New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Unambigously allowing psicrystals to manifest and focus (3.5 psionics, PEACH)

Reflective Talent [General]
    Your psicrystal has awakened its own psionic abilities.

Prerequisite
    Psicrystal.

Benefit
    The psicrystal gains the psionic subtype and a reserve of 1 power point, as well as the ability to take psionic, metapsionic, and psionic item creation feats, with the exception of the Psicrystal Affinity feat. However, the psicrystal does not gain the ability to manifest any powers through this feat.

Special
    This feat may only be taken by a psicrystal at its first HD.

Note: The purpose is to serve as an unambiguous version of Hidden/Wild Talent for psicrystals specifically.

Reflective Meditation [Psionic]
    Your psicrystal is now able to meditate on your behalf.

Prerequisites
    Psicrystal, Reflective Talent, master possesses Psicrystal Containment feat.

Benefit
    The psicrystal can spend a full-round action attempting to psionically focus itself. Its master may use this focus as their own, but the psicrystal may not focus or expend its master's own inherent focus. A psicrystal may only contain a single psionic focus.

Normal
    The psicrystal is unable to psionically focus itself.

Suggestions from chrisrawr incorporated to hopefully make the wording significantly better.

Reflective Manifestation [Psionic]
    Your psicrystal is now able to manifest powers independently.

Prerequisites
    Psicrystal, Reflective Talent, at least 3 HD.

Benefit
    The psicrystal gains a first-level power known. It can choose any power, including powers from another discipline’s list or even from another class’s list. It also gains a further 2 power points, and its manifester level is considered equal to its HD. Its key ability score is Charisma.

Additionally, its Share Powers ability is expanded to allow powers manifested by the psicrystal to affect its owner, either alone or shared with the psicrystal, under the same restrictions.

Special
    The psicrystal may take Expanded Knowledge to add any power of a level up to one less than the highest its master can manifest.

I decided to somewhat improve this, effectively merging in Expanded Knowledge for the first power known.
    Obviously, the pp progression is still basically non-existent, but that's probably acceptable.

Pretty sure there are flaws in here, so all critiques are welcomed, or at least endured.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-06-21 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Rephrasing focus and manifestation
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Unambigously allowing psicrystals to manifest and focus (3.5 psionics, PEACH)

Reflective Talent can't be improved. Perhaps for RM,

"The Psicrystal may now prodcue its own Focus. Its Master may use this focus as his own, but the Psicrystal may not produce or use the Master's own Focus. A Psicrystal may only contain a single Focus."

Cuts a line of text out, is much less centered around the word focus, and requires much less restrictive wording; just my 2cents.

For Manifestation; ML=HD seems fine to me; with such a limited pool of power points, and such a limited pool of powers, and most importantly, with most of its standard actions being used to maintain focus, I can't see being able to boost a few times a day being much hassle in terms of balance.
    Last edited by chrisrawr; 2012-06-21 at 10:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unambigously allowing psicrystals to manifest and focus (3.5 psionics, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawr View Post
    Reflective Talent can't be improved.
    Er, do you mean it's fine how it is, or it's completely beyond hope?

Perhaps for RM,

"The Psicrystal may now prodcue its own Focus. Its Master may use this focus as his own, but the Psicrystal may not produce or use the Master's own Focus. A Psicrystal may only contain a single Focus."
    Yeah, that seems a lot more sensible, thanks.

For Manifestation; ML=HD seems fine to me; with such a limited pool of power points, and such a limited pool of powers, and most importantly, with most of its standard actions being used to maintain focus, I can't see being able to boost a few times a day being much hassle in terms of balance.
    OK, fair enough; it's true that it's a lot of hoops to jump through to get even a moderate action economy boost.

I'll probably also phrase it such that it can (by using Expanded Knowledge) learn new powers at a level up to one less than its master's highest.

EDIT: changes made.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-06-21 at 11:07 PM.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Er, do you mean it's fine how it is, or it's completely beyond hope?
    I couldn't possibly think of a more efficient or concise wording for it, even if I dedicated an immense amount of time and effort.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawr View Post
    I couldn't possibly think of a more efficient or concise wording for it, even if I dedicated an immense amount of time and effort.
    Ah, good, I hoped that was your meaning.