before you? The fools attempted to kill us even as we fought Cruorin, but fled soon after.

"You guys managed to capture one of them? Where is this person now!?"
    I would like to hear the same thing.

"Very well. Let's go see what they've found." He starts walking there. (I'll assume that the person whose idea it was goes as well, but I never know.)
    Imaran rolls his eyes, but follows -- at least this guard captain seems to be competent, if barely.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    How is it that they arrived so long before you? The fools attempted to kill us even as we fought Cruorin, but fled soon after.
    "That's just it, there shouldn't have been any guards here, as they should have been over at the site of the murder... Wait, I don't think those were guards. We have a bit of a thief problem right now, and they have claimed a number of guard outfits."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Oh good god... not only is there a psychopath running lose in this city, but even the law is having trouble keeping rank and file?" Tarmikos throws his hands into his hair, visibly frustrated. "You've got to be kidding... hopefully the thefts at least haven't been any more than a recent problem."

As he follows Digan, he keeps an eye out for those he remembered that assembled. "I wasn't talking much about the battle. If there were guards there, they certainly didn't put up enough resistance for anyone to make note of them. My thoughts have been buried in the murder at the pub. Hopefully those people weren't fakes, too. Although either way, I'd have preferred someone with a little more back-bone to show up. I'm surprised the Captain of the Guard wouldn't have sent a more ranking member, or maybe stopped by himself."

“As for the person we captured, a member of our group seems to have taken him to who knows where… I was a bit distracted during the time, seeing if I could follow a lead. I’ll gladly pursue it once we’re done at the crime scene, and hopefully by then we’ll have more heroes willing to help along with us. We've got a couple of hours before the magic I used runs out, and I still remember where I tailed one of them.”

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh good god... not only is there a psychopath running lose in this city, but even the law is having trouble keeping rank and file?" Tarmikos throws his hands into his hair, visibly frustrated. "You've got to be kidding... hopefully the thefts at least haven't been any more than a recent problem."

As he follows Digan, he keeps an eye out for those he remembered that assembled. "I wasn't talking much about the battle. If there were guards there, they certainly didn't put up enough resistance for anyone to make note of them. My thoughts have been buried in the murder at the pub. Hopefully those people weren't fakes, too. Although either way, I'd have preferred someone with a little more back-bone to show up. I'm surprised the Captain of the Guard wouldn't have sent a more ranking member, or maybe stopped by himself."

“As for the person we captured, a member of our group seems to have taken him to who knows where… I was a bit distracted during the time, seeing if I could follow a lead. I’ll gladly pursue it once we’re done at the crime scene, and hopefully by then we’ll have more heroes willing to help along with us. We've got a couple of hours before the magic I used runs out, and I still remember where I tailed one of them.”

"These thefts have been going on for the past month. As for the bar, I can tell you that I sent actual guards there, including my second-in-command... Wait, you say you tailed someone from here?! That could be very useful information. After we look at the bar, you'll have to show me where."

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

As the captain begins to explain the context of the situation, Lyral smiles to himself.
    Aaaah, that makes a great deal more sense. Thieves... He follows along silently, keeping pace with Imaran, Tarmikos, and the guard captain. As he takes up the rearmost position, he asks,
    "What tipped you off to the thieves?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-16 at 10:32 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

As the captain begins to explain the context of the situation, Lyral smiles to himself.
    Aaaah, that makes a great deal more sense. Thieves... He follows along silently, keeping pace with Imaran, Tarmikos, and the guard captain. As he takes up the rearmost position, he asks,
    "What tipped you off to the thieves?"
    "The fact that there were less outfits then there should have been."

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

"So one morning, you woke up and saw less outfits hanging in your armory. The first thing to go through your mind was thievery?" He smirks - wit wasn't usually his style, but for cases such as this are a good exception. Besides, he needed something to amuse him, now that his best prospect had fled.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, there is an election in just 2 months... Wait! Did you just say Cruorin? As in Cruorin from the Amethyst?" He looks worried.
    I have not heard of him before. It is very likely it is the same person though. There was one member of the group who looked like a sibling of his and was hunting Cruorin. He didn't want to talk about what Cruorin did before. What exactly did the Cruorin from the Amethyst do?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

"So one morning, you woke up and saw less outfits hanging in your armory. The first thing to go through your mind was thievery?" He smirks - wit wasn't usually his style, but for cases such as this are a good exception. Besides, he needed something to amuse him, now that his best prospect had fled.
    "And what would your first guess have been?"

I have not heard of him before. It is very likely it is the same person though. There was one member of the group who looked like a sibling of his and was hunting Cruorin. He didn't want to talk about what Cruorin did before. What exactly did the Cruorin from the Amethyst do?
    "I... I don't know exactly. I heard he sunk a ship known as the Amethyst, killing a bunch of people."

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

As the others involved in this strange murder investigation depart towards the bar, Jorah heads off into the market. He has realized that he has just the thing for this investigation, magically speaking. That would be Divination. He searches the stalls for some place to purchase incense and a sacrifice, needing them as components for his spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to buy "Incense and a sacrificial offering appropriate to your religion, together worth at least 25 gp" in the market for the Divination spell.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

As the others involved in this strange murder investigation depart towards the bar, Jorah heads off into the market. He has realized that he has just the thing for this investigation, magically speaking. That would be Divination. He searches the stalls for some place to purchase incense and a sacrifice, needing them as components for his spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to buy "Incense and a sacrificial offering appropriate to your religion, together worth at least 25 gp" in the market for the Divination spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The search goes very well. You can buy that here, at the obvious cost of 25gp.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know, foolish recruits who had lost their gear? Maybe some of your guards were pulling a prank. You know your own men better than I: a smart man like you should maybe know better." Lyral's smirk is at full strength, his grey eyes twinkling. It isn't meant as too much of a jab, but he cares not whether Digan takes it as such.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah buys the components from the market, and returns to the inn. There, in the room he purchased the prior day, he calls upon Athena for knowledge about his goal of finding and apprehending Cruorin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Divination at Caster Level 8 as a 4th level Domain Spell through Spontaneous Domains. As per the description, asking about a "goal." 78% chance for success. Come on, dice. (In case "specific magic yielding false information is at work," I'll assume you roll this in secret.)

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know, foolish recruits who had lost their gear? Maybe some of your guards were pulling a prank. You know your own men better than I: a smart man like you should maybe know better." Lyral's smirk is at full strength, his grey eyes twinkling. It isn't meant as too much of a jab, but he cares not whether Digan takes it as such.
    "Ah, I see. But it wasn't just outfits. After noticing that, I took the time to count up everything, and we were missing weapons, armor, other things... We've placed an order for replacements, but it's yet to arrive. This murderer couldn't have chosen a better time to strike."

Jorah buys the components from the market, and returns to the inn. There, in the room he purchased the prior day, he calls upon Athena for knowledge about his goal of finding and apprehending Cruorin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Divination at Caster Level 8 as a 4th level Domain Spell through Spontaneous Domains. As per the description, asking about a "goal." 78% chance for success. Come on, dice. (In case "specific magic yielding false information is at work," I'll assume you roll this in secret.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The one you seek has moved to the north, where a great change will soon occur.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-04-17 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

It could be a coincidence - but I put no stock in chance. Whoever this Cruorin is, there is a good bet that he coordinated his timing, striking when the guards were in a state of disarray. If this is the case, then he must have a way of extracting information from the Cleveport law enforcement - admittedly, not too hard of a feat. Nevertheless, such planning would only give more credit to the dragonkin's cunning. Lyral runs one callused hand through his sandy blonde hair, looking at the flagstone beneath his feet. He pauses, inhaling and exhaling slowly. He needed time to think about current events, and a simple guide job might just alleviate his stress.
    "I need to go now. Best of luck catching your man." With that, he turns abruptly, walking in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-18 at 07:31 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"What? You're leaving now?" Tarmikos turns around, surprised. Only for a moment is he affected, before he calms. "Well, good luck to you, friend. And thanks for the vote of confidence. You take care of yourself. Lyral, right? Hopefully, we'll see each other again safely."

30. - Top - End - #480
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

So you don't think he's still here then Jessyka?
    Well we have been around the entire city and still I have picked nothing up, neither have you...

Indeed,
    Halazas hand runs through Jesskya's mane and rubs the sweet spot on the back of her neck...
    For a moment the two of them mealy enjoy the sun on their faces as they move through the streets...
    Well then what do we do now?

I should probably go back to the stables...
    Halaza frowns and stops rubbing Jesskya's neck...
    Well we cannot break the law forever can we?

Screw their law, they attacked us in the street without warning!
    Come on now, dont be like this...
    Jesskya's mind, calm and collected attempting to sooth Halaza's anger...
    They continue to ride along for a few moments in silence...