New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...I was wondering why the name, when the Sherrif didn't seem to have made the tread. Well played.
    Ah, but since it now has Roland's name on it, that surely means he's technically the thread creator, so TvTyrant and Rockphed are still in the running to create the new thread when this one hits 50...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    My rule was ended as swiftly as it appeared

Isn't law considered a hot career? Why are people suggesting against it?
    My dad at least, has to deal with late nights, aggressive / silly clients, people calling for help annoying times, CPS, and other stupid things. Depending on the field, you are basically dealing with people who are probably going through really bad times in their life, and you have to navigate a very complex system for them, competing against others doing the same thing. It can be straining.
    (Though there are some fun moments, and satisfying ones. For instance, in one of my uncle's recent trials, the prosecution's key witness says, under oath, that he is willing to criminally lie for his own benefit, and that he lied to the prosecution while they were enticing him to testify. It was quite exciting.)

—Caerulea
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2019-02-28 at 11:53 PM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    steaks .

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    steaks

Speaking of steaks...

In my copy of Cook's Illustrated Cook it Right MEAT the "Pan-Seared Thick-Cut Steaks" recipe advises cooking the steaks in a 275 degrees Fahrenheit oven, and then searing them in a pan, while my copy of Cook's Illustrated 25 Years of Your Favorite Recipes the "Perfect Cast Iron Steak" recipe advises putting the pan in a 500 degrees Fahrenheit oven, then putting it on a stovetop and cooking the steaks on it (flipping them about every two minutes).

So which do I do?

I don't want my iron collection to only ward off Elves!

Unrelated - from the 4th edition D&D DMG:

"A grim, hulking fighter disembowels the high priest of the serpent god on his own altar. A laughing rogue spends ill-gotten gains on cheap wine in filthy taverns. Hardy adventurers venture into the unexplored jungle in search of the fabled City of Golden Masks.
    A swords-and-sorcery campaign is old-school D&D, a tradition that goes back to the roots of the game. Here you'll find a dark, gritty world of evil sorcerers and decadent cities, where the protagonists are more motivated by greed and self interest than by altruistic virtue. Martial characters tend to be far more common than arcane or divine ones. In such a pulp fantasy setting, those who wield magic often symbolise the decadence and corruption of civilisation."

and, from the Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition DMG:

"A grim, hulking fighter disembowels the high priest of the serpent god on his own altar. A laughing rogue spends ill-gotten gains on cheap wine in filthy taverns. Hardy adventurers venture into the unexplored jungle in search of the fabled City of Golden Masks. A sword-and-sorcery campaign emulates some of the classic works of fantasy fiction, a tradition that goes back to the roots of the game. Here you’ll find a dark gritty world of evil sorcerers and decadent cities, where the protagonists are motivated more y greed and self-interest than by altruistic virtue. Fighter, rogue, and barbarian characters tend to be far more common that wizards, clerics, or paladins. In such a pulp fantasy setting, those who wield magic often symbolize decadence and corruption of civilization, and wizards are the classic villains in these settings. Magic items are therefore rare and often dangerous.

Certain Dungeons and Dragons novels follow in the footsteps of classic sword-and-sorcery novels. The world of Athas (as featured in numerous Dark Sun novels and game products), with its heroic gladiators and tyrannical sorcerer-kings, belongs squarely in this game."

Wholesome family entertainment.
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2019-03-01 at 07:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I will bide my time, waiting for your order to rise up in a coup and seize the means of production. It will be a bath of blood.
    It's incredibly overcrowded, law school is frighteningly expensive, and the pithiest I've heard was a lawyer talking to an L1 class, "oh, if you thought it was hard getting into law school..."

Of course, some fields like Space Law are relatively obscure, have only a few colleges in the country offering certification on space law, and judging by the direction several governments and private companies seem to be going in coupled with the fact that a lot of the old legislation and treaties were written during the space race, one could wager that there'll likely be more demand for that speciality than many others in the near future.

Of course, there's also always corporate or government work. Nice, soul-deadening, spirit-crushing work. Or private firms that insist you try to find new and revolutionary ways to squeeze in more billable hours in your already overworked day.

Bytheway,if anyone wants to donate a new building in my name so I can get into an ivy league school, please feel free. Screw specialty at that point, C's get degrees and networking is WAY more important there.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-03-01 at 12:32 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why, yes, I can see fire, blood, and general chaos if Green Dragon wyrmlings are let into a Platinum(?) dragon's lair.
    They are half dragon. Also, I am a small, fuzzy, green dragon. We run toward neutral good, unlike our large, scaly counterparts. Well, good-ish. Good is a factor in my alignment. I am fairly certain that my children follow their mother in being rather chaotic. I still remember her turning and kissing me passionately when I introduced a particularly absurd rule to Mao.

On the subject of steak, my advice is to sear the steak on a cast iron until the surfaces are nicely browned, and then stick the pan in the oven for 10-15 minutes. I haven't ever actually done that, but we have done the "sear on stove, put in oven" a couple times with non-stick aluminum pans and a cookie sheet and it turned out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Ah, but since it now has Roland's name on it, that surely means he's technically the thread creator, so TvTyrant and Rockphed are still in the running to create the new thread when this one hits 50...
    Yes, but the rules also say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Rules
    14. Once you have made a Random Banter thread, you must wait 50 threads before making another thread.
    So, technically, they both made a Random Banter thread, it just didn't stay made.
    So, clearly we need to argue about the semantics of who needs to wait 49 more threads, and who only 48.

(Granted, I dunno if there are even 50 Random Banterers left to make threads at this rate. We'll have to trick poor shmucks into making them for us. )

7. - Top - End - #37

Yes, but the rules also say:

So, technically, they both made a Random Banter thread, it just didn't stay made.
    So, clearly we need to argue about the semantics of who needs to wait 49 more threads, and who only 48.

(Granted, I dunno if there are even 50 Random Banterers left to make threads at this rate. We'll have to trick poor shmucks into making them for us. )
    Hmmmm. An alteration of the rules might be in order. I recommend a coup.

8. - Top - End - #38

My sister is currently working her way through law school, and let me tell you, it ain't no cakewalk. Between the cost and the stress, I'm surprised people make it out without severe trauma and thousand yard stares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    My sister is currently working her way through law school, and let me tell you, it ain't no cakewalk. Between the cost and the stress, I'm surprised people make it out without severe trauma and thousand yard stares.
    Best of luck to her! I hear it gets better after the third year.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Best of luck to her! I hear it gets better after the third year.
    At my university, the only graduate students whose spouses have a support group are law students. We don't have a medical school, else there would probably be a "doctor in training spouse" support group. The law school also keeps a weird schedule with no Friday classes and starting at different times from the rest of the school. The law building used to be across a road from the rest of campus, but they recently removed that road. It is now much easier to walk to the law building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmmm. An alteration of the rules might be in order. I recommend a coup.
    What is it with you and overthrowing things? That seems to be an alarming trend with you.

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateCaptain

We'll have to trick poor shmucks into making them for us.)
    Hey guys, what did I miss? *canned laughter*

But seriously, I haven't made a thread and I don't think factotum has either. We're fine as long as we have a turnover of at least one banterer every couple of months.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rockphed's Ridiculous (Sports Hating) Random Banter #221

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Anyway, my older brother and I are celebrating the anniversary of our mother died. It's been 7 years our mother died by type 2 diabetes. To be honest I really not sad anymore. I'm sad a little bit to a much lesser degree.
    My Step-dad and I were really close, but when he died of stroke complications I was devastated. I hurt for at least a decade.That was a quarter of a century ago. I still hurt to a degree and always will. That is parental love. Embrace it for it is the foundation of being a good parent yourself.

David J.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Speaking of steaks... *edit* "Perfect Cast Iron Steak" recipe advises putting the pan in a 1500 degrees Fahrenheit oven, then putting it on a stovetop and cooking the steaks on it (flipping them about every two minutes).

So which do I do?

I don't want my iron collection to only ward off Elves!
    fifteen hundred degrees ?? That might be a bit too warm. Might want to turn it down a couple of degrees.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    fifteen hundred degrees ?? That might be a bit too warm. Might want to turn it down a couple of degrees.

Dang it auto-correct!

500 degrees Fahrenheit oven.

Will Edit.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I'm considering investigating some dance classes both to help get me in shape and also meet new people. Anybody got advice on what sort of styles to try? I'm ideally looking for the types of dance they require a partner, not a troupe.

Also, I hate sports. In all seriousness if I find some classes near me might make a dedicated thread.

In other news, my shifts for next month have arrived, I've got the day off that I wanted and I'm going to make an appointment with my GP to talk about potentially having depression or anxiety. Hopefully I'll be able to go on the magic calm pills and be referred to a therapist soon.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #47

What is it with you and overthrowing things? That seems to be an alarming trend with you.
    I dunno, looks fun.
    Dang it auto-correct!

Will Edit.
    Please don't. Not nearly enough recipes ca for 1500°.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm considering investigating some dance classes both to help get me in shape and also meet new people. Anybody got advice on what sort of styles to try? I'm ideally looking for the types of dance they require a partner, not a troupe.

Also, I hate sports. In all seriousness if I find some classes near me might make a dedicated thread.

In other news, my shifts for next month have arrived, I've got the day off that I wanted and I'm going to make an appointment with my GP to talk about potentially having depression or anxiety. Hopefully I'll be able to go on the magic calm pills and be referred to a therapist soon.
    As far as dancing goes, I know I have heard of a few dance clubs that alternate through various styles over time, so you can pick up a few. Otherwise, I think something energetic like swing or salsa. They at least all look fun to do.

As far as the Thread making goes, I can be a bit faster on the ball to grab the next one. Then I can work on my own style of the rules list.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    My dad at least, has to deal with late nights, aggressive / silly clients, people calling for help annoying times, CPS, and other stupid things. Depending on the field, you are basically dealing with people who are probably going through really bad times in their life, and you have to navigate a very complex system for them, competing against others doing the same thing. It can be straining.
    (Though there are some fun moments, and satisfying ones. For instance, in one of my uncle's recent trials, the prosecution's key witness says, under oath, that he is willing to criminally lie for his own benefit, and that he lied to the prosecution while they were enticing him to testify. It was quite exciting.)

—Caerulea
    I will bide my time, waiting for your order to rise up in a coup and seize the means of production. It will be a bath of blood.

It's incredibly overcrowded, law school is frighteningly expensive, and the pithiest I've heard was a lawyer talking to an L1 class, "oh, if you thought it was hard getting into law school..."
    I thought about going into law a long time ago (around 2000), but I wanted to do high tech and computer-stuff law, and I realized that my choices were working for the people I was generally mad at, but who had money, or working for something like the EFF and being broke. I decided not to go into law.

So that's another thing to think about. If you're passionate about an issue, but one side of the likely arguments is not the side you'd want to be arguing in court, then it's probably better to get into activism for that issue rather than go into law to work on that issue, unless you're very pro the side that has lots of money to hire lawyers.

In more typical "stuff that neither makes the news nor decides important new precedents" law, most of the lawyers I know are not doing particularly well financially. It's hard to find enough clients who can afford to pay the kind of money they need to charge to meet their expenses, particularly if they went into law because they wanted to help people (since many of the people who need help do not have a lot of money). I've heard that's gotten even harder to get hired by a firm out of law school since there's an oversupply, and everyone I know with their own practice is stressed about finding clients. (Well, one person who does something pretty obscure seems to mostly be doing ok, but that has to do with just how few people are in that particular highly-regulated corner of financial law and how few other lawyers want to mess with it.)

If there's a specific legal specialty you're into that you've confirmed has actual demand (back when I was considering it this would tend to be things that involve both being a lawyer and being very knowledgeable about x, where x is something that most lawyers know nothing about yet is something that people with money go to court over - finance topics are probably the best fit here, but tech stuff might be too), then maybe law school will be a good idea. If it's just because it's a "path to a professional career through school", it's really not as much that thing anymore (I recommend nursing or welding if you want to get a job as soon as you're out of school, and I don't know of any "insta-hire into a job where you wear a suit" career anymore).

Of course, as already mentioned, if you get into an Ivy for law school, that's different and have fun working at a large firm where people spend more on a single suit than I spend on a week's worth of clothes. (To be fair, if I spent that much on work clothes I would probably be wearing, say, a velvet doublet, hose, boots, and an enormous hat to work just because I could, so maybe it's for the best that I don't have that clothing budget for work wear...)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of steaks...

In my copy of Cook's Illustrated Cook it Right MEAT the "Pan-Seared Thick-Cut Steaks" recipe advises cooking the steaks in a 275 degrees Fahrenheit oven, and then searing them in a pan, while my copy of Cook's Illustrated 25 Years of Your Favorite Recipes the "Perfect Cast Iron Steak" recipe advises putting the pan in a 500 degrees Fahrenheit oven, then putting it on a stovetop and cooking the steaks on it (flipping them about every two minutes).

So which do I do?
    Depends on the steak.

The first (cooking the steaks in an oven, and then searing in a pan) is the "Reverse Sear" method. IMO, it's great for thicker steaks (>1 in. thick).

The second recipe, where you preheat the pan, is better for thinner steaks (i.e. flank steak).

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    Depends on the steak.

The first (cooking the steaks in an oven, and then searing in a pan) is the "Reverse Sear" method. IMO, it's great for thicker steaks (>1 in. thick).

The second recipe, where you preheat the pan, is better for thinner steaks (i.e. flank steak).

What temperatures, and for how long?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

My Step-dad and I were really close, but when he died of stroke complications I was devastated. I hurt for at least a decade. That was a quarter of a century ago. I still hurt to a degree and always will. That is parental love. Embrace it for it is the foundation of being a good parent yourself.

David J.
    My condolences. It takes time to heal. You have my support.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I've just had my first insurance of being mistaken for a woman on online dating.

I mean, I guess I kind of look that feminine? I'll take and link a picture tomorrow, then you can be the judge of that.

Anyway, I'm now beginning to generate my collection of putdowns. Next time this happens I want to be prepared.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #54

PirateCaptain

I dunno, looks fun.

Depends what you're cooking. I have recipes for some delicious perovskites around here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Anyway, I'm now beginning to generate my collection of putdowns. Next time this happens I want to be prepared.
    Where do you want them to fall on the sliding scale of polite but firm to devastating insult?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Transferred from the other thread, because I apparently skimmed a little too heavily:

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Wooden stakes were mentioned; those also kill people who are still alive.
    As I've said before, dying to a wooden stake through the heart is not a vulnerability. It is the absence of a resistance. Similar points apply to decapitation.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

What temperatures, and for how long?
    How long is a tough question - it's going to depend on the steak. I recommend going off of internal temperature of the steak- instant read thermometers are pretty cheap nowadays.

Recipe for reverse searing

And for pan searing
    Last edited by Jack Squat; 2019-03-02 at 07:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    My condolences. It takes time to heal. You have my support.
    Thank you for this.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thank you for this.
    You're welcome.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Dang it auto-correct!

Will Edit.
    Why does your auto-correct correct 500 to 1500? What do you normally do in your kitchen? Pottery?!

You can do some pretty awesome leek at those temperatures. Get the thickest leek you can find, cook it for 15 minutes or so, peel off the carbonised layers, and serve. It's like a leek soup in solid, creamy form!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Why does your auto-correct correct 500 to 1500?...
    It changed 500 to 1500e (and when I typed this out just now it changed 500 to 000, and I had to erase and re-type)

I think my phone is possessed by a demon.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!