New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default My faith is my sword, my armor, my shield

So recently I've become interested in playing a character based on faith. Someone who can preserve in all challenges, last through any difficulty because they believe and never lose hope. The sort of character that can become the moral spine for the party, to lead them and console them through any challenges.

However, I don't necessarily want to make this a divine character - I want their belief to be in something more primal or rudimentary than gods/goddesses. I want the actual power of their raw belief, not power given from an outside source. Because of that, I want to leave Cleric and Paladin as my last choice.

Does anyone know of any classes (official, homebrewed, or otherwise) that fits this concept? I'm open to either a more martial or more caster oriented class. My only requirements is that this class must be tough - after all if you're a bastion of faith then you shouldn't be the first to fall.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: My faith is my sword, my armor, my shield

If you are talking about 3.5 how about Crusader from Tome of Battle. Seems to fit well with your idea.

3. - Top - End - #3

Crusader?

GAH! The Swordsages!!
    Last edited by Hyfigh; 2011-03-12 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Either a crusader, an incarnate, or both. Especially if you go for a Good incarnate.

Alternatively, an ardent might work, but maybe not.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ardent would absolutely work. Their ability to absorb damage, protect allies and punish enemies for their own offense is some of the best in the game. An Elan Ardent with the racial feats and built to tank can withstand an absolutely stupid amount of duress, in part because of their psion-equivalent PP pool and in part because of the good "offensive defense" powers they can snag.

Crusaders provide more offensive allied support in addition to their strong defensive support though. Warblades also get access to the ally support-based White Raven discipline. A Bard is another good example of support but requires lots of different books to get really awesome at melee and support (they don't have to sing to buff by the way; Perform: Oration is the less idiotic Bard for a serious character).

Really any strong melee character can do what you want, though. What you're asking for is almost 100% in how you roleplay it out.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-03-12 at 02:02 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

6. - Top - End - #6

SwashbucklerGuy

NO I'm actually looking for a class that has a basis in "belief" for its power. Of course I can roleplay a fighter who believes and fights for those beliefs but I"m looking for a mechanical representation for a class that draws actual power from its beliefs.

Hmm...Incarnate seems interesting...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

while it is actually a bad option mechanically Vow of Poverty (feat) does replicate the conditions you describe.

maybe you can convince your GM to houserule either an upgrade to the benefits or reduce the poverty part a bit.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    NO I'm actually looking for a class that has a basis in "belief" for its power. Of course I can roleplay a fighter who believes and fights for those beliefs but I"m looking for a mechanical representation for a class that draws actual power from its beliefs.

Incarnate, Crusader, Ardent. Those three all have fluff that ties them strongly to belief. Incarnates gain their power through belief in their Alignment (and some stuff with souls and blue gunk), Crusaders are powered by their devotion to a cause, and Ardents gain psionic power through their devotion to abstract ideals. So it partially comes down to what you want to be devoted to.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Ingredients
    16 oz. crusader
    1/4 lb. knight
    1/2 cup paladin fluff
    1 tbsp. cleric of an ideal fluff

Directions
    Mix crusader and knight in bowl. Sprinkle with paladin and cleric of an ideal fluff.

Chill for 1 hour before serving.

Serves a party of four.[hr]Er... that's my best suggestion.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

10. - Top - End - #10

Maybe a bard? Perhaps even the sub-obtimal divine bard variant? White Raven Crusader Bard? Seeker of the Song?

Edit: Oh, also that weird prestige class in Complete Divine, The Evangelist.
    Last edited by begooler; 2011-03-12 at 02:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to go with homebrew, look up the Believer class. I believe that's modeled after the Alliance official from Serenity.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

That means you need a divine caster. Paladin is the most obvious.

Incarnate, just like crusader, can work, but the mechanics are not faith based (at least the crusader has some faith-based crunch).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Cleric.
    My faith is my sword, my sheild my armour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

He wants the belief itself to be the source of the power and not merely a mechanism for the use of divine power, which comes from elsewhere. He already knows about Clerics and Paladins and wants something else.

Really, check out Ardent from Complete Psionic. It's literally belief- and philosophy-powered and can be made to do whatever you want through its Mantle system, which are like Domains except that they make up the entirety of your power selection.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    He wants the belief itself to be the source of the power and not merely a mechanism for the use of divine power, which comes from elsewhere. He already knows about Clerics and Paladins and wants something else.
    There are Clerics of Ideals, and that equally fits the concept. If they don't want to play a cleric crunchwise, fine, but the fluff fits the idea pretty darn well in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #16

But... Crusader and Ardent do fit thematically. Crusader maneuvers are miraculously "inspirated" into them, while Ardents draw their powers from the study of abstract concepts.

As a bonus, Incarnates are Intelligence-based, while Ardents are Wisdom-based and Crusaders are (sorta) Charisma-based.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    But... Crusader and Ardent do fit thematically. Crusader maneuvers are miraculously "inspirated" into them, while Ardents draw their powers from the study of abstract concepts.

As a bonus, Incarnates are Intelligence-based, while Ardents are Wisdom-based and Crusaders are (sorta) Charisma-based.
    Incarnates are Wis-based.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Incarnates are constitution based. Wisdom is really only used for save DCs which can be easily avoided, hence why many incarnates go con first int second since it helps them fill the skill monkey role.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

There's Soulborn (MoI) and Divine Mind (CPsi) but they're terrible. Really, Ardent is where you want to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You could go soulknife and have the sword be created by belief. There is even a feat to make a shield. Not powerful but fits. Would be even better if you went soulbow.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardent is your best option from where I sit, other than cleric.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

I like the Ardent! Does anyone know homebrewed mantles? I don't quite like some of the choices there, and I want to have a slew of mantles that fit together (Instead of something like Chaos + Force + Life or something) thematically and could compliment each other.

Likewise Incarnates seem really focused on the alignment deal. Not sure if I"m too hot on that
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-03-12 at 09:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Can someone post a link to the dominant ideal ACF?
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Can someone post a link to the dominant ideal ACF?
    Voila: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Incarnates are Wis-based.
    Huh. I have no idea how I came to think that Incarnates/Totemists/Soulborn were Int/Wis/Cha-based. They're all Constitution-based, with Incarnates having a bit of Wisdom MAD for their save DC.

I like the Ardent! Does anyone know homebrewed mantles? I don't quite like some of the choices there, and I want to have a slew of mantles that fit together (Instead of something like Chaos + Force + Life or something) thematically and could compliment each other.
    The Substitute powers variant rule "fixes" the mantles by letting you add and switch granted powers at will until you have ten powers and at least one power for each level. It's in the same article that Thurbane just linked. Metamorphosis ? In my Physical Power mantle ? It's more likely than you think.

By the way, the (rather yummy) Physical Power mantle do fit your character concept quite well. With powers like Vigor or True Metabolism, it has a very Determinator-ey feel. Definitely something to take as a secondary mantle ASAP.

The Good mantle is a no-brainer as a primary mantle. It also lacks a 9th-level power, so if you are allowed to use the Substitute powers rule, do not hesitate to fill in the blank with a powerful, thematically appropriate one. Like the one that lets you heal your entire party, raise the dead, remove otherwise uncurable affictions, and generally set right what once went wrong. If you know what I mean.

The Communication mantle might be relevant for a paragon type, but unfortunately, it's already overcrowded with low-level powers, most of which are rather lame. Oh, well. It's probably better to just ignore the poorly thought-out "equal or lesser level" part of the Substitute power rule, and trade Missive for, say, Fusion.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I would have thought that belief in an ideal (e.g. "Neutral Good" or "Justice for all") empowering your magic, even if it is "clerical" in one sense of the word, was quite like what he was asking for. But the Ardent also sounds like a good choice.

Also, if the belief and faith is in spirit, your willpower and your companions, then make sure you get a pair of these.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2011-03-13 at 04:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Likewise Incarnates seem really focused on the alignment deal. Not sure if I"m too hot on that
    Remember that it's not all alignment-based. A Good character who philosophizes on morality can certainly take the Evil mantle, and someone championing the cause against pure societal chaos can take the Chaos mantle. I know it sounds like building the personality around the mechanics, but really my point is that there are so many ways an ardent could view the study of a mantle that each could actually fit just about any character's personality for one reason or another - Ardent fluff is designed to be mutable and dependent solely on the individual, building the mechanics around the personality you have in mind.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-03-13 at 05:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Divine Champion from Forgotten Realms may be a fit. They're essentially warriors in the service of a god, and they get some special abilities from it. They have similar classes for arcane spell casters and skill monkey's.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If you don't mind re fluffing an existing class a bit i could see a warlock being as you said. Using his blast and invocs as his faith(or powers of his faith)
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narren View Post
    Divine Champion from Forgotten Realms may be a fit. They're essentially warriors in the service of a god, and they get some special abilities from it. They have similar classes for arcane spell casters and skill monkey's.
    Where's the divine champion?

And refluffing the Warlock seems like a funny idea. Blasting people with raw belief